Sign in to follow this  
Joey Gladstone

Seahawks fans

Supposedly, Miami is going to give Marshall a contract that makes him the highest paid WR in the league. Interesting.

Lackman

wanted to add some thought I had regarding the hawks, wanting picks over marshall, and their general rebuilding but didn't want to get that Marshall thread too far off track so i'll bring it here where it belongs :thumbsup:

I wanted to use my Jets as an example. I look at 2005/06 as the time the Jets decided to rebuild more or less. We had a coaching change to Mangini (ignore that) and Mike T took over as GM. The roster at the time wasn't spectacular. Cotchery, Ellis and Moore are the only impact players still on the team today from their 2005 roster. In Mike T's first draft the Jets had the luxury of 2 first rounders (much like the Hawks) picks 4 and 29 which became Ferguson and Mangold.

Since then, the Jets have continually traded away draft picks in order to move up and get targetted players. In 07 they moved up for Revis in round 1 and moved up again in round 2 for David Harris. In 2008 they traded back into round 1 for Dustin Keller. Obviously in 2009 they traded up for Mark Sanchez and did so again for Shonn Greene with the first pick in round 3. All these guys are regarded as cornerstones for the franchise.

The Jets have made a habbit of trading away quantity of picks for quality players and I feel the Seahawks could have viewed a trade for Marshall in the very same way considering his age. Furthermore, the Jets made these trades for unknown players. They had strong convictions about them and they have largely been correct but there was no guarantee. Marshall is a guarantee as far as skill is concerned.

Another thing this has done for the Jets is make them a more attractive destination. Players like Nnamdi came out and said they wanted to play in NY alongside Revis. LT chose New York over Minnesota because of the offensive line we built. It didn't take many draft picks to do this.

Hindsight is 20/20 ofcourse, so forgetting Sarah Brandon Marshall, I still think the quality over quantity route is a good one to hope the Seahawks take. "We have so many holes" is a valid arguement but the 2005 Jets were a 4-12 team with alot of holes as well.

Exactly - And Marshall is more proven "quality" then any drafted player.

Supposedly, Miami is going to give Marshall a contract that makes him the highest paid WR in the league. Interesting.

hmmm, I wouldnt want to be doing that. His production justifies it, but his immature behavior sings a different tune. If anybody is equipped to make a bold move like this it's Parcells and his underlings.

Whenever the cap goes back into effect I wouldnt want to be on the hook paying that much money to a guy that was disrupting practices only months ago. I guess if anybody can pull it off it's Parcells (Keyshawn).

Denver had to sign Marshall, so they could deal him. The deadline was looming, I forget which day, maybe April 15th. Denver never backed off the demand of a 1st round pick according to both Denver and Seattle media reports that I have reading like an obsessive lunatic. Miami made an offer equivalent to a low end first, bingo, done deal. Miami wasn't even a rumor up until yesterday. And then it was a Ted Ginn for Marshall trade, with other stuff thrown in.

I don't know if I would have ultimately traded 2 2nds for Marshall. I really don't know. I'm torn on the price to pay. I would have dealt a 2nd and a 4th, but that wasn't going to be nearly enough. I stated earlier in this thread a couple of days ago that I anticipated a trade featuring a 2nd and an early 5th. I was wrong.

yes Denver had to sign Marshall first but you don't seriously think they did that and THEN made the deal with Miami. They had that deal in place with Miami, told Marshall they had a deal in place to ship him out, and he signed his tender to make it happen. I heard rumors weeks ago that Denver was backing off its 1st round price tag.

anyway the main point I was making is that trading 2 2nd's for Marshall is akin to trading up in the draft for the player you covet only in Marshalls case you know exactly what you are getting.

really no way to spin this positively imo, unless you claim the Hawks offered 2 2nd's and were simply outdone by Miami's more attractive pair of 2nd's.. but I have a feeling that wasn't the case.

hmmm, I wouldnt want to be doing that. His production justifies it, but his immature behavior sings a different tune. If anybody is equipped to make a bold move like this it's Parcells and his underlings.

Whenever the cap goes back into effect I wouldnt want to be on the hook paying that much money to a guy that was disrupting practices only months ago. I guess if anybody can pull it off it's Parcells (Keyshawn).

He was disrupting practices because Denver would not reward his services for ALL the major production he gave Denver. They never wanted to give him money, which was stupid.

Denver caused ALLOT of his problems. He is deserving of a big contract.

BUT, even with that Marshall still maned up and gave it everything he had last year and did his best for the team.

The off field stuff way back when, I think are way behind him - He was young.

Marshall will be just fine in Miami - Of course Parcells/staff will get the credit. BS - Marshall just wants his just do payday. He's still a team player and makes everybody around him better. (Even the Def as he helps keep his Def fresher staying off the field)

BIG MISTAKE not getting Marshall. :thumbsup:

Miami made a great move considering what the Jets are doing.... That Div is straight loading up.

And yes - They still have a draft just like we do.

Seattle was trying to acquire good, young, slightly tainted talent at a cheap price. Miami paid fair market value. I think that's the best way to sum it up.

He was disrupting practices because Denver would not reward his services for ALL the major production he gave Denver. They never wanted to give him money, which was stupid.

Denver caused ALLOT of his problems. He is deserving of a big contract.

BUT, even with that Marshall still maned up and gave it everything he had last year and did his best for the team.

The off field stuff way back when, I think are way behind him - He was young.

Marshall will be just fine in Miami - Of course Parcells/staff will get the credit. BS - Marshall just wants his just do payday. He's still a team player and makes everybody around him better. (Even the Def as he helps keep his Def fresher staying off the field)

BIG MISTAKE not getting Marshall. :lol:

Miami made a great move considering what the Jets are doing.... That Div is straight loading up.

And yes - They still have a draft just like we do.

i agree with all of this. Marshall hasnt had an off field incident in a little while and while he had some imature antics in practice last year, he was obviously going 100% in catching 100 balls for 10 td's in less than 16 games. If he wasn't going 100%, look out! :mad:

his 3 year production does warrant a max contract. Highest paid WR? probably not when you consider a few other guys are as good and dont come with any baggage but its also kind of the natrue of the beast to keep topping the last guys deal.

Do you guy's realize we paid almost as much for Whitehurst who hasn't played 1 down of NFL football, questionable preseason, and horriable college for basically the same price as Marshall.

We gave a early 2nd (Almost a first) for a late 2nd (Almost a 3rd) - Basically a full round down at the 1st-2nd round level.

(So we still have a pick - But - huge differance in talent there)

And next years 3rd (Which will be a HIGH 3rd and almost a 2nd) - Which will be equal to Miami's late 2nd rounder they will be giving.

(That will be about a wash)

We got Whitehurst - No Marshall - Real fing nice move Seattle.

And now Clausen will be available for us anyway who could be a "franchise type QB" to where it's unlikely Whitehurst EVER will be.

No Marshall who is fing younger by 2-3 years then Whitehurst.

We practically did the same deal for Whitehurst that Miami did for Marshall. :mad: :doh: :music_guitarred:

eh. obviously you and I agree, the Hawks made a big mistake not pushing harder for Marshall. but i wouldn't go as far as to say the hawks gave up as much for Whitehurst as Miami did for Marshall.

Moving back, lets call it 1 full round, for a player is not the same as giving away 2 second rounders for a player.

but yeah, had they not made that useless whitehurst trade, they would have had a more attractive pair of 2nd rounders than Miami and could have potentially landed Marshall.

"(Seattle GM) John Schneider looks like he was trying to pull a Ron Wolf by signing Charlie Whitehurst. It would be something if he hits. ... I will say this: Drafting Jimmy Clausen early would scare the (heck) out of me. The Matt Schaubs of the world go for two (second-round picks). To give up a third and move back 20 spots when you already have two ones is a good move to me. You don't lose your job paying $8 million over two years to a quarterback who might hit. You lose it paying $64 million over five to a cocky rookie. The problem is, if you don't have a quarterback, how do you win in this league? Where do you get these guys from?"

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/0...e-on-whitehurst

I think acquiring whitehurst gives them more flexibility for what they are able to do in the first round. There is not going to be an elite QB in the nfc west this season, the seahawks can draft other needs. If, and this is a big if, the seahawks hit on both first round picks, they should be able to compete in the weak nfc west.

