Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

2008 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Kansas City Chiefs

Great pick. Dorsey is my #2 pick in the contest (At least the other 4 are right so far).

Rumor has it the Saints offered #10 and #41 and the Chiefs declined. That would be about 80 points over standard cost, ie a 4th round pick.

J

I can't imagine they'd get high enough with the third 1st rounder to get a trio that good. I'd think they'd be hoping a guy like Talib fell far enough to get in the late 20's. Perhaps a Cason or Calais Campbell? I'd prefer they just stay at 35 and get what they're looking for there.

only way I think they get back up there now is to trade their 2nd rounder, which I'm not sure would be worth it anyways.

I imagine they now look at OT with pick 17, and probably corner with their 2nd rounder.

Addition of Dorsey changes the face of the D-Line instantaneously, probablu now once again the strength of the defense. Dorsey can provide some push up front and fits well with the cover-2 scheme the Chiefs use, which relies on production from your tackles.

Projected starters would now be DE Turk McBride, DT Glenn Dorsey, DT Alphonso Boone, and DE Tamba Hali. Rotation guys include DT Tank Tyler, DT Ron Edwards, but still lacking as far as depth at DE. Team needs moving forward IMO would be:

1. OT

2. CB

3. WR

4. OG

5. DE

6. QB

That aint bad. Add a player like Harvey through a trade up, or Groves in the 2nd or Chris Ellis in the 3rd.

Ooops. Jacksonville trades up. Harvey is probably gone.

J

only way I think they get back up there now is to trade their 2nd rounder, which I'm not sure would be worth it anyways.

I imagine they now look at OT with pick 17, and probably corner with their 2nd rounder.

Chris Williams is the only one I would really want in that area of the 1st. Talib or Jenkins would be nice. Or hope that Cason falls to the 2nd.

J

#14 and only Clady gone. Loks like the Chiefs get a LT if they want one.

J

#14 and only Clady gone. Loks like the Chiefs get a LT if they want one.

J

unless albert and otah go right before them. Cherilus?

going to have to figure out who's playing where. Waters will stay at LG, and Niswanger is penciled in at C. McIntosh and Albert will start, with LT, RG, and RT being the questions marks. Chiefs would still like to draft one more O-Lineman to start with the 4 others mentioned. Competition remains from Will Svitek and Herb Taylor. Needs IMO are now:

1. CB

2. OG/ OT

3. WR

4. DE

5. QB

Dorsey and Albert? :pointstosky: What a day for KC, congrats.

If they can get a QB, they might be decent in a couple of years.

Dorsey and Albert? :pointstosky: What a day for KC, congrats.

dont be surprised if they try and make another move to land a corner.

wow, great draft so far !!! :pointstosky: albert and dorsey are 2 of my top4 overall players in this draft.

albert can be a great left tackle next to all-pro brian waters to help LJ have a stud left side.

dorsey will anchor the middle and provide potential warren sapp disruption versus teams running with tomlinson and mcfadden.

If they can get a QB, they might be decent in a couple of years.

at least addressing the O-Line will give us some evaluation of what we might actually have in Croyle if anything. The guy simply had no chance to succeed last year with minimal talent around him. We're improving the team, and if we need to make a move for a QB next year either via free agency or thed raft, we can do it then.

wow, great draft so far !!! :pointstosky: albert and dorsey are 2 of my top4 overall players in this draft.

albert can be a great left tackle next to all-pro brian waters to help LJ have a stud left side.

dorsey will anchor the middle and provide potential warren sapp disruption versus teams running with tomlinson and mcfadden.

and moving McIntosh to the right side improves that position as well. Need to draft one more guy to add some competition to the RG position.

as for the trade:

We Gave:

1st (17th)

3rd (66th)

5th

AND GOT

1st (15th Albert)

3rd (76th)

I'll update in teh original post...

original post updated...

people at chiefsplanet earlier in the week were worried the chiefs would take desean jackson in rd 2, and that pick seems to be falling in place for them :unsure:

brandon flowers, i like this draft

As it stands now, this is what our starters look like (at least what I think they would be):

LT Branden Albert

LG Bryan Waters

C Rudy Niswanger

RG Will Svitek

RT Damien McIntosh

With the day 2 picks, Chiefs would like to ideally land a Guard like Rachal or Eric Young to come in and start at RG.

QB Brodie Croyle

QB Tyler Thigpen

RB Larry Johnson

RB Kolby Smith

FB Chris Manderino

WR Dwayne Bowe

WR Devard Darling

WR Jeff Webb

TE Tony Gonzalez

TE Jason Dunn

Chiefs will look to find a WR to compliment Bowe and Darling, and will likely try and draft a QB I would imagine on day 2.

DE Turk McBride

DT Alphonso Boone

DT Glenn Dorsey

DE Tamba Hali

we have depth now at DT, but we don't have anything behind Hali and McBride. Chiefs will look to add at the DE position on day 2.

OLB Derrick Johnson

ILB Napoleon Harris

OLB Donnie Edwards

LB Demorrio Williams

As far as starters, these are the guys in '08, but the talent pool is pretty deep at the position so the Chiefs may look to find a guy or 2 to groom behind these vets.

CB Pat Surtain

CB Brandon Flowers

CB Tyrone Brackenridge

CB Dmitri Patterson

Chiefs might still try and improve at the position with another corner selection

FS Jarrad Page

SS Bernard Pollard

S Greg Wesley

S Jon McGraw

Chiefs would like to try and trade Wesley for a day 2 pick. Would then probably need to look at adding a safety prospect on day 2.

PK John Carney, Nick Novak, Billy Cundiff

They can't be happy with the prospects of this competition, but they didn't fare too well with the Medlock pick a year ago when they could have taken Crosby. Still could address the position and create more competition.

P Dustin Colquitt

KR B.J. Sams

"The Kansas City Chiefs are the star of this draft"

~steve young

"A+++ for kansas city"

~Mel kiper

"Herm edwards and Carl peterson have to be doing backflips"

~mel kiper

"Kansas city has got it all together"

~Boomer

:overhead: :mad: :cry: :dunno: :headbanger:

come on fockers, talk to me here. I feel like I'm talking to myself :overhead:

How bout this guy as an immediate starter?

I couldn't be more thrilled as a Chief fan. If we can get an Early Doucet, Carl Nicks, Chris Ellis trio in the 3rd, I'll be on cloud 9.

THATS a solid draft if it ended now...everything from this point on is gravy......

come on fockers, talk to me here. I feel like I'm talking to myself :cheers:

How bout this guy as an immediate starter?

that's cause you are... seriously chad, congrats. It seems like you'll finally have a decent team to root for.

Wow. This draft oughta be the example of how to turn around an old, struggling team quickly. Decent draft last year and easily the best draft of any organization so far this year. Props to KC. :thumbsdown:

What a lousy day for a party. :lol: At least I got to see them trade with Detroit. :overhead: It has been a great month to be a Kansas native. :D

Lord, Thank You. For your comfort, guidance and direction, we give thanks. :wub:

I am hard pressed to think of another first day that compared to this one, at least on the day of the draft. Every pick was at value or better, sometimes MUCH better, every pick goes to an area of need, and every pick should start immediately. What has to get you is that this happened within a very conservative, character oriented draft philosophy. The last two years have been solid, but this is outstanding by any current measure.

Now, they have a night to scout which were the sliders, with 3 picks in the next 20.

For the record, I would say that Dallas, Miami and Pittsburgh did very well. Considering the draft position and additional compensation still coming, Washington and Philly also did well.

J

Round 1, Pick 5 (5) - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Round 1, Pick 15 (15) (From Lions) - Branden Albert, OG, Virginia

Round 2, Pick 4 (35) - Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech

Round 3, Pick 10 (73) (From Broncos through Vikings)

Round 3, Pick 13 (76) (From Lions)

Round 3, Pick 19 (82) (From Vikings)

Round 4, Pick 6 (105)

Round 5, Pick 5 (140)

Round 6, Pick 4 (170)

Round 6, Pick 16 (182) (From Vikings)

Round 7, Pick 3 (210)

Round 7, Pick 32 (239) (From Giants)

Mike, I think you are missing a pick from the Chiefs, you have them with 9 but I got 10 from the NFL draft website:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-kc

Plus then 3 adjustments now need to be made. They say the Chiefs and Vikes swapped 6ths in the trade, so I am assuming here they traded their original picks, and not the picks they picked up from other teams...

Let's hope this draft is as deep as everybody is saying it is, with the Chiefs having 13 freakin picks. And lets hope the Chiefs hit on at least a couple of those :overhead:

Hell of a draft so far.

Chad...you must be awfully happy with DAY one. Three picks in round three...they should have an offensive line that LJ can run behind by the end of round three.

wth? The Charle pick I can understand, but a TE that's only started 7 games? Why not go with a guy like Doucet there?

Updating my earlier post...

LT Branden Albert

LG Bryan Waters

C Rudy Niswanger

RG Will Svitek

RT Damien McIntosh

I still don't think they are done addressing the O-Line. Albert, Svitek, and McIntosh positions up in the air but are the leading candidates aas far as starters up to this point. As a fan, I'd like to see at least one more pick to compete for that RG position.

QB Brodie Croyle

QB Tyler Thigpen

RB Larry Johnson

RB Kolby Smith

RB Jamaar Charles

FB Chris Manderino

WR Dwayne Bowe

WR Devard Darling

WR Jeff Webb

TE Tony Gonzalez

TE Brad Cottam

Still need another player at receiver. I guess they have said Dunn is gone? Which would explain the Cottam pick, as well as the fact Gonzo won't play forever. Charles fills the depth need at RB, as well as a QB to hold the clipboard.

DE Turk McBride

DT Alphonso Boone

DT Glenn Dorsey

DE Tamba Hali

we have depth now at DT, but we don't have anything behind Hali and McBride. Word around KC is that they've talked about moving Boone to DE, but I still think they have to address the position sometime today.

OLB Derrick Johnson

ILB Napoleon Harris

OLB Donnie Edwards

LB Demorrio Williams

As far as starters, these are the guys in '08, but the talent pool is pretty deep at the position so the Chiefs may look to find a guy or 2 to groom behind these vets.

CB Pat Surtain

CB Brandon Flowers

CB Tyrone Brackenridge

CB Dmitri Patterson

Chiefs might still try and improve at the position with another corner selection

FS Jarrad Page

SS Bernard Pollard

S Greg Wesley

S Jon McGraw

S DaJuan Morgan

DaJuan Morgan makes Wesley expendable, if they can move him. Also nice to give Pollard and Page some competition.

PK John Carney, Nick Novak, Billy Cundiff

They can't be happy with the prospects of this competition, but they didn't fare too well with the Medlock pick a year ago when they could have taken Crosby. Still could address the position and create more competition.

P Dustin Colquitt

KR B.J. Sams

Franklin addresses a need, I'm comfortlabe moving forward with Bowe, Darling, Webb and Franklin.

Day 1 was awesome, Day 2 leaves something to be desired. To have a draft so full of O-linemen and after 3 rounds to only have 1 lineman, C'mon!! I'm okay with a TE LATER in the draft. Gonzo isn't lasting forever, so we needed someone else, but why not someone who isn't always injured. Safety just wasn't a need position IMO. Charles was a good pick I think, but I was hoping to get King and Doucet (Sp?), Surtain is old and we need another starting WR, not Darling! I just think they really blew a great chance to stock up on O-linemen, corners and a stud WR.

Franklin addresses a need, I'm comfortlabe moving forward with Bowe, Darling, Webb and Franklin.

I'm not. That's a young and inexperienced WR corps. One of those last three had better prove something this year.

No disrespect, but a chimp could have come away with a good draft with the picks the Chiefs had. That said, they did some nice manuevering and did come away with solid picks at each spot.

I'm not. That's a young and inexperienced WR corps. One of those last three had better prove something this year.
yeah I would have rather had Doucet. But I think the expectation was that Bowe and Drling would start, with Webb as the #3 with a rook to come in and push those guys. We'll see what happens.

No disrespect, but a chimp could have come away with a good draft with the picks the Chiefs had. That said, they did some nice manuevering and did come away with solid picks at each spot.

you dont know the chiefs very well, do you?

you dont know the chiefs very well, do you?

He should check out the Atlanta draft. I would have preferred their position Friday.

Love the Charles pick. Like the Cottam pick. Love the Morgan pick. I see some trades coming. Carolina still needs a starting safety. The Chiefs can afford to let a talent like Page or Pollard go for a pick next year, unless they plan to shift a CB. Carr might be a sleeper. It looks like they plan to bring in some late round a free agent OL.

Is Larry Johnson in his last season in KC? The contract is a beast, but is not UNtradeable. The Vikings took on more for Jared Allen. Kolby Smith and Jamaal Charles make the classic duo, so the Chiefs are prepared if they need to cut him loose.

J

Day 1 was awesome, Day 2 leaves something to be desired. To have a draft so full of O-linemen and after 3 rounds to only have 1 lineman, C'mon!! I'm okay with a TE LATER in the draft. Gonzo isn't lasting forever, so we needed someone else, but why not someone who isn't always injured. Safety just wasn't a need position IMO. Charles was a good pick I think, but I was hoping to get King and Doucet (Sp?), Surtain is old and we need another starting WR, not Darling! I just think they really blew a great chance to stock up on O-linemen, corners and a stud WR.

I am with you on this, you can find a FA #2WR & backup RBs. Good O-limemen are not so easy. Wish they would load up on O-line and see who make it in the NFL