Sign in to follow this  
psunate77

Ok guys need some projecton Pal help..

I have tried three sites that I found ranking and projections for and tried to put them in the pal, but they are set up wrong and the pal doesn't read them right. I am asking for help with sites that the apl can read cleanly, especially since I am new to all of this.

Thanks alot.

Smitty from FFXtreme is a good guy. Goes a little crazy on the trades sometimes, but he keeps things entertaining. Jeff from Toolbox knows what he is doing. He and I have each won the Dirty Dozen Expert League twice in its 4 years, so we'll have to see if one of us can break the tie this year. I don't know Kevin from FFCalculator as well, but he was nice enough to let us use his ADP data in the Compiler. Not sure why you'd want to import that particular league data though?

Someone else asked for the Toolbox rankings, so let's try that one...

Starting with QB rankings, found here:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2007/che...m?player_pos=QB

I input that URL in the QB Projections URL box on the QB_Raw tab in Pal. Hit New Query. Here is what I get:

post-5731-1186188105.gif

Yes, its a bit of a mess. We can't even see the rankings in the above screen, but if we scroll down a bit we find them as shown here:

post-5731-1186188113.gif

Clean up step. Select the top-left cell (inside the grey highlighted cells), right-click and choose Edit Query, as shown here:

post-5731-1186188427.gif

After clicking Edit Query a box pops up that shows the FF Toolbox rankings webpage, and a bunch of yellow check marks when, if clicked, change to green arrows. You want to scroll to the rankings table on the page, and click the yellow check mark next to it, like this:

post-5731-1186188437.gif

Once that is clicked, hit Import and it takes away your old messy data and replaces with just the rankings:

post-5731-1186188484.gif

My next step is fill in the remaining yellow cells on the QB_Raw tab. The rankings only go from row 4 to 29. Check off I'm importing Custom Fields (not projections, since this is just rankings and not detailed stats even though there is a projected fantasy points column). Change the column heading to tell Pal what this data is. I've got ...

Custom 1 for Rank

Last Name, First Name

Team

Other

Other

Other

Custom 2 for projected fantasy points

I just realized Custom 1 is to the left of the player name, so I need to move that to the right. Copy and paste does the trick. Change the first column to Other and where I put the Rank data to Custom 1. Now I'm looking at this:

post-5731-1186189144.gif

Wait! I noticed a couple of the QB names are wrong. Bulger, Marc Contract Year Player? Romo, Tony Contract Year Player? Some extra info is in the cells with our player names, so edit those down to Bulger, Marc and Romo, Tony.

Okay, now hit Copy to Compiler. My Compiler opens and Pal drops this in my QB tab in the Compiler:

post-5731-1186189352.gif

The rankings and projected fantasy points match up with the players on the QB tab in the Compiler. This data will flow to the cs with notes tab, since it is custom fields.

Good job Pal. Another successful import! :thumbsup:

Okay. Someone else mentioned that to me so there must be a slight compatibility problem between my Excel and yours. Hit Debug. See the highlighted row? Delete it. Go back to Excel and try running that query step again.

I think I got every thing right, but two things...

1) There are actually two pages for QB as on the bottom there is a next page link..

2) When I copy to complier I get a run time error 1004

Thanks

1. Pull the QB rankings for page 2 into another Raw_ tab following the same steps. Then when they are cleaned up, copy and paste them to Raw_QB below your existing QB rankings from page 1.

2. Check the first tab in Pal that the filename of the Compiler is correct. Are they in the same directory? Try having the Compiler and Pal open at the same time when you hit Copy to Compiler.

When you hit Copy to Compiler? Hit Debug and what is highlighted? Do you want to send your copy of Pal to me? compiler@fftoday.com

Mike, when I add the fftoolbox link and hit new query, I get a box that says runtime error or debug...

I'm getting the same error on all my raw tabs (even with your example Web page) and it won't even update from the fftoday pages because it still lists Tiki Barber as a RB at NYG.

Hi jayjun. The error psunate was getting is because the Compiler file specified on the setup tab in Pal did not match his Compiler filename. He is using Excel 2007 and therefore needed to change the Pal setup tab to reflect a filename with .xlsm on the end, rather than .xls.

Are you having the same issue, or is the issue occuring when you try to web query the data?

Remember guys - if the web query is not working, try copying and pasting the data off the web and into Pal. The web query is full proof.

As for the comment about Tiki, read this:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=278399

OK, I understand the Tiki Barber thing now -- sorry for not reading a bit more around here before asking. I'm still having issues with Projection Pal, and maybe it's because I'm clueless, but I can't get it to do anything without a debug error popping up. If I do get a Web page imported I can't manipulate the data as in your example and just get an error code telling me that I can't alter a Web query. My filenames are fine. How is this supposed to work and what is it supposed to help me do?

OK, I understand the Tiki Barber thing now -- sorry for not reading a bit more around here before asking. I'm still having issues with Projection Pal, and maybe it's because I'm clueless, but I can't get it to do anything without a debug error popping up. If I do get a Web page imported I can't manipulate the data as in your example and just get an error code telling me that I can't alter a Web query. My filenames are fine. How is this supposed to work and what is it supposed to help me do?

Are you using Excel 2000? It would seem there is a small compatibility problem with Pal in certain versions of Excel. When you get the error message while running the query, hit Debug, delete the highlighted line, and try it again. Does that work?

Now, as to what this does... understand Projection Pal is completely optional. The only reason people use Pal is to help import other projections into the Compiler. The only reason people should do that is if they want to average together projections from different sources, rather than using the FF Today projections which are included by default.

It is not necessary to import projections if you don't want to. Personally, I don't do it myself, but this feature has always been in the Compiler and it is still there because people like it. In my case, I tend to go by the FF Today projections only, and then if I disagree on certain players then I will adjust the projections directly in the Compiler or move players up or down the rankings in Draft Buddy.

I leave it to you to decide if you want to use this portion of the software or not, but now you know what it is used for, I hope it helps you make a good decision about it.

I'm using the Mac version of Excel from Office 10.1. Must be a big problem because I get serious numbers of debug errors, so many that I have to just keep deleting and deleting. I'll keep playing around with it, but like you said, it's optional and the projections from the site are fine with me.

I'm using the Mac version of Excel from Office 10.1. Must be a big problem because I get serious numbers of debug errors, so many that I have to just keep deleting and deleting. I'll keep playing around with it, but like you said, it's optional and the projections from the site are fine with me.

Okay, forget that then. I thought we were talking one line of code as being the problem. Have you tried copying and pasting the data off the web and into Excel (completely skipping the web query)?

I actually ran through about eight or none code deletions and did a Web query and then was able to fool around manually with the info. I also tried the copy and paste method, which works better overall -- unless I can delete all the problems for each subset and then run the Web queries. It still won't let me edit the Web query info. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the FFToday projections this year or just keep plugging away in manual mode for my top positions. Overall, it's just too much of a hassle right now, but I like the idea behind and I'm sure it's great for those who have fewer problems. It's a nifty piece of Excel programming.