Sign in to follow this  
bigmarc27

OK Tarheel Boy

FHAAAAK! And ASU beat Arizona .... IN TUCSON! Last time that happened ... 1995.

At least Washington upset UCLA.

Most suspect that the Arizona coach wont last the season....he is clearly not ready for D1....

Also, I was really impressed with Clemson. They played such an aggressive style and it clearly put UNC on their "heels" for the entire first half. It also put them in a lot of foul trouble; if they can still play aggressive without the fouls that is one nasty team.

I'm a big UNC fan, but even when they were still undefeated I said ...as good as they look now they will not win the championship and I doubt they will get to the final 4.

they don't play good D

As good as the Off. is (I think like 1st or 2nd in the whole nation) they go in spurts where they are cold as hell.

And the bench is iffy. You have Danny Green who is solid, but after that is is a pretty bad bench.

Ellington has to show up more consistantly, with the way UNC plays D, they need Lawson, Ellington, and Hans to show up each game. Hans is the only player that you can count on having a good game each night.

Other teams like Kansas, Memphis, and even Duke, have too many ways to win. They all play better D than UNC, and all have more balanced scoring.

I still like Kansas to win it all.

I hope UNC can get the Defense fixed by March.

Most suspect that the Arizona coach wont last the season....he is clearly not ready for D1....

Maybe Im missing an inside joke but are you talking about Kevin O'Neil? The interim Arizona coach who has coached three D1 teams, has been a HC in the NBA, and is suppose to take over for Lute Olson when he retires?

I'm a big UNC fan, but even when they were still undefeated I said ...as good as they look now they will not win the championship and I doubt they will get to the final 4.

they don't play good D

As good as the Off. is (I think like 1st or 2nd in the whole nation) they go in spurts where they are cold as hell.

And the bench is iffy. You have Danny Green who is solid, but after that is is a pretty bad bench.

Ellington has to show up more consistantly, with the way UNC plays D, they need Lawson, Ellington, and Hans to show up each game. Hans is the only player that you can count on having a good game each night.

Other teams like Kansas, Memphis, and even Duke, have too many ways to win. They all play better D than UNC, and all have more balanced scoring.

I still like Kansas to win it all.

I hope UNC can get the Defense fixed by March.

Im a Maryland alum but grew up a Carolina fan and follow the ACC very closely.

I agree 100% with this. Carolina wont make it out of the sweet 16 w/ the way their playing D right now. And losing Frasor really hurt more than people realize. I guess it shows now w/ Lawson sidelined. IMO Ellington sucks and has always been overrated. He's a decent shooter but the rest of his game his lacking and recently he's not even hitting his open looks.

Since Gary Williams cant recruit and Carolina doesnt play D it looks like I'll spend as much time in March rooting against Duke as I will rooting for the Terps and Heels.

IMO Ellington sucks and has always been overrated. He's a decent shooter but the rest of his game his lacking and recently he's not even hitting his open looks.

Wayne Ellington - 16.4 ppg, 39% 3pt, 90% FT. Obviously you only watched the Duke game where he struggled. Other than those 40 minutes he has been spectacular. HTH

I've never seen a 22-2 team that is top 5 in scoring in the NCAA being so discounted by the masses. The Heels have played the last 3 games with their 3rd string PG running the show, of course they are gonna struggle a little. The Defense is actually getting better and should continue to do so.

Maybe Im missing an inside joke but are you talking about Kevin O'Neil? The interim Arizona coach who has coached three D1 teams, has been a HC in the NBA, and is suppose to take over for Lute Olson when he retires?

Im a Maryland alum but grew up a Carolina fan and follow the ACC very closely.

I agree 100% with this. Carolina wont make it out of the sweet 16 w/ the way their playing D right now. And losing Frasor really hurt more than people realize. I guess it shows now w/ Lawson sidelined. IMO Ellington sucks and has always been overrated. He's a decent shooter but the rest of his game his lacking and recently he's not even hitting his open looks.

Since Gary Williams cant recruit and Carolina doesnt play D it looks like I'll spend as much time in March rooting against Duke as I will rooting for the Terps and Heels.

After the first Clemson game I thought Ellington arrived as a very good player. He was shooting well the first half of the year, and now he just is cold.

I figured with Hans demanding a double many times, it could leave him open for automatic jumpers, but I'm not sure what is wrong with him. His 1st year he was solid but streaky, and a good player for a Freshmen. Now he is doing the same after it looked like he took his game to a higher level.

Maybe he will snap out of it, I think he is better than a decent shooter, he has a smooth stroke.

My problem with the Off. is where are all the athletes, UNC bleeds athletes and I thought we had some. Danny Green takes open 3s but can't hit a mid-range jumper, and never seems to get to the basket. When he isn't shooting 3s he settles for runner floaters that never go in. For as althetic as UNC is said too be by everyone, they really don't show it. The whiteboy Hans shows the most athetic moves. They really don't have that 6'4-6'7 athlete that can get to and above the rim, I thought it was Green this year, but he doesn't do much of that. The last few years you had guys like Terry, Noel, and B. Wright that was that sort of guy.

UNC can't buy a mid-range jumper either. Ellington has been off and he's the only one that hits it. Again Hans can do that. But i see the Off. as 2 options, settle for 3s or Hans scores inside.

Hey the Off. scores points I guess, but they can't be off on the Off. end of the floor in any night...because the Def. end is never on in any night.

Correct, I predict that O'neil is gone at teh end of the season if nto sooner...JMHO, regardless of his past experiences

Gary sure has had his trouble recruiting hasn't he?? Still, look at how he has that team playing right now, and they still haven't yet found their stride, if they manage to get themselves in order by march....look out...

Wayne Ellington - 16.4 ppg, 39% 3pt, 90% FT. Obviously you only watched the Duke game where he struggled. Other than those 40 minutes he has been spectacular. HTH

I've never seen a 22-2 team that is top 5 in scoring in the NCAA being so discounted by the masses. The Heels have played the last 3 games with their 3rd string PG running the show, of course they are gonna struggle a little. The Defense is actually getting better and should continue to do so.

I agree that Ellington is a good player, but he has been off for much of the last month. Besides he doesn't do much else other than shoot the ball.

The 3rd string PG (Quinton Thomas) has actually played better than expected. They have struggled before Lawson even went out.

The Def. can only get better, but to win vs. a Kansas type team it needs to be waaay better.

The problem I see is they havn't really taken care of business and havn't beat a good team in decent fashion.

Thanks for the HTH but I dont need it. I've watched Ellington play since he was in high school and IMO he has always been overrated. He does have a smooth release and CAN be a good shooter but he's been inconsistent. And I look at the other parts of his game and I just dont see a great player. His ball handling is not where it should be and I havent seen any of the explosiveness or ability to get to the rim that he showed against inferior high school athletes. He's not a great passer or defender, and he needs to do a better job in learning how to set up screens and playing without the ball. He is decent at creating his own shot but again, I dont see the athleticism or explosion neccesary to do that consistently against superior competition.

His stats are decent, especially since we all know that being a good FT shooter makes you a great player. :banana: But again, I just dont see a great player like he was hyped up to be coming out of HS. Obviously, I was overstating it by saying he sucks but IMO he's a decent college player who can put up a decent avg. while playing for a very talented team but he is not a dynamic player and he will fall short of a lot of peoples expectations of him as some considered him to be the top 2 guard of his class.

I dont know about the masses discounting Carolina. As I stated, I like the Heels and they are my 2nd favorite team but I also know they need to play better D and have a healthy Lawson. And if you watched the Duke and Clemson games and think that UNC is playing "better defense" right now then you need to learn some more about basketball.

HTH

Correct, I predict that O'neil is gone at teh end of the season if nto sooner...JMHO, regardless of his past experiences

Gary sure has had his trouble recruiting hasn't he?? Still, look at how he has that team playing right now, and they still haven't yet found their stride, if they manage to get themselves in order by march....look out...

Maybe, I just know that O'Neil has a lot of experience and it was thought to be a pretty big deal when Olson brought him on staff and I've heard that he was in line to get the job when Lute retires.

As for the Terps, GW usually does find a way to get his guys playing well but he's GOT to start recruiting better. I know we won a Natl championship w/ guys who werent big time recruits but its ridiculous the way we never get ANY of the top local talent. Durant, Lawson, Beasley, Jeff Green, Rudy Gay, Scottie Reynolds just to name a few. And if you arent gonna get those guys then you can still get some of the better area players that continually get away.

I used to be heavily involved with the high school, AAU scene in the DC-MD-VA area unitl I temporarily moved out here to South Bend and I have several friends who are coaching in that area. Since Dave Dickinson left Marylands recruiting has taken a major nosedive. I just wish they could take better advantage of having so much talent available in the VA, DC, and Baltimore areas.

I dont know about the masses discounting Carolina. As I stated, I like the Heels and they are my 2nd favorite team but I also know they need to play better D and have a healthy Lawson. And if you watched the Duke and Clemson games and think that UNC is playing "better defense" right now then you need to learn some more about basketball.

"Better Defense" is relative to how bad they were playing the first half of the season and more speaking to the games prior to the Lawson injury. I guess since UNC is only your "second favorite team" :banana: you don't watch every single televised game they play and go to half of them as I do. Duke was an aberration, the Heels got manhandled in every facet on both ends of the ball, I give them a mulligan on that one and there is really nothing else to say, it was awful. Other than that game and the first half last night they have been playing better overall D since the Maryland loss. Actually, they created a boatload of turnovers last night the last 30 minutes of the game once QT settled down.

In regards to Ellington, I can only assume your perception of him must have been higher than most other Tar Heel fans around here in the Chapel Hill area as we are ecstatic about his play, save the Duke game.

"Better Defense" is relative to how bad they were playing the first half of the season and more speaking to the games prior to the Lawson injury. I guess since UNC is only your "second favorite team" :banana: you don't watch every single televised game they play and go to half of them as I do. Duke was an aberration, the Heels got manhandled in every facet on both ends of the ball, I give them a mulligan on that one and there is really nothing else to say, it was awful. Other than that game and the first half last night they have been playing better overall D since the Maryland loss. Actually, they created a boatload of turnovers last night the last 30 minutes of the game once QT settled down.

In regards to Ellington, I can only assume your perception of him must have been higher than most other Tar Heel fans around here in the Chapel Hill area as we are ecstatic about his play, save the Duke game.

If a team is playing better defense you'd think they would show that in conference games and w/ their starting PG out knowing that they need to stop people to win w/ a 3rd string ball handler. As someone who wants UNC to do well Im just pointing out that they need to player better and more CONSISTENT D if they wanna make the Final Four run that they have the potential to do.

And I broke down why I dont think Ellington is that good and made specific points about his game, and you respond by saying that you live in the area and according to you the local fans are "escatic with his play." Ok, great if you say so. And what do you mean you can only assume (my) perception of him must have been higher than most other Tar Heel fans around there?

On a sidebar, the wife and I have identified the Research Triangle area as our #1 area to relocate next summer. How do you like living there?

Maybe we can become neighbors.

:first:

Alright, I'm not one to ###### about the refs in a game and I'm not saying they cost Clemson the game last night. However, there was some shady stuff going on. Clemson had shot 3 FTs w/ 1 minute to play in the game. That's b.s.

From a blog:

DUKE AND NORTH CAROLINA PLAYED HOME BASKETBALL GAMES THIS WEEKEND AND THE BLUE DEVILS AND TAR HEELS COMBINED TO SHOOT 69 FREE THROWS WHILE THEIR OPPONENTS SHOT 20. DUKE AND NORTH CAROLINA COMBINED TO MAKE 51 FREE THROWS AND THEIR OPPONENTS MADE 10.

Combined, they MADE 31 more FTs than their opponents attempted. :banana:

If a team is playing better defense you'd think they would show that in conference games and w/ their starting PG out knowing that they need to stop people to win w/ a 3rd string ball handler. As someone who wants UNC to do well Im just pointing out that they need to player better and more CONSISTENT D if they wanna make the Final Four run that they have the potential to do.

And I broke down why I dont think Ellington is that good and made specific points about his game, and you respond by saying that you live in the area and according to you the local fans are "escatic with his play." Ok, great if you say so. And what do you mean you can only assume (my) perception of him must have been higher than most other Tar Heel fans around there?

On a sidebar, the wife and I have identified the Research Triangle area as our #1 area to relocate next summer. How do you like living there?

Maybe we can become neighbors.

:doh:

I think the Ellington deal is all about perception and expectation. I never expected him to be a terrific ball handler nor as good of an athlete as his highschool buddy down the road G.Henderson. There are not many people that thought he was gonna be the next MJ or even Rashad Mcants. He is the second leading scorer on the team and makes a great percentage of this 3's, as well as showing a much better tendancy of taking it to the hole compered to last year. I guess you expected much more from him, hence the criticism. Also, he played really really bad against Duke in the National spotlight which I think leads to this perception. :first:

I believe we have gotten off-track in regards to the defense. Of course to make it to the Final 4 and/or beyond, the Heels will have to improve on Defense, we agree there. My point was that they have actually been doing that exact thing compared to the beginning of the season except for the Duke game and the first half last night. That was my only point. In particular we need to get better on defending the high screens which leads to open 3's for the opposition. It is glaring liablility for this team.

I just found it funny that the first couple posts in this thread were about 1.How bad the Defense is, and 2.How bad Ellington has played. The reason it is funny to me is that if you only watched the Duke vs. UNC game this is what you might think, but anyone that has seen this team all season knows a little better. It's as if someone watched one game and then posted "Yeah they suck at D and Ellington can't shoot." based on that one Duke game. I mean geez, Weezy scored 28 points last night and the defense forced 20 turnovers.

RTP has a lot of job opportunities and the weather is nice. Due to this there is a lot of diversity in the area. Half my neighbors are either from Philly, NJ, or NY. Of course I'm partial to the area, but it was ranked the #1 best place to live a few years ago in some national poll. If you need any kind of particular info let me know. :banana:

Alright, I'm not one to ###### about the refs in a game and I'm not saying they cost Clemson the game last night. However, there was some shady stuff going on. Clemson had shot 3 FTs w/ 1 minute to play in the game. That's b.s.

