Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

**Round Seven/Round Eight Draft Commentary**

The first three, and perhaps even four, rounds tend to run along a "script", but we all know that you win your league in the middle rounds, and I think we are noting the disparity in our individual assessment of players as well.

I agree with some of them, disagree on others. I do enjoy watching these picks play out against my own perspective and lists, its definitely revealing.

The first three, and perhaps even four, rounds tend to run along a "script", but we all know that you win your league in the middle rounds, and I think we are noting the disparity in our individual assessment of players as well.

I agree with some of them, disagree on others. I do enjoy watching these picks play out against my own perspective and lists, its definitely revealing.

I really think V4E, WW, and JScott have a copy of my cheatsheet. They have to. It's unpossible that they don't. :thumbsdown:

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier this morning, RLLD. Everything up until now has been pretty beige, but from here on out is where all of the differences in player values and drafting strategies come to the surface. I came in second place last season and the biggest reason for it was my selection of Chris Johnson in the 8th, or 9th round. Without him, I probably would have ended up in the bottom half of the league.

ICEMAN

I really think V4E, WW, and JScott have a copy of my cheatsheet. They have to. It's unpossible that they don't. :thumbsdown:

The posters in this mock have been doing this mock for years, so in part it is due to both our familiarity with each other but also experience. This is the "premier" mock IMHO.

If you find that your list is on target with the people mocking here, I think you likely have a very good list. :rolleyes:

The posters in this mock have been doing this mock for years, so in part it is due to both our familiarity with each other but also experience. This is the "premier" mock IMHO.

If you find that your list is on target with the people mocking here, I think you likely have a very good list. :thumbsdown:

now pick and leave my guy alone!

i agree with rlld.......nothing slips by anyone here.......i kinda went away from strategy a little with the romo selection and may end up paying for it by not grabbing another rb there at 5.12......however i like fumble ( who took palmer and roeth like i did in the jetdoc mock lol) draft for value and after palmer i see a huge drop in the qbs...not sure palmer would have made it to me at 7.12

i don't think the taylor pick was too early...he was the 1st back taken from the team who hadn't had one drafted yet and the pats rushed out quickly to sign him after he was cut.....he looked pretty good the last two years and even at 33 may be able to thrive in the patriots' system....especially at the goal line..

now pick and leave my guy alone!

Says the guys who's disappeared ;)

I called Remote, no answer so he's probably busy

No disrespect Dan but IMO you could have picked Fred Taylor many rounds later. ;)

Honestly, I really wasn't sure on this one. This is my first mock I've done, and the first I've seen with quality drafters, and speculation has run all over the place on him. I like him, and think that there is a reason that Belichick wanted to bring him in. I don't mind the "round value", but I really didn't know where to place him in other people's books. Oh, well . . . I can adjust.

Honestly, I really wasn't sure on this one. This is my first mock I've done, and the first I've seen with quality drafters, and speculation has run all over the place on him. I like him, and think that there is a reason that Belichick wanted to bring him in. I don't mind the "round value", but I really didn't know where to place him in other people's books. Oh, well . . . I can adjust.

i like taylor this year because BB likes to use his vets and _______ just isn't a BB guy.

however like someone said, I usually grab him in the 11th+ in mocks i do. (but again this is the best group of mockers I have been a part of)

love what the Texans are doing, and I love the way Shaub can carry on well even if AJ goes down, and that is due to this guy on the other side. He is a #2 Wr in Houston, but he is in a stout offense and the pressure is really off of him thanks to AJ. Walter will have to be my #3 Wr. I also feel there are some great LATE round guys who can out produce him but don't need to be selected yet. With Walter, I get a nice chunk of a good passing offense, and the possibility that his role could increase if AJ gets dinged.

love what the Texans are doing, and I love the way Shaub can carry on well even if AJ goes down, and that is due to this guy on the other side. He is a #2 Wr in Houston, but he is in a stout offense and the pressure is really off of him thanks to AJ. Walter will have to be my #3 Wr. I also feel there are some great LATE round guys who can out produce him but don't need to be selected yet. With Walter, I get a nice chunk of a good passing offense, and the possibility that his role could increase if AJ gets dinged.

Aces on the Walter selection. Very nice, solid addition.

I'm running out of Receiver choices. Walters, Wayne, and Welker. Funny, it seems I might have missplaced a page or two. (like A-V) :dunno:

i like that trio... 2nd in the league :pointstosky:

going to grab lunch. not going to leave a list. will be back in 20-30

I like the Hixon pick, FWIW he wouldn't have made it back to you.

I like that player ICE. I have him above Walter on my list, i just felt I could get Hixson in the 10th or 11th. He has a current ADP of 11.03. He is their #1 , in my estimation, and will do the bulk of the td work. The other starter there is more of a chain mover. I have to admit that he almost left the building at my pick. He will do you well.

I considered Matt Ryan over Hasslebeck at my last pick, but elected to go in my chosen direction due to the blossoming virginal aptitude of the oompa loompa's in season I think the running game may do well and have a feeling that Hassy could have a top 10 year, if not better...

The thing that I really like about Hixon is his size. Due to the fact that he is 6'2, I can definitely see the Giants moving most of the plays (especially in the red-zone) that we Plax's in the past over to him. In my estimation, he is a huge upside guy that looks to be in the right place at the right time.

We'll see.

ICEMAN

I considered Matt Ryan over Hasslebeck at my last pick, but elected to go in my chosen direction due to the addition of TJ, the presence of Carlson, and the return of a healthy Branch and Burelson. I think the running game may do well and have a feeling that Hassy could have a top 10 year, if not better...

NAMES!!!!!!! :doublethumbsup:

8.09 - QB Matt Ryan, ATL

P.Manning is as solid/consistent a QB as possible so I wasn't going to get his backup until the later rounds but IMO Ryan was just too good of a value to pass up here. With one more year of a top running game and WR to support him, and now adding one of the best TEs to the fold he can only improve on last seasons numbers. I expect his passing TDs to go up a bit as well with his new redzone target Gonzo. He's probably the last QB available that I would have been comfortable with as a starter, so I'm very happy to get him in the 8th.

There's another reason why I felt I could make this pick, but I'll get into that later...

The thing that I really like about Hixon is his size. Due to the fact that he is 6'2, I can definitely see the Giants moving most of the plays (especially in the red-zone) that we Plax's in the past over to him. In my estimation, he is a huge upside guy that looks to be in the right place at the right time.

We'll see.

ICEMAN

He just needs consistency in his hands to get more usage.

Great pick with Winslow. I almost took him at the 6/7 turn. I was hoping he'd fall a couple more spots.

With the dwindling amount of TE's (those with FF value) available I thought I'd better snare him now noting that you two at the corner are still TE'less.

I personally can't stand that sh1thead though!

I really like the picks this round. There have been some quality players taken in this round. I chose to take Holt over Hixon just because I think Torry may have something to prove this year. He's always been an "attitude" player, and with the way he was used last year, I think he has some gas left in the tank.

Love the QBs taken this roundespecially within this scoring system.

:doublethumbsup:

8.09 - QB Matt Ryan, ATL

P.Manning is as solid/consistent a QB as possible so I wasn't going to get his backup until the later rounds

There's another reason why I felt I could make this pick, but I'll get into that later...

I agree with the reasoning and await the additional info, for with Manning, this early of a backup wasn't necessary. Not a bad pick/value, just maybe an excess which may lead to wasted oppurtunity elsewheres. :doublethumbsup: This was his time to fall, and it likely aced somebody else out.

8.09 - QB Matt Ryan, ATL

P.Manning is as solid/consistent a QB as possible so I wasn't going to get his backup until the later rounds but IMO Ryan was just too good of a value to pass up here. With one more year of a top running game and WR to support him, and now adding one of the best TEs to the fold he can only improve on last seasons numbers. I expect his passing TDs to go up a bit as well with his new redzone target Gonzo. He's probably the last QB available that I would have been comfortable with as a starter, so I'm very happy to get him in the 8th.

And now that KWIII is off the board I can explain further... he was the other player I considered at 8.09 to be good value. The decision between picking my starting TE v. my backup QB came down to depth at the two positions... I just see a number of TEs still available that I wouldn't mind starting for me. But Ryan was the last in my current tier of QBs before a fairly significant drop off IMO.

Also, when I'm split between players if one has just joined a new team that usually tips the scales the other way for me.

I have 1 amazing value on my board, then not so much.

You cannot pick me, I am not currently on an NFL team.... :doublethumbsup:

I have 1 amazing value on my board, then not so much.

I'm going to pick him before it gets back to you...

Little irate ticketed teacher.... he has more fire than anyone left on the board

Little irate ticketed teacher.... he has more fire than anyone left on the board

I don't need him though I had to double clutch to leave him there. I actually had a commentary typed up, then came around a stuck to the plan. He's yours!

:doublethumbsup:

i just threw up a bit in my mouth.

when i took donald brown there were 2 qb's i wanted. Knowing that only fumble and i were without starters and that carson palmer went late 8th round in the jetdoc, i rolled the dice. I figured fumble would nab Ryan and i might get Palmer. I was most nervous when he hinted at taking 2 qb's. I was relieved when the second was Big Ben.

I certainly didn't expect people to be taking backups in round 8. There are now literally no QB options i like as starters.

there was no reason Ryan should have been on the board so i did this to myself :doublethumbsup:

i just threw up a bit in my mouth.

when i took donald brown there were 2 qb's i wanted. Knowing that only fumble and i were without starters and that carson palmer went late 8th round in the jetdoc, i rolled the dice. I figured fumble would nab Ryan and i might get Palmer. I was most nervous when he hinted at taking 2 qb's. I was relieved when the second was Big Ben.

I certainly didn't expect people to be taking backups in round 8. There are now literally no QB options i like as starters.

there was no reason Ryan should have been on the board so i did this to myself :doublethumbsup:

The two QB grab on the corner is named the "Fumblerusqe"!! I thought it was common FF terminology. You would have been ready for it had you been around a few more years. I had to be careful, and wasn't really successful, by not alluding to it. He did it for me, and i responded.

This works real well for Fumble and his teams always are solid up top for it!

The two QB grab on the corner is named the "Fumblerusqe"!! I thought it was common FF terminology. You would have been ready for it had you been around a few more years. I had to be careful, and wasn't really successful, by not alluding to it. He did it for me, and i responded.

This works real well for Fumble and his teams always are solid up top for it!

oh its a common strat i have used myself.... and him taking 2 didnt hurt me at all... but obviously JScott backing up Manning this early just killed my draft.

I agree with the reasoning and await the additional info, for with Manning, this early of a backup wasn't necessary. Not a bad pick/value, just maybe an excess which may lead to wasted oppurtunity elsewheres. :doublethumbsup: This was his time to fall, and it likely aced somebody else out.

And here's another reason, though to a lesser extent...

...take advantage, and do something unexpected to through others off if the opportunity presents itself

oh its a common strat i have used myself.... and him taking 2 didnt hurt me at all... but obviously JScott backing up Manning this early just killed my draft.

:doublethumbsup: One down, 10 more to go :banana: