Sign in to follow this  
Stalker711

Still pissed that Denver signed Travis Henry

I'm a huge Mike Bell fan, and am still pissed that they brought Travis Henry in to presumably start in Denver. Mike Bell performed very well as a rookie, and I thought he was poised for a great 2nd season. He runs hard, has enough speed to get to the corner, doesn't go down easily, earned all the SY and GL carries, and was their 3rd down back, was the crunch time RB, and COP back for DEN.

He's humble as a mud fence, is mature unlike so many young NFL players, and will do anything for more playing time.

I don't know what the Henry contract really looks like, but it still would not surprise me to see Mike bell pull down close to 50% of the carries in 2007.

THis just posted on one of the Denver websites.

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/local_story_096071025.html

I've still got man love for this guy.

Henry will earn your respect trust me. He's a very hard runner. Just give him a chance

I'm a huge Mike Bell fan, and am still pissed that they brought Travis Henry in to presumably start

it still would not surprise me to see Mike bell pull down close to 50% of the carries in 2007.

For your own good, put the Bell homerism away. He had pretty decent numbers, but a lot of backs in Denver had had just as good or better numbers. It's obvious they think Henry is the better back. Bell will get some carries no matter what, but even if Henry gets hurt they will likely find someone to split carries with Bell, I don't think there is a great best-case scenario for him.

Stalker, I know the love you have for Bell. You have made it known many times.

I too like Bell and have him in a dynasty league. I have realized that Travis Henry was brought in for a reason. Mike Bell has even said in articles that he knew once Tatum was traded that they would bring someone in a veteran for the job. He is very humble and does not have a problem with that. Henry will be the man and will get a majority of the carries. I liken it to Edge and Rhodes a couple of years ago. Bell will come in to spell Henry when he is tired.

Stalker, by the way, dont take time off from your other sites. Your posts and thoughts are always welcomed.

Henry has been a productive runner for a while now. The thing that happened with him is when he broke a bone in his leg (which he played with for a few games IIRC)....and people seemed quick to say he was breaking down.

He had some impressive seasons with less than stellar Buffalo teams, and then he went and surprised everyone with the Titans last season. He should do real well in Denver provided he's healthy and stays out of trouble (no suspensions).

Interesting. Because I like the kid, I am a homer. I'm not buying. I am a Broncos fan, but I like the 49ers about as much, so the typical neuroses of a true homer are not there.

To those who don't follow the statistics, Mike Bell was comparable to Travis Henry in every category, and his touchdowns per opportunity (rush or pass) was superior to Henry.

I like Mike Bell for his ability as a running back, the fact that he came out of nowhere as an undrafted free agent, his professionalism, and his character. I don't have my dynasty team hitched to him, so my 'homerism' is based on strong character, and solid playing ability.

Is he the next Terrell Davis? I seriously doubt that. The Denver OL is not what it was in their rushing heyday. A combination of a decline in overall talent and the league catching up with the zone scheme have seen their prowess decline a bit. They are still good enough to be a top 10 rushing team.

I was just pulling for a level headed, 'high-character' player over some immature, whiny, dope head.

Travis Henry = sleeper pick of the year..

Boy, the definition of sleeper has changed quite dramatically in the internet age.

Boy, the definition of sleeper has changed quite dramatically in the internet age.

True.

I have Henry ranked #5, but could slide to #7 by preseason, depending on trades/drafts/etc... by other teams.

Most mocks SHOULD have him in the top 10. So yeah, not so much a "sleeper", but definately could be considered under-valued :doh:

I actually think that Mike Bell is a very good sleeper candidate this year...

Travis Henry will definitely be the starter heading into the season, and I think he should have initial success -- given his power running-style. However, I think that same running-style could also lend itself to potential injuries (which of course, would open the door for Bell).

Also, as we've all seen in the past, Shanny keeps his RBs on a short-leash and isn't afraid to replace them at the drop of a hat. If Henry has a costly fumble or 2-3 bad games in a row, Bell could very well see an increased role. Ultimately, nobody can predict what Shanahan will do (you never know...they could draft a RB high in this year's draft...).

Personally, I don't like drafting Broncos' RBs because you can never trust Shanahan's fickle nature. However, if I had to draft one of their RBs, I think Mike Bell is the better value as he can be drafted much, MUCH later than Henry (and has the potential to play and put up big numbers).

Just my 2 cents... :thumbsup:

All good points on both Henry and Bell. The real issue here.....the top fantasy RB for Denver in '07 might not even be one of these two guys.

True.

I have Henry ranked #5, but could slide to #7 by preseason, depending on trades/drafts/etc... by other teams.

Most mocks SHOULD have him in the top 10. So yeah, not so much a "sleeper", but definately could be considered under-valued :ninja:

I almost have the opposite opinion considering Henry's injury history and how The Rat has used his backs the past two seasons. But regardless, I am just not quite sure how any player who should be taken in the first 2 rounds can possibly be considered a sleeper.

I almost have the opposite opinion considering Henry's injury history and how The Rat has used his backs the past two seasons. But regardless, I am just not quite sure how any player who should be taken in the first 2 rounds can possibly be considered a sleeper.

That was what I was alluding to. Will Bell hit 50%? Who knows. He has the ability to carry the load, has good hands, doesn't take negative yards on plays (like Tatum Bell used to). The big problem with him after DEN traded Tatum was that he had a total of 150-ish carries in the NFL. Shanahan is not one to go into a season with just one back with less than 200 total NFL carries. No other backs on the roster had any significant time as a RB in the NFL. He had to go out and get someone.

I think that Ahman Green would have been a better play if they could have signed him to a contract in their price range, as he would have been a productive back for a season, and could have really helped Bell develop into the next great starter in DEN.

For what it's worth:

I talked to Mike Bell's agent last week (he represents Chris Henry too) and he said that Mike was happy Travis was in Denver. He still thinks he'll touch the ball 10-15 times a game while Henry carries most of the load.

For what it's worth:

I talked to Mike Bell's agent last week (he represents Chris Henry too) and he said that Mike was happy Travis was in Denver. He still thinks he'll touch the ball 10-15 times a game while Henry carries most of the load.

agents always tell teh truth

Hey.. what about that "a first year RB with a new offensive system equals a down year" thing .. sounds familiar, Edge James of 2006???

How quickly do you think Travis Henry can adapt to Shannahan's system?

Hey.. what about that "a first year RB with a new offensive system equals a down year" thing .. sounds familiar, Edge James of 2006???

Edge went from an offensive juggernaught to a team without an offensive line. Traditionally it's WRs that have trouble transitioning to teams. That and many free agent RBs that are handed starting roles tend to be older, and more prone to breaking down.

Chester Taylor did well last year, and Lamont Jordan the year before.

Stalker, by the way, dont take time off from your other sites. Your posts and thoughts are always welcomed.

:shocking:

once Tatum was traded, you knew Denver was going to trade for a veteran. They realize the importance of having solid depth. Henry has also had his own injury concerns, so Mike Bell still may get you some production for the price you paid for him...I doubt it was much more than a late 1st or early 2nd right around guys like PJ Daniels and Jerome Harrison

You can plug anything into Denver, and it will run..... :thumbsup:

why would any denver running back be ranked in the top 10 you don't know if they will play one game or the next even fi they had a good game...

why would any denver running back be ranked in the top 10 you don't know if they will play one game or the next even fi they had a good game...

Because Henry is better and more proven than any back they have had in there since Portis. Did Portis not go high in your draft after his rookie season just because he was "in Denver". See, no one wants to take Denver backs when they have an array of sub-par talents like Droughns, Bell, Bell, Sapp, Dayne, etc. Can you really blame Shanny for plugging in one of those guys in different situations. I can understand that Denver can make any back into a 1000 yard rusher, but that's what those guys are: "any back". Henry is more talented and more proven in systems where you definately could not churn out thousand-yard rushers year in and year out. He runs harder than any back they've had since Davis, and has a nose for the endzone. To think that some other back is going to appreciably challenge him for playing time is being very naive, IMO.

Ok not a sleeper - I paid no attention to him over in TN last year - figured he had 600 and 3 with all the rotation earlier in the year - I stand corrected....

Ok not a sleeper - I paid no attention to him over in TN last year - figured he had 600 and 3 with all the rotation earlier in the year - I stand corrected....

Yeah, he was mostly overlooked, which worked well for me. I drafted him in pretty much every league, he was easily the best RB on that team last year. :headbanger:

Because Henry is better and more proven than any back they have had in there since Portis. Did Portis not go high in your draft after his rookie season just because he was "in Denver". See, no one wants to take Denver backs when they have an array of sub-par talents like Droughns, Bell, Bell, Sapp, Dayne, etc. Can you really blame Shanny for plugging in one of those guys in different situations. I can understand that Denver can make any back into a 1000 yard rusher, but that's what those guys are: "any back". Henry is more talented and more proven in systems where you definately could not churn out thousand-yard rushers year in and year out. He runs harder than any back they've had since Davis, and has a nose for the endzone. To think that some other back is going to appreciably challenge him for playing time is being very naive, IMO.

Well Bently, you better snap him up very early, to ensure that this 'superior' and clearly top 10 worthy back is secured. Don't mind the two and a half lost seasons he went through before emerging mid-'06.

