Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The **Official** James Davis thread

Let's meet this years Steve Slaton.

I live in ACC country and watched this guy for a while and he is dynamite. He had a lackluster season last year which is the reason why he slipped to the 6th round in the NFL draft. Let's look at this 5'11" 215lb RB's credentials.

• 3,881 rushing yards, second on Clemson's all-time list.
  • 47 career rushing touchdowns were good for second in ACC history
  • ACC Rookie of the Year in 2005 and two first-team All-ACC selections.

Clemson had bad QB and Offensive Line play last season. Ask any of their fans. He was a steal for the Browns in the draft. Jamal Lewis is on the downside of his career and has been reduced to plodder. That may mean opportunity and touches for Davis.

Here are some early indicators from camp:

Rookie running back James Davis made the crowd gasp several times when he touched the ball. He runs with power, speed and he has the jukes that Browns fans haven't seen out of a running back in a long time. He pulled off runs of 50+ yards and 15 yards, both of which the crowd loved. Davis was also very consistent in getting gain of at least over four to five yards per carry.Davis is easily on he way to earning carries on gameday

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/229645-...845-am-practice

First player to create a buzz at Browns training camp?

It's running back James Davis, the last of the team's eight rookie draft picks this year.

Davis has displayed quick feet, good cutback ability and an aggressive running style. In Monday's morning practice, he broke two inside runs in team drills. One went for about 50 yards to the end zone.

"I see something real special in him," said running back Jamal Lewis

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...okie_james.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm driving the bandwagon. Come on in, the waters warm!@#! :thumbsup:

Riding Shotgun: jgcrawfish

On Board

Kent

We Tigers

Zachary (fftoday writer)

RamslovaMartzhata

Monk81

titans&bucs&bearsohmy

Turf CamelToe

The Next Generation

davidbostonisgood

BostonThreeParty

DamageIncVacc

RSeren

SaintsInDome2006

VaTerp

RaiderHatersRevenge

crackshorts

PATSSOX

Old School

surferskin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Davis tracker: Currently ranked 97th RB on fftoday (8/5/09)

Prediction: Will be top 75 by Labor day and will finish top 4 fantasy scoring amongst rookie RB's

Let's see. He faces Baltimore and the Ravens twice each, and the Bengals who look to be really improving in run D another 2 times. That's 6 bad match-ups. He's playing behind Lewis who, while he stinks, doesn't look like he'll lose his job except to injury. Harrison will take the 3rd down work in all likelihood. And he's playing for a team with a bad O-line and will probably be playing from behind from about 5 mins into the first quarter.

He's got value in a dynasty league, but I don't see much for this season.

I'm on board. What round does he get drafted......or does he go undrafted and you can get him in the last?

Let's see. He faces Baltimore and the Ravens twice each, and the Bengals who look to be really improving in run D another 2 times. That's 6 bad match-ups. He's playing behind Lewis who, while he stinks, doesn't look like he'll lose his job except to injury. Harrison will take the 3rd down work in all likelihood. And he's playing for a team with a bad O-line and will probably be playing from behind from about 5 mins into the first quarter.

Who drafted Steve Slaton last year was probably told similar things.

And you can probably get Davis for nothing but a flier.

He's on my radar, but he's not Slaton.

Lewis is better than anything the Texans had on their roster last year, and he'll get his carries.

Mix in some Jerome Harrison....who isn't at all bad, and should be getting more carries than he has.

Now, if someone gets injured, I think that opens the door for Davis. But right now he's clearly RB3 on the team and probably won't get his chance until '10.

I'm on board. What round does he get drafted......or does he go undrafted and you can get him in the last?

Obviously any sleeper is a long shot, but considering he is not even being drafted at all, he is worth a flier in my opinion. Just draft him last and reap the rewards of picking a RB3/Flex player in the 16th round. :pointstosky:

And he's playing for a team with a bad O-line and will probably be playing from behind from about 5 mins into the first quarter.

The Browns actually have a pretty decent O-line...just fyi

I live in ACC country and watched this guy for a while and he is dynamite.

Me too. He costs absolutely nothing even in expert drafts and he's the last guy I'm grabbing before my kicker this year. With the exception of 2007, Jamal Lewis has been nothing but a volume runner with a pathetic YPC the past 4 seasons. Davis will take the job from him before Harrison does. It might not happen this year, but Davis is one of my top picks for a late-season surge.

I think that I have seen this somewhere on this site. :pointstosky:

http://www.fftoday.com/articles/nicholas/0...agent_north.htm

Lewis is not the same runner that he used to be as he turns 30, but he is the de-facto runner in Cleveland. Jerome Harrison has some potential to steal some carries as a 3rd down back and James Davis could be a nice sleeper as a rookie who has flown under the radar.

First, I am assuming you meant to say Baltimore and Pittburgh.

Second, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves with this Bengals being a tough match-up talk. I realize they improved on that side of the ball on paper, but to qualify them as you have... well it's a bit ridiculous.

Third... neither Lewis nor Harrison, whom both have been on the team for a a few years each, have shown the ability to be the playmaker that the Browns (or any team for that matter) want in the backfield. Clearly the Browns aren't going to win a championship this year, so they have nothing to lose by starting a rookie and could possibly build for the future.

If Quinn or Anderson can come into their own, and if Braylon could catch the f-ing ball... well a dynamic RB could be the missing piece into building some semblence of a future for this staph infected fanchise.

I will say that out of all the players out there... I think that Davis is certainly the best candidate for the this years Slaton that I know of. For the price, he certainly is worth a look.

Interesting tidbit:

James Davis went to the same high school as Jamal Lewis. Frederick Douglass High School in Atlanta. Davis broke all of Jamal's high school rushing records while there. Now he will take his job in the pro's. It's all coming together. Life is cyclical. :wub:

Count me in. I'm in ACC country (Charlotte) as well and saw him play a lot. He's a nice deep sleeper.

I'm a Clemson fan so I've followed this guy through his college career.

What he is, is a team player will do whatever is asked of him to get on the field. He has good speed, good size, good hands. Note the use of the word good. Davis defines the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none". He doesn't have great speed and will get caught from behind eventually. He doesn't have elite power to move the pile on his own. He's a decent receiver not a great one.

What is great is his motor, he's one of those back that seems to progress throughout the course of a game so if he gets 15 - 20 touches they are more productive than his first 5-10 touches. He's also got very good vision and always got positive yards despite a Clemson's screwy zone blocking scheme and a bad OL last year.

If this guy and block (Clemson's offense rarely had him in the game in pass blocking situations) and you put him behind a very good OL, he can be a very productive running back in the NFL.

To compare his situation to Slaton's, where you had an aging incumbent and no other depth so that when that player went down Slayton made the most of his opportunity is a correct comparison.

To compare him physically to Slaton is not valid. He doesn't have the speed and cutting ability of Slaton. He's got better power, but wouldn't be a RB you'd keep in on 3rd down. I don't see him being as good of a fantasy prospect this year because I don't think the Browns offense will present him with as much opportunity to score and to grind out the yards as is his style of play. I think he's got a good chance to see some serious playing time though but to draft him with any expectations of anything more than a long shot would be a mistake.

I'm a Clemson fan so I've followed this guy through his college career.

What he is, is a team player will do whatever is asked of him to get on the field. He has good speed, good size, good hands. Note the use of the word good. Davis defines the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none". He doesn't have great speed and will get caught from behind eventually. He doesn't have elite power to move the pile on his own. He's a decent receiver not a great one.

What is great is his motor, he's one of those back that seems to progress throughout the course of a game so if he gets 15 - 20 touches they are more productive than his first 5-10 touches. He's also got very good vision and always got positive yards despite a Clemson's screwy zone blocking scheme and a bad OL last year.

