Sign in to follow this  
tackle_football

4th pick in 12 team PPR?

Qbs get 1 pt per 25 yards and 4 per TD

RB/WR/TE get 1 per 10, 6 per td, and 1 pt per rec

If Rice, McCoy, or Foster are still there I obviously would grab one of them. This is a big money online league so I dont know anyone's draft tendencies so I am assuming all 3 are gone before it gets to me. Who would you target at the 4 spot? I typically don't take a QB this early unless someone can convince me otherwise, so that leaves me with CJ, Mathews, CJ2K and a few others that I am considering. Who would you take? My gut is telling me Mathews or CJ as things stand right now.

In a 4 pt QB passing TD league, I don't think you can consider Rodgers at #4...but I also wouldn't say it is a ridiculous notion. With the #4 pick, you need to hit a home run. It has to be a sure stud. Therefore, I'm a little leary of Ryan Mathews...even though I like him this year. The #4/#5 spot is really tough this year.

Chris Johnson is only 26, so he isn't a washed-up RB, although he is coming off his worst year as a pro (based on total yards, yards per carry, and TDs). Could he return to the 2K rusher of 2009? Possibly, although not likely. Should he put up better numbers than last year? Yes. I can see an argument for taking him #4...but, damn...I'd rather be sitting with the #6/7 pick at this point and force people before me to make this tough call.

Maurice Jones-Drew is 27, but split carries his first three years. He IS the Jags offense, which can be good...but also scary. In a PPR league he can be a great pick here. However, as there is always turnover in the Top 10 running backs from the previous year, MJD is also a person many pick to get bit by the injury bug this year and be a 1st round bust. However, that is all speculation. MJD is a safe pick, but I'd also be a little nervous about taking him #4.

Calvin Johnson - a 26 y/o stud. Finishing at the #1 spot in the receiver position last year probably means he won't be the top WR this year (as there hasn't been a repeat #1 WR for many years). However, if anyone is going to break that trend, I would put my money on Megatron. He may not score in 11 of 16 games again this year....but then again, he could score in 13 of 16 with the pass-happy Lions offense. Although statistics say he won't repeat at the #1 position, I really think he may be the safest pick at #4. You can then take a RB with your 2nd pick (DMac, JCharles, FJax, DMurray, etc.). Any one of those RBs has a chance to be a top 6-7 RB at the end of the year. Having Calvin and one of them is a great way to build a team.

Good luck!

Take Calvin for PPR.

I'm in the exact same position with a draft coming up this Saturday* and I plan to take Rodgers. You can't win your league in the first couple of rounds, but you can darn sure lose it. IMHO, the closest pick there to a "sure thing" is Rodgers.

*Yeah, I know it's early as hell, but it's our 10th year reunion and we're finally able to get the band back together again for a live draft for the first time since 2003. We're a league comprised of military and military retirees. Three of the guys are now teachers, so that limits availability of a live draft to "before school starts". Early or not, I'll take a live draft in Vegas over a "live" draft on the CPU 100% of the time.

I agree...Rodgers is a lock of a pick. One of the few available this season. I dont think #1 overall is too high for him and if I had #1 I would certainly use it on him I think.

Qbs get 1 pt per 25 yards and 4 per TD

RB/WR/TE get 1 per 10, 6 per td, and 1 pt per rec

If Rice, McCoy, or Foster are still there I obviously would grab one of them. This is a big money online league so I dont know anyone's draft tendencies so I am assuming all 3 are gone before it gets to me. Who would you target at the 4 spot? I typically don't take a QB this early unless someone can convince me otherwise, so that leaves me with CJ, Mathews, CJ2K and a few others that I am considering. Who would you take? My gut is telling me Mathews or CJ as things stand right now.

If that happens thank the 1st 3 teams for letting you have Rodgers, easy pick.

Rodgers - Even in a 4 pt per pass TD league, he still lead our league with the same scoring set up in scoring last year. Earlier post makes a great point. This pick won't win the league for you, but it sure could loose it with a bust pick.

If you're not accustomed to drafting a QB this early, start mocking now so you know what to expect.

I would take CJIII and not look back. He is the only one on the board that has #1 overall ability and upside. Rodgers at 4 ????????????????? Megatron - madden curse. I say flip a coin Mathews or CJIII

I have the 4th pick with the same format. I'm planning to take ARod.

Heres my take, the goal of your first round pick is to get a guy that you think will be in the top 5 scoring of their position by the end of the year. Having said that, assuming the big 3 backs are off the board who does that leave?

Matthews - He is my next ranked rb, having said that, I can't say for certain that he will end up in the top 5 of scoring for rbs. After Foster, Mccoy and Rice, I could easily see CJ, Sproles, Matthews, MJD, Mcfadden, and even Forte ending up in the top 5. Hell even Fred Jackson could do it, did you see the numbers he was putting up before injury, he was averaging 21 pts per game through 8 or 9 games. He could end up in the top 5 if he stays healthy.

Megatron - I love him, hes my number 1 ranked WR. You can call me superstitious or stupid, but I just don't like taking guys on the Cover, theres only been like 2 or 3 guys over the last decade to dodge injury after being on it. That makes it an exception, not the rule. I'll pass, especially with WR being so deep this year.

That leaves Mr.Rodgers, barring an injury is there any question he won't end up in the top 3, much less top 5 of scoring by the end of the year? With those weapons, no real run game, pass first mentality. He's the surest thing, maybe even more sure then the big 3 rbs. Took him in the first two years ago and smoked my league, however that was because I had great rbs and wrs in the latter rounds, thats the key. If you go QB that early, you have to nail at least 5 of your next 7 picks. You do that, your golden with AROD pumping out 25-30 a game.

CJ would be my pick

Can't be mad if you took Calvin Johnson

Wouldn't be mad if you took Aaron Rodgers

Would be VERY mad at an Ryan Mattews pick @4