I think that the first round draft choices are going to be more important than which QB the seahawks start, neither the cardinals nor the niners have that much more talent.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/0...e-on-whitehurst

I think acquiring whitehurst gives them more flexibility for what they are able to do in the first round. There is not going to be an elite QB in the nfc west this season, the seahawks can draft other needs. If, and this is a big if, the seahawks hit on both first round picks, they should be able to compete in the weak nfc west.

I think that the first round draft choices are going to be more important than who wins the QB battle, the neither the cardinals nor the niners have that much more talent.

Thats the understatement of the offseason :music_guitarred:

And I would say San Fran is probably the best team almost everywhere except QB, where I think they have the weakest group in the division (and maybe the NFL).

Do you guy's realize we paid almost as much for Whitehurst who hasn't played 1 down of NFL football, questionable preseason, and horriable college for basically the same price as Marshall.

We gave a early 2nd (Almost a first) for a late 2nd (Almost a 3rd) - Basically a full round down at the 1st-2nd round level.

(So we still have a pick - But - huge differance in talent there)

And next years 3rd (Which will be a HIGH 3rd and almost a 2nd) - Which will be equal to Miami's late 2nd rounder they will be giving.

(That will be about a wash)

We got Whitehurst - No Marshall - Real fing nice move Seattle.

And now Clausen will be available for us anyway who could be a "franchise type QB" to where it's unlikely Whitehurst EVER will be.

No Marshall who is fing younger by 2-3 years then Whitehurst.

We practically did the same deal for Whitehurst that Miami did for Marshall. :mad: :dunno: :music_guitarred:

If I am not mistaken with my alcohol soaked memory, Miami gave up an estimated 660 draft value capital in acquiring Marshall, while Seattle gave up around 270 draft value capital in getting Whitehurst. Miami gave up 244% more value in making their acquisition, which of course is 2 1/2 times more. In other words, Miami gave up two picks that were both individually more valuable than Seattle gave up in their swap with San Diego and giving up one pick in next year's draft.

Don't panic. Yet. Let's see how the draft goes.

If I am not mistaken with my alcohol soaked memory, Miami gave up an estimated 660 draft value capital in acquiring Marshall, while Seattle gave up around 270 draft value capital in getting Whitehurst. Miami gave up 244% more value in making their acquisition, which of course is 2 1/2 times more. In other words, Miami gave up two picks that were both individually more valuable than Seattle gave up in their swap with San Diego and giving up one pick in next year's draft.

You're the voice of reason?

:music_guitarred:

And still no Hawker?

:dunno:

Where the hell am I?

:mad:

I just heard whispers and looked around for a smoke monster.

[/size]

You're the voice of reason?

:music_guitarred:

And still no Hawker?

Where the hell am I?

:mad:

I just heard whispers and looked around for a smoke monster.

Look, somebody has to be the voice of reason for another week. Because you know that I am going to have a complete meltdown on draft day. Again.

I've been kicking around the idea of pulling up old posts from old draft day threads, and looking at my/our first reactions to picks made in real time, and how it all turned out. A retrospective project for this weekend. Well, it's mostly about me. I'm curious how wrong or right I was since I tend to be so vocal. Oh, I was not a Ruskell fan to say the least. I bookmarked 2006,2008,2009, but I'm having trouble finding 2007. I think that is the missing year that I was looking for.

Well, you guy's are right that it's not the same deal. I guess I kind of meant it was close. But, I jumped the gun with that statement.....

I'm not sure how they figured a draft value though when the picks are not even determined yet?

We are going to have a HIGH 3rd rounder next year cause we will be loosing - And I expect Miami to have a very LOW 2nd rounder next year once they win with Marshall on there team. I consider that a wash.

I don't care what the "so called" calculator thing say's.

I get that we didn't lose this years 2nd like Miami did - That's the differance I guess. Probably why the value numbers are double.

I forgot Miami's 2nd rounder was so high this year - Like Our's that we gave up. One lost round is not equal to a complete lost pick.

So this part of the 2 trades are not equal.

BUT, those picks still could have been used to get Marshall instead of Whitehurst. And this should have been our top priortiy instead of panicking for a QB that hasn't shown nothing, EVER.

I guess my biggest problem is Marshall could have been a "quick fix" to things and a few good draft picks here and there and some better coaching, etc. and in a weak division we would have had a great shot to rebound.

Now I'm realizing we are in some kind of 5 year LONG plan and who knows if Carroll will make it past 4 if we don't show improvement soon.

More then ever - I want Spiller now. We need some type of playmaker on this team!

I put us right next to the Rams right now - And worse then last year depending on the draft. NFL teams can get fixed fast and Marshall would have helped do that. It's dissappointing. Panick is ALREADY set in. 2 strikes already and I'm betting the draft is strike 3.

I'm happy your so possitive.

Well, you guy's are right that it's not the same deal. I guess I kind of meant it was close. But, I jumped the gun with that statement.....

I'm not sure how they figured a draft value though when the picks are not even determined yet?

We are going to have a HIGH 3rd rounder next year cause we will be loosing - And I expect Miami to have a very LOW 2nd rounder next year once they win with Marshall on there team. I consider that a wash.

I get that we didn't lose this years 2nd like Miami did - That's the differance I guess. Probably why the value numbers are double.

I forgot Miami's 2nd rounder was so high this year - Like Our's that we gave up. One lost round is not equal to a complete lost pick.

BUT, those picks still could have been used to get Marshall instead of Whitehurst. And this should have been our top priortiy instead of panicking for a QB that hasn't shown nothing, EVER.

I guess my biggest problem is Marshall could have been a "quick fix" to things and a few good draft picks here and there and some better coaching, etc. and in a weak division we would have had a great shot to rebound.

Now I'm realizing we are in some kind of 5 year LONG plan and who knows if Carroll will make it past 4 if we don't show improvement soon.

More then ever - I want Spiller now. We need some type of playmaker on this team!

I put us right next to the Rams right now - And worse then last year depending on the draft. NFL teams can get fixed fast and Marshall would have helped do that. It's dissappointing. Panick is ALREADY set in. 2 strikes already and I'm betting the draft is strike 3.

Believe me, I am very far from a positive person. I'm not gnashing my teeth over not getting Marshall. Just didn't happen. I'm moving on. Disappointed, but I'm trying to stay focused on the draft. It's a brand new day. We had a bad track record in drafting under Ruskell and even before that, there were some real swings and misses. We have a brand new regime with brand new guys making decisions. I will give them the benefit of the doubt to do things right up to pick #6 and #14, and then the bashing may start up. But I'll keep an open mind until next Thursday and hope for the best. The off season has been underwhelming, but not much talent was out there to sign, and the trades were nondescript. I still hold out hope we can sign free agent Ben Hamilton for the offensive line, as I think he is a good fit and is an Alex Gibbs guy.

Don't overlook the fact that Seattle got the best of Denver by getting their 1st round pick this year. Do you think Denver wanted to get swindled a second time? They would have dealt him to another team than Seattle if the offers were close in value. No doubt in my mind. Spite is a very powerful emotion.

That's Jimmy Johnson's draft value chart you're talking about.

I believe he was the first one to instrument it.

And as far as being happy Lackman is positive. :overhead:

You're in for a real treat come your first draft expierence here.

Come thursday, you my friend will never use the words happy and positive when you deal with Philly in the same sentence again.

:doublethumbsup: Get your popcorn ready. You're in for a treat.

Like every self indulgent, self respecting fan, I have scheduled a vacation day for Friday the 23rd of April. :doublethumbsup:

Like every self indulgent, self respecting fan, I have scheduled a vacation day for Friday the 23rd of April. :doublethumbsup:

I'll email Carroll and Schnieder to beef up security.

Sounds just about identical to Randy Moss when he came to the Pats....

Yet you are comparing a backup QB who won't play to a top 5 WR.... Marshall is more than 2.5x as valuable as some clipboard holding backup QB...

Yet you are comparing a backup QB who won't play to a top 5 WR.... Marshall is more than 2.5x as valuable as some clipboard holding backup QB...

Marshall also cost 12 million a year over 4 years. Trading for whitehurst instead of trading for marshall is going to leave 40 million extra dollars for the seahawks to use on free agents in the future.

Marshall also cost 12 million a year over 4 years. Trading for whitehurst instead of trading for marshall is going to leave 40 million extra dollars for the seahawks to use on free agents in the future.

Free agents like Brandon Marshall? Guys they think about signing before signing stiffs from 'the replacements' squad? They can have $40 million worth of Charlie Whitehursts' !!!!!! Just think of all those oompa lumpas running around Seattle...Oh MY!!!!

Free agents like Brandon Marshall? Guys they think about signing before signing stiffs from 'the replacements' squad? They can have $40 million worth of Charlie Whitehursts' !!!!!! Just think of all those oompa lumpas running around Seattle...Oh MY!!!!

AGREED

Marshall is about as good as you're ever going to see out there..... Playmakers are not just guy's you can always get later on.

They don't grow on trees for you.

Marshall has 6-10 years left in his tank to build your team around.

Besides - There are still LOTS of guy's that you can take money away from in the coming years. Hass will be one has he won't be resigned.

Burelson is gone now, who eated up a huge chunk of money.

Money for a SuperStar is well worth it! We are spending money on garbage right now.

Burelson is gone now, who eated up a huge chunk of money.

The seahawks paid Burleson 14 million over 4 years. What a huge chunk of money!

How is it that there is a seahawk fan that did not know how burleson's contract worked?

The seahawks paid Burleson 14 million over 4 years. What a huge chunk of money!

How is it that there is a seahawk fan that did not know how burleson's contract worked?

I'm not sure if they redid his contract as a Hawk or not to be honest?

But, the original contract the Hawks signed Burelson was for 49 Mil. and they used the poison pill to get him.

This is a TON of money for who he was and to me a #3/#2 Wide. I'd say more of a #3, especially back then. Hardly a well known player or Stud like Marshall.

49 Mill "BACK THEN" - That's fing huge dude - What are u talking about?

You questioning me as a Hawk fan is pretty ridicules anyway.

Marshall is now going for this same range of money - Probably less years I Imagine. But, the wides DO NOT EVEN COMPARE

I'm not sure if they redid his contract as a Hawk or not to be honest?

But, the original contract the Hawks signed Burelson was for 49 Mil. and they used the poison pill to get him.

This is a TON of money for who he was and to me a #3/#2 Wide. I'd say more of a #3, especially back then. Hardly a well known player or Stud like Marshall.

49 Mill "BACK THEN" - That's fing huge dude - What are u talking about?

You questioning me as a Hawk fan is pretty ridicules anyway.

Marshall is now going for this same range of money - Probably less years I Imagine. But, the wides DO NOT EVEN COMPARE

My point is that Burleson making 49 million was never an option. The contract had alot of inflated numbers that could of never been met. The one number i said that he actually got paid 14 million. It was the first number to come up in google. He might of made a little more than that in stuff that was disguised better, but there was no way that he made 20 million.

My point is that Burleson making 49 million was never an option. The contract had alot of inflated numbers that could of never been met. The one number i said that he actually got paid 14 million. It was the first number to come up in google. He might of made a little more than that in stuff that was disguised better, but there was no way that he made 20 million.

Well, nobody usually see's there entire full contract. I'm sure Marshall won't see his entire 50 Mil and I'm sure they could and will rework it down the road also.

My point is this: Take what Burelson was making or going to make - Then what we paid Whitehurst - And then what Hass makes or going to make next year = And instead you now have the money for Marshall/Playmaker/Improvement/Fills a need with a fairly young Superstar, to where the draft won't cover everything.

I don't think the money was even a issue anyway in my view - It was giving up the picks.

BUT, Hawks didn't seem to mind giving up the picks for a potential backup QB that hasn't played a down in the NFL's regular season.

Again, the point was our picks should have went for Marshall instead.

Also, we have plenty of other guy's on this team not worth what we pay them that could be used. Burelson was just one quick example I gave that we NOW are not spending on.

Paying for a SuperStar like Marshall is not a mistake and P. Allen has the pocket book to do have paid for him.

If it WAS a money issue - Then you trade down out of the first round for later or future picks.

the trade for Whitehurst was, ummm, idk im not going to say it was bad but what did it accomplish?

Brandon Marshall would have helped this team both now and in the future but what can you do. It certainly is an interesting time to be a seahawk fan. Watch them draft Taylor Mays.

no Whitehurst = more attractive 2nd rounder than Miami = Brandon Marshall = top 5 (3 imo) WR = someone for your future franchise QB to grow with...

or trading for marshall + drafting a franchise tackle = an attractive destination for a FA QB or one who is not content with their current team (Jay Cutler type)...

The last day and a half was useful for stepping away from the Marshall situation and giving it some thought.

I am convinced that Denver was going to make us suffer to get Marshall. You simply cannot overlook that the trade they made during last year's draft of their 1st round pick this year for our 2nd last year was pissing them off. They are not a charitable organization willing to bend over for our amusement year after year. Marshall, for all his talent, led Denver to 4 straight non winning records, and let's be realistic, Denver has a much more talented roster than Seattle at this point. Marshall is the type of guy a team acquires when they are decent and are ready to make the next step. Like Miami. You can't mortgage your future by trading what I assume would have been a high 1st round pick and maybe even have to thrown in a 2nd to Denver to outbid Miami. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to lay your cards down, and walk away. The front office didn't with Whitehurst when Arizona was in the running for his services too. Seattle overpayed. They got bluffed. This time, they walked away. The price was ridiculous for a beginning to rebuild team. For one of the few times in recent memory, I'm OK with a major move/non move the front office made. Marshall is a really nice shiny toy. But this team desperately needs help on both lines and defensive backfield. If Hasselbeck can't find time to throw the ball, what's the point of Marshall running routes?

It's the more boring route, for sure. Marshall would have been exciting. But it's going to take a long time to rebuild for this team. I have to be pessimistic. Ruskell had garbage drafts, and we have little talent left. Linebackers and......well....we have a good punter and kicker. Yippe!!!

Seattle offerd a 2nd and a 4th, which is about right market value wise. Miami overpayed.

Pete Carroll signs his former USC Wide Receiver....drumroll... ... .. .... ...... .... .. Mike Williams! - per NFL Network

:lol:

Pete evaluates talent worse than Al Davis.

Sorry Seahawks fans.

Maybe change the title to: It's a Difficult Time being a Seahawks fan

The last day and a half was useful for stepping away from the Marshall situation and giving it some thought.

I am convinced that Denver was going to make us suffer to get Marshall. You simply cannot overlook that the trade they made during last year's draft of their 1st round pick this year for our 2nd last year was pissing them off. They are not a charitable organization willing to bend over for our amusement year after year. Marshall, for all his talent, led Denver to 4 straight non winning records, and let's be realistic, Denver has a much more talented roster than Seattle at this point. Marshall is the type of guy a team acquires when they are decent and are ready to make the next step. Like Miami. You can't mortgage your future by trading what I assume would have been a high 1st round pick and maybe even have to thrown in a 2nd to Denver to outbid Miami. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to lay your cards down, and walk away. The front office didn't with Whitehurst when Arizona was in the running for his services too. Seattle overpayed. They got bluffed. This time, they walked away. The price was ridiculous for a beginning to rebuild team. For one of the few times in recent memory, I'm OK with a major move/non move the front office made. Marshall is a really nice shiny toy. But this team desperately needs help on both lines and defensive backfield. If Hasselbeck can't find time to throw the ball, what's the point of Marshall running routes?

It's the more boring route, for sure. Marshall would have been exciting. But it's going to take a long time to rebuild for this team. I have to be pessimistic. Ruskell had garbage drafts, and we have little talent left. Linebackers and......well....we have a good punter and kicker. Yippe!!!

Seattle offerd a 2nd and a 4th, which is about right market value wise. Miami overpayed.

Good points - Probably true to some extent. I think us trading our 2nd rounder was the topper though. Our LATE 2nd rounder and a 4th for the likes of Marshall to me is NOT market value. That's a slap in the face after we traded the original pick down. Ya, I'm sure they wouldn't want to deal with us after that and us not willing to trade #14. It was over at that point.

I think Marshal is worth a 1st easy - They pretty much got that from Miami.

But, do you really think Denver would have turned down the #14 pick?

Do you think Miami could have gave up better then a #14 1st round pick to top us?

I dont think so on either account.... We would have landed him.

Nobody could have beat that #14 pick pretty much - We had that deal locked up. There's no way we would have had to "add" more picks with just that pick alone. If so, then Yes - Denver didn't want to deal with us and let them take less. And if that were the case then Hawks could then make that public news, and that would have hurt Denver. Publically, everybody would then no they are taking less to NOT deal with Seattle. They would have been bashed by media/fans.

But I don't agree that you would have had to give up more then #14, which you kind of said.

So - should we have gave #14 though?

Well first - HAD we not done the Whitehurst deal: We would still have a high 1st rounder, HIGH 2nd rounder, Next year's 3rd, etc. We would have a TON of picks for our future still. We only lose #14 - But gained a Superstar in Marshall in a needed area who betters your team.

Ok, so Whitehurst deal done - no turning back: Well, giving up a 3rd and 20 picks from the end of the 1st I think means you think you found your QB. That possition should be DONE THEN, if that's what you truly think.

So why not lock up Marshall at #14 (Who's a lock compared to some rookie who ties up big $) and help out your QB of the near future who happens to be older then Marshall.

You still have a 1st, 2nd, and later picks to fill some of the other needs. You can still get your stud LT or your blue chip Def player.

My point: This one pick lost is not going to add something Marshall doesn't - Rather the opposite is more true.

(And if you're worried about our draft power so much, then why give up so much of it for Whitehurst?)

Hawks should have also REALIZED what Denver wanted and waited on Whitehurst if they truly did not want to give #14.

I feel like they never had a solid plan, and got screwed on both accounts.

They had the ammo for Marshall, but lost all control once they did the Whitehurst trade. They gambled AND LOST.

Whitehurst was more important for some reason?

That's bad in my view!! Marshall should have been plan A betwen the two.

I won't go into the whole what does Marshall do for us thing. He would have made EVERYBODY better including our Oline

and QB's and TJ.

We would be allot closer to a better team then some overpaid rookie that might bust. He's young enough to build around.

He IS your #14 pick, your not loosing it.

It's like picking Dez Bryant, but "knowing" he'll be a top 5 wide in the league.

Anyway - I've said my peace. :)

Time for me to move on from the Marshall plan now. :dunno: :lol:

Pete Carroll signs his former USC Wide Receiver....drumroll... ... .. .... ...... .... .. Mike Williams! - per NFL Network

:lol:

Sorry Seahawks fans.

This is our answer for missing out on Marshall? :dunno: :) :mad:

How come I see Mayes coming draft day. :lol:

Sorry Seahawks fans.

Old news Kemosabe. Thanks for the update though :lol:

Old news Kemosabe. Thanks for the update though :lol:

Not sure what you consider "old" news. He just signed today and it was reported late afternoon/early evening.

Anyway, great Kemosabe reference, I haven't thought about The Lone Ranger in a long time. Loved that show when I was a kid.

Not sure what you consider "old" news. He just signed today and it was reported late afternoon/early evening.

Anyway, great Kemosabe reference, I haven't thought about The Lone Ranger in a long time. Loved that show when I was a kid.

Yeah, but I first heard this was close to happening on Monday or Tuesday. There was chatter on it over at fieldgulls.com.

And the Lone Ranger was a little before my time, but I do remember watching Gunsmoke and Bonanza reruns with my Gradma as a kid. Nothing cowboy related can ever top Eastwood in the "Man With No Name" Trilogy. Every young man should be forced to watch those movies to help counteract the pussification of America.

Good points - Probably true to some extent. I think us trading our 2nd rounder was the topper though. Our LATE 2nd rounder and a 4th for the likes of Marshall to me is NOT market value. That's a slap in the face after we traded the original pick down. Ya, I'm sure they wouldn't want to deal with us after that and us not willing to trade #14. It was over at that point.

Do you think Miami could have gave up better then a #14 1st round pick to top us?

Nobody could have beat that #14 pick pretty much - We had that deal locked up. There's no way we would have had to "add" more picks with just that pick alone. If so, then Yes - Denver didn't want to deal with us and let them take less. And if that were the case then Hawks could then make that public news, and that would have hurt Denver. Publically, everybody would then no they are taking less to NOT deal with Seattle. They would have been bashed by media/fans.

But I don't agree that you would have had to give up more then #14, which you kind of said.

Well first - HAD we not done the Whitehurst deal: We would still have a high 1st rounder, HIGH 2nd rounder, Next year's 3rd, etc. We would have a TON of picks for our future still. We only lose #14 - But gained a Superstar in Marshall in a needed area who betters your team.

Ok, so Whitehurst deal done - no turning back: Well, giving up a 3rd and 20 picks from the end of the 1st I think means you think you found your QB. That possition should be DONE THEN, if that's what you truly think.

So why not lock up Marshall at #14 (Who's a lock compared to some rookie who ties up big $) and help out your QB of the near future who happens to be older then Marshall.

You still have a 1st, 2nd, and later picks to fill some of the other needs. You can still get your stud LT or your blue chip Def player.

My point: This one pick lost is not going to add something Marshall doesn't - Rather the opposite is more true.

(And if you're worried about our draft power so much, then why give up so much of it for Whitehurst?)

Hawks should have also REALIZED what Denver wanted and waited on Whitehurst if they truly did not want to give #14.

They had the ammo for Marshall, but lost all control once they did the Whitehurst trade. They gambled AND LOST.

I won't go into the whole what does Marshall do for us thing. He would have made EVERYBODY better including our Oline

and QB's and TJ.

We would be allot closer to a better team then some overpaid rookie that might bust. He's young enough to build around.

It's like picking Dez Bryant, but "knowing" he'll be a top 5 wide in the league.

Anyway - I've said my peace. :mad:

Time for me to move on from the Marshall plan now. :dunno: :lol:

this guy gets it.

could have drafted a LT with your 6th pick, had Marshall and supposedly you have your franchise QB in Whitehurst :)

now you have Mike Williams and you'll probably end up going LT/Taylor Mays

:pointstosky:

Sorry Seahawks fans.

Brought in Reggie Williams too. What on earth is wrong with letting players try out, ones that seemingly might have gotten their lives back together? Does it hurt to take a look? At some point, Mike Williams was seen as talented enough to warrant a top 10 pick.

Your point is completely lost on me.

and QB's and TJ.

Anyway - I've said my peace. :)

Time for me to move on from the Marshall plan now. :( :banana:

Round and round we go. :pointstosky:

While the Whitehurst deal limited our flexibility, the other side of the argument is that we then would have spent the #6 pick on Claussen. Any doubt that would have been the fall out of not trading for Whtiehurst? So, then you spend arguably your first round picks on Claussen and Marshall. Does this make the team any better than spending both 1st round picks on other positions? I don't know.

They gave up too much for Whitehurst. If they gave up too much for Marshall too, it would have been a disaster in my eyes. They would be the retarded front office in the league, and would never be able to deal with any other team without being pitched a bad offer and constantly being tried to be swindled.

Sadly, if Miami doesn't step up, we aren't considering any of this. Denver probably accepts our offer. And I do understand the frustration of not landing Marshall. That's the way I typically felt on draft day during the Ruskell years.

Link

The Buffalo Bills will be entertaining offers for former Pro Bowl running back Marshawn Lynch(notes) heading into next week’s NFL draft, multiple sources have told Yahoo! Sports.

While the Bills have not been actively shopping Lynch around the league, two sources in contact with the Bills said Buffalo would be open to moving him if a package included a second-round pick. And though no dialogue has taken place between the Bills and potential suitors, the aforementioned sources say the Seattle Seahawks, who hold the 28th pick in the second round (60th overall), have had internal discussions about acquiring Lynch.

The match would seem to be a comfortable fit: Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is familiar with Lynch after facing him three times while coaching USC, and Lynch’s best friend – former Cal teammate Justin Forsett(notes) – carries a portion of the load in the Seattle backfield. In addition, the new Seattle regime apparently isn’t sold on current starter Julius Jones(notes) as the long-term answer in the backfield.

A two-time 1,000-yard rusher, Lynch has favored a trade out of Buffalo since losing his starting role to Fred Jackson(notes) last season. Lynch was suspended the first three games of the 2009 season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy, stemming from a guilty plea for a misdemeanor gun charge. After losing his starting role last season, the 2007 first-round pick has failed to show up for offseason workouts with the Bills. However, he isn’t subject to fines by the team until he misses a mandatory event, and the Bills won’t hold their mandatory offseason mini camp until June 23-25.