Sign in to follow this  
dactyl shmactyl

Ray Rice vs Frank Gore vs MJD vs Andre Johnson

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who To Draft With The 4th Overall Pick?

• Frank Gore
    • Andre Johnson
    • Maurice Jones-Drew
    • Ray Rice

Drafting from the 4 spot in a 10 team league.

Start: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, W/R, TE, K, DEF

6 pts all tds; 1 pt per 10 rushing/receiving; Bonuses at 100, 150, and 200 yards; 1/4 point per reception.

Teams 1 and 2 have hinted at taking Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. Team 3 is wavering back and forth between Gore, Rice, and MJD- that leaves me in the 4 hole. Who the hell would you draft if you were in my spot?

Gore: 229 carries, 1120 rushing yards, 10 rushing touchdowns, 52 receptions, 406 yards, 3 receiving touchdowns

- Had a bounce back year in 2009 after two straight seasons of just over 1000 yards and an average of 5.5 rushing touchdowns per year. An easy cupcake schedule, plenty of opportunities, receives well out of the backfield and should get the goal line carries are all facets that work in favor with Gore's 2010 campaign. With Coffee out, that leaves Michael Robinson and Anthony Dixon as his respective backups, so he'll be heavily relied upon. The emergence of Crabtree and Vernon Davis should help keep the defense from stacking the box, but Alex Smith is going to need to show more improvement and consistency. Another slight downside could be since they have such an easy schedule (based off of 2009 results), they might rack up early leads and give Gore time off late in the game to keep him fresh/give backups experience, but I could just be over thinking that aspect. In 2009 averaging 4.9 yds per attempt, Gore hit double digit rushing touchdowns for the first time (10) last year and was the first season he's had over 10 combined touchdowns in a season. Gore has struggled to repeat his yardage totals of 2006, but nonetheless, a healthy Gore should be poised for big production in 2010.

Andre Johnson: 101 receptions, 1569 receiving yards, 9 touchdowns

- The big, gifted, physical receiver is arguably the best in the game right now. Playing on a dynamic passing offense should lead to him having another exceptional year. His production increased even more so after Owen Daniels was lost to injury in 2009, but there's no denying that he's the number one option for Schaub. He had five games last year over 100 yards with games of 193 and 196 back-to-back weeks 14 and 15. Since 2006, he's had over 100 receptions each season except for the year he only played 9 games in 2007. The only concern- if you could call it that- is his touchdown numbers. Never has he hit double digits and in the five out of seven full 16 game seasons he's had, he's averaged 6.4 touchdowns a year, which is less that most people would expect from such a talented player. That won't hinder most from selecting him in the first round of this year's fantasy drafts and his owners can look forward to another dominant season.

Maurice Jones-Drew: 312 carries, 1391 yards, 15 rushing touchdowns, 53 receptions, 374 yards, 1 receiving touchdown

- Going into his second year as a full time starter, Jones-Drew had one of the best seasons last year in fantasy football amassing over 1750 total yards and 16 tds. He's far and away the centerpiece of the Jaguars offense and their success will revolve around his production and health. Since joining the league in 2006, he's averaged 13.5 touchdowns per season. However in his first season of over 300 carries, he showed signs of wearing down at the end of last year, averaging 3.71 yards per carry for the final seven games, surpassing the 100 yard rushing mark once and scoring just three rushing touchdowns during that phase. Learning from the experience of being the primary back, it should help improve his physical and mental approach for the grind of the football schedule and help him stay strong from beginning to end on the verge of another potential 280+ carry season. MJD is easily a top 5 back and by season's finish he could end up as the league's top fantasy back.

Ray Rice: 254 carries, 1339 yards, 7 rushing touchdowns, 78 receptions, 702 yards, 1 receiving touchdown

- In just his second year in the league, the former Rutgers standout burst onto the scene in a big way. Over 2000 total yards in the regular season and more than 280 total yards in the postseason made Ray Rice a household name and one of the top fantasy backs of 2009. A true dual-threat out of the backfield, Rice looks to repeat, if not improve upon last season's accomplishments. With the additions of pro-bowl receiver Anquan Boldin and speedster Donte' Stallworth, Flacco will have more options, which in turn may lead to a drop in Rice's receptions, but subsequently should keep opponents from putting eight in the box. Willis McGahee, who posted 12 rushing touchdowns on 109 carries, and Le'Ron McClain's 46 carries and 2 rushing touchdowns, both pose a risk to hinder Rice's rushing touchdowns from within the 5 yard line. McGahee is rumored to be on the trading block as the Ravens look to add another cornerback to their depleted secondary, which would elevate Rice's value even more so. Rice only posted over 100 rushing yards in four games last year, but had over 100 total yards in 12 out of 16 games. People may be concerned about his height and size and the possibility of injury with another season of heavy work, but similar to Maurice Jones-Drew and Frank Gore, Rice has a low center of gravity (5'8'' 212 lbs....MJD: 5'7'' 210 lbs; Gore: 5'9'' 217 lbs.) and is a strong, quick and dense target to tackle. Besides, if height and weight were directly correlated to injury than Brandon Jacobs would be invincible and we all know that isn't the case. Ray Rice's ADP in 2010 is 1.04, which is appropriate for this stat sheet filler as he attempts to repeat on his strong sophomore performance.

I've been ranking these four as: MJD, Rice, Gore, AJ. I'm almost guaranteed to be able to draft one of either MJD or Rice, which is the direction I'll most likely go in. However, Gore and AJ are both tempting targets. I think Gore should have a solid year and with Andre I'd be getting the unanimous #1 at receiver.

How would you rank these players and who would you draft if in my position? I opened the voting for multiple answers, so you could either choose two of your favorites from that list or just select one if you feel it's an undisputed choice.

I voted MJD. He is just too good to pass up.

Rice...he'll get vultured by McGahee

Gore...too much of an injury risk

A.Johnson...never pass up on an RB for a WR...imho.

I voted MJD. He is just too good to pass up.

Rice...he'll get vultured by McGahee

Gore...too much of an injury risk

A.Johnson...never pass up on an RB for a WR...imho.

At least don't pass up a top 4 rb :headbanger:

You have to go with MJD even tho he doesn't catch as much out of the backfield his TDs make up for that and Rice doesn't get much work inside the redzone. that being said the guy in 3 spot should take MJD which leaves you with Rice or Gore. sounds like you are high on Gore so take him

MJD here. Could not pass him up there. He is number 3 on my board.