Sign in to follow this  
toddruss

Excel 97 for Vista crashes

Let me start by saying I've been using CC since 2003 and love it! In fact, in all those years this is the first problem that I recall. Anyway, I downloaded the Excel 97 version for Windows Vista. I open the file no problem, but when I save it and reopen I get the error: "EXCEL.EXE has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I've redownloaded the file several times and have tried updates, importing my last years file, and doing absolutely nothing other than saving the file. Everything works fine until I close the file and try to reopen. Please advise. Thanks for your support and for a great product!

Hey Todd. Did you have Vista last year, or is this the first year with it? I had someone else with the Vista/Excel 97 combo experiencing similar issues. I'm not sure what the solution was. I think he either upgraded Excel to 2002 or got on another machine with XP. The time span between Vista and Excel 97 is pretty long - 10-11 years - and there is something about those programs that causes them to not like each other. Do the errors only happen when saving the file? Does it happen any other time? Do the macros appear to work as they should?

Hey Todd. Did you have Vista last year, or is this the first year with it? I had someone else with the Vista/Excel 97 combo experiencing similar issues. I'm not sure what the solution was. I think he either upgraded Excel to 2002 or got on another machine with XP. The time span between Vista and Excel 97 is pretty long - 10-11 years - and there is something about those programs that causes them to not like each other. Do the errors only happen when saving the file? Does it happen any other time? Do the macros appear to work as they should?

I did not have Vista last year. I don't have Excel 2002 and this is my only machine. Excel seems to work fine when using it for other purposes. In fact, everything works great the first time CC is opened and it saves just fine. But the next time I open the file is when the crash occurs. Please help! Thanks again, Todd

Hey Todd. Can you try a couple things and we'll see if we can get to the source of the problem, if its something in the Compiler and Buddy specifically?

First, open the Compiler but do not enable macros. Browse around different tabs. Edit some cells. Anything except hit the macro buttons (because they won't work). Try saving, closing, opening again (disable macros). Does that all work?

If that went well, then try downloading the international version of the Compiler and Buddy. You'll see the link on the download page. This is exactly the same but strips out the top menus. I wonder if that is causing the problem in Excel 97. Open this version, enable macros, do some different things including compile cheatsheets. Save, close, open again. Any issues?

Hey Todd. Can you try a couple things and we'll see if we can get to the source of the problem, if its something in the Compiler and Buddy specifically?

First, open the Compiler but do not enable macros. Browse around different tabs. Edit some cells. Anything except hit the macro buttons (because they won't work). Try saving, closing, opening again (disable macros). Does that all work?

If that went well, then try downloading the international version of the Compiler and Buddy. You'll see the link on the download page. This is exactly the same but strips out the top menus. I wonder if that is causing the problem in Excel 97. Open this version, enable macros, do some different things including compile cheatsheets. Save, close, open again. Any issues?

I cannot open it without enabling the macros. It states that this is a Excel 4.0 version and this is not an option. I tried downloading both international version, but I get the exact same error as the regular version. It opened fine. I could do anything I wanted and had no problem saving. But when I tried to reopen it I got the same error as before.

Todd, I was beginning to think we lost you. When you open it and hit save, instead try Save As... What are your options there in terms of file format? Is the only option as an Excel 4.0 file, or is there one Excel Workbook? I would think Excel Workbook (likely the top one) is the one we want.

Well, I read some posting on some other web sites stating that the macros in Excel 97 would not be compatible with Vista. After lots of attempts to make it work, I'm now a believer. I broke down and have upgraded to 2007. Hey, I love this spreadsheet, so it's all good!!!! Thanks for your help. I'm now up-and-running, however I have no suggestions for users of Vista/Excel 97 other than to upgrade.

Excellent information Todd. Thank you very much! And certainly I am glad you're still with us :banana:

Let me start by saying I've been using CC since 2003 and love it! In fact, in all those years this is the first problem that I recall. Anyway, I downloaded the Excel 97 version for Windows Vista. I open the file no problem, but when I save it and reopen I get the error: "EXCEL.EXE has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I've redownloaded the file several times and have tried updates, importing my last years file, and doing absolutely nothing other than saving the file. Everything works fine until I close the file and try to reopen. Please advise. Thanks for your support and for a great product!

Sometimes I use MS Excel for work. Several weeks ago I added new data to my working excel sheet. Today I opened it and was astonished. My info was empty. I decided to use the Google. After some hours I came across an one tool, which helped me easy and fast, to my mind it can help in this situation too - Excel repair.