From a blog:

DUKE AND NORTH CAROLINA PLAYED HOME BASKETBALL GAMES THIS WEEKEND AND THE BLUE DEVILS AND TAR HEELS COMBINED TO SHOOT 69 FREE THROWS WHILE THEIR OPPONENTS SHOT 20. DUKE AND NORTH CAROLINA COMBINED TO MAKE 51 FREE THROWS AND THEIR OPPONENTS MADE 10.

Combined, they MADE 31 more FTs than their opponents attempted. :thumbsdown:

I cannot speak for the Dookies, but Clemson was pressing the whole game and sending 4 guys crashing the boards for offensive rebounds. That kind of agressive play will lead to fouls. Plus, the way you guys shoot Free Throws you should be happy no fouls were called to send you guys to the line. :overhead:

I cannot speak for the Dookies, but Clemson was pressing the whole game and sending 4 guys crashing the boards for offensive rebounds. That kind of agressive play will lead to fouls. Plus, the way you guys shoot Free Throws you should be happy no fouls were called to send you guys to the line. :thumbsdown:

Agreed. As I watched the game I found myself wincing every so often as Clemson player used his body like a bludgeoning tool. I think it worked extremely well for them in the first half, but Roy managed to get his team to step up and get a little more physical, but also play in such a way as to draw those fouls.

If you know a team is going to overplay you defensively, there are things you can do to use that to your advantage. I normally disdain that kind of play, but it was rather enjoyable to watch in this instance.... :overhead:

I think the Ellington deal is all about perception and expectation. I never expected him to be a terrific ball handler nor as good of an athlete as his highschool buddy down the road G.Henderson. There are not many people that thought he was gonna be the next MJ or even Rashad Mcants. He is the second leading scorer on the team and makes a great percentage of this 3's, as well as showing a much better tendancy of taking it to the hole compered to last year. I guess you expected much more from him, hence the criticism. Also, he played really really bad against Duke in the National spotlight which I think leads to this perception. :dunno:

I believe we have gotten off-track in regards to the defense. Of course to make it to the Final 4 and/or beyond, the Heels will have to improve on Defense, we agree there. My point was that they have actually been doing that exact thing compared to the beginning of the season except for the Duke game and the first half last night. That was my only point. In particular we need to get better on defending the high screens which leads to open 3's for the opposition. It is glaring liablility for this team.

I just found it funny that the first couple posts in this thread were about 1.How bad the Defense is, and 2.How bad Ellington has played. The reason it is funny to me is that if you only watched the Duke vs. UNC game this is what you might think, but anyone that has seen this team all season knows a little better. It's as if someone watched one game and then posted "Yeah they suck at D and Ellington can't shoot." based on that one Duke game. I mean geez, Weezy scored 28 points last night and the defense forced 20 turnovers.

RTP has a lot of job opportunities and the weather is nice. Due to this there is a lot of diversity in the area. Half my neighbors are either from Philly, NJ, or NY. Of course I'm partial to the area, but it was ranked the #1 best place to live a few years ago in some national poll. If you need any kind of particular info let me know. :overhead:

I agree that we got off track in regards to the D. I live in crap azz big 10 country right now and miss watching my ACC basketball so you likely do have a better read on how their playing D right now. Its just that the last 3 games I've seen them play they havent played well on D. And you are exactly right when it comes to defending the high ball screen. Its been horrific.

As far as Ellington goes my perception of him is based on me being involved with AAU and high school basketball for the last several years hearing about a lot of players. Nationally, Ellington was very highly regarded, moreso than McCants coming out of HS, and many recruiting "experts" even had him rated as the #1 off guard in his class. Everyone knew Henderson was more athletic but Ellington was though to be much more skilled and the better overall player. So maybe the expectations werent that high in Chapel Hill but Ellington was VERY much thought to be a big time player and recruit. I know he hit the big shot against Clemson the first time and has played relatively well in stretches but personally I just dont see the big time player that some others do and I never did. Maybe Im wrong and he'll develop into stud but I just dont think he's THAT good. JMO

And thanks for offering info in regard to the area. The wife has 1 more year of law school here in South Bend then we're outta here. Im thinking about law school myself and will be applying to Chapel Hill and UNC Central. Regardless, after doing some research the last few weeks we really think that's where our next move will be. I have a couple of contacts there and my parents live not too far up the way in Richmond, VA. I really would like to go back to the DC area but the fact that you can get so much more house for the $$$ in North Carolina is a big factor. Plus not having to deal w/ Beltway traffic and I like the thought of going to an area that's still growing. We'll see how it goes.

:thumbsdown: