Sign in to follow this  
pittnthat

2001 Pats taped the Rams final walkthrough

Boston Herald and ESPN REPORTING.

Oh this is going deep. Already Matt Walsh says he has tapes.

If he even has one single tape of spygate, it's over for the Pats....

It's already ruined the reputation of this franchise and you can't get rid of the cheater label when you are caught and admit to it. Now an NFL coverup.

Actually the NFL may be going down.

This from the BOSTON Herald

Source: Pats employee filmed Rams

By John Tomase | Saturday, February 2, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | N.E. Patriots

Photo

Photo by Nancy Lane

PHOENIX - One night before the Patriots [team stats] face the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, new allegations have emerged about a Patriots employee taping the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI.

According to a source, a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game. The next day, the Patriots upset St. Louis, 20-17, on a last-second field goal by Adam Vinatieri for their first championship.

A walkthrough involves practicing plays at reduced speed without contact or pads. It is common for teams to film their own walkthroughs and practices.

When contacted last night, Patriots vice president of media relations Stacey James said: “The coaches have no knowledge of it.”

Yesterday, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) stated that he plans to summon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before Congress to explain why he destroyed tapes that showed the Patriots stealing defensive signals over the last two years.

After his state of the NFL press conference yesterday, Goodell was asked if the league’s investigation into the Pats included allegations that they recorded the Rams walkthrough in 2002.

“I’m not aware of that,” Goodell said.

“We have no information on that,” seconded NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

According to a source close to the team during the 2001 season, here’s what happened. On Feb. 2, 2002, one day before the Patriots’ Super Bowl game against heavily favored St. Louis in New Orleans, the Patriots visited the Superdome for their final walkthrough.

After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.

It’s not known what the cameraman did with the tape from there. It’s also not known if he made the recording on his own initiative or if he was instructed to make the recording by someone with the Patriots or anyone else.

The next day, the Patriots opened a 14-3 halftime lead on the Rams, who were 14-point favorites and operators of an offense known as “The Greatest Show on Turf.”

The Rams didn’t begin moving the ball until the fourth quarter, when their 14-point rally pulled the teams into a 17-17 tie with less than two minutes remaining. Tom Brady [stats] then led the most famous drive in Patriots history for the winning field goal.

The Patriots were fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft pick for breaking league policy and filming the Jets’ defensive signals from the sideline in September.

Asked yesterday if he believed the Pats used similar films to achieve their three Super Bowl victories, Goodell was adamant.

“No,” he said. “There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories.”

Nah, videotaping couldn't have possibly helped them in any Super Bowl Vitory. It appears Goodell never took one single step beyond asking nicely if the Pats could hand over their tapes. There wasn't enough time for him to even interview Pats employees to find things like this out before he destroyed tapes and handed out his punishment. Goodell wanted to sweep this under the rug as quick as possible. It's blowing up in his face.

It's too much to ask for, but can anyone wait for what these alleged tapes of the rams walkthrough to come out? It was reported that he just stayed after the Pats walkthrough, and no one checked to see who he was with, and it wasnt clear if the coaches ordered him to tape it. Does it really seem likely the coaches would send in someone to film it without a press pass, which should mean getting caught immediately? and why would he have the tape if the team used it? There is a chance he filmed this on his own doing, and with this tape and the opportunity, may have been looking for a little hush money for the tape, regardless of its use. Though I do agree that if this tape is the Rams walkthrough, and it was used by the Patriots, then that championship is in fact tainted and the last few years become very disturbing to me :unsure:

And I agree that either way this ends up, its not good at all for the NFL, and Goodell will have a massive cleanup job on his hands.

It's too much to ask for, but can anyone wait for what these alleged tapes of the rams walkthrough to come out? It was reported that he just stayed after the Pats walkthrough, and no one checked to see who he was with, and it wasnt clear if the coaches ordered him to tape it. Does it really seem likely the coaches would send in someone to film it without a press pass, which should mean getting caught immediately? and why would he have the tape if the team used it? There is a chance he filmed this on his own doing, and with this tape and the opportunity, may have been looking for a little hush money for the tape, regardless of its use. Though I do agree that if this tape is the Rams walkthrough, and it was used by the Patriots, then that championship is in fact tainted and the last few years become very disturbing to me :unsure:

And I agree that either way this ends up, its not good at all for the NFL, and Goodell will have a massive cleanup job on his hands.

Sure, benefit of the doubt is given in almost every case, but when they are proven to have done illegal videotaping in the past....I think it's safe to weight these allegations heavier than in most cases.

I didn't read where it said this guy still has the tape.

They cheated - there is nothing else to it!

WATCH the Iggles Superbowl; EVERYTIME The iggles blitz, they are tossing a screen pass... thats why it alsways works for them

:unsure:

If this is true.

All I can say is.

Bill Belichick truly is a genius. What other person would be smart enough to tape the other teams walkthrough?

GENIUS!!

Imagine if Poland had German's battle plans before world war 2 started?

Everyone is always saying what a "WAR" the NFL is. Why can't you give general Belichick his just due?

Could someone show me a rule that says you aren't allowed to record the other teams walk-through?

haters :doublethumbsup:

It's too much to ask for, but can anyone wait for what these alleged tapes of the rams walkthrough to come out? It was reported that he just stayed after the Pats walkthrough, and no one checked to see who he was with, and it wasnt clear if the coaches ordered him to tape it. Does it really seem likely the coaches would send in someone to film it without a press pass, which should mean getting caught immediately? and why would he have the tape if the team used it? There is a chance he filmed this on his own doing, and with this tape and the opportunity, may have been looking for a little hush money for the tape, regardless of its use. Though I do agree that if this tape is the Rams walkthrough, and it was used by the Patriots, then that championship is in fact tainted and the last few years become very disturbing to me :doublethumbsup:

A rational post. Very odd when the topic is the Pats. Unfortunately there is such a pure hatred (that was there before videogate although some pretend that's their reason for hating) of the Pats that guilty until proven innocent is par for the course. Whether it's running up the score, getting lucky, catching breaks from the refs or this issue the bashers are in attack mode. It's not going to change regardless of what the evidence is. It's much easier to hate when you have something to hang your hat on.

As far as this topic goes there are legit issues that need to be answered and I think any Patriot fan that's not being a complete homer should recognize that. If it is proven that the Pats did not follow Goodell's orders they should be penalized accordingly and they'd have no one to blame but themselves. Not doing as the commish requested is simply unacceptable and it would be an embarrassment to the franchise. Yet, if these allegations are proven false or can not be proven with legit evidence please don't hold your breath waiting for the bashers to give up their quest to marginalize the Patriots. That's something that's never going to end and they will latch onto something else whether it's based on fact or speculation.

In the end I truly hope these new allegations are false. Yet, before I scream the Patriots are innocent I will await actual facts before I get into back and fourths with those who have already made up their mind and are willing to condemn based on emotion and not hard evidence.

Is the NFL going to make the Patriots forfeit their Super Bowl victories? I doubt it. So it's not worth getting worked up over these stories.

They cheated - there is nothing else to it!

WATCH the Iggles Superbowl; EVERYTIME The iggles blitz, they are tossing a screen pass... thats why it alsways works for them

:doublethumbsup:

The Eagles were blitzing on almost every play. Most Pats fans wonder what took them so long to start calling for screens.

For everyone outside of Boston - the Herald is a tabloid. They are always sensationalizing things. Now I'm not saying that this didn't happen but until this "source" reveals themselves or this tape shows up somewhere I think we all need to calm down. For all we know this could have been IndyTom calling the Heralds offices with this story.

Quick quesion for everyone who believes everything they read in the paper. If somone knew about this in 2001 why did they wait 6 years to come public with it? Especially after the Pats got caught in week 1, everyone would have believed them. But coming out 1 day before the SB. Come on, this is just like the Senator claiming to need evidence 2 days before the SB. WTF were these people 16 weeks ago?

A rational post. Very odd when the topic is the Pats. Unfortunately there is such a pure hatred (that was there before videogate although some pretend that's their reason for hating) of the Pats

I can't speak for all 'haters', but I never had a problem with New England until this year. Hell, Edjr and some of teh other guys who were here in previous seasons can attest to teh fact that I used to love riling up teh Peyton Manning lovers by throwing it in their faces that he could never beat teh pats ina big game. I also always said that they ran their team a lot like the eagles- they refuse to overpay players based on loyalty or them having a 'big name'.

My hatred began with the cheating, but that's not the main reason. I lost all respect for them the way they approached their games in the first half of the season (when they were really good). They bypassed all protocal and ethics by going for 4th down and throwing passes with 40+ point leads in the fourth quarters of games. The final straw was the way they ran the score up on a coaching legend like Joe Gibbs, who is not only a top ten all-time coach, but a class-act who is widely loved and respected around the league. I know Belichick plays by his own set of rules, but a supposed great coach like him should have a little respect for teh great ones who came before him.

I'm not sure why you're trying to insinuate that people are in need of a pretend-reason for hating your precious team. They chose to become public enemy number one. When you forsake class to prove a point, you can expect tpo be hated and disrespected. Especially when the 'point' you're trying to make is that people shouldn't dare be mad at you just because you decided that cheating was acceptable.

It's funny watching Patriot Nation get so defensive!!! :headbanger:

If that's the case, it's been the funniest season in NFL history.

I can't speak for all 'haters', but I never had a problem with New England until this year. Hell, Edjr and some of teh other guys who were here in previous seasons can attest to teh fact that I used to love riling up teh Peyton Manning lovers by throwing it in their faces that he could never beat teh pats ina big game. I also always said that they ran their team a lot like the eagles- they refuse to overpay players based on loyalty or them having a 'big name'.

My hatred began with the cheating, but that's not the main reason. I lost all respect for them the way they approached their games in the first half of the season (when they were really good). They bypassed all protocal and ethics by going for 4th down and throwing passes with 40+ point leads in the fourth quarters of games. The final straw was the way they ran the score up on a coaching legend like Joe Gibbs, who is not only a top ten all-time coach, but a class-act who is widely loved and respected around the league. I know Belichick plays by his own set of rules, but a supposed great coach like him should have a little respect for teh great ones who came before him.

I'm not sure why you're trying to insinuate that people are in need of a pretend-reason for hating your precious team. They chose to become public enemy number one. When you forsake class to prove a point, you can expect tpo be hated and disrespected. Especially when the 'point' you're trying to make is that people shouldn't dare be mad at you just because you decided that cheating was acceptable.

Same with me, I actually rooted for them out of the AFC. I liked their style of play in the physical play game with the Colts. I was a big fan of Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy.

Then they caught the ghey along with their fans.

:headbanger: Post the link where you said all this prior to spygate? Who gives a ###### if someone ran up the score on Gibbs. If Gibbs had his team prepared that would not have happened. The Eagles franchise and their fans like yourself will be public enemy number one. It's funny how most of the people posting about spygate are Eagles and Steelers fans! Let me ask you this? Do you think the Philadelphia Eagles have ever stolen and opponents signals in the history of the franchise or any other kind of underhanded stuff to gain an advantage. You can't answer that! Oh yeah you said they ran their teams like the Eagles. If they did why don't the Eagles have a Lombardi trophy? :lol: you are a joke. Oh yeah I feel real scorned that you have me on ignore :cry: Also it's ok for you to make 1000 or so posts about the Patriots a team you "hate". When I post something about the Eagles it's "He needs to be banned" talk. You sir are one of the biggest hypocrites on this board. Enjoy a month away from posting here maybe you can raise your daughter right since you will be away from the computer for a while. :lol:

Wait. Let me guess. Macgee once again responded to me despite the fact that he knows I've had him on ignore for six months. :headbanger:

He's like the idiot who keeps talking into the phone for ten minutes after he's been hung-up on. What a marooooon. :cry:

So what happens if, during their final walkthroughs today, the Giants catch a Patriot cameraman taping their practice?

What would Goodell do then, because it would definitely add VERY much fuel to the fire...

Wait. Let me guess. Macgee once again responded to me despite the fact that he knows I've had him on ignore for six months. :overhead:

He's like the idiot who keeps talking into the phone for ten minutes after he's been hung-up on. What a marooooon. :lol:

Yep I am a marooooon I really don't like that color though.

A rational post. Very odd when the topic is the Pats. Unfortunately there is such a pure hatred (that was there before videogate although some pretend that's their reason for hating) of the Pats that guilty until proven innocent is par for the course. Whether it's running up the score, getting lucky, catching breaks from the refs or this issue the bashers are in attack mode. It's not going to change regardless of what the evidence is. It's much easier to hate when you have something to hang your hat on.

As far as this topic goes there are legit issues that need to be answered and I think any Patriot fan that's not being a complete homer should recognize that. If it is proven that the Pats did not follow Goodell's orders they should be penalized accordingly and they'd have no one to blame but themselves. Not doing as the commish requested is simply unacceptable and it would be an embarrassment to the franchise. Yet, if these allegations are proven false or can not be proven with legit evidence please don't hold your breath waiting for the bashers to give up their quest to marginalize the Patriots. That's something that's never going to end and they will latch onto something else whether it's based on fact or speculation.

In the end I truly hope these new allegations are false. Yet, before I scream the Patriots are innocent I will await actual facts before I get into back and fourths with those who have already made up their mind and are willing to condemn based on emotion and not hard evidence.

Nice post Boston- I agree, someone needs to pursue these allegations to bring substance to them. Do I think this will happen soon? yes. But I do believe in innocent untill proven guilty.

Imagine if Poland had German's battle plans before world war 2 started?

wouldn't have mattered. poland was still using horse cavalry and a cordon defense in 1939.

but i get what you're saying.

wouldn't have mattered. poland was still using horse cavalry and a cordon defense in 1939.

but i get what you're saying.

Well sure, they still would have needed the help of other countries, but they would have been much better "prepared". Which is what the NFL is all about. Preperation.

:wub:

Though I do agree that if this tape is the Rams walkthrough, and it was used by the Patriots, then that championship is in fact tainted and the last few years become very disturbing to me :wub:

agreed.

if this is all legit... NE had a guy stay behind to film the Rams' walkthrough... it's pretty bad.

this story smells.

first, there is no source. the first source on this story is Michael Smith from Espn, and now he says he knew nothing of this.

If it is true and someone was told to film the Rams walkthrough, then it is wrong. The Spygate crap was a bunch of "nothing" made up by the media and haters. This would be a different story. I am not buying it until someone credible comes forward and says Belichick instructed me to film the Rams and has something to back it up.

i've heard this rumor for years, but i heard it was the Rams who got caught filming. It doesn't matter. Lets play the game and whoop that Giant ass and they all can go suck a big fat d1cjk :doublethumbsup:

Is the NFL going to make the Patriots forfeit their Super Bowl victories? I doubt it. So it's not worth getting worked up over these stories.

No, but it would again revalidate everyone's hatred of the Patriots, and it would be harder for Pat fans to defend their dynasty if the allegations are true. It's a big deal, yeah, but judgement needs to be reserved until the allegations are proved true by a revelation of hard evidence.

If it is true, I am more pissed off at Goodell for trying to let it blow over by destroying the evidence the Pats brought to him at the beginning of the year and out and out trying to just move on without investigating further. Absolutely when they were caught in week 1 it called into question how long they were doing it, but Goodell wants to focus on keeping Pacman out of wrestling rather than trying to really, truly clean up the sport.

Let's assume this actually happened - here's my question:

Who is more upset about this coming out, the Patriots or the Rams?

The Pats for obvious reasons or the Rams for being stupid enought to let a guy sit in the stands and film their walkthrough right before the SB.

Let's assume this actually happened - here's my question:

Who is more upset about this coming out, the Patriots or the Rams?

The Pats for obvious reasons or the Rams for being stupid enought to let a guy sit in the stands and film their walkthrough right before the SB.

Could it be that, since the Rams were just going about their business and trying to win a football game, they didn't consider that the other team was trying to cheat? That's like saying it's a guy's fault if he runs to the mall and his wife screws another guy. Should all teams now assume that every team is looking for a way to cheat just because one team seems to need it?

Could it be that, since the Rams were just going about their business and trying to win a football game, they didn't consider that the other team was trying to cheat? That's like saying it's a guy's fault if he runs to the mall and his wife screws another guy. Should all teams now assume that every team is looking for a way to cheat just because one team seems to need it?

Well going back to people like Landry and George Allen, there have been spies at practices and walkthroughs. They used to send people into the woods at practice facilities to make sure that no one was watching practice. They used to be so concerned about helicopters flying near practice that they would pull their team off the field early.

In case you have not been paying attention, this stuff has been going on for decades! If the Rams did not check out who was watching their walk-through or if the Iggles didn't change their defensive signals (with 2 weeks to prepare), then shame on them because this gamesmanship has been going on since people started putting on pads.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS. BEEN HAPPENING SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN. MOVE ALONG NOW!

this story smells.

first, there is no source. the first source on this story is Michael Smith from Espn, and now he says he knew nothing of this.

If it is true and someone was told to film the Rams walkthrough, then it is wrong. The Spygate crap was a bunch of "nothing" made up by the media and haters. This would be a different story. I am not buying it until someone credible comes forward and says Belichick instructed me to film the Rams and has something to back it up.

i've heard this rumor for years, but i heard it was the Rams who got caught filming. It doesn't matter. Lets play the game and whoop that Giant ass and they all can go suck a big fat d1cjk :unsure:

Wow...what a homer. Spygate was a bunch of nothing?

Does the NFL usually take away a draft pick and fine coaches and owners unprecedented amounts over nothing?

NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS. BEEN HAPPENING SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN. MOVE ALONG NOW!

Does that make it right?

Wow...what a homer. Spygate was a bunch of nothing?

Does the NFL usually take away a draft pick and fine coaches and owners unprecedented amounts over nothing?

It is a bunch of nothing. Roger Goodell is the new sheriff in town he had to react or overreact shall I say. Alot the former players say it's a bunch of nothing because they know the deal. If you really want to punish a team take away games won. Do you really think the Pats are crying over losing that pick hell they prolly would have traded it to the 49ers for another top ten pick next year anyways. As far as the money goes :unsure: