Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Early Doucet

Guy to keep an eye on as a late round flyer.

Link

Doucet benefits from Boldin's absence

21 commentsby Bob McManaman - May. 21, 2009 05:26 PM

The Arizona Republic

Maybe Anquan Boldin's absence this week from voluntary workouts was a good thing for the Cardinals.

In fact, maybe it was a great thing.

With Boldin skipping all three days of workouts, likely because he's still fuming about his contract, the door was opened for second-year receiver Early Doucet to get more reps in practices.

Just as important, it allowed Doucet to re-establish a rhythm with quarterback Kurt Warner.

"I think it definitely helps," Doucet said of Boldin's absence. "As a young player trying to make a name for yourself, you want to take advantage of those opportunities. It's all part of the game, too, because you never know when somebody is going to go down. You've got to be ready to step up whenever that time may be."

For the moment, that time is now.

If the situation with Boldin gets murkier before training camp in late July, the Cardinals and Doucet will be better off because of the progress the wideout from Louisiana State appears to be making.

In fact, he has shown so much improvement, some coaches and players are suggesting he can have the type of breakout season as teammate Steve Breaston did last year.

As a rookie in 2007, Breaston caught eight passes for 92 yards and no touchdowns. In 2008, he had 77 receptions for 1,006 yards and three touchdowns and played a major role in helping the Cardinals reach Super Bowl XLIII.

"He's got the talent to do a lot of great things for us," Breaston said of Doucet, who had 14 catches for 90 yards and no touchdowns last season.

Doucet battled hamstring and groin injuries much of his rookie season and missed nine regular-season games.

He is healthy now, and although Larry Fitzgerald stood out above the rest in workouts the past three days, Doucet also turned some heads. He made a handful of tough catches Thursday and showed the same finishing power Fitzgerald does after every catch.

Mike Miller, the Cardinals' passing-game coordinator, has been impressed with Doucet's learning ability and work ethic. He sees a different player than he did six months ago and encourages Doucet to follow Fitzgerald's lead.

"Having Larry around is a great thing as far as the staff goes, because we don't have to police a lot of these guys," Miller said. "They can see it for themselves just by how hard Larry pushes himself and how he finishes every play in practice."

Miller often uses a laser pointer in film sessions with players, and usually it is Fitzgerald at the end of the red dot.

"I'll say, 'This is not an accident, guys,' " Miller said. "Larry gets it. He understands how valuable practice is, how important it is to run after the catch and to attack the football. And it's carrying over."

Doucet gets it, too, and has spent time talking with Fitzgerald.

"I'm going to be ready for when my time comes," he said. "Coming from a school like LSU, we always set the bar high, and I'm looking forward to coming in this year and increasing my role, no question.

"But I'm going to take it one day at a time, and I'm not trying to push or press anything. I'm just going to keep doing the little things I have to do that got me to this level and let everything fall into place."

He's got talent, but he's going to need an injury to see much playing time. Boldin does miss a few games a year, but Breaston looked capable of taking over in those cases, and Doucet still needs to get by Urban. I think he could have more value in a dynasty league for next year if Boldin eventually gets moved out of Arizona.

But it also depends on how long Warner keeps playing. I don't expect the same kind of passing numbers with Leinart in there.

if boldin gets moved and there is an injury to breaston OR urban than this kid could have some real value... but at 5th on the depth chart even in pass happy arizona, the pick is better used elsewhere no matter how late.

if boldin gets moved and there is an injury to breaston OR urban than this kid could have some real value... but at 5th on the depth chart even in pass happy arizona, the pick is better used elsewhere no matter how late.

I'm just saying to monitor the situation. He has more physical talent than Breaston or Urban, but was hurt most of last year. As a local and having seen/heard about him more, I am also a little afraid that he had a hard time learning the playbook. Not calling him "kutulu" stupid or anything. Anyway, just providing a heads up. :nono:

I'm just saying to monitor the situation. He has more physical talent than Breaston or Urban, but was hurt most of last year. As a local and having seen/heard about him more, I am also a little afraid that he had a hard time learning the playbook. Not calling him "kutulu" stupid or anything. Anyway, just providing a heads up. :(

:banana:

I don't think he will have much of an impact. He is buried in the depth chart. As a rookie, I don't think he is better than the other WR's.