Sign in to follow this  
mambokings

-

4th and 4, up by 10, in the redzone...and they go for it?

:thumbsup:

Noticed that too, laughed when I saw it. Guess they really were trying to continue that streak of 30. Not like it mattered with the Gay fumble recovery, but still :thumbsdown:

4th and 4, up by 10, in the redzone...and they go for it?

:thumbsdown:

Why not? A two possession game with a minute to play is not a lock. Anderson makes a deep strike to Edwards for a TD, and the Browns recover an onside kick, and suddenly it gets very interesting. Making it a three possession game would've taken that out of the equation. Which they just did thanks to Randall Gay. :thumbsup: People will find anything to complain about with these Patriots! They're just good!

New England was at Cleveland's 4 yard line too.

57 seconds to go in the game and they're leading by 10 points.

Pathetic move, Bill :thumbsup:

yeah, they should have kicked the FG :thumbsdown:

They made the right move, a field goal is only a 13 pt lead and two TDs(however unlikly) would still beat them, plus if they didnt, it left a long field.

it was the right move.

:thumbsup:

The decision to go for it on 4th down would be questionable even if the score was 0-0, much less a game where the Patriots were LEADING by 10 points. By going for it, you risk allowing the Browns a chance to tie it with just a FG and a TD. By going up 13 points, they would have made certain Cleveland needed two TOUCHDOWNS to win the game. With only 57 seconds left in the game, which is more likely? It's also a bit of an unsportsmanlike move considering how badly the Patriots were beating up on that team. My first reaction was actually disgust as I viewed it as an attempt to run up the score.

Obviously bellacheat bets on his own team and needed to cover the 16 point spread :doublethumbsup:

belicheck's video showed that the browns defense would be unprepared

:doublethumbsup:

The decision to go for it on 4th down would be questionable even if the score was 0-0, much less a game where the Patriots were LEADING by 10 points. By going for it, you risk allowing the Browns a chance to tie it with just a FG and a TD. By going up 13 points, they would have made certain Cleveland needed two TOUCHDOWNS to win the game. With only 57 seconds left in the game, which is more likely? It's also a bit of an unsportsmanlike move considering how badly the Patriots were beating up on that team. My first reaction was actually disgust as I viewed it as an attempt to run up the score.

I agree that two touchdowns are harder, but two touchdowns still beat you! Crazier things have happened. If the Pats scored the TD, it would've forced the Browns to have to go for an onside kick TWICE to have a chance. As for the Pats beating up on the Browns, must not have been watching the same game I was. Even though the Pats had a good lead the Browns were in the game the whole way through and kept getting back into the game. The Pats failed many times to put the foot on the throat. 353 yards of offense and 2 touchdowns isn't exactly getting beat up by the other team. It wasn't until Gay forced Winslow to fumble and returned it for a TD that the game was out of reach for good.

but if they didnt get the td on 4th down, then cleveland is stuck backed up against their own goal instead of a kickoff return after a fg. belichik is worlds greatest footbal brain.

My general (and initial) reaction, as I said, was one of disgust at the idea they were trying to run up the score. Earlier in the drive, when one would expect them to simply run out the clock, Tom Brady was still throwing bombs to Randy Moss (incomplete passes, but attempted nonetheless). It all built up to my dissatisfaction, watching them air it out on the drive, wondering what the hell they were trying to prove. When they finally did stall within the 5 yard line and I saw them go for it, I simply thought "you've got to be kidding me...you've won the game...just let it go already".

It's also a bit of an unsportsmanlike move considering how badly the Patriots were beating up on that team. My first reaction was actually disgust as I viewed it as an attempt to run up the score.

Remember the lead the Pat's lost when they let Indy back in the game last year? It cost them the game. It will never happen again. Man up Poosay!

Why did the Browns not take a knee???? It's not like they had a CHANCE IN HE11 of winning?????? Why even try to pass the ball, game is over???????

Let's fix your quote shall we?

"It's also a bit of an unsportsmanlike move For the Browns not to take a knee. My first reaction was actually disgust as I viewed it as an attempt at a late meaningless score in order to not look as bad as they really are."

Hey....I like it! AND you sound more like a hater than a wuss :doublethumbsup:

but if they didnt get the td on 4th down, then cleveland is stuck backed up against their own goal instead of a kickoff return after a fg. belichik is worlds greatest footbal brain.