To say he is a superior back is relative. He is certainly more accomplished than the rest of the Denver RBs. He's had three good seasons in six years in the NFL. His performance in Buffalo was not exactly something of legend. He rushed for 1200yards twice. McGahee came in the next season and rushed for 1,200 yards in 11 starts. Then the OL imploded, and every yard was a tough yard.

Where was Henry at the beginning of the 2006 season? Not emerging as a star. It took until Vince YOung really got his thing going before Henry came on.

Keep believing that Henry is a stud, talk like that on the boards is going to push his value up, allowing a better player who will outperform Henry to get bumped down a spot.

Where was Henry at the beginning of the 2006 season? Not emerging as a star. It took until Vince YOung really got his thing going before Henry came on.

He was getting excellent reviews from all who watched him in training camp and pre-season games, stopming line backers, turning the corner and showing open field elusiveness. People who were paying attention picked up on it and drafted him. :blink:

Stalker, you need professional help for the Mike Bell man-love. Bell is the very definition of the word "pedestrian". He had his shot and spit the bit because he's AVERAGE. Probably below average out of the RB haven of Denver. Deal with it.

With all these crummy backs the Broncos have trotted out there since they traded Portis, the smart fantasy play has been to take the second guy in the middle rounds. This time the lead dog's the play.

The bottom line is Mike Bell is nothing more than insurance to Henry and a policy that won't likely get cashed. Draft accordingly.

I actually think that Mike Bell is a very good sleeper candidate this year...

Travis Henry will definitely be the starter heading into the season, and I think he should have initial success -- given his power running-style. However, I think that same running-style could also lend itself to potential injuries (which of course, would open the door for Bell).

Also, as we've all seen in the past, Shanny keeps his RBs on a short-leash and isn't afraid to replace them at the drop of a hat. If Henry has a costly fumble or 2-3 bad games in a row, Bell could very well see an increased role. Ultimately, nobody can predict what Shanahan will do (you never know...they could draft a RB high in this year's draft...).

Personally, I don't like drafting Broncos' RBs because you can never trust Shanahan's fickle nature. However, if I had to draft one of their RBs, I think Mike Bell is the better value as he can be drafted much, MUCH later than Henry (and has the potential to play and put up big numbers).

Just my 2 cents... :banana:

:ninja: Good point. I can see Henry having a terrific season, but I believe they dealt Tatum Bell because they just didn't see the point in keeping him in any scenario (starter, time-splitter, or backup) because he's simply not an accomplished pro at the position. He has pro physical skills, but not the technique or instincts. I thought M. Bell fit the offense better than Tatum and his potential to develop his game is greater than a back like Tatum who had his chance and failed. I hope to land Bell in the mid-late rounds as a value pick in most drafts.

For what it's worth:

It always cracks me up how many carries a homer (in this case the agent) expects his player to get. Let's see, so if Bell is goign to touch the ball 10-15 times a game and Henry carries most of the load, let's say that means 12 touches per game for Bell and 20 touches per game for Henry. That would be 512 touches for the season, more than any HB combo had in the league last season! Not gonna happen.

It always cracks me up how many carries a homer (in this case the agent) expects his player to get. Let's see, so if Bell is goign to touch the ball 10-15 times a game and Henry carries most of the load, let's say that means 12 touches per game for Bell and 20 touches per game for Henry. That would be 512 touches for the season, more than any HB combo had in the league last season! Not gonna happen.

First one I checked was over... 517 (Reggie and Deuce). I would highly doubt anyone is over that, but it is not unattainable by any means. Teams would love for their RB's to have that many touches if possible... especially a team like Denver.

Still, Henry is likely going to go too high for my liking. I like the player and I like the system.. but I don't like rat face

First one I checked was over... 517 (Reggie and Deuce). I would highly doubt anyone is over that, but it is not unattainable by any means.

I stand corrected. :dunno:

(Didn't think to check Reggie and Deuce :lol: )

Teams would love for their RB's to have that many touches if possible... especially a team like Denver.

Sure they would, but what teams would love to do is usually very different from what they are capable of doing. Even if Denver had their way I'm not sure it would involve Bell getting a decent percentage of the HB touches, I bet they would prefer to see Henry go crazy all year long.

At any rate, I guess really my point is that when guys talk about numbers like this, they usually throw out numbers that are at or near the top end of what they could possibly get. (i.e. Julius Jones 1700 yards last year, or <any coach in the NFL> talking about getting his feature back 25-30 carries per game) So when Bell's agent says he is hoping for 10-15 touches per game, that makes me think that he is probably expecting less than 10 touches per game.

First one I checked was over... 517 (Reggie and Deuce). I would highly doubt anyone is over that, but it is not unattainable by any means. Teams would love for their RB's to have that many touches if possible... especially a team like Denver.

Still, Henry is likely going to go too high for my liking. I like the player and I like the system.. but I don't like rat face

pwn2d tj :dunno: