Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

Top 5 Most Surprising Players

1) A. Smith QB SF: Looking more and more like the real deal, I think he continues to improve, and will be a top fantasy QB as time goes on.

2) C. Pennington QB NYJ: Looks like he has more than just rubber bands and Elmer's Glue holding that shoulder together, but how long until it needs another overhaul at the shop?

3) M. Colston WR NO: Rookie came out of nowhere to become a solid fantasy presence. Not a TE but he plays one in some fantasy leagues.

4) L. Coles WR NYJ: Coles has rounded back into form, but can the Jets keep the arial assualt going?

5) R. Grossman QB Chi: Does the Chicago offense finally have some teeth? Detroit says yes, Minnesota says not so much...

My list's a little QB heavy, but I've been surprised by these guys' performances. Any other opinions?

You can add A. Bryant to that list as well. Or Gore.

What about Chris Henry? Can he keep this up even as a #3 WR (at least until he's suspended or in jail).

You can add A. Bryant to that list as well. Or Gore.

I didn't include them because I expected them both to perform well, maybe not to top 10 standards, but I expected more out of them than I did from my top 5...

Colston is a freak and he's a solid play at WR now also... More reliable then J. Horn thats for sure...

yeah, i chose horn in our draft and after the first week, i picked up colston off of waivers. by week 3, i dropped horn. what a bum!

I doubt Chris Henry will keep up. CJ will step up definately

Can you sound anymore novice?. You doubt Chris Henry will keep up huh? His emergence of a decent #3 WR or lowend #2 in some deeper leagues has caught the attention of the NFL. Even with CJ and Housh starting, he has now doubt become a favorite target of Palmer. It helps that CJ and Housh receive more attention from secondaries leaving Henry open in the red zone at times. The playoffs last year and last week's game is evident of that. It also helps that the Bengals offense is flat out scary. The stats speak for itself.

The commentary from experts alike that rings consistently more and more, is that he just has freakish skills. Tall, strong and the knack to get open...point blank.

Cat's outa the bag....The Bengal offense is the new Indianapolis Colts. A RB to keep things honest, a top tier QB slinging TDs effortlessly and a WR core that resembles the Colts of 2004. The only difference is that unlikely Stokely (slower, shorter), Henry is a talent with skills that shouldn't diminish. If he weren't a Bengal, he would start elsewhere.

Unless of course he ends up in jail.

Pennington to Coles/Cotchery suprises me the most. Not that Coles hasn't had good years statically recently, but the fact that team has not been able to run, is a very good sign that this connection can really only get better as the year progresses, and they figure out some sort of ground game.

Laurence Maroney... it only gets better from here.

I would have Greg Jennings at the top of the list. He will be a strong candidate for ROY.

Jennings and Colston should be on that list together. They look good and are in systems that will keep them producing for the foreseeable future.

Another sneaky surprise, though not to alot of us in the know, is Deuce. Sure he's been a top back before, but all the talk out of NO centered around Bush coming into the season, yet here is Deuce putting up solid #'s. He's a top 10 RB in my league, scoring wise, and should continue to put up consistent numbers. Not bad for a 6th rounder.

Biggest surprises by position:

QB: Rex Grossman--Who knew the Bears would have a stronger passing game than running game?

RB: Brian Westbrook--Not that he wasn't expected to do well, but he's been a dominant fantasy player. He and LaDainian Tomlinson have been far and away the best RBs in fantasy.

WR: Marques Colston--Lots of candidates here (DJax, Laveranues, Cotchery, Berrien, Toomer), but raise you hand if you'd heard of Colston before the regular season started.

TE: D Clark--Dallas or Desmond, take your pick. Desmond has emerged as a weapon in the surprisingly solid Chicago passing attack. Dallas has more touchdowns (2) than Harrison and Wayne combined (0).

K: Robbie Gould--I starting to think I'm beating a dead horse, but who knew Chicago was capable of giving him a decent number of oppotunities? Incidentally, case in point that you shouldn't pick a kicker early, here are the top four kickers: Robbie Gould, Nate Kaeding, John Carney, Jeff Wilkins.