Good point. Had the Pats gone for the FG, they would've had to kick to a dangerous kick returner in Cribbs. If he returns it back for a touchdown and the Browns get the onside kick, then Belichick looks dumb for not going for the kill when he had the chance. If the Pats fail on 4th and goal, the Brown have to go 99 yards down the field with no timeouts. It was the right move. :thumbsup:

haters. :thumbsup:

see you in the superbowl :lol:

haters. :(

see you in the superbowl :cry:

Ironically, I am a Patriots fan. They've been my favorite team for as long as Belichik's been working his mojo. I hope they continue their winning ways and all that jazz. It was just a bad tension day for me as I was facing an owner with Randy Moss. That last drive by New England, featuring the deep right incomplete to Moss, was a killer for my nerves. My dissatisfaction started during the drive, then ended when I saw them trying to score even more points with under a minute to go.

There seems to be a real "attitude" surrounding the Patriots this year, and I don't know whether it comes from guys like Randy Moss or the whole cheating scandal, but they're certainly not endearing themselves to the fans outside of Boston. It reminds me of the ol' Miami Hurricane days, swagger taken to the extreme. Perhaps it's not obvious to everyone, but it's something all season which has left a bad taste in my mouth. Watching them attempt to score that last TD just seemed like a statement call more than a football call. I began looking for Mike Martz on the sideline.

Ironically, I am a Patriots fan. They've been my favorite team for as long as Belichik's been working his mojo. I hope they continue their winning ways and all that jazz. It was just a bad tension day for me as I was facing an owner with Randy Moss. That last drive by New England, featuring the deep right incomplete to Moss, was a killer for my nerves. My dissatisfaction started during the drive, then ended when I saw them trying to score even more points with under a minute to go.

There seems to be a real "attitude" surrounding the Patriots this year, and I don't know whether it comes from guys like Randy Moss or the whole cheating scandal, but they're certainly not endearing themselves to the fans outside of Boston. It reminds me of the ol' Miami Hurricane days, swagger taken to the extreme. Perhaps it's not obvious to everyone, but it's something all season which has left a bad taste in my mouth. Watching them attempt to score that last TD just seemed like a statement call more than a football call. I began looking for Mike Martz on the sideline.

The Patriots (as well as every other NFL franchise) don't care about your fantasy team. So forget the "stress" of you not wanting Randy to score, they are playing the game to win. Period. If holding the ball longer on that last drive meant passing the ball... so what? It's only a 10 point lead and your primary back is hurt. We all saw how quickly things can change with Dallas/buffalo.

I am amazed at the general lack of football savvy in this thread. It makes all the sense in the world to go on 4th down and leave the other team with a long field and needing two scores in very little time. Bad things can happen on FG attempts and on kick returns. You could even evaluate this as an attempt NOT TO RUN UP THE SCORE. Lighten up people. Recognize intelligent play calling for what it is.

It's also a bit of an unsportsmanlike move considering how badly the Patriots were beating up on that team. My first reaction was actually disgust as I viewed it as an attempt to run up the score.

They do it all the time. That's the Patriots m.o.

It makes all the sense in the world to go on 4th down and leave the other team with a long field and needing two scores in very little time. Bad things can happen on FG attempts

Then why don't teams just completely abandon FG attempts, ya know, just to avoid the 'bad things than can happen'???

I am amazed at the general lack of football savvy in this thread. It makes all the sense in the world to go on 4th down and leave the other team with a long field and needing two scores in very little time. Bad things can happen on FG attempts and on kick returns. You could even evaluate this as an attempt NOT TO RUN UP THE SCORE. Lighten up people. Recognize intelligent play calling for what it is.

:overhead:

Then why don't teams just completely abandon FG attempts, ya know, just to avoid the 'bad things than can happen'???

I guess that a discussion of game management within the context of game situation would be a waste of time with you.

If the Pats had gotten the 1st down they would have taken a knee a few times and killed the clock. They have done this many times before. The last thing BB was trying to do was run up the score on Crennel. If he wanted to do that they probably would have run a play-action fake.

Believe me, as a Gostkowski owner this year and last year, this is just how BB tries to kill the clock when they are in the red zone and are trying to protect a lead.

This is what I love about owning Tom Brady this year...they are still passing the ball even when they are up 20-24 pts in the mid to late 2nd half. The haters and media really pissed off BB cause he is not taking the foot off the gas this year at all when it comes to the offensive side of things and wants to prove a point it seems. I am sneaking in an extra 6pts every week from Brady cause I would think most teams would just run it out but it seems once a week I snag a late TD pass when the game is wrapped up.

It is incredible that so many people who, at least in theory, are familiar with the game, seem to have no clue about basic strategy. I don't blame it entirely on fantasy football. Other topics, like politics, race, etc, illustrate the internet's role as podium for the ill informed. But the dumbing down of this and similar forums is increasing at an alarming rate.

I hate how people think the Patriots are running up the score because of the new weapons, stat padding or trying to prove something because the camera crap. Belichick is trying to put the game away where no freak things can happen, he has always done this. They have been passing in games up by 10pts before and they'll do it again, if the defense is set to stop the run why not take what they give you and pass.

Ironically, I am a Patriots fan. They've been my favorite team for as long as Belichik's been working his mojo.

So you've stuck with them through thick and thin. :thumbsdown:

I'm not going to argue whether the Pats were running up the socre or not, as I think Bellicheck does what it takes to win period, and it was just stragetical decision he took to go for it on 4th down. He did what he though gave his team the best chance to win.

However I don't think its so cut and dried to go for it on 4th and not kick the field goal. The same number (if not more) of bad things that could happen on a field goal attempt can happen whether you choose to run (fumble) or pass (int, sack, fumble) when you go for it on 4th. Me personally I kick the filed goal and require two TDs to beat my team. A squib type kick limits a big kickoff return, and then inexperienced Derek Anderson must lead his team to two TDs against a very good defense (not to mention recovering an onside kick).

Not saying that Billy was wrong, and I wouldn't put my football smarts against his on any day, but it isn't as cut and dried as you make it out to be, which does allow for some to draw their conslusions as to motive (whether those conclusiosn are right or wrong).

Any intelligent coach goes for it there. If you watched much football you'd see coaches doing the same thing quite often. The chances of a team getting a TD and a FG thats pinned back inside their own 10 yard line with that little time remaining is far less than a team getting 2 TDs with a) the best return man in the NFL to this date (Cribbs) and even an average kickoff return would put them at around the 30 and Cleveland was moving the ball in the 2nd half...a quick TD, followed by an onside kick (in which anything can happen) is more likely of happening following a kickoff than a team that's pinned back deep in their own zone.

If your argument is "the Patriots were trying to run up the score" the fact that they ran Kyle Eckle straight into the line proves you are wrong.

Just another great move by a head coach that seems to always make the right call on the field.

Another stupid thread! The Pats ran the ball on that fourth down and were more concerned with burning the clock. If a TD ocurred great if not time would prohibit two scores. It was obvious to me what they were doing and another patriot bashing thread emerges. Get a life! :thumbsdown:

I hate the Patriots but this thread is STUPID.

As has been discussed it was a strategic move for various reasons to go for it on 4th down in that situation. They were up 10 not 24 or something like that.

Besides, I think any conversation about running up the score in PROFESSIONAL football is stupid. As Bobby Bowden once said its not my job to STOP my team from scoring, its YOURS. These guys are highly compensated to go out and compete every week. If you dont like what another team is doing, stop it.

:overhead: to all the whiners in this thread.

For everyone complaining about the Pats running the ball on 4th and 4 keep in mind that BB is smarter than you which is why he's the head coach of a great team and your on a message board bitching. The Pats didn't care if they scored a TD there or else they wouldn't have ran the ball. They would have tried a pass instead if they were intent on scoring.

Also, if you watched the Dallas game I can't believe people are saying that being up 10 means the game is over. I swear people just want to ###### and moan because their team sucks. If you kick the FG then your still only up 2 scores and then the Browns have a chance to return a kickoff. By going for it you either score a TD (ending the game) or pin them down with 90+ yards to score. Does anyone know anything about football thats complaining about this?

It's simple really... you get a first down (or score) game over. You can run out the clock or go up by three scores and don't give the other team any opportunity to win whatsoever, with very minimal risk should you fail.

On a funny side note, my buddy bet a G on the under. A field goal at the end would have still had the game under. But of course they went for it and didn't make it... then scored the defensive TD. Gambling at it's best/worst.

This isn't youth soccer. Its the NFL. Anyone crying that 'the score is getting run up" is not only a moron, but an imbecile.

You are up 2 scores, a field goal gives you minimal benefit.

If you don't make it, Browns are on the 4, which is a win. You make it, and stick a fork in it.

If you kick a field goal, you are still up less than 2 full scores, and you risk a KR TD.

There is clearly a superior move here, and an inferior move. BB made the SUPERIOR move, and thats why he has 3 SB rings.

I'm entitled to make one emotional thread every 3 years. This was a game-time expression of frustration at the stress over facing Randy Moss bombs when the Patriots where were looking not to run out the clock but score more points. I already made that clear. I don't give a damn about the strategy of going for it on 4th down.

:pointstosky: