Sign in to follow this  
groooveman

Excel 2007 Vista Issue with POSx name?

I'm using Vista with Excel 2007 (joy), so I downloaded the Vista version of the compiler/buddy. I copied my league profiles from last year into the compiler (on my older pc with Excel XP), then used the setup option in Buddy.

I had my first of 3 drafts this weekend. I used Draft Buddy and entered all the results/picks. When I saved it, I did the following:

Save As -> Excel Macro Enabled Workbook

Then, this error pops up:

"The name, POS1, either conflicts with a valid range reference or is invalid in Excel. The name as been renamed with _POS1.

You may still need to manually update any references to this name used in VBA code or as text arguments in functions.

You must close and reopen the workbook before these changes take effect.

OK | OK to All."

Since you can only choose OK or OK To All, I updated all the "invalid" names.

After this is done, and you reopen the document, it's all hosed up. One example is the "by team" tab shows the firszt QB picked and then NA for everything else.

Any suggestions for trying to fix this? Luckily, I do have the fantasy board from CBS to go by. Also, the "draft input" tab has all the info (except the last pick).

I've used this product for at least 5 years now and it is worth it's binary digits in gold, btw! I'd deal with this issue every year if I had to. :mellow:

Any help is appreciated. Next draft is Thursday.

Grooveman

Hey Grooveman. Thanks!

You downloaded the Vista version but did you download the Excel 2007 version? The Draft Buddy (and Compiler) file should have .xlsm on the end instead of .xls like all the file formats last year. The Excel 2007 version we make available is already an Excel Macro Enabled Workbook.

Now, if you had the .xls, then yes, it comes up with this "I don't like 'Pos' so please change it to '_Pos'" message in Excel 2007.

How about this:

Go back to our member download page and get the Excel 2007 version on Buddy. Set it up using the Compiler file you already have to '07 ... you'll just need to change the filename on the setup tab in Buddy from .xlsm to .xls on the end.

Then, close new Buddy.

Open old Buddy with the draft results. Disable macros. Open new Buddy. Disable macros. You may need to change the filename of one of them if Excel doesn't like the filenames being so close to the same.

Go to the draft input tab in old Buddy and highlight all the positions and player names, copy (CTRL-C) and go to new Buddy, and paste them in the same spot there as values. Edit > Paste Special .. As Values.

Close both files, open new Buddy and enable macros.

If there is anything missing like the last pick, then you might have to add that in new Buddy.

Does that help?

Mike,

You're right. I didn't download the 2007 Excel version apparently. Your workaround worked perfectly!

Thanks!!

PS - Next year, if it's possible to put the bye week in the "by team" tab also, it will give a quicker view of possible conflicts. (I didn't have any though.)

OH, and that "Draft Player" button on the various tabs is AWESOME. You need to charge more for these great products! :lol:

PS - Next year, if it's possible to put the bye week in the "by team" tab also, it will give a quicker view of possible conflicts. (I didn't have any though.)

I hate to tell you this, but go to the by team tab and see the "+" sign above your team name? Click that.

OH, and that "Draft Player" button on the various tabs is AWESOME. You need to charge more for these great products! <_<

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind :thumbsdown:

I hate to tell you this, but go to the by team tab and see the "+" sign above your team name? Click that.

Doh! :doublethumbsup: LOL...I clicked the + sign and see what you mean!! And I have a bye week issue with my RBs afterall. Oh well, I'm all set for the next two drafts now.

Thanks again!