Sign in to follow this  
PistonSteve

Value field on the Overall Tab

Mike - although I've used this great tool for several years now, I seem to have forgotten how the "Value" field is calculated on the "Overall" tab. Can you give a quick overview of how that is calculated and how we best use that information? Thanks

Hi Steve. The Value calculation is a way to compare players across positions, which helps us make the overall rankings. It basically compares the projected fantasy points for each player to a baseline or average player at their position. The baseline is decided by the starters / backups, number of teams in the league, overall ranking method and baseline adjustments. On the overall rankings, find the players who have a Value of zero. Those are your baseline players at each position, because those players' projected fantasy points minus the baseline fantasy points (that players' own projected fantasy points) is zero. Then if you take the projected fantasy points for the first ranked player at a position and deduct the projected fantasy points for the baseline player at that position, that should equal the Value for that player.

I don't find the number itself really means a whole lot. Don't get caught up on positive vs. negative value. It really just helps sort the players across all positions, and you don't have to agree with the overall rankings 100%. It gives us a good overview of how positions are valued for your particular league. That is about as quick an overview as I can give. Does that make sense? Sound familiar? Admittedly, haven't talked about this in a while, so good question.