Sign in to follow this  
Mack 1

Homer Mock Draft - ** DISCUSSION THREAD **

If I am picking the #2 spot in this homer mock, I would take best available (AP) if no-one trades to move up. I would change my pick if MM has the same idea.

Seeing how the Moss trade seems likely to happen according to the rumor mills, I like the pick of Calvin #1 overall.

Seeing how the Moss trade seems likely to happen according to the rumor mills, I like the pick of Calvin #1 overall.

Yea but look how good Vince Young did last year - turning a crappy start into 1 win versus the Pats in the final game for the playoffs. No way a wr can take the whole team and put it on his shoulders. Take Russell :thumbsup:

Yea but look how good Vince Young did last year - turning a crappy start into 1 win versus the Pats in the final game for the playoffs. No way a wr can take the whole team and put it on his shoulders. Take Russell :thumbsup:

You saying Russell = VY ?

You saying Russell = VY ?

Not a chance - but don't you like the example?:banana:

Are you guys going 72 hours between picks?????

I'll come back next week when your on pick 1.3 and start commenting.

I dont think we started yet, the raiders, have "signed" there draft pick early though. The plan is to do this on monday still.

Reasons why I picked Calvin #1:

- Best player available, that's a rule I live by, Fantasy football, madden drafts, etc...

- Calvin is a once in a lifetime player, I can definitely pass on the next vince young for the next TO (Without all the head problems)

- Calvin will be used for more than receiving.

- I am a strong believer that the starting job should NOT be handed to a rookie QB, they should sit for a year or two and breath it all in first before they become successful ie. Palmer, Rivers. And since JaMarcus is coming out as a junior, I really dont see him starting next year and being successful.

- I don't see JaMarcus being the next Vince Young. period.

I'm gonna wait to confer with swampdog before making the pick. I'm doing some traveling over the weekend but I'll be back on monday to get started.

happy st. patrick's day to all

I'm gonna wait to confer with swampdog before making the pick. I'm doing some traveling over the weekend but I'll be back on monday to get started.

BUMP

:ninja:

Lions are on the clock...

BUMP

:ninja:

Lions are on the clock...

I think their pick got snaggletoothed by the Raiders. :dunno: :banana: :banana:

I've been on the edge of my seat looking forward to this mock.

My a$$ has gone numb. :dunno:

Any day now Li-downs.

is the charger's 1st round pick here yet?

can i take a long-snapper yet?

:banana:

Mick, I'll be around today and tomorrow. So when it gets close to our pick I'll throw out a couple of names and ideas. Go ahead and make any pick without me though.

Mick, I'll be around today and tomorrow. So when it gets close to our pick I'll throw out a couple of names and ideas. Go ahead and make any pick without me though.

Sounds like a plan... :banana:

I'm nearly always around the computer because of my job so I have no problem making the picks. And yeah, any recommendations that you have would be welcome as we get closer to the #19 pick...

Sounds like a plan... :banana:

I'm nearly always around the computer because of my job so I have no problem making the picks. And yeah, any recommendations that you have would be welcome as we get closer to the #19 pick...

Dude, you mind deleting your post in the Draft Thread? Thanks.

Dude, you mind deleting your post in the Draft Thread? Thanks.

Ooops...I erased one of the posts but forgot about the "Bump" post...

Both posts have been deletorated now... :headbanger:

i think it's going to be cumbersome to have multiple owners for a particular team--if nothing more than from a logistics angle of trying to converse about strategy. mack had you lined up to be the lions owner before i asked, so go for it. do us proud :headbanger:

i think it's going to be cumbersome to have multiple owners for a particular team--if nothing more than from a logistics angle of trying to converse about strategy. mack had you lined up to be the lions owner before i asked, so go for it. do us proud :P

Looks like both of you are waiting on the other to make a move.

You're the resident Lion guru; why don't you make this pick and allow Shane to make the 2nd round pick. :dunno:

Looks like both of you are waiting on the other to make a move.

You're the resident Lion guru; why don't you make this pick and allow Shane to make the 2nd round pick. :sleep:

okay.

i picked joe thomas.

i feel completely crappy about having to stay #2 and draft a player, as i think it's an almost must for the lions to trade down. if there is no way possible to do that, thomas is by far the safest pick on the board at this point and fills a basic need for the lions. i'm not sold on butterball russell or the ?? of quinn enough to pull the trigger on either here.

All things considered at this point, I think Thomas is the right choice. Lions brass are talking about pushing the newly acquired Foster inside which frees up the OT spot. Besides, can you ever have too many quality linemen around?

They will probably end up trading out but as far as this mock is concerned, good call swamp.

okay.

i picked joe thomas.

i feel completely crappy about having to stay #2 and draft a player, as i think it's an almost must for the lions to trade down. if there is no way possible to do that, thomas is by far the safest pick on the board at this point and fills a basic need for the lions.

:sleep:

we must trade down in the real draft, but if not thomas is the pick here.

All things considered at this point, I think Thomas is the right choice. Lions brass are talking about pushing the newly acquired Foster inside which frees up the OT spot. Besides, can you ever have too many quality linemen around?

They will probably end up trading out but as far as this mock is concerned, good call swamp.

:sleep:

I agree. If the Lions can't trade down, then Thomas is the best pick. They need a long-term answer at QB; however, (as crazy as it sounds) it's probably harder to find a franchise left OT than it is to find a franchise QB.

Browns (ClashoftheTitans) are on the clock. I could see them going in several directions with their pick...

:(

They need a long-term answer at QB; however, (as crazy as it sounds) it's probably harder to find a franchise left OT than it is to find a franchise QB.

Peyton Manning becomes ordinary if he doesn't have time to throw the ball. (not comparing by any means but...it's true).Kitna will never set the world on fire but he doesn't have to win games by himself. Build an OL, allow him the chance to throw the ball (60+ sacks in 06) and he'll cut back on the mistakes. He's not the long term answer but he's a leader on this team which was completely void of that just a year ago.

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

If this scenario plays out, the Lions would have passed on four top QB prospects in the last two years. At some point, the team has to address the position. Depending on a 35 year old journeyman and an erratic back-up in McCown spells doom for this franchise long-term.

But we'll see.

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

If this scenario plays out, the Lions would have passed on four top QB prospects in the last two years.

But we'll see.

All of whom can't throw a pass while lying on their back. You can't plug every hole in this draft. :(

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

If this scenario plays out, the Lions would have passed on four top QB prospects in the last two years. At some point, the team has to address the position. Depending on a 35 year old journeyman and an erratic back-up in McCown spells doom for this franchise long-term.

But we'll see.

Ha. Nice work trying to start something.

There have been plenty of successful NFL teams using journeyman QB's.

I'm not a Lion fan but, without trades, I firmly believe this is the choice here.

All of whom can't throw a pass while lying on their back. You can't plug every hole in this draft. :huh:

Of course you can't plug every hole in one draft, but we're talking about arguably the most important position in team sports. You can't keep ignoring this position.

Who's the Lions' QB next year? In '08?

I'm not saying those four QBs will ever morph into Johnny U., but a great QB will give you a better chance of winning than a great LT.

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

But we'll see.

I think that proves my point.

Every year, there are 2-3 potential "franchise QBs" in the draft (not saying that all of them will ultimately pan-out but still...).

However, there's MAYBE 1 franchise left-OT in every draft (and oftentimes, not even that many).

That's why I think Thomas would be the better pick for a rebuilding franchise. You need a great OT protecting your QB's blind-side...ESPECIALLY in Martz's offense.

But what do I know??? :huh:

I hate that pick for the Lions.

Not because I think it is bad...because I hate when good guys from UW end up playing for Detroit. :huh:

Dont like the Calvin Johnson pick. Joe Thomas was/is the only pick to make if Detroit stays at #2 IMO.

If we were allowed to trade in our Mock or if the first 2 picks went like this in the real draft it would be a dream come true for the Skins sitting at #6. With Oak and DET passing on the Qb's that would mean either Quinn, Russell, or even both :huh: would be available at 6 and there would be no shortage of teams angling to move up and grab one of them.

i personally like the J.Thomas pick. i also believe he is the most "can't miss" of any prospect behind C.Johnson in this year's draft. The only other players to be considered there are Peterson, Russell, Quinn, and potentially G.Adams or A.Branch. I think most would agree that Adams or Branch are likely reaches if picked there, but I think the floor is much lower for Thomas than any of the other 3 offensive players. Thomas was looking like an all-world tackle until the knee injury. He then came back this year and proved he was still dominante and recovered well. If anything he should only be in better shape next year being fully healed from surgery. i agree that franchise LT (W.Jones/J.Ogden/T.Boselli/O.Pace) are just as key, and dominate as any player on the field when they are that good, and can affect the game just as much as a franchise RB, WR, or QB. i like the pick if they stay put. :huh:

Of course you can't plug every hole in one draft, but we're talking about arguably the most important position in team sports. You can't keep ignoring this position.

Who's the Lions' QB next year? In '08?

I'm not saying those four QBs will ever morph into Johnny U., but a great QB will give you a better chance of winning than a great LT.

In today's NFL, you don't have to be a great QB, you just have to avoid the big mistakes and make some plays when it counts the most. That's been proven. As mentioned, it's much harder to find a pro bowl OL so I think you take your stab at solidifying the lines. We've been trying to add all the "pretty" pieces for far too long and now our record is evidence as to where that's gotten us.

I hate that pick for the Lions.

Not because I think it is bad...because I hate when good guys from UW end up playing for Detroit. :dunno:

Like Aaron Gibson?

:huh:

Like Aaron Gibson?

:huh:

That too...big mound of a man who simply was awful in the NFL.

OMG we are going to have to wait for clash? This could take a while. He might fit us in late tonight. Come on clash. Cleveland is the 3rd pick, keep up.