Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2007 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Green Bay Packers

better be a good deal considering what indy had to give up in their deal

we sent 47th (Rd. 2) and 235th (Rd. 7) overall picks to the New York Jets for the 63rd (Rd. 2), 89th (Rd. 3) and 191st (Rd. 6)

Not a bad deal I guess. Gives us more ammo in potential Moss or Turner trades or allows us to pick up some young offensive talent

The trade between the New York Jets goes like this:

The Packers traded a second-round pick (No. 47 overall) and a seventh (No. 235) to the Jets for a second (No. 63), a third (No. 89) and a sixth (No. 191).

The Packers lost 16 spots in the second round, but now have two third-round picks and two sixth-round picks to go along with one fourth, one fifth and two sevenths.

According to the draft pick trade chart, which puts a value on each draft slot, the Packers came out ahead, in total value 437 to 431.9.

Green Bay's second is worth 430 points and its seventh 1.9. The Jets' second is worth 276 points, its third 145 points and its sixth 16.

The extra picks gives the Packers more ammunition to trade for Oakland receiver Randy Moss, but more than likely the deal was made because there was a dropoff in talent after receivers Dwayne Jarrett and Sydney Rice went off the board.

*JSOnline*

ETA - Good going Adam

I can't let that quote go. I'd say that less than 5% never start, and I'll be willing to bet in the last 15 years no more than one 1st rounder from any team wasn't on that team's opening day roster.

:mellow:

Sounds like a safe bet to me.

I've liked what TT did last year, but there comes a time that he needs to go out and get playmakers. It's those special guys that go out and win games and outside of Farve and Woodson, and at their age those great games are fewer & fewer, this team doesn't have those type of players.

Eventually TT has to stop going for quantity over quality.

I've liked what TT did last year, but there comes a time that he needs to go out and get playmakers. It's those special guys that go out and win games and outside of Farve and Woodson, and at their age those great games are fewer & fewer, this team doesn't have those type of players.

Eventually TT has to stop going for quantity over quality.

You haven't seen anything yet. Next year TT can trade those annoying picks in rounds 1-6, for all 32 7th round picks. Now that's quantity.

Seriously though, I don't watch much college, so I can't put a value on rookies. However, I would think the earlier the player is picked the better chance they have of being a good player. Oh well, I will give TT the benefit of the doubt for now, and believe he has a plan.

Brandon Jackson RB NEB

Another guy who has ?????? ALL over

Jackson saw action in 10 of 11 games as a true freshman in 2004 and carried 85 times for 390 yards (4.6 average) with six touchdowns. In 2005, he played in nine of 12 contests (two starts; Wake Forest, Pitt) and gained just 52 yards on 18 carries (2.9 average). Jackson then started nine of 14 games in 2006, rushed 188 times for 989 yards (5.3 average) and eight touchdowns, adding 33 receptions for 313 yards and two more scores. Over the past three seasons, he also returned 32 kickoffs for 579 yards (18.1 average).

TT has had some luck finding players his way. I have to trust him on this guy.

Scouting Report: Despite declaring after his junior year, Jackson really has only one full season of significant college experience. In 2006 he proved he can be a very productive, versatile, and elusive runner, piling up yards and touchdowns for the Cornhuskers. While he's not particularly big or lightning-fast, Jackson is a very instinctive back who reads plays extremely well and uses superb jukes and lateral moves to find holes. He also showed skills as a returner. Jackson is a top sleeper who may eventually find himself starting in an NFL backfield.

Impact: This may be the running back that most were expecting the Pack to take in the first round. The best way to describe Jackson is 'elusive,' and he has the talent to be eventually be a starter for Green Bay. While not an elite-level back, Jackson is sneaky-good and is the type who might end up being better than his draft position. A cagey pick by the Packers, who may still go out and bring in a veteran runner until Jackson is ready for prime time.

Link

TT has had some luck finding players his way. I have to trust him on this guy.

Scouting Report: Despite declaring after his junior year, Jackson really has only one full season of significant college experience. In 2006 he proved he can be a very productive, versatile, and elusive runner, piling up yards and touchdowns for the Cornhuskers. While he's not particularly big or lightning-fast, Jackson is a very instinctive back who reads plays extremely well and uses superb jukes and lateral moves to find holes. He also showed skills as a returner. Jackson is a top sleeper who may eventually find himself starting in an NFL backfield.

Impact: This may be the running back that most were expecting the Pack to take in the first round. The best way to describe Jackson is 'elusive,' and he has the talent to be eventually be a starter for Green Bay. While not an elite-level back, Jackson is sneaky-good and is the type who might end up being better than his draft position. A cagey pick by the Packers, who may still go out and bring in a veteran runner until Jackson is ready for prime time.

Link

Huh?

another perspective on jackson

Jackson is 5-11/210 and runs in the high 4.5s but in Green Bay's zone-blocking scheme, long speed isn't that important. Vernand Morency hasn't been durable enough to be relied on, so Jackson should have every opportunity to win the job. Basically a one-year wonder at Nebraska, Jackson is suddenly a huge fantasy sleeper and possible starting running back. :dunno:

Does the Packer brain trust hold all their meetings in the waiting room of an Emergency Room? It's not that I don't trust TT but 2 guys who really didn't play very much in college due to multiple injuries is a head scratcher. :dunno:

Does the Packer brain trust hold all their meetings in the waiting room of an Emergency Room? It's not that I don't trust TT but 2 guys who really didn't play very much in college due to multiple injuries is a head scratcher. :dunno:

It's a joke :blink:

People were expecting GB to go RB in the first. When Lynch didn't fall, they had to change those plans. :dunno:

Ah, I think I get it. I thought they were stating that Jackson was who many were thinking the Pack would take in the 1st. I understand now (apparently, I'm a tad on the slow side).

Ah, I think I get it. I thought they were stating that Jackson was who many were thinking the Pack would take in the 1st. I understand now (apparently, I'm a tad on the slow side).

Nah, that sentence was worded terribly..I thought the same thing at first.

they could have regrouped in round 1 with Olsen

Can't argue that. I wish they would have just traded down in the 1st about 10 spots or so and picked up a late 2nd, early 3rd if this was their plan. Harrell would have still been there. Jackson seems like a total crap shoot.

James Jones 6'1'' 207

Overall: Jones was redshirted in 2002 before playing in nine games (zero starts) in 2003 as a backup receiver and long-snapper catching one pass for eight yards. In 2004, he saw action in all 11 games (six starts) and caught 25 passes for 317 yards (12.7 average) and one touchdown. Jones started three of 11 contests in 2005, making 30 receptions for 278 yards (9.3 average) and scoring one touchdown. In 2006, he started 12 of 13 games hauling in 70 passes for 893 yards (12.8) and 10 touchdowns, earning a second team All-WAC selection. For his career he has carried 24 times for 126 yards and one touchdown. Additionally, Jones has returned 42 punts for 307 yards (7.3 average).

Jones' potential is limited by his lack of top-end speed, but he has the skills to develop into a productive sub-package receiver who also contributes on special teams.

Great! Now a 4.6 40 WR who doesn't like to block and is a poor route runner. I've seen this before, Robert Ferguson clone. I am officially :clap: right now. And, I'm going to get drunk.

Ted Thompson needs to play some fantasy football to learn the concept of value. You don't pick players 2-3 rounds higher than they're projected to go! :clap:

Prediction was a few picks too early. :huh:

Minor detail. :clap:

It's the first pick that I like. A. Peterson meat Rouse. :shocking: <----- A.P. running into Rouse

Minor detail. :clap:

It's the first pick that I like. A. Peterson meat Rouse. :shocking: <----- A.P. running into Rouse

He has to get past Will Farrell and the perm first.

How about Rouse, SS, Virginia Tech?

I love this pick. May not be the answer at safety but looks like a guy who can contribute immediately in nickel and dime packages replacing a LB. Has all the measureables to eventually become a big time safety and if he gains some weight, an impact OLB.

I love this pick. May not be the answer at safety but looks like a guy who can contribute immediately in nickel and dime packages replacing a LB. Has all the measureables to eventually become a big time safety and if he gains some weight, an impact OLB.

Yeah...looks like TT's best pick. Safety is the play for this guy though.

I like the guys we got (not so much on James Jones though...)

just thought it was early on all 3 until Rouse.

Yeah...looks like TT's best pick. Safety is the play for this guy though.

I like the guys we got (not so much on James Jones though...)

just thought it was early on all 3 until Rouse.

Agreed. If this guy pans out, he could be a Sean Taylor clone. How sweet would that be?

Agreed. If this guy pans out, he could be a Sean Taylor clone. How sweet would that be?

Other than the Jones pick...Im not looking at the guys saying...man he sucks. Just looking at where they were drafted and thinking we could have gotten them later.

Other than the Jones pick...Im not looking at the guys saying...man he sucks. Just looking at where they were drafted and thinking we could have gotten them later.

Exactly my sentiments. What I don't understand is given what the Browns gave up to get Quinn, why could the Packers not make a similiar deal with them? Everyone drafted earlier appears to be a reach. Given TT's propensity to trade down for picks, I would take the Browns deal in a hearbeat. It's also a good possibility that Harrell would have still been available at 2.03. Then, we would be looking at the Browns (likely top 10) pick in 08, our own and cap space to do it. Hard to believe that that same deal wasn't available to the Pack.