Sign in to follow this  
markblaz

**Official College Bowl Games Betting Thread**

CMU bettors: If CMU leads by 21 at the half, you looking to middle? If so, what's a strong line to grab?

CMU bettors: If CMU leads by 21 at the half, you looking to middle? If so, what's a strong line to grab?

No I'm letting this one ride. I think CMU is only going to increase their lead in the 2nd half. I wouldn't even think about the middle unless MTSU was getting +7 or more.

No I'm letting this one ride. I think CMU is only going to increase their lead in the 2nd half. I wouldn't even think about the middle unless MTSU was getting +7 or more.

Moot point anyway since CMU didn't add to their 14-point lead. I'm a little worried, but I did get a better line than most (bought a half point when the line was at 7.5). Hopefully the worst-case scenario is a 7-point CMU win. Obviously, I like what you've presented better.

I am tempted to take the CMU team over in the 2nd half (13.5) but the odds suck at -130 so I'll just hope for the best.

Good luck for the game.

:dunno:

Here you go. Big punt return has to result in a TD for any chance at a backdoor cover on this sorry game.

I hope CMU at least attempts a FG here deep in MTSU territory. Would hate to watch a 21-point lead evaporate to a push...or worse.

I hope CMU at least attempts a FG here deep in MTSU territory. Would hate to watch a 21-point lead evaporate to a push...or worse.

At least we got that one!

:cheers:

At least we got that one!

:clap:

Was closer than I would have liked to see it though. Congrats and thanks for talking me out of middling!

What's up for tomorrow? I'm thinking UCLA will be a consensus play and the line is only at -3 right now. I'd like to lock it in if that's what you, Art, and hopefully philly are thinking.

Over/Under is a bit low, but mid-week games have been low scoring for the most part.

Was closer than I would have liked to see it though. Congrats and thanks for talking me out of middling!

What's up for tomorrow? I'm thinking UCLA will be a consensus play and the line is only at -3 right now. I'd like to lock it in if that's what you, Art, and hopefully philly are thinking.

Over/Under is a bit low, but mid-week games have been low scoring for the most part.

I too thought UCLA would be the popular play. That being said, I have read some articles indicating otherwise. This line has come down a bit from its open (from 4 to 3). The books seem to think maybe UCLA has lost some of the momentum that they would have had if this game was played the week after their USC upset. After looking at both teams it is pretty clear to me that the talent is on FSU's side. Granted, they have had this talent all year and have done next to nothing with it. The question is whether the Noles will decide to showcase their athletes in a low level bowl like this. For some odd reason I think they might. It is more of a gut play than anything else.

I am taking the Noles ML +145

UNDER 39

My Bowl Record 5-2

UCLA/Fla St.

Two stout defenses and FSU comes limping in at .500

I think UCLA may come out a little flat but eventually will score somewhere in the 14 to 17 range. FSU is horrible at running the ball and has two bad QBs. I don't see them with any motivation in this game and Craptastic Bowden is still calling the plays.

UCLA -3 FOUR UNITS

UCLA/FSU UNDER 39 TWO UNITS

gl to all

Well, after a scorching last couple weeks of the regular season, I've come down to earth in a big way. Typical. I build my season record by carefully choosing which games to play, then play bowl games I have no feel for. Fortunately I'm still hot in my straight-up bowl pools, but have lost the last 3 ATS after a nice start. Time to get back to winning ways with tonight's game.

3-4 bowls, 17-13 last 30

UCLA comes in playing well, having won their last 3, including the big one over USC. Florida State limps in, having lost two of their last three. The Bruins are strong at QB, settling down nicely when Cowan took over the job, while Olsen is a great second option. FSU, conversely, is in the old "if you don't have one QB, you have none" rut. Neither Weatherford or Lee has done a thing this season. The Noles, for that matter, haven't done much of anything since a week 4 win over Rice. They can claim the New Orleans Bowl title, with a win over Troy this year as well. After that? Not so good, finishing up on a 3-5 run, with less than thrilling wins over Duke, Virginia and Western Michigan and some embarassing losses (@NC St, 30-0 to Wake Forest).

Both teams are solid defensively, ranking in the top 15 nationally in run defense. The problem for FSU is that UCLA finished out the year playing the pass as well, and their pass rush is among the nation's best. That doesn't bode well for an offense that was often "none dimensional" during the course of the season. Neither offense is going to make anyone shake in their boots, but Cowan has shown a nice command of the team, and post-season practice as the #1 should benefit him greatly.

Once UCLA's pass rush came on, their spotty pass defense improved dramatically. The Bruins are also one of the few programs in the country that consistently has athletes nearly the same caliber as FSU. It's a little scary giving poiints to the Noles; aside from the Wake debacle, they didn't lose another game by more than 7 pts. But I think the season ending loss to Florida was this team's bowl game, while UCLA is a young squad building toward 2007. The Bruins need to get up early; you don't want FSU to get any kind of momentum.

UCLA -3

Good luck to all!

I like the under as well in this game, and not because of the weather.

But I think the season ending loss to Florida was this team's bowl game

I look at it totally opposite. UCLA's last game against USC was their bowl game/national championship game. I think UCLA spent all their emotion in that USC game, that game made their season. While FSU is looking for their big win in this game. I think they come out with a lot of emotion, and emotion is the key to a good running game. FSU is always solid defensively, I look for them to win the game outright, in a close game. Its always a good bet to fade the team coming off a huge win. Just a couple off the top of my head this season. Louisville beats West Virginia, then loses to Rutgers. Rutgers beats Louisville, loses to Cincinnati.

Bad timing. Looked at the lines upon getting home and saw -3 and 39. Came to this thread and got my -3 for UCLA in...only to watch the total drop to 38.5. Bought the half making tonight:

UCLA -3

Under 39 (-120)

Little hesitant about having two plays in the same game (especially since it could get scary if the scoring picks up) but can't fade the consensus on this one.

Good luck to all!

:shocking:

I look at it totally opposite. UCLA's last game against USC was their bowl game/national championship game. I think UCLA spent all their emotion in that USC game, that game made their season. While FSU is looking for their big win in this game. I think they come out with a lot of emotion, and emotion is the key to a good running game. FSU is always solid defensively, I look for them to win the game outright, in a close game. Its always a good bet to fade the team coming off a huge win. Just a couple off the top of my head this season. Louisville beats West Virginia, then loses to Rutgers. Rutgers beats Louisville, loses to Cincinnati.

I think you're both wrong to be betting based off guesses about emotion from recent games.

As for your examples, they can be attributed to home field rather than emotional letdown. Louisville played WVU at home and then Rutgers on the road. Rutgers played Louisville at home and then Cincy on the road.

I think you're both wrong to be betting based off guesses about emotion from recent games.

You have to factor that into this game, recent games play a role determining a line. I am predicting that UCLA will come out flat, and FSU will come out with some emotion. Due to that, FSU should be able to run the ball well against the UCLA defense. I dont think either team will be able to throw the ball tonight. Its going to come down to defense and running the ball. With everything considered I like FSU to win the game based on that. I like the FSU defense to swallow up the UCLA offense, and I think by running the ball, they put up enough points to win this game. Im not making my prediction solely based upon each teams lasts games, but, when you look at the outcomes of each teams last games i give the edge to FSU in that category.

As for your examples, they can be attributed to home field rather than emotional letdown. Louisville played WVU at home and then Rutgers on the road. Rutgers played Louisville at home and then Cincy on the road.

I agree.

And, another huge difference between the above mentioned games and the UCLA-SC game is that the UCLA-SC game was played 25 days ago. That's almost a month to get over any emotional high. They may have come out flat from the emotional high if they played FSU the next week, but with over 3 weeks to prepare for this game, I don't see any sort of "emotional letdown."

The "emotion from the previous game" factor should be pretty low. Plus, UCLA's players feel like they have something to play for (momentum heading into next year). I'm not so sure FSU feels the same way. UCLA also sold out its ticket allotment for the Emerald Bowl. FSU sold 1000 seats to UCLA to use for the game. FSU fans aren't too excited about the game, but UCLA's fans are.

I like the FSU defense to swallow up the UCLA offense, and I think by running the ball, they put up enough points to win this game.

How are they going to run the ball on UCLA?

Their leading rusher, Lorenzo Booker, averages 44 yards per game. Their second leading rusher is their backup QB, Xavier Lee. They are 103rd (out of 117) in the country running the ball with 93 yards per game. UCLA's rushing defense is ranked 12th in the country, allowing less than 89 yards per game. USC had negative yards rushing in the second half against UCLA. This part of the game is a huge mismatch in UCLA's favor.

I'm very iffy about this game for so many reasons. Fl. State is bad this year, but they do have a lot of pure athletes that COULD takeover a game if given the opportunity. That being said, their O-Line sucks and they have 2 underperforming QBs. UCLA is coming into this game on the heels of the biggest football win in recent school history. Their QB is very composed for being young, and can run if there are no options open. However, I have a very hard time betting against Bobby Bowden tonight. He hasn't finished <.500 in 30 years. Tough to think he's going to LET his kids lose tonight. This is a Bobby Bowden bet all the way. FSU +4 (on bodog) for 2 units.

Overall College YTD: 260-226-6; +48.52 units

Subset: 2 unit plays or higher: 133-107-2; +59.62 units

Subset: College bowls: 4-2; +6.5 units

Wednesday

Florida St (Moneyline@+140) for 1 unit WINNER

Seems like every game is going under, and the favorite is covering. Weird. Also, UCLA is getting 75% of the action. The line keeps dropping. This game smells. Of course, last night seemed fishy, and Cent Mich covered anyway. :o

This is not a strong play, but simply a situational play.

Yes, Flor St had a bad year. Yes, UCLA beat USC. I bet on UCLA. I remember that game quite well. And USC was very flat after a huge win over Notre Dame the previous week. And UCLA's defense kept them down most of the game. Last year, Flor St was overmatched vs Penn St in the Orange Bowl at the end of the year. Flor St was a double digit dog. And Flor St took Penn St to OT. I am looking for a repeat of last year. It doesn't have to make sense. I just get the feeling Bobby Bowden wants to give a national TV audience a huge middle finger tonight. Somehow, someway, they got it done. Also....

Bowl teams playing off back-to-back upset wins are 0-10 SU (2-8 ATS) since 1980, including 0-6 ATS as favorites. UCLA upset Arizona St and USC to end the season.

Florida St wins the game. Simply a gut play, not a logical play. Good luck to all.

This is a bigger game for UCLA than FSU and a chance for them to punctuate an excellent end to their season. That being said; I think FSU has the better talent and may want to end the season on a high note. They have had time to review their dissapointing season and this is their only means to salvage it. UCLA has the special teams edge but I think Weatherford is better than people think and FSU will have some success through the air. If FSU protects the football, the strong FSU defense will do the rest. UCLA has had plenty of time to avoid an emotional letdown but this game will not match their victory over USC. This is FSU's only taste of success this year and I'm afraid it will be at the expense of UCLA. I like FSU and the under. :banana:

From what I have been reading, bad weather tonight, and VERY windy. Turnovers will be key, I think.

How are they going to run the ball on UCLA?

as i said above, a lot of emotion helps the running game, i see fsu fired up tonight, and therefore being able torun the ball. you dont have to agree with me, but that is my theory.

I'm 4-4 so far in bowl games and have been going back and forth on this game. The favs. have been dominant early and I don't know if I have the stomach to keep riding them. FSU has been absolutely horrible this year but only lost to the supposed #2 team in their last game by 7 points. Add to that everyone on UCLA after their big USC win. I have to take the contrarian play and go against the squares but this game really should be a UCLA cover IMO. I wasn't around last night but that CMU cover had me sweating bullets when late it looked like a classic back door cover by Mid Tenn. I about sheit when CMU hit the late fg to ice it. I'm fading the squares tonight with a crapass FSU squad +3. This game hardly enthuses me.

I'm 4-4 so far in bowl games and have been going back and forth on this game. The favs. have been dominant early and I don't know if I have the stomach to keep riding them. FSU has been absolutely horrible this year but only lost to the supposed #2 team in their last game by 7 points. Add to that everyone on UCLA after their big USC win. I have to take the contrarian play and go against the squares but this game really should be a UCLA cover IMO. I wasn't around last night but that CMU cover had me sweating bullets when late it looked like a classic back door cover by Mid Tenn. I about sheit when CMU hit the late fg to ice it. I'm fading the squares tonight with a crapass FSU squad +3. This game hardly enthuses me.

Who you calling a square? I'm a mush!

Nice tackling UCLA. Great job! :pointstosky:

:banana:

Early, but I'm liking the way this game looks so far. Weatherford sucks as advertised, but FSU finally had a key run to get a TD. UCLA looks like it's going to have a tough time moving the ball - the FSU D is just SO fast.

UPDATE: Nevermind.

Guys:

My under is pretty much kicked. But after the last UCLA TD, I got Under 54.5. Scoring doesn't seem to be stopping at all though. 2nd half O/U is set at 21. Should I just hedge now and cut my losses, or sit on it but potentially lose double on the total (under 39 and under 54.5)?

Also kicking myself for not getting FSU +10.5 (+125) during in-game betting. Once UCLA took the FG rather than score a TD, odds dropped to -115 and after the first FSU 1st down, +7.5 (-120).

Hopefully, UCLA gets off a quick score and I can get a double-digit line on Free Shoes.

Overall College YTD: 260-226-6; +48.52 units

Subset: College bowls: 4-2; +6.5 units

Wednesday

Florida St (Moneyline@+140) for 1 unit

Florida St wins the game. Simply a gut play, not a logical play. Good luck to all.

:doublethumbsup:

It was nice to wake up and see FSU blew away UCLA last night at the end. I flipped a coin on the early game today, came up Bama. Looks like a hard game to cap anyways. GL today everyone

Overall College YTD: 261-226-6; +49.92 units

Subset: College bowls: 5-2; +7.9 units

Thursday

Oklahoma St (-2) for 1 unit WINNER

Kansas St (+8.5) for 3 units LOSER!!!!!

Texas A&M (+3) for 3 units LOSER!!!!!

Adding Parlay .5 units to win 1.3 units.... LOSER

K St (+3.5) 2nd H

Tex A&M (+.5) 2nd H

Will put in late games after work. Busy day at work today. I'll try to add any other thoughts later. Here are some quick thumbnails.

In a match up of two .500 teams, Oklahoma St is the much better offensive team, Alabama is the much better defensive team. However, Alabama only played four road games this year, losing all of them. Okl St went 2-4 SU on the road this year. Also, Okl St averaged 27 pts per game, gave up 28 pts per game on the road. Alabama averaged 16 points and gave up 24 points on the road. I think Okl St is more capable as a road team in this game.

Kansas St and Rutgers are a similar in many respects. Both have very good defenses, both have below average passing attacks, and both want to run the ball. Kansas St definitely improved toward the end of the year, ripping off three straight wins including beating Texas. They then suffered a letdown vs Kansas. Rutgers had hopes for an unbeaten season, until losing 2 of the last 3 games, to Cincinnati and West Virginia. What the heck is the mind set of Rutgers, plummeting from a BCS bowl to a minor bowl? Especially after losing in OT at West Virginia. I like Kansas St to hang around in an evenly matched game.

Another matchup of similar teams. Two good running teams. Texas A&M has the better defense, Cal has the better offense. Again, Cal screwed up a strong season by struggling down the stretch, losing to Arizona, USC, and then barely beating Stanford. Here they are again, in a minor bowl. And in a similar situations the last couple of years, Cal got crushed by Texas Tech, and won by 7 as a 7point favorite vs an overmatched BYU team. Cal has not made a positive impression in a bowl game for years. Tex A&M lost 3 games this year, by 4 pts, by 1 point, and by 1 point. So why are we to expect that they will lose decidedly for the first time this year vs a team they are arguably equal to or better than? I like Texas A&M to hang around and possibly win. Also, the PAC-10 is not having a good bowl season, with Oregon, UCLA, and Arizona St all losing and not coming close to covering.

2006-07 Bowl Record: 6-3

Oklahoma St. -2 over Bama

Over 50

As a general rule I like to look at bowl games where the coaching situation is in flux. Alabama fits this to a tee. When there is uncertainty at the head coaches spot I usually fade that team. (CMU was an anomoly)

In this spot I think OSU's offense will put up some points on a good, but not great, Bama D. The Cowboy offense is very balanced. They average over 200 yards on the ground and through the air. Therefore, Bama shouldn't be able to focus on one aspect of the OSU offense. Also, Bama has a lot of people banged up, where OSU seems to be almost completely healthy.

I feel like the Over is the play because of OSU's good offense and porous defense. Bama should be able to put up some points as well against the Cowboy defense that gives up 25.2 points a game.

Tex. A&M +3.5 over Cal.

Over 53

Cal is not a very good team away from Berkeley. A&M is undefeated away from home. I think the Bears' late season swoon will continue tonight. Cal had high hopes for this season and didn't come anywhere nearing accomplishing their goals. A&M is coming off a nice win over Texas and want to prove that they are for real. I think Lane will put up some good yardage against an average Cal D and Goodson will have a big play or two. I am possibly going to take the moneyline, as I think the Aggies can pull off the upset. Also looking at the Over here as trends are pointing to that as a possibility.

Over is 15-5-1 in TXAM last 21 night games.

California: Over is 8-3 in CAL last 11 non-conference games.

These trends, coupled with the fact that both teams put up about 30 pts. a game each, have put me on the Over.

I am probably staying away from the RU/KSU game. I worry about Rutgers not being motivated and being disappointed about being in the Texas Bowl. That being said, KSU does give up some pretty good yardage on the ground. However, I have a very tough time laying over 7 points with Mike Teel at the QB position. If Rutgers had a good QB this year they would likely be playing in a BCS game. It is a miracle that they won as many games as they did with Teel at QB.

GL to all!!

Got called away just prior to the 4th & 9 play last night. Came back minutes later to see that my hopes of getting off the schneid were unfounded. Boys, I'm so cold you should avert your eyes from my screen name.

Last night's game moves the common opponent trend to 4-0. Four games where the teams have had a common opp. The team that fared better (last night was Rice, who UCLA squeezed by and Fla St crushed) has won and covered all 4 bowl games.

No common opponents tonight, and I'm taking a pass on Rutgers-K State. I'm a Scarlet alum, and this game scares the hell out of me. Rutgers has to deal with the emotional swing of dropping from a BCS bowl & conference title to 3rd in the Big East and this crappy bowl. Making a bowl is a huge accomplishment for this Kansas State team. Their QB, Josh Freeman, is a national star in the making. Frosh, 6'6, 240, runs, throws, and doesn't appear to get rattled. Just the kind of mobile QB (think the frosh that played for WVU) that, despite inexperience, can spell trouble for Rutgers' defense. Hopefully Schiano's decision to stay at RU, along with his motivational skills, will have Rutgers ready to play. If so, the better team wins.

Bowls 3-5 ATS

Oklahoma State-Bama: The Tide simply can't score enough points; they posted a combined 43 pts in their last 3 games, all losses. The young QB Parker-Wilson should benefit, though, from the extra practice time and an OSU defense that makes a lot of mistakes. The Cowboys are explosive and balanced, with multiple quality players at all the skill positions. Reports out of Shreveport have the Bama players out late in the casinos, and the OSU squad taking this very seriously. Mike Gundy is building big things in Stillwater. Watch OSU's WR (Bowman, Woods, TE whose name escapes me). They are big, strong, fast, and tougher than a $5 steak.

Ok State -2

Texas A&M is 6 points away from being the biggest story in the nation this year, losing 3 games by that combined total (Tx Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska). They are a big, physical team that will run, run and run some more. Then they'll run it again with Lane, their 260 lb RB. While their passing game certainly isn't a thing of beauty, they do a good job of mixing in some big plays throwing. Cal thought they were BCS bound this year, and this game has to be a disappointment for them. Longshore and Lynch are really good college players, but the team as a whole has kind of fallen apart. The Aggies will dominate both lines of scrimmage. Cal will make some plays in the passing game, but A&M will simply wear them down. I think they win outright. Looks like it's shaping up to be a dismal bowl season for the Pac 10.

A&M +3.5

Good luck to all!

Thoughts about the Rutgers game. I see many are hesitant to lay the points with RU. I disagree. Rutgers' strength is run offense - they will run first, second, and pass third. KSU has a below average run D. RU will pound the ball with Rice and Leonard all day. I also think that RU pass offense has been a lot better towards the end of the season. Teel is turning out to be a decent QB - without the drops by a very young WR corps, RU would be sitting in Miami right now instead of Louisville.

KSU's QB seems to be developing nicely, and he will pose a problem. But unless he stops making bad decisions, I can see RU's quick defense forcing him into bad decisions. Even as he has played better as of late, Freeman still has just as many INT and TD over the past month.

As far as emotions go, Schiano has this team convinced that the only thing important right now is to make sure this group of seniors (who helped turned the program around) go out as winners. With a heavy run offense and some balance, along with a fast defense and a QB prone to turnovers I really see RU taking it to KSU.

RU 34

KSU 13

KSU has a below average run D. RU will pound the ball with Rice and Leonard all day.

I won't argue the rest of your post. Just wanted to disagree with this, strongly.

Kansas St allows 3.9 yards per rush vs teams that average 4.1 ypr.

Kansas St allows 5.1 yards per play vs teams that average 5.6 ypp.

Kansas St does have a pretty good defense. Not quite as good as Rutgers, but close.

Although Rutgers might find some success running the ball, I don't think it will be easy at all. Kansas St did face some pretty good running teams during the course of the season, so they probably won't be surprised by Rutgers running game.

I do think Rutgers is in a tough situational spot. If they are able to respond today, I will really be impressed.

Just my opinion.

Fair points Philly, but here is another piece of info from a local paper..

K-State may want to brace for a heavy dose of Ray Rice, especially since the sophomore running back seems to have a spring in his step again. Rice has proven he can handle a 30-carry-or-more load (Rutgers is 3-0 this year when he does) and the Wildcats defense doesn't scare anyone. The unit is No. 70 nationally against the run and No. 63 overall. With the wide receiver situation shaky for the Knights, this could be one of those ball-control performances for Rutgers -- which means plenty of Rice and Brian Leonard. The Wildcats were 7-5 and technically the Big 12's No. 8 team for a reason: They're not consistent and, outside of their special teams, they're average at best.

I've watched all the RU games this year (the Louisville game was the best sporting event I've ever been to), and I just think that this is not a team that will let down in a game like this. Obviously you can make the Cincinnati argument, but the team has had 4 weeks off since West Virginia, and I think Schiano will have the troops ready.

Guys, I can't concern myself with stats and reasoning. My bankroll has taken a huge hit since Sunday and I'm having a hell of a time getting off the schnide (even though I ended up buying back FSU +3 midgame, I still took a tremendous beating because of my two under plays).

What's the consensus plays tonight? Philly's bucking the trend (again) with KSU over Rutgers, but are there any plays you are all in agreement for?!?

2006 College Record

156-130-6 (54.5%) +13.86 units

2+ plays 30-28-1 +1.265 units

KSU +7.5 .5 unit LOSER

KSU +8.5 1 unit LOSER

KSU ML +258 .25 unit LOSER

This line moved in my favor after an early play i made a week or so ago. I really liked the side so I added a few extra plays.

All week i've been reading about "rutgers-the team one win from a bcs game, rutgers-so close to winning the big east, ect ect." this has to be a factor against rutgers psyche knowing they fell all the way to the texas bowl, a game on the nfl network! KSU on the other hand is back in a bowl game after a 2 year hiatus. They have to be pumped playing against a top 20 team. Plus, KSU gets back a number of hurt players like watts on def and figurs on offense. both played huge rolls this season. after the kansas game exposed ksu as being somewhat predictable on offense, you know the cats spent this whole month working on new wrinkles...you'll see prince throw the kitchen sink at rutgers like he's done against other highly ranked teams (louisville and texas come to mind-lots of trick plays.) I think the cats have enough to slow down the knights like they did against louisville and is explosive enough to score like they did against texas. Also, fwiw, public is all over rutgers, i see 80% as of right now.