Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The **Official** James Davis thread

Reality is that a bad Brownies team is relying on an old, heavily used "big" RB with a history of bad ankles and a ton of miles on him. Jamal is one of the PRIME pieces of evidence of the curse of high carries and has never been the same RB after his won the rushing title and then broke down. About 6 games into the season the Brownies will be out of the playoff hunt and turn to the youth movement and Davis will get his shot. Nobody had Steve Slaton on their radar last year either. I'm not saying that Davis will be this years Slaton, because the offensive weapons in Cleveland are not nearly what Slaton has in Houston. But lets use best case scenario. Lets say that either Quinn plays well or Anderson returns to what he did 2 years ago, Braylon returns to what he did 2 years ago and one of the rookies steps on the other side of Braylon. Whoever is in the backfield is going to have a lot of room to run if the offense opens up. Yes, it's unlikely to happen, but it was less likely 2 years ago without a good young talent back there. If you jump on a guy who might get hot in the last few weeks of the season, the 14th round pick spent now is well worth the price.

That's a lot of What ifs man.

I'm not opposed to saying Davis will become the starter at some point this year, because I think it will happen.

As far as all the what if's...... I'd say maybe one of the what if's will come true. Not sure which one at this point.... but that is probably where I draw the line.

I can See Davis being a starter. I just dont know how quick it is going to happen.

I dont think he will take the league by storm like Slaton did, cuz the team around him kinda sucks, but I can see him being a halfway decent RB2 once he gets the starting job.

That's a lot of What ifs man.

I'm not opposed to saying Davis will become the starter at some point this year, because I think it will happen.

As far as all the what if's...... I'd say maybe one of the what if's will come true. Not sure which one at this point.... but that is probably where I draw the line.

I can See Davis being a starter. I just dont know how quick it is going to happen.

I dont think he will take the league by storm like Slaton did, cuz the team around him kinda sucks, but I can see him being a halfway decent RB2 once he gets the starting job.

yeah, of course it's a lot of what-if's. but the point is that the scenario is similar, not the same, but similar. I'm not banking on Davis as my #3RB or anything, but as a guy you can get as a #5 that may be starting on his team shortly, it's not a bad pick.

Reality is that a bad Brownies team is relying on an old, heavily used "big" RB with a history of bad ankles and a ton of miles on him. Jamal is one of the PRIME pieces of evidence of the curse of high carries and has never been the same RB after his won the rushing title and then broke down. About 6 games into the season the Brownies will be out of the playoff hunt and turn to the youth movement and Davis will get his shot. Nobody had Steve Slaton on their radar last year either. I'm not saying that Davis will be this years Slaton, because the offensive weapons in Cleveland are not nearly what Slaton has in Houston. But lets use best case scenario. Lets say that either Quinn plays well or Anderson returns to what he did 2 years ago, Braylon returns to what he did 2 years ago and one of the rookies steps on the other side of Braylon. Whoever is in the backfield is going to have a lot of room to run if the offense opens up. Yes, it's unlikely to happen, but it was less likely 2 years ago without a good young talent back there. If you jump on a guy who might get hot in the last few weeks of the season, the 14th round pick spent now is well worth the price.

Steve Slaton was on my radar last year, and I drafted him...

For another owner who was too drunk to pay attention and told me to pick a player for him. :thumbsup:

Steve Slaton was on my radar last year, and I drafted him...

For another owner who was too drunk to pay attention and told me to pick a player for him. :thumbsup:

ouch, i bet that scar on your forehead from that one still burns everytime someone mentions him eh? :cry:

Via Daniel Jeremiah's(Brown's scout 2007-2008) twitter yesterday:

@MoveTheSticks

"James Davis getting more reps isn't window dressing. He is going to cut into Jamal's load early in 09."

I think the comparison of Davis to Slaton is very good. Neither had blazing speed at the NFL combine. Both had senior years that were disappointing. Neither were drafted highly by their respective NFL teams. The Texans were thought to be a one-man show offensively, AJ; nobody expects anything out of Cleveland. Both Davis and Slaton went/or will go very late in most ff drafts because no one knew what role they'd play. Davis has shown he can run and cut and catch the ball. Now if he works on picking up the blitz, he should be able to overtake one of the two worst starting RBs in the league (Hightower being the other).

ouch, i bet that scar on your forehead from that one still burns everytime someone mentions him eh? :unsure:

I picked him(Slaton) up for myself in an auction draft for my keeper league for a dollar last year. by that point in the draft everyone had their teams in place and nobody bid against me.

best value play I made all year.

UPDATE!@#$!

James has moved all the way up to 79th in the FFtoday rankings (was 99th two weeks ago). Mr. Davis has a ADP in the 13th round as well. Congratulations to all those that were able to snag him in the 15th and 16th rounds. :thumbsup:

will you people shut the hell up??? my long time league doesn't draft until next saturday (fockin bunch of tards...who the hell waits until the last preseason weekend AND screws up labor day all at once???). somebody delete this thread and never speak of it again.

I was on the Davis train early on, but now I think he might actually have become overrated. He's not Steve Slaton and his ceiling isn't anywhere near Slaton's. He's a decent talent in a situation where he has a great opportunity, not a great talent.

I was on the Davis train early on, but now I think he might actually have become overrated. He's not Steve Slaton and his ceiling isn't anywhere near Slaton's. He's a decent talent in a situation where he has a great opportunity, not a great talent.

Listen here Switzerland, there is no middle ground here. You're either with us or against us. Pick one.

How is a guy getting drafted at the very end of everyone's draft getting an overrated tag? Does not compute.

This interests me.

Let's say everyone in the backfield in CLE stays healthy (Lewis is superior to Ahman Green in that regard, right?).

And consider that Mangini may use a similar offensive style to what he employed at NY.

Who's the Thomas Jones and who's the Leon Washington here? Jamal's not either of those guys.

Davis is Jones and Harrison is Washington.

You should be looking at TJones, not Slaton.

But it will take time to move Lewis to more of a short yardage back, which also would make sense for his age.

So I think you have a point, maybe just not right away.

Add: short answer, I buy it, and I'm on this bandwagon.

I am debating dropping Tim Hightower for him. Tim is my #5 back so its not such a bad idea i suppose. I do not think jamal will get cut but Davis had alot of carries with the 1st team last week. and looked twice as good as lewis.

I drafted Davis in the 15th round and if he pans out thats fantastic.

if he doesn't I wont really give a crap cause hes my 5th rb.

If I do need to make a move in my league though, hes looking like one of the first guys to get cut.......

Is Jamal Lewis getting cut? I highly doubt it. He has value to that franchise and isn't totally washed up. However the fact that it is even debatable says everything you need to know about the future of the Browns backfield. One mis-step by Jamal, or one pulled hammy, or one disciplinary action and our boy James 'Choo Choo' Davis will step in.

It might not be week one, or even week four, but it will happen this year. :music_guitarred:

Even Jamal himself sees the light and realizes that there might be a new sheriff in town:

Browns RB Jamal Lewis dismissed the notion that his ego might be bruised if he must share the workload this year or in the future. "Look at my numbers and what I've done in my career," he said. "I don't think that could hurt my ego at all. I've accomplished a lot."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm driving the bandwagon. Come on in, the waters warm!@#! :rolleyes:

Riding Shotgun: jgcrawfish

On Board

Kent

We Tigers

Zachary (fftoday writer)

RamslovaMartzhata

Monk81

titans&bucs&bearsohmy

Turf CamelToe

The Next Generation

davidbostonisgood

BostonThreeParty

DamageIncVacc

RSeren

SaintsInDome2006

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, the bandwagon is starting to fill up. Only a few more spots. Let me know ASAP if you wan't on as only bandwagoneers that jump on pre-season get unlimitied smack talking rights. Anybody that waits until after JD blows up to try and get on will be shunned. HTH

so you are saying he is more like this years Tim Hightower.

he will get a chance to start a couple of games, but likely wont make a big splash.

that was my analysis. or he may be somewhere in between. He may start, put up adequate numbers.

draft as your #4 hoping you can use him as a #2 or #3.

I took Lewis late because I was going to take Davis in the last....and some other owner grabbed him! NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot that the owner went to Clemson! I should've known better!

I was all set to draft Davis and passed on him for a 3rd QB (deep rosters) thinking he would be there a round later.

:music_guitarred:

Have another draft tonite and Im going to take him. KSB, last year you were with me on Chris Johnson. This year Im with you on Davis.

Lets Ride!!!

Lets Ride!!!

:music_guitarred:

I think it's time for James Davis to get a nickname. Any suggestions? I'll start:

• Choo Choo
  • JD1
  • The Steamer (Cleveland Steamer) :giggle:

Threads like this cause guys to become overvalued. He'll go in the 8th or 9th round of a lot of drafts, ahead of guys who are better, because it feels good to be that guy who KNEW so and so was going to blow up.

:dunno:

I think it's time for James Davis to get a nickname. Any suggestions? I'll start:

• Choo Choo
  • JD1
  • The Steamer (Cleveland Steamer) :giggle:

:nono:

oh hell no, there are already WAY too many of the ghey nicknames running around. It's no wonder that everybody who doesn't play fantasy football thinks that everybody who does is a geek. What are they supposed to say when they hear conversations with "All Day Peterson" , "Mo-Jo", "D-Wil", "Megatron" and other phagtastic crap like that in it. You tards give us a bad rep.

:thumbsup:

oh hell no, there are already WAY too many of the ghey nicknames running around. It's no wonder that everybody who doesn't play fantasy football thinks that everybody who does is a geek. What are they supposed to say when they hear conversations with "All Day Peterson" , "Mo-Jo", "D-Wil", "Megatron" and other phagtastic crap like that in it. You tards give us a bad rep.

Okay so you don't like those, gotcha. What about Prince James? You know since LeBron is King James in Cleveland, then Davis is the Prince. :doublethumbsup:

Prince James!@#!

Whatcha think?

im on board, in my first draft I took him in rnd 14 to a bunch of who???????'s

my 2nd draft I took him rnd 12 to a bunch of NICE PICK!!!!'s

my 3rd draft I took him rnd 11 with no response (online draft)

my 4th draft is thursday and I plan on taking him with rnd 10 pick, if someone else takes him higher now they can have him.

James Davis is the most interesting footballer in the world.... his ff reputation is expanding faster than the universe... he once failed to score a touchdown just to see how it felt... he lives vicariously through Jamal Lewis... police often question him just because they find him interesting... he has never lost a sock... he is left handed and right handed... he is the most interesting footballer in the world

ouch, i bet that scar on your forehead from that one still burns everytime someone mentions him eh? :)

Would you drop Shady McCoy for him in a standard re-draft....... thats my dilemma

I'm going to try to package McCoy and another bench player to upgrade slightly and free a roster spot, but if I can't I don't know what I will do yet

We're giving this guy nicknames already????

I drafted him in the 15th round in a 10 team redraft.

Loved him @ Clemson, was an absolute moose.

I don't even have turner, but scooped Norwood in the 13th. I chose to drop him over JD because I think JLew is on his last leg in CLE. Why wouldn't they start Quinn, phase out Jlew ?

But seriously, when do you think he gets his first start or atleast a majority of the carries?

Week 5 me thinks.

What's With James Davis?

WWJD?

I like the guy, sometimes a little to much dancing in the back, but he can hit the hole good and fast, make the cuts that Lewis can't make anymore. I see him overtaking lewis as the season progresses. Probably at a 60/40 split.

Would you drop Shady McCoy for him in a standard re-draft....... thats my dilemma

I'm going to try to package McCoy and another bench player to upgrade slightly and free a roster spot, but if I can't I don't know what I will do yet

No. the upside for McCoy is far greater in the Philly offense than it is for Davis in Cleveland. If Westbrook goes down, or when Shady inherits the gig, he's likely at least a late RB1 or early RB2 with big potential. I've got McCoy in PPR league and the Westbrook owner is knocking on my door everyday, but i'm not answering.