Sign in to follow this  
HTH

Anyone ever leave an empty slot in starting lineup?

I have done that in the past. CBS/nfl,com leagues now give you a forfeit and 0 points for the week if you do this. I guess the noob owners who cant evaluate waiver wire talent got mad and complained when savvy owners played a week without a kicker in order to stash a waiver wire prospect who turned into a stud.

I might do it this week when Gates is on a bye. I have to see how all the waiver wire claims turn out first. I'm 4-0, and it'll be a nice little slap in my opponent's face if I can beat him without a full squad.

I have done that in the past. CBS/nfl,com leagues now give you a forfeit and 0 points for the week if you do this. I guess the noob owners who cant evaluate waiver wire talent got mad and complained when savvy owners played a week without a kicker in order to stash a waiver wire prospect who turned into a stud.

CBS sportsline money leagues give a forfeit and a total of zero points for the week if you leave a slot open?

Can anyone verify this?

Also, anyone consider this to be a sound strategy?

I'm toying with the idea of not dropping Carney this week. But If I do it Saturday night I can pick him up at midnight on Monday. If not, meh, it's just a kicker.

I'm toying with the idea of not dropping Carney this week. But If I do it Saturday night I can pick him up at midnight on Monday. If not, meh, it's just a kicker.

I dropped Carney in 2 leagues I am in. I figure it is a kicker, and that there are 20 other kickers on the WW. Hey if a team has more than 1 kicker on their roster more power to em.

I am considering keeping Denver D when they are on a bye though.....

I considered not picking up a TE for last week with Gonzalez on a bye week (I ended up picking up Finley so I guess that worked out well). But I think TE is the only spot I'd consider leaving open, or maybe a defense if there's really nothing on the WW. Most WW TE's would get you what, 4 or 5 points? If you really don't want to drop anyone, I think that's fine.

On the other hand, kickers are a dime a dozen, but can still score a decent amount of points. No need to hang onto a bye week kicker especially at this point in the season IMO.

CBS sportsline money leagues give a forfeit and a total of zero points for the week if you leave a slot open?

Can anyone verify this?

You start the player you have on bye instead of picking someone up to fill in for a week.

I've gone w/out a kicker before, but not b/c I didn't want to drop a "stud" (is there such a thing as a stud kicker?). We use blind bidding in our league, w/ a bank of fantasy money, so I didn't want to spend more money

I'm considering going without a TE this week with Gates on bye. The least valuable player on my roster that i could drop is probably Jerome Harrison, and i'm not willing to cut a starting RB for a TE that might only get me like 5 points or so

I'm considering going without a TE this week with Gates on bye. The least valuable player on my roster that i could drop is probably Jerome Harrison, and i'm not willing to cut a starting RB for a TE that might only get me like 5 points or so

I wouldn't either! My worst with Gates on a bye was Ginn, so I figured he was expendable.

Of course now he will rack up 7 - 100yd games

I did this this past week with Celek on bye. I didn't want to drop anybody on my roster for a guy that I would only start once and get 2 points out of. I rolled with no TE and lost my game.

The best available tight end was Zack Miller, so I think I made the right choice.

I've left slots open in the past but it can come back to hurt you. Last season a friend missed the playoffs by less than 2 points. Sometime during the season he went with an open slot. Probably one place he could've gotten those extra couple points.

I've left slots open in the past but it can come back to hurt you. Last season a friend missed the playoffs by less than 2 points. Sometime during the season he went with an open slot. Probably one place he could've gotten those extra couple points.

Yup and when you look back on who you thought was valuable and not droppable, you'll be :thumbsdown:

I'm thinking about dumping Jonathan Stewart for either Heath Miller or Todd Heap.

Dumb move?

Roster is in sig.

I'm thinking about dumping Jonathan Stewart for either Heath Miller or Todd Heap.

Dumb move?

Roster is in sig.

I see your dilemma. You don't want to drop Stewart since you're so thin at RB. Consider dropping the 49ers - you'll probably picked them off of the WW and even though they scored an obscene number of points last week, they are a good, but not great defense. Last week was predictable. As is this week when they play Atl - #2 in points allowed to fantasy defenses. In week 6, they are on BYE.

EDIT: I just saw your 2nd defense change from Broncos to Chargers. The Chargers are droppable as well. Since you don't have an elite defense (IMO), you might consider just dropping both and playing matchups every week. Miami and Buffalo have good matchups this week:

http://www.fantasyalgorithms.com/cgi-bin/s...RN_TOUCHDOWNS=6

Can anyone verify this?

NFL.com is verified as is sportsline. I checked.

I see your dilemma. You don't want to drop Stewart since you're so thin at RB. Consider dropping the 49ers - you'll probably picked them off of the WW and even though they scored an obscene number of points last week, they are a good, but not great defense. Last week was predictable. As is this week when they play Atl - #2 in points allowed to fantasy defenses. In week 6, they are on BYE.

Just updated my sig.

I actually have the 9rs and the Chargers as my ds.

I think the Broncos D is somewhat of a product of their schedule and the Chargers have some great matchups going forward.

Even though most people are prolly down on the Chargers D, I'm hesitant to drop them.

Maybe I'll just start Gates this week and hope for the best.

:dunno:

EDIT: I just saw your 2nd defense change from Broncos to Chargers. The Chargers are droppable as well. Since you don't have an elite defense (IMO), you might consider just dropping both and playing matchups every week. Miami and Buffalo have good matchups this week:

http://www.fantasyalgorithms.com/cgi-bin/s...RN_TOUCHDOWNS=6

Thanks for the reply.

Denver's D is avail on the waiver wire. Do you consider them to be an 'elite' D?

:dunno:

Thanks for the reply.

Denver's D is avail on the waiver wire. Do you consider them to be an 'elite' D?

:cheers:

Yes!

No. You are right that their success has been a product of their schedule. As well as they've done, they should have done 30.58% better. So far this year, the best defenses have been (in relation to their schedule):

Phi

Bal

Minn

NYJ

Pit

GB

Tenn

Ind

Mia

TB

Of these, I'd probably say only Phi, Bal, Minn, NYJ are elite but that is purely subjective.

ETA: Later I found the list in this post to be complete wrong. Correct list is in a post below.

So far this year, the best defenses have been (in relation to their schedule):

Tenn

TB

Of these, I'd probably say only Phi, Bal, Minn, NYJ are elite but that is purely subjective.

TEN and TB?????? They've both given up 27 PPG

And the Eagles D is good, but not elite. They scored a gajillion fantasy points against the Panthers but got lit up by the Saints

TEN and TB?????? They've both given up 27 PPG

And the Eagles D is good, but not elite. They scored a gajillion fantasy points against the Panthers but got lit up by the Saints

TB: Against Dal, Buf, NYG, and Wash they've averaged 10% more fantasy points than those teams other opponents

Tenn: Againt Pitt, Houston, NYJ, and Jax they've averaged 14.5% more fantasy point than those teams other opponents

The 'elite' label is really subjective. I would use 'elite' to mean a defense that I'd play all of the time, regardless of matchups. So far this year, Philly is averaging 57% more fantasy points than their prior opponents' other opponents. That, and they've always been really aggressive with the blitzing which causes turnovers. I'd call them elite for fantasy purposes, but to each his own.

TB: Against Dal, Buf, NYG, and Wash they've averaged 10% more fantasy points than those teams other opponents

Tenn: Againt Pitt, Houston, NYJ, and Jax they've averaged 14.5% more fantasy point than those teams other opponents

The 'elite' label is really subjective. I would use 'elite' to mean a defense that I'd play all of the time, regardless of matchups. So far this year, Philly is averaging 57% more fantasy points than their prior opponents' other opponents. That, and they've always been really aggressive with the blitzing which causes turnovers. I'd call them elite for fantasy purposes, but to each his own.

Are you just making these percentages up?

The Bucs are just a bad team overall. They gave up 33 points to the Bills, who averaged less than 14 points in their other 3 games. They gave up 34 points to the Cowboys, who have averaged less than 21 points in their other three games. Hell, they gave up 16 points to the Redskins, who have only averaged 13.3 points in their other 3 games.

The Titans may turn out to be okay, but nothing they've done so far has really indicated that. They gave up 37 points to the Jaguars, who only averaged 20 points in their other 3 games. They gave up 34 points to the Texans, who also only averaged 20 points in their other 3 games. They gave up 24 points to the Jets, who averaged less than 17 points in their other 3 games.

And the Eagles scored 35 FF points in week 1, -4 in week 2, and 6 in week 3. Especially since they only played 3 games, don't you think that week 1 performance inflates those numbers a bit? Unless of course you're saying other teams defenses are only averaging -8 points against the Saints and 3 against the Chiefs.

Can anyone verify this?

yes if there is an empty slot it will cause a forfeit....but if you have a player in the line up that happens to be on a bye week it does not count as a forfeit.....that is how you get around it.....leave the player in the line up even though on a bye

I'm thinking of rolling with no TE this week with Olsen on bye. There's no decent options on the waiver wire, and I'd either have to

A) Lose depth at WR/RB to grab a bye-week fill in

B) Drop Olsen and hope I can snag him back off waivers next week

Not crazy about either option. I'm not sure if I can win the matchup without a TE, but I'm willing to take my chances (3-1 right now).

Are you just making these percentages up?

Of course I am - my motivation should be obvious. Walk away from this thread knowing that you're right.

Of course I am - my motivation should be obvious. Walk away from this thread knowing that you're right.

Did you bother to read the rest of my post?...the reason why I really do think you were just making them up

Did you bother to read the rest of my post?...the reason why I really do think you were just making them up

You know what? You are right! I must have been looking at the wrong column or wrong position. Not sure. HERE are the top defenses so far (and their % performance over their opponents avg):

DEN 57.50%

NO 54.25%

SF 51.28%

ARI 44.00%

PHI 43.59%

MIA 30.83%

NYG 30.08%

MIN 20.55%

NYJ 20.00%

BUF 19.23%

and down the list are

TEN -31.15%

TB -36.84%

You're right - Tenn and TB are not good defense options :thumbsup:

Lot of people leaving empty slots in starting lineups; see T. Owens, B. Edwards, McFadden owners. :thumbsup:

I did this last year with Winslow as my TE. I was averaging alot of points each week with Warner, Boldin and AJ so it worked out.

I am in a pickle with a similar situation except it is a RB that I have to worry about. We are only allowed to have 4 players at any given position regardless of injury and such. So, Gore is hurt and PT and Grant are on byes. This leaves me with R. Rice. I obviously don't want to drop Grant or Thomas. I would either have to do that or drop one of them sunday morning and hope that my 3rd position on the WW would let me get them back Monday. There are a # of serviceable bye week fill in RB's available on our Free Agent list.

The kicker is that I am 1-3 and could really use win #2 in the big picture. I guess I will try and work a trade for Grant.

thoughts or suggestions on what type of trade to pursue?

Didn't play a kicker last week. Lost by 13 points. My kicker scored 10. If I would have lost by 9, I'd be kicking myself in the a$$ right now!

Yes. Last week I did not start a TE. I was confident I would win. Lost by 3.9 points with the third-highest points for the week (my opponent was the high scorer). Only two TE on waivers would have scored enough (4 points) for me to win -- Heap or Boss. I probably would have picked up Heap. Now I'm 3-1 instead of 4-0.