Rex Grossman even making it to regular season healthy and preforming very well has been the biggest suprise for me.

Biggest surprises by position:

QB: Rex Grossman--Who knew the Bears would have a stronger passing game than running game?

RB: Brian Westbrook--Not that he wasn't expected to do well, but he's been a dominant fantasy player. He and LaDainian Tomlinson have been far and away the best RBs in fantasy.

WR: Marques Colston--Lots of candidates here (DJax, Laveranues, Cotchery, Berrien, Toomer), but raise you hand if you'd heard of Colston before the regular season started.

TE: D Clark--Dallas or Desmond, take your pick. Desmond has emerged as a weapon in the surprisingly solid Chicago passing attack. Dallas has more touchdowns (2) than Harrison and Wayne combined (0).

as far as the TE goes, its gotta be LJ Smith...no one has come on stronger at that position than him

While Garfield's comment was short, I wouldn't necessarily consider it "novice".

Sure, Henry has had two solid weeks in a row. But the fact of the matter is that those weeks were, for all intents and purposes, completely sans Chad Johnson. He's hardly a sure thing to keep this recent production up. Seriously. Anyone who thinks that is the real novice.

He may have some absolute fire weeks from here on out, but so will Housh and CJ. So let's not overreact and send Chris Henry to the pro bowl just yet...

That being said -- If CJ or Housh's injury problems continue to render them less than 100%, that would bode well for Henry stepping up into the higher ranks of the NFL's receivers. But until this happens, he is still a #3 WR on his team. Incredibly talented and capable of putting up huge numbers -- yes. On a consistent basis. Let's just wait and see on that one.

(and yeah, yeah, I know -- a #3 WR on the Bengals is as good as having a #2 or even #1 on some teams, blah, blah, blah...and all of this is ignoring the whole suspension potential)

-R

Can you sound anymore novice?. You doubt Chris Henry will keep up huh? His emergence of a decent #3 WR or lowend #2 in some deeper leagues has caught the attention of the NFL. Even with CJ and Housh starting, he has now doubt become a favorite target of Palmer. It helps that CJ and Housh receive more attention from secondaries leaving Henry open in the red zone at times. The playoffs last year and last week's game is evident of that. It also helps that the Bengals offense is flat out scary. The stats speak for itself.

The commentary from experts alike that rings consistently more and more, is that he just has freakish skills. Tall, strong and the knack to get open...point blank.

Cat's outa the bag....The Bengal offense is the new Indianapolis Colts. A RB to keep things honest, a top tier QB slinging TDs effortlessly and a WR core that resembles the Colts of 2004. The only difference is that unlikely Stokely (slower, shorter), Henry is a talent with skills that shouldn't diminish. If he weren't a Bengal, he would start elsewhere.

I agree with you but have just this concern - do you think there's a chance that CIN could/would bench him this week to make a disciplinary statement to the team? :dunno:

I have to start C. Henry over either Matt Jones, Colston or A. Bryant to get him into my lineup so I want to make sure he doesn't get punished for the whole puking-out-of-the-SUV-while-Thurman-gets-DUI thing.

C. Henry on the field = :clap:

C. Henry on the streets = :unsure:

I've got to say, you are the one that sounds like a novice. Henry is the classic #3 reciever on a high powered offense. He is Kevin Curtis. Unless injuries keep CJ or TJ out, he will be a hit or miss player, at best. The ONLY #3 that has ever had consistent value was Stokely, and that came during a record breaking year. While the Bengals offense is very good, I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw you compare them to the 2004 Colts. Henry has had 2 good games and 1 completely non existent game. The two good games happened when, guess what, CJ and/or TJ were not 100%. A #3 does not see enough formations and isn't on the field enough to be considered a weekly starter. A decent #3 is pushing it and a #2, even in deep leagues, is flat out laughable.

How about DJax? Yeah he's done it before, but coming off a big knee injury and not practicing or playing all pre-season he was a big question mark. He's the #1 WR in my league right now.