Sign in to follow this  
Mattwood440

Points Scored vs. Points Allowed?

Nagging question about fftoday>tools>Fantasy Strength of Schedule. I've read the description of "Opponents' FF Points Scored" and "Opponents' FF Points Allowed" 100 times and I don't understand something. Example: this week, "Opponents' FF Points Allowed" for ARI (@ KC) = 15.4%, BUT for "Opponents' FF Points Scored" KC vs QB it says -22.7%

So which is it? Is KC allowing more than average FF QB points or are QBs facing KC scoring less than average???

If for simplicity the league average QB FF points was 10 is this saying KC is allowing 11.5 or is it 7.73?

Well, geez dumbass. :wacko: You need to put the doohickey into the flux capacitor. DUH.

Honestly, I have no idea what that stuff means. I'm pretty much of the ilk where you try and pick up the DST that is playing the Panthers every week and start the best of your offensive bunch.

Hey Matt. Sorry, I saw your post earlier and couldn't respond then, but I'm back now to try to clarify the info from this feature.

You are looking at two different things. The Points Allowed (ARI) does not match Points Scored (KC) even though they play each other this week.

Points Allowed is fantasy points that teams allow (give up) to the opposition they've faced so far this season.

So, Points Allowed for QBs, ARI shows "KC 15.4%" indicates that on average, KC gives up 15.4% more fantasy points to quarterbacks than an average defense. This is a positive matchup for ARI. I should also note these stats are based on the last 5 weeks. You can see the 15.4% matches the last 5 weeks number on the KC detailed points allowed page, found here:

http://fftoday.com/stats/fantasystats.php?o=2&TeamID=9010&Season=2010&PosID=10&Side=Allowed&LeagueID=1

See the Comparison to NFL Average box, Last 5 Weeks.

On the other hand, Points Scored is fantasy points that teams score (earn) over the opposition defenses they've faced so far this season.

Points Scored for QBs, KC shows "ARI -22.7%" indicates that on average, ARI scores 22.7% fewer fantasy points by its quarterbacks than an average offense. This is not surprising, and indicates that an ARI QB is generally not a good fantasy play this season. This is a positive passing matchup for the KC defense.

I find the Points Allowed is used a lot more often, because you know your start/bench or waiver options available to you, and you want to know whether their matchups are good, bad or neutral. You generally have a good idea already if they are over or underperforming expectations. This is why we have a direct link to the points allowed remaining schedule from the homepage.