Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

Ban Kept for Gay Men Donating Blood

FDA Keeps Gay Men Banned From Donating Blood, More Than a Year After Groups Criticized Policy

Gay men remain banned for life from donating blood, the government said Wednesday, leaving in place for now a 1983 prohibition meant to prevent the spread of HIV through transfusions.

Guess I am not the only one who see gays as a threat.

linkage

I'd be more worried about all the gay spunk you swallow.

Is that for all gays or just ones out of the closet? If thats the case, I don't see the mobile donor-mobile coming to your neighborhood anytime soon.

Is that for all gays or just ones out of the closet? If thats the case, I don't see the mobile donor-mobile coming to your neighborhood anytime soon.

I am not a phag, so it doesn't bother them. :banana:

I am not a phag, so it doesn't bother them. :banana:

I'll bet you're sporting wood right now.

GCLHMB!

I thought they tested all donated blood for HIV !?!? If so, what good does the ban do?

In March 2006, the Red Cross, the international blood association AABB and America's Blood Centers proposed replacing the lifetime ban with a one-year deferral following male-to-male sexual contact. New and improved tests, which can detect HIV-positive donors within just 10 to 21 days of infection, make the lifetime ban unnecessary, the blood groups told the FDA.

The FDA said HIV tests currently in use are highly accurate, but still cannot detect the virus 100 percent of the time. The estimated HIV risk from a unit of blood is currently about one per 2 million in the United States, according to the agency.

Ah, the HIV test isn't foolproof and it might not show a positive result if the donor only recently contracted HIV. Ok, that's good enough for me. BAN EM!

I thought they tested all donated blood for HIV !?!? If so, what good does the ban do?

Ah, the HIV test isn't foolproof and it might not show a positive result if the donor only recently contracted HIV. Ok, that's good enough for me. BAN EM!

but if a hetero is donating blood and doesn't get a positive result, that's ok?

not being able to detect 100% of the time, regardless of sexuality, is very sobering. that'd absolutely suck to get a blood transfusion and get HIV off of it, and i wouldn't feel any better or worse if the donated blood came from a hetero or homo .. i'd still have HIV.

i can't believe they can't detect that reliably enough. that's unreal. if they could, then no, i have no problems with homos donating blood.

but if a hetero is donating blood and doesn't get a positive result, that's ok?

No, but men are MUCH more likely to contract HIV through gay sex than hetero sex.

No, but men are MUCH more likely to contract HIV through gay sex than hetero sex.

not going to argue that, but the overall chance of contracting through donated blood of any type has to be pretty low. my point is the difference between .002 (hypothetical hetero example) and .012 (six times higher, hypothetical homo example) doesn't make me feel much better.

hopefully they find a way to test 100% effectively very soon.

actually, can you source this? i've found something stating anal sex leads to increased risk, but that gender doesn't matter. (a HIV+ gay man having sex with a gay man has the same chance of infection as a HIV+ man with a woman)

just curious.

actually, can you source this? i've found something stating anal sex leads to increased risk, but that gender doesn't matter. (a HIV+ gay man having sex with a gay man has the same chance of infection as a HIV+ man with a woman)

Ok, I'll buy that. Everyone is more likely to contract HIV through anal sex than through any other kind of sex. Since anal sex is basically the only kind of sex gay men can have, they tend to have the highest rates.

Obviously we all know why anal sex has higher rates... (something about anal bleeding, no natural lubrication, etc...). :pukeface: :clap:

Ok, I'll buy that. Everyone is more likely to contract HIV through anal sex than through any other kind of sex. Since anal sex is basically the only kind of sex gay men can have, they tend to have the highest rates.

Obviously we all know why anal sex has higher rates... (something about anal bleeding, no natural lubrication, etc...). :pukeface: :wall:

right, that i agree with. i was just wondering if there was some other bizarre reason that homosexuals were more at risk other than the type of sex acts commonly performed.

hope i never need a blood transfusion, period. :unsure:

not going to argue that, but the overall chance of contracting through donated blood of any type has to be pretty low. my point is the difference between .002 (hypothetical hetero example) and .012 (six times higher, hypothetical homo example) doesn't make me feel much better.

just curious.

I think it has more to do with the FACT that HIV/AIDS exists in much much higher numbers in the gay population than in the straight one. I don't have a problem with this. Their lifestyle is a risky one, and I'd appreciate not having to share in that risk.

While you can approach 100%, I don't think you can ever quite achieve it. Thus, the relative ratio will always be higher for gheys. The question is, will it ever get low enough that people won't care? And is it worth investing in such improvements?

i wouldnt want gay blood in my veins. i can see a death bed, non hiv infected exclusion, but other than that...

kind ferries though, donating blood and all. :banana:

When HIV hit the mainstream news, my Dr. told me about a program where they can store your own blood. I have 5 pints stored. It's free as long as I donate twice a year. As long as I get injured locally, I have no fears. Don't know if the program is still available. :cheers:

The neatest thing is that a transfusion will like raise my BAC and make me feel better.   :clap: 

When HIV hit the mainstream news, my Dr. told me about a program where they can store your own blood. I have 5 pints stored. It's free as long as I donate twice a year. As long as I get injured locally, I have no fears. Don't know if the program is still available. :cheers:

The neatest thing is that a transfusion will like raise my BAC and make me feel better.   :clap: 

In the olympics a bunch of years ago, i think it was the american boxing team that did something like that. Obviously you can't get blood transfusions around the time of the olympics, but they made the argument it was their own blood so it doesn't count. It would be kinda cool to do though. I play in a lot of basketball tournys and it would be great havin some extra blood.

I play in a lot of basketball tournys and it would be great havin some extra blood.

out of context that's a very creepy thing to say. Uh, unless you're phillybear. :cheers: