Sign in to follow this  
Carl Eller's Dead Liver

My 3 WR sleepers this year

1) Sydney Rice - Minnesota Vikings. I was loving this guy out of South Carolina and he did have a promising rookie year, but was hampered by injuries last year. He has size (6'4), good speed, great leaping ability (40 inches), and sticky hands. Watch out for Sydney this year!!

2) Laurant Robinson - St. Louis Rams. Another big, speedy WR who was bit by the injury but last year. Landing in St. Louis with very little competition, I see him starting and putting up better numbers than Avery. Avery was a splash in the pan. Robinson has the skills to be special.

3) Demetrius Williams - Baltimore Ravens. Again a big, fast WR who was injured last year. Look for him to become one of Flacco's favorite targets in 2009.

These are my sleepers. Are they forsure things? No, that is why I am calling them sleepers. Go ahead and rip away, but one of these guys will be worth at least a fantasy #3 WR starting spot sometime this year and you can get them for next to nothing right now.

I'll add one.

Adrian Arrington - N.O. Saints. He's 6'3" 203lbs. He has a great vertical, speed and moves to make yards after the catch. LAst year in training camp Colston was asked about him and he said that Arrington was ahead of where he was at the same time his rookie year. He is also a smart football player. The coach likes him and says he expects him to make an impact. Patten is gone, Meachem seems to have trouble grasping the offense (he's not too bright). He got injured in camp last year and missed the season. He might be burried on the depth chart right now, but I don;t think he will stay that way and the Saints are a high power offense.

1) Sydney Rice - Minnesota Vikings. I was loving this guy out of South Carolina and he did have a promising rookie year, but was hampered by injuries last year. He has size (6'4), good speed, great leaping ability (40 inches), and sticky hands. Watch out for Sydney this year!!

2) Laurant Robinson - St. Louis Rams. Another big, speedy WR who was bit by the injury but last year. Landing in St. Louis with very little competition, I see him starting and putting up better numbers than Avery. Avery was a splash in the pan. Robinson has the skills to be special.

3) Demetrius Williams - Baltimore Ravens. Again a big, fast WR who was injured last year. Look for him to become one of Flacco's favorite targets in 2009.

These are my sleepers. Are they forsure things? No, that is why I am calling them sleepers. Go ahead and rip away, but one of these guys will be worth at least a fantasy #3 WR starting spot sometime this year and you can get them for next to nothing right now.

Interesting that all three of these guys have been heavily hyped at one time yet have performed well below expectations. Legit sleepers or still the product of the hype machine?

I liked Rice... but the addition of Berrian last year and the drafting of Harvin... not to mention "All Day" and a shaky QB... makes me think Rice won't have the opportunity to break out big.

Robinson get his chance now... time to show up or shut up. I might take a flyer on him or possibly Williams. I think Clayton may be the more dependable option but Flacco has energized the Ravens O.

1. David Clowney-Jets.....24 years old. Hide and watch.

2. Matt Jones-?.....26 years old. I know, I know, everybody is down on him, and he has underperformed thusfar in his career to say the least, but he has the size, speed and tools to be an outstanding WR3 in the right system.

3. Nate Burleson-Seattle.....27 years old. Housh in the middle leaves Burly free down the field for Hasselbeck if his knee is good to go.

4. Chris Henry-Cincy....26 years old. Has the tools and the QB. Coles and Ocho are not going deep, Henry is. Now or never.

I would be content to have any of these homies as my WR3. All young with a good QB (assuming Sanchez pans out), and a lot of upside.

If Donald Driver continues to be a weenie about money, then the door opens up for James Jones and/or Jordy Nelson.

If Donald Driver continues to be a weenie about money, then the door opens up for James Jones and/or Jordy Nelson.

Agreed. Whoever becomes the winner of the #2 spot in GB (likley in 2010, though) will be worth a serious look.

clowney is getting alot of hype based on his 08 preseason.

he will still have to beat out stuckey and smith for playing time.

2. Matt Jones-?.....26 years old. I know, I know, everybody is down on him, and he has underperformed thusfar in his career to say the least, but he has the size, speed and tools to be an outstanding WR3 in the right system.

3. Nate Burleson-Seattle.....27 years old. Housh in the middle leaves Burly free down the field for Hasselbeck if his knee is good to go.

4. Chris Henry-Cincy....26 years old. Has the tools and the QB. Coles and Ocho are not going deep, Henry is. Now or never.

I would be content to have any of these homies as my WR3. All young with a good QB (assuming Sanchez pans out), and a lot of upside.

I like this list much better... especially burleson...

I will say that Ronald Curry in detroit could surprise. With all the attention given to CJ and the run game Curry could skate by with 80 yards a game and the occasional touchdown.

With all the attention given to CJ and the run game Curry could skate by with 80 yards a game and the occasional touchdown.

1280 yards is asking a lot for a guy who's been in the league 8 years and has never hit 750. I'm not sure he'll beat out Bryant Johnson for the #2. I guess I should toss one out if I'm going to criticize, though. Mark Clayton seems to be getting very little love. I think he might put up career highs in Flacco's second year.

Driver knows this will likely be his last year in Green Bay as he just doesn't have the skills to compete with the new WRs they've brought in recently. He also knows he's a fan-favorite, so he'll milk that cookie during this dispute. Unfortunately IMO he's a WR3 at best right now, getting almost $6 mil this season, so the Pack won't (or at least shouldn't) give him more money. Bottom line is that this could get uglier than many realize.

I'm not downplaying Robinson but how is Avery a "flash in the pan" when he was a second round pick and first WR taken in the draft while Robinson is "special" when he was a later round draft pick who was given away for practically nothing after two seasons (swapping 7th round picks) by the team that drafted him?

Driver knows this will likely be his last year in Green Bay as he just doesn't have the skills to compete with the new WRs they've brought in recently. He also knows he's a fan-favorite, so he'll milk that cookie during this dispute. Unfortunately IMO he's a WR3 at best right now, getting almost $6 mil this season, so the Pack won't (or at least shouldn't) give him more money. Bottom line is that this could get uglier than many realize.

I think he still has the skills to compete for another year or two to at least remain in their top 3.

Right now he is a WR2 I would never say a 3 at best. He still has great hands...gets open...and has the trust of his QB.

I think he could be a nice slot guy next year if its his last...but Im sure he does want another pay day.

I don't see Ted Thompson giving in to him though.

Steve Breaston in AZ. If Boldin ends up leaving, his freakin gold. If not, he's a damned good prospect who lit it up when Boldin was out.

I'm not downplaying Robinson but how is Avery a "flash in the pan" when he was a second round pick and first WR taken in the draft while Robinson is "special" when he was a later round draft pick who was given away for practically nothing after two seasons (swapping 7th round picks) by the team that drafted him?

Because nearly 40% of Avery's production last year came in just 2 games. Subtract those two games, which came relatively early by the way, and he would 418 yards in his other 14 games combined. Yes he was a rookie, but I am not counting on him being a #1 WR for any NFL team....which makes him no better than a bye week fill in or injury play in fantasy football. He doesn't have the typical body, nor freakish atheletic ability to be a #1. Sorry....you heard it here 1st. SPLASH IN THE PAN!!

Because nearly 40% of Avery's production last year came in just 2 games. Subtract those two games, which came relatively early by the way, and he would 418 yards in his other 14 games combined. Yes he was a rookie, but I am not counting on him being a #1 WR for any NFL team....which makes him no better than a bye week fill in or injury play in fantasy football. He doesn't have the typical body, nor freakish atheletic ability to be a #1. Sorry....you heard it here 1st. SPLASH IN THE PAN!!

Please check the "List your Cliche" thread

And apparently, Driver has been making a scene with the locals about the situation. Some fan-fest thing or something. He needs to work the crowd carefully cuz if he pushes too hard, they'll just turn on him and give support to moving him out.

Since I own both James Jones and Jordy Nelson in my dynasty, I take that back... Driver, go make a stink! :music_guitarred:

Please check the "List your Cliche" thread

When it comes to ability and potential, yeah, you can't ignore the capability a WR shows in just two games making it apparent that he can play and play well.

However, in FF, cliche or not, statistical outliers are valid and relevant. If two players score you 200 points a season with one doing 150 points in four games and the other doing it pretty evenly throughout the season... who would you want on your FF team?

I'm gonna add Miles Austin of Dallas.. Big guy, good hands and as tough as they come... Made TO expendable.. lol

This guy is gonna turn heads.. What a name for a guy in Texas, Austin!

Agreed. Whoever becomes the winner of the #2 spot in GB (likley in 2010, though) will be worth a serious look.

When it comes to ability and potential, yeah, you can't ignore the capability a WR shows in just two games making it apparent that he can play and play well.

However, in FF, cliche or not, statistical outliers are valid and relevant. If two players score you 200 points a season with one doing 150 points in four games and the other doing it pretty evenly throughout the season... who would you want on your FF team?

I think everyone agrees with this but Laurent Robinson's rookie stats are very similar to Avery's without the big game. I think this is where the confusion is coming from. You can't build up Robinson by knocking Avery.

418 yards in 14 games (13 since he missed a game) would actually be a pretty good rookie season for a WR in its own right, and you seem to be downplaying that while also ignoring his other two big games. His two big games came in Week 6 and Week 9 (not that early) and he finished the season with 10 catches for 96 yards and a TD in his last two games (he missed week 16).

Avery has tremendous speed and great hands - he was the first WR drafted in 2008 so its not like he came from nowhere or wasn't considered a good prospect. Does Laurent Robinson have freakish athletic ability? Because it would be really stange is a smart GM like Thomas Dimitroff would basically give him away for nothing if he did. I'm not saying that Robinson isn't a talent or a good sleeper but not sure why you need to dismiss Avery in order to build up Robinson. Weren't Holt and Bruce both able to be successful in St. Louis? Avery is actually a very similar player in stature and game to Holt (although he's a ways off in talent and epxerience).

One thing you're right about is I did hear "SPLASH IN THE PAN" here first.

ItsatipthatFLASH...

418 yards in 14 games (13 since he missed a game) would actually be a pretty good rookie season for a WR in its own right, and you seem to be downplaying that while also ignoring his other two big games. His two big games came in Week 6 and Week 9 (not that early) and he finished the season with 10 catches for 96 yards and a TD in his last two games (he missed week 16).

Avery has tremendous speed and great hands - he was the first WR drafted in 2008 so its not like he came from nowhere or wasn't considered a good prospect. Does Laurent Robinson have freakish athletic ability? Because it would be really stange is a smart GM like Thomas Dimitroff would basically give him away for nothing if he did. I'm not saying that Robinson isn't a talent or a good sleeper but not sure why you need to dismiss Avery in order to build up Robinson. Weren't Holt and Bruce both able to be successful in St. Louis? Avery is actually a very similar player in stature and game to Holt (although he's a ways off in talent and epxerience).

ItsatipthatFLASH...

Very concise, respectable ownage right here.

I think everyone agrees with this but Laurent Robinson's rookie stats are very similar to Avery's without the big game. I think this is where the confusion is coming from. You can't build up Robinson by knocking Avery.

:shocking:

1280 yards is asking a lot for a guy who's been in the league 8 years and has never hit 750. I'm not sure he'll beat out Bryant Johnson for the #2. I guess I should toss one out if I'm going to criticize, though. Mark Clayton seems to be getting very little love. I think he might put up career highs in Flacco's second year.

mike furrey did it... and curry has been electric when healthy...

Static electricity is a TYPE of electricity, I suppose...

No he did not!

Unless you are counting the XFL and AFL mike Furrey did it in his 4 year and only gained 1086 yards in the pass happy offense of Mike Martz. Look what happened after Martz left.

ItsatipthatFLASH...

Big deal if I am wrong about the expression....I could care less. What I am right about is Avery is only going to be worth a bye week fill in this year and a #3 WR starting spot at some point in his career. He is well overrated at this point in the fantasy world. That Sir, I am right about. 418 yards in 14 games is piss poor. Bobby Wade gets you 41.8 points in 14 games. Geez.

Bobby Wade gets you 418 points in 14 games. Geez.

DEAL!

yeah, but for every player Who did what furrey did there were probably 20 or more who didnt.

Steve Breaston in AZ. If Boldin ends up leaving, his freakin gold. If not, he's a damned good prospect who lit it up when Boldin was out.

I'm gonna add Miles Austin of Dallas.. Big guy, good hands and as tough as they come... Made TO expendable.. lol

These are my 3. Especially high on Miles Austin. I'm following the battle between him and Crayton very close.

My deep sleeper is Josh Morgan (SF).

My sleeper WRs:

- Jeremy Maclin

- Miles Austin

- Earl Bennett

- David Clowney

- Kenny Britt

- Percy Harvin

- Deion Branch

- Nate Burleson

These are excellent sleepers ...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

Hopefully he learns to stay healthy as he's had a fair amount of injuries during his career

Avery - in clutch FF time.

Week 12: 1 reception, 12 yards

Week 13: 0 recptions, 0 yards - yes he did play this game

Week 14: 2 recpetions, 18 yards - week 1 of fantasy playoffs

Gag me with a spoon. NO THANK YOU! Avery is way too inconsistant for my liking....yes he was a rookie, but you are so overrating him.

IgetabigwoodyforAvery...

I don't consider Steve Breaston a sleeper....he had over 1000 yards last year. Already own him in my dynasty league and he is expected to put up solid numbers even if Boldin is not moved.

Every WR named in this thread is rostered in my (and most) dynasty leagues.

I'm with you on this one. Austin has all of the physical tools to be a beast in the NFL.