If this guy and block (Clemson's offense rarely had him in the game in pass blocking situations) and you put him behind a very good OL, he can be a very productive running back in the NFL.

To compare his situation to Slaton's, where you had an aging incumbent and no other depth so that when that player went down Slayton made the most of his opportunity is a correct comparison.

To compare him physically to Slaton is not valid. He doesn't have the speed and cutting ability of Slaton. He's got better power, but wouldn't be a RB you'd keep in on 3rd down. I don't see him being as good of a fantasy prospect this year because I don't think the Browns offense will present him with as much opportunity to score and to grind out the yards as is his style of play. I think he's got a good chance to see some serious playing time though but to draft him with any expectations of anything more than a long shot would be a mistake.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't comparing Davis's skill set or physique to Slaton per se; just trying to find a sleeper RB that is drafted in the late rounds (like Slaton in 08) or not at all. :shocking:

What I disagree with you on is the notion that Cleveland's O-Line will be as bad as last year. They filled some holes there in the offseason and made that position a priority. Cleveland should see improvment in that area.

Just so you guys understand, here is a quote from me in Febuary 2008. Before he was even drafted, before anybody ever knew his name. :music_guitarred:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...l=2008++Combine

Chris Johnson RB - ECU

My little brother went to school there so I watched about 5-6 Pirate games with him. Chris Johnson is a gamebreaker at RB. Every game I saw he was the best player on the field. He had over 1900 total yards and 23 TD's last year. I was not suprised in the least that he was the fastest RB at the combine. I would keep an eye on the guy, he is the real deal.

Me > You HTH

He has skills, no doubt. It's just hard for me to even "sleep" on a guy who is third string, with a messed up offense and a defensive minded coach. I like the idea of picking him up in week 9, when hopefully they have got their act together. :music_guitarred:

The player you are forgetting about: Jerome Harrison.

He had very limited touches last year, but showed big-play potential -- 34 rushes, 246 yards, 7.2ypc plus 12 receptions for 116 yards at 9.7ypc. he was criminally under-utilized under romeo... who we all know wasn't such a great coach. mangini should figure this one out... harrison is lightning in a bottle and should be used similarly to Leon Washington last year. i think that means around 75-100 carries, plus 40-50 receptions. if he can block, he's clearly the best 3rd Down RB they have.

jamal lewis is past his prime, but his struggles last year were more a result of the offensive line - which is better than many people think, but underperformed last year. the o-line should improve if joe thomas comes out of his sophomore slump and alex mack is as good at center as he can be. keep in mind lewis averaged 4.4ypc in 2007 but only 3.6 last year. he could get back to 4.0 this year.

i like James Davis, but i don't know if i can get on the bandwagon. i think the real break out season for davis is not this year but in 2010. all three of these RBs will see some time and limit the potential of all of them. IF lewis gets hurt, then of course davis should be a major pick up. i don't think he's worth a draft pick in a 16 round 12 team league. IF lewis gets hurt or is really terrible, they will use a committee with harrison and davis.

Football Outsiders is REALLY high on Harrison and low on Lewis, but Davis still doesn't get much love. here's the breakdown...

Lewis: 150 rushes, 488 yards @ 3.3ypc + 22 receptions for 180 and 6 TDs

The very definition of plodding. About 44 percent of all rushing plays are stopped for a gain of two yards are less;

Lewis’ average last season was 48.4 percent. That wouldn’t be a major problem if Lewis pushed

a few 11- to 20-yard runs into the 21- to 30-yard category, or maybe the 30-plus category, which Lewis failed

to crack. With no big play capability, Lewis has become a plowhorse, and while this sort of back is usually

effective on the goal line, Lewis contributed four touchdowns on 18 carries inside the five last year, when the

average back would’ve scored 8.14 times. Couple that with Lewis’ minor knee surgery in April and his 30th

birthday party in August, and you have a recipe for a massive production tailspin. The new Browns brass still

thinks of Lewis as a featured back. They are part of a shrinking minority.

Harrison: 162 rushes, 793 yards @ 4.9 ypc + 44 receptions, 400 yards, 7 TDs

Harrison has been extremely productive from a per-touch standpoint for two years, yet he has never carried the

ball more than eight times in a game. That’s a little silly, particularly on a team that routinely gave Jamal Lewis

20 touches per game so he could grind out 66 yards. Harrison is small, but lots of 5-foot-9 running backs thrive

in a 12- to 15-carry, four- to five-catch role. The new Browns staff may use Harrison the way they used Leon

Washington in New York last season: as a passing down back in an offense where second-and-4 is considered a

passing down. Harrison deserves the expanded role. If we’re right about Jamal Lewis collapsing, he’ll get it.

Davis: 41 rushes, 158 yards @ 3.8ypc, 9 receptions, 76 yards, 0 TDs

Behind a shaky offensive line on a team in tumult, Davis saw his averages fall across the board his senior year,

averaging just 4.4 yards per carry and posting just two 100-yard games (he had five in 2007).

Once a star recruit from Georgia, Davis overcame quite a few injuries in his time

at Clemson and could be an injury risk in the pros. He also could see more rookie carries than other low-round

draft picks if our projection for Jamal Lewis is correct.

He has skills, no doubt. It's just hard for me to even "sleep" on a guy who is third string, with a messed up offense and a defensive minded coach. I like the idea of picking him up in week 9, when hopefully they have got their act together. :thumbsdown:

and on a team that plays the Steelers & Ravens 2x's. Ouch. That said put me on.

Mangini from camp:

''I like the way he's competed in the pass protection drills,'' Mangini said. ''I think he's done a nice job with his reads. He's made some really savvy decisions in protection for a young guy, and that takes time. I am happy with him.''

Choo Choooo! :thumbsup:

The Browns actually have a pretty decent O-line...just fyi

It was good 2 years ago. Not so much last year (although pretty much the entire team collapsed).

8-6: 2:50:32 pm Browns rookie RB James Davis continues his impressive camp and just sprinted in for a TD.

This thing is gaining some steam fellas. :pointstosky:

So NG, you on the bandwagon or not? :banana:

I like Davis and think he will be a great dynasty league pick. His situation this year is not however close to the situation Slaton was in last year. Ahman Green and Chris Brown were severe injury risks entering last season and both were injured throughout preseason camp. The Texans also have Alex Gibbs as the OL coach along with his zone blocking scheme made famous in Denver. The scheme was perfectly suited for Slaton. No offense to the Browns OL coach but he's not Gibbs. Slaton was drafted late like Davis but was the recepient of a perfect storm of opportunity. Unless both Lewis and Harrison suddenly become injured during camp, Davis will not have the opportunity to play consistently from the get go. Where Davis has value this year is at the end of the season. By week 13-14, the Browns should be out of playoff consideration. I foresee Davis putting up some numbers in weeks 16-17, maybe even week 15. The Browns have a history of younger backs down on the depth chart coming up big in the last 2 weeks of the season. Looking at the Rookie RB's, McCoy and Brown have best chance to be this year's Slaton. Moreno and Wells are not considered because they are both arguably the starting RB on their team (If Moreno signs). Digging very deep, the Bengals have a rookie RB who could wind up starting half the Bengals games this year. I don't trust Cedric Benson.

ruh-roh:

Browns OG Rex Hadnot was carted off the field Thursday with what's believed to be a serious knee injury.

Scout.com reports that Hadnot "blew out" the knee and appeared to be in severe pain. Hadnot had been penciled in as the starting right guard. Ryan Tucker and Pork Chop Womack would be options to replace him if the injury is serious.

I like Davis and think he will be a great dynasty league pick. His situation this year is not however close to the situation Slaton was in last year. Ahman Green and Chris Brown were severe injury risks entering last season and both were injured throughout preseason camp. The Texans also have Alex Gibbs as the OL coach along with his zone blocking scheme made famous in Denver. The scheme was perfectly suited for Slaton. No offense to the Browns OL coach but he's not Gibbs. Slaton was drafted late like Davis but was the recepient of a perfect storm of opportunity. Unless both Lewis and Harrison suddenly become injured during camp, Davis will not have the opportunity to play consistently from the get go. Where Davis has value this year is at the end of the season. By week 13-14, the Browns should be out of playoff consideration. I foresee Davis putting up some numbers in weeks 16-17, maybe even week 15. The Browns have a history of younger backs down on the depth chart coming up big in the last 2 weeks of the season. Looking at the Rookie RB's, McCoy and Brown have best chance to be this year's Slaton. Moreno and Wells are not considered because they are both arguably the starting RB on their team (If Moreno signs). Digging very deep, the Bengals have a rookie RB who could wind up starting half the Bengals games this year. I don't trust Cedric Benson.

Harrison is not an every down back, he's a change of pace back at best. Jamal is 30 and fat. HTH

Choo Chooo!@#! :thumbsup:

Harrison is not an every down back, he's a change of pace back at best. Jamal is 30 and fat. HTH

Choo Chooo!@#! :music_guitarred:

Whether you feel they are still valuable or not, Both Lewis and Harrison enter camp healthy and neither has been working out on special teams. Davis has. Slaton had everything come together perfectly last year. As of now, Davis does not have the same Domino's falling in line that Slaton had.

Whether you feel they are still valuable or not, Both Lewis and Harrison enter camp healthy and neither has been working out on special teams. Davis has. Slaton had everything come together perfectly last year. As of now, Davis does not have the same Domino's falling in line that Slaton had.

Your negative vibe is not welcome here. Beat it kid.

Before seasons end, it will be Harrisons job.

Before seasons end, it will be Harrisons job.

X

Rookie tailback James Davis already looks better at picking up the blitz than Jerome Harrison, according to beat writer Tony Grossi.

Pass protection has never been Harrison's strength. We're starting to get the feeling that if Jamal Lewis gets hurt in-season, Davis might play more than Harrison because he's a better inside runner and more reliable on passing downs, even if Harrison is more explosive.

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/conten...nfl&id=5173

:music_guitarred:

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Davis. So you guys will have to enlighten me. What makes him so special? In watching some of his 'highlight' reels on youtube, I saw a pretty average runner. The holes he ran through were friggin' huge, and he didn't seem like he had any special burst or elusiveness...nor did he seem all that powerful either.

Not saying he won't put up numbers. He could if given the opportunity.....albeit on a bad Cleveland team who has a worse QB, worse receivers, and plays in a divison with more stout run defenses than Slaton's Houston team.

So what exactly is enticing about Davis' abilities?

So what exactly is enticing about Davis' abilities?

He doesn't have Reggie Bush's speed. But he's plenty fast.

He doesn't move the pile like Jerome Bettis. But he gets the extra two yards after contact.

He doesn't have hands out of the backfield like Westy. But he can catch the rock.

He doesn't have vision like LT2, but he finds a hole and hits it without dancing.

He has nothing but praise in regards to attitude, hunger, and being a teammate.

In other words he is like an Emmit Smith type runner. Sure his highlights won't 'wow' you like some other guys. But on a football team he can do it all. And RB's that can do it all will get on the field, and once on the field will get playing time. Playing time equals opportunity (touches).

Couple that with the fact that Jamal Lewis is over 30 and coming off injury. Add in that Jerome Harrison is more of a scat-back like a poor man's Leon Washington/Sproles who is a change of pace guy. And I see Davis having a chance to make some waves this season.

Of course he has his work cut out. He was a sixth round pick. He started out 3rd on the depth chart. He plays for the Browns. So, nobody is saying he is gonna light the world on fire. But for a guy that wasn't a blip on the fantasy radar, I'm saying keep your eye on the guy and take a flier as he has a good of a chance as any late rounds picks to make a big contribution on your fantasy team. :music_guitarred:

Plus it's fun. :overhead: