Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Interesting interview with Jerrah Jones

Not a Cowboys fan, but stumbled across this interview.

Jerry Jones interview

Watching it, it's pretty clear to me that Jerry is more concerned about making money and the image of the Cowboys than he is about actually winning. He's hanging his hat on their 13 Probowlers, all of which failed to make the playoffs. Nevermind that the probowl is nothing more than a popularity contest and rarely ever selects the best player at a given position, only the best known. Would be interested to hear what Cowboy fans think of this...

Didn't watch the interview, but a number of Cowboys fans I know already feel that he is more interested in publicity than building a winner.

Didn't watch the interview, but a number of Cowboys fans I know already feel that he is more interested in publicity than building a winner.

Yeah, I think it's the consensus, however, it was interesting to hear him speak about it in the interview. I also thought it was interesting to hear him compared to Rooney, Kraft and other owners and how those guys (winners I might add) are more hands off and have GM's running the show and how that "won't work for my personality" Jerry said. Guy has even more ego than I imagined.

Make no mistake - Jerry Jones is motherfocking TERRIFIED right now.

His Billion Dollar landmark to his ego is hundreds of millions over budget - that he had to make up for himself. The economy is tanking - and he's trying (I can't believe it even though I read it) to get people to buy get this - $100,000 PSL's!!! Most teams charge low thousands. A few? Maybe 10 grand tops for the very best seats. Jerry? Thinks he can get people to buy $100,000 PSL's. - PLUS record ticket prices. In this economy.

- Not a good time to be JJ right now. There's a reason why he pulled such a draconian move as to not allow ANYBODY but him to speak to the press. Think about that. Has there EVER been a coach who was barred from speaking to the press about his own team? Wow. Just wow. Jerry is making Davis looks focking sane in comparison.

Wow. Just wow. Jerry is making Davis looks focking sane in comparison.

Let's not go overboard here.

His Billion Dollar landmark to his ego is hundreds of millions over budget - that he had to make up for himself. The economy is tanking - and he's trying (I can't believe it even though I read it) to get people to buy get this - $100,000 PSL's!!! Most teams charge low thousands. A few? Maybe 10 grand tops for the very best seats. Jerry? Thinks he can get people to buy $100,000 PSL's. - PLUS record ticket prices. In this economy.

- Not a good time to be JJ right now. There's a reason why he pulled such a draconian move as to not allow ANYBODY but him to speak to the press. Think about that. Has there EVER been a coach who was barred from speaking to the press about his own team? Wow. Just wow. Jerry is making Davis looks focking sane in comparison.

The no talking by the coaches, even Parcells, has been a mainstay around draftime for Big D. This is nothing new. They just started a little early with the no-talking thing this year.

He is one of the greatest business men in the NFL. And, I guess, he bought the team to make money. Good for him. But his Texas-sized ego gets in the way of the Cowboys success. If he doesn't step away and let the people that know football start making the football decisions it's going to be a looooooong haul for us Cowboy fans.

He is one of the greatest business men in the NFL. And, I guess, he bought the team to make money. Good for him. But his Texas-sized ego gets in the way of the Cowboys success. If he doesn't step away and let the people that know football start making the football decisions it's going to be a looooooong haul for us Cowboy fans.

13 years and counting?

I know that all of the other stuff he gets into makes money for the Cowboys, stadium, naming, concessions, etc...but, and maybe I'm over simplifying this, doesn't winning championships make you more money? There are lots of Cowboys fans, and those fans like to wear the Cowboys colors. And winning makes people go out and show their pride. He's so caught up in the "we've got all the talent, we've got 13 pro bowlers on the roster" part of things...you know how many the Steelers had? Three. Superbowl winner with a historically good defense had 3 freaking probowlers...guy doesn't get it...it's not all about the individuals, it's about the team.

MGM is about to go BK11 thanks to the monstrocity they are building in Vegas. Went from a cash position of plus $800 million to almost using up a $4.5 billion line of credit.

The best owners in sports are the ones who stay out of the way, who hire competent management and who lets them do their jobs.

Jerrah's great with sponsors and money and such, and GOT LUCKY with Jimmie Johnson putting the Cowboys back on the map, but let's be clear: Dallas, since the departure of JJ (you can't count the year after when they won the SB), has not exactly been a stellar organization.

The "brand" was there before Jerrah bought the team, he did real well with sponsors and such, and has brought that "brand" to be even more well-known today.

But clearly, CLEARLY, the guy is his own worst enemy.

3 super bowls, you can't take that away.

He mortgaged himself to buy the Cowboys.

He fired 2 icons in Dallas(Landry, Schramm), and at the time he was killed for this.

Took a big chance on Jimmy Johnson, and it paid off.

Saying that, he continues to take chances.

He's a great owner, average GM, and a godsend to the media.

I'm a Cowboys fan, and would not want another owner in the NFL.

Saying that, his GM skills are a bit lacking in certain areas. I don't care how he spends his money, but the bidding against himself is silly.

He keeps it exciting, and does care about winning.

He loves his personalities, and wants to be surrounded by talent.

Because he wears so many hats, his roles in the organization tend to influence him.

A dedicated GM would focus on different things besides the marketing of the team, selling PSL, and branding.

The drafting has gotten much better around here, so he learned something from Parcells. Keep it going.

The no talking by the coaches, even Parcells, has been a mainstay around draftime for Big D. This is nothing new. They just started a little early with the no-talking thing this year.

No it hasn't.

No it hasn't.

That's straight from one of the Cowboys websites. I think I'll believe them rather than wiffle; no offense.

That's straight from one of the Cowboys websites. I think I'll believe them rather than wiffle; no offense.

Well, either they or you got it wrong:

Stopping an assistant coach from talking was made popular by the likes of former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells in his previous stops. It’s been duplicated since Bill Belichick, a Parcells’ protégé, had success with the New England Patriots and his assistants landed head coaching jobs elsewhere. The Cowboys had similar policies when Parcells was the coach from 2003 through 2006.

But the practice was reversed when Phillips was hired in early 2007.

Other than the four-year Parcells’ era, this move is a first under Jones. He has long been considered one of the most media-friendly, savvy and accessible owners in professional

Either that or you don't know what the fock "mainstay" means. It was a one time gig for a perid with Parcells. He didn't have it before, didn't have it after.

Well, either they or you got it wrong:

Either that or you don't know what the fock "mainstay" means. It was a one time gig for a perid with Parcells. He didn't have it before, didn't have it after.

I read it somewhere else since whatever I read didn't mention it was reversed when Phillips first took over. You've found a lot of new details. Thanks for the info.

He's so caught up in the "we've got all the talent, we've got 13 pro bowlers on the roster" part of things...you know how many the Steelers had? Three. Superbowl winner with a historically good defense had 3 freaking probowlers...guy doesn't get it...it's not all about the individuals, it's about the team.

Well said.

:pointstosky:

Well said.

:overhead:

The Pro Bowlers excitement seem to be the perception.

The Owner/Salesmen wants attention for his team.

The Owner/GM wants wins for his team.

Lots of "internal" roles facing conflict.

I believe he is the only Owner/GM in the entire league. It's not a normal situation, but the Cowboys are a very well run organization. The only problem I see on the football side...the business side drives it more than any other team in the league.

Jerry knows the ultimate money maker is winning.

He stroked his ego with T.O. and Pac, now we can all just enjoy the new stadium without any distractions from T.O..

He stroked his ego with T.O. and Pac, now we can all just enjoy the new stadium without any distractions from T.O..

You may enjoy it, but he's got to pay for it. - At least a big chunk of it - including last I heard about half a billion in overruns. Honest to God, I don't know anybody who could afford a $100,000 PSL. - That's ridiculous! And that doesn't even count the damn tickets! In this economy? I really wonder if this stadium will be Jerry's demise.

The best owners in sports are the ones who stay out of the way, who hire competent management and who lets them do their jobs.

Whatever. :thumbsdown:

- Mike Brown