Sign in to follow this  
Fly Girl

Draft Help

So I've never done fantasy football. I watch football on TV and go to some games occasionally. I know VERY LITTLE about players but can research enough online. I'm doing the Yahoo FF league and draft is Sunday. I need some basic help. I'm going to go for my 2 RB first, then my QB. Then what positions do I try to fill in what order? This is a ten team league. Also what types of players should I put on the bench?

I need

QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, DB, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Not even sure where to start, honestly.

1st of all, don't talk yourself into having to take RB's in the 1st 2 rounds followed by a QB. It all depends on your draft position & the flow of the draft. Take BPA(best player available) & don't panic when a run on a certain position starts.

Skim through some threads on this board & I'm sure you'll find some useful information to help you get started. Good luck!

1st of all, don't talk yourself into having to take RB's in the 1st 2 rounds followed by a QB. It all depends on your draft position & the flow of the draft. Take BPA(best player available) & don't panic when a run on a certain position starts.

Skim through some threads on this board & I'm sure you'll find some useful information to help you get started. Good luck!

That is about as sound advice as you can get. Maybe do a few mock drafts before yuor actual draft just to get your feet wet. Try and make sure you get at least one mock from the front 1/3, mid 1/3 and back 1/3. If you have time do one mock for each of the ten spots. You can alsoi print out the adp sheet in a draft table format on fantasy football calculator site. If you haven't read the Big Boards article on this site, you need to. It gives a really good look at the players and a really good starting point or comparison list. Good Luck.

Along with this, http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php?teams=10

Gives an idea of where players generally are being drafted.

Also, know your league's scoring rules. If a QB gets 6 points per passing TD, their value gets bumped up compared to leagues where they only get 3 or 4 points.

O.K. Fly Girl, here ya go (value targets, if they fall):

Round 1: Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Foster, Rice, McCoy, or Calvin Johnson

Round 2: Graham, McFadden, Chris Johnson, Stafford, Murray, Lynch, Can Newton, or Fitz

Round 3: Matthews, Jones-Drew, Forte, Fred Jackson, Peterson, Julio Jones, Gronkowski

Round 4: Steven Jackson, Charles, Andre Johnson, Jennings, Cruz, Nelson, Roddy White

Round 5: Ryan, Marshall, AJ Green, Nicks, Harvin, J. Nelson, Gates, Welker, Bryant, McGahee

Round 6: Romo, Richardson, Martin, Turner, Colston, P. Manning, Lloyd, Vick

Round 7: R. Bush, Hillis, Tate, E, Manning, Rivers, Decker, Hernandez, Austin, S. Johnson

Round 8: T. Smith, S. Smith, Blackmon, Benson, Green-Ellis, K. Smith, D. Brown, V. Davis

Round 9: Britt, Floyd, Bowe, S. Greene,S. Ridley, Brown, Wallace, D. Williams

Round 10: Cutler, Big Ben, Schaub, M. Bush, Redmann, R. Williams, Garcon, L. Moore

Round 11: D. Thomas, V. Jackson, S. Rice, Maclin, Griffin, Luck, Little, T. Young

Round 12: Pettigrew, R. Wilson, Lafell, Cobb, LeShoure, Dwyer, J. Stewart

Round 13: R. Moss, K. Wright, A. Jeffery, D. Thomas, Keller, Cook, Gerhart

Round 14: Some Defense

Round 15: Some Kicker

The basic principles of BPA take into consideration how many points a player will score compared to others at his position. For the longest time going RB RB was the most common way to win your league. Things have changed recently and there are a multitude of strategies to use. For instance, in 4/5 leagues I have Jimmy Graham. To get him in 3 of the leagues I drafted him in the first round twice and in the second once. The final is in a keeper league where I got him in the 18th. I do not recommend drafting him in the first if you are interested in this route as either him or Gronkowski will be available in the second. The reason taking a TE so early has become popular is because Graham and Gronk score so many more points than the rest of the field at the TE position that it makes them very valuable. If you do not draft either of them I would either grab Gates in the 4th/5th round or just wait all together until later in the draft to get a TE.

Your first pick depends on your scoring format. I prefer to take a top 4 QB in most formats, but if your league allows 6 points per passing TD I believe grabbing a top 4 QB is essential. You also have to consider if your league is point per reception. If this is the case then players who catch more passes become more valuable, like Darren Sproules (I am going to spell his name like this from now on, HAH!).

Of course everyone answering to this thread can only assume you are telling the truth about having female parts, but they may be skeptical you are a dude in disguise hoping to get a quicker and more helpful response. Why you chose "I Am A Girl" is a bit puzzling since you are new to this bored and that really has nothing to do with the information you seek. Considering I know of only 1 other female that posts on here giving the ratio like 400/1 (that is a completely made up ratio just taking a stab at who "regularly" posts on this site, the ratio of overall members is probably more like 10000/1) there are not many female posters who visit. Advertising yourself as such will only entice some to ask for can size and all of the other sizes you can have.

Now even if you titled this thread differently you will still get some honray mofos to be very direct with their questions, but you may have gotten a few more responses related to the topic. Good luck with being a girl on this forearm and welcome to the show.

Thanks everyone for the advice. My league does give 6 points for a TD and thanks Beernut for the TE advice. Stonewall, I'll keep that list handy during the draft, along with the other references people have given.

Beernut, you can rest assured that I'm a girl and I have girl parts and know how to use them. I'm competitive and my sister is also in my league. Don't know why I titled my thread 'I Am a Girl', but I was just trying to get some simple advice for a virgin fantasy footballer, and not waste people's time writing out lengthy responses I couldn't understand. I'm able to keep up on this thread, thankfully. I've learned way too much about FF in the last 24 hours researching online and hopefully it will help me in my league. Some men will always be pigs - I can handle them.

WEIRD, there seem to be some responses missing :dunno:

yet can size not removed? strange?

I think Mike unGFIAFPed the thread

WEIRD, there seem to be some responses missing :dunno:

yet can size not removed? strange?

Maybe a hint of curiosity for EVERYONE? Maybe?

I think Mike unGFIAFPed the thread

:wave: I like a good GFIAFP rant now and then, not like this thread was good for anything more than sheer perverted curiosity anyways

Thanks everyone for the advice. My league does give 6 points for a TD and thanks Beernut for the TE advice. Stonewall, I'll keep that list handy during the draft, along with the other references people have given.

Beernut, you can rest assured that I'm a girl and I have girl parts and know how to use them. I'm competitive and my sister is also in my league. Don't know why I titled my thread 'I Am a Girl', but I was just trying to get some simple advice for a virgin fantasy footballer, and not waste people's time writing out lengthy responses I couldn't understand. I'm able to keep up on this thread, thankfully. I've learned way too much about FF in the last 24 hours researching online and hopefully it will help me in my league. Some men will always be pigs - I can handle them.

Just call me nuts. Also i think i am fairly capable of containing myself but when you say you know how to use your female parts and refer to yourself as a virgin... just sayin.

She said virgin. hehe.

Shutup butthead.

Ok. Seriously, draft using Doug Orth's Updated Big Board that is posted on the FFToday home page. This list takes into account risks, injuries, playing time, etc. He has already done the research for you. And if your draft sucks, blame Doug.

Very important-- Stockpile RBs in your bench spots. Week 1 games will answer a lot of questions about RBs. Then you can decide who is worth keeping.

Do not draft K, DEF, and Def players until the very end.

For IDPs (individual defensive players) you can use your league web site to see how many points each def player had last year using your scoring system. And I like the IDP ranking on this site: http://www.idpguru.com/2012/04/2012-idp-draft-rankings-linebackers.html

Good luck! More chicks should play FF!

I work on Wallstreet and also work as a Fantasy Football Consultant.

I've drafted in leagues where the entry is 10,000. If you need 'real' help, PM me.

My fees depend on the size of your cup...i mean league..

"Can size" has been a staple here since the boards existance. It's just one of those things you get used to hearing.

Anymore, it is pretty easy, and also advantageous, to simply take a "Current" ADP list into the draft with your own targets highlighted. You will then have an idea of when the pins are gonna start to fall. If you keep track of all rosters, you can often times make a educated decision to jump early on a target or possibly float that target till around the turn. I can't over emphasize the importance of tracking ALL teams. Goodluck!

I also take in a trusted sources ranking sheet, tweaked for my tastes, and kind of merge the 2 tools as I draft.

So I've never done fantasy football. I watch football on TV and go to some games occasionally. I know VERY LITTLE about players but can research enough online. I'm doing the Yahoo FF league and draft is Sunday. I need some basic help. I'm going to go for my 2 RB first, then my QB. Then what positions do I try to fill in what order? This is a ten team league. Also what types of players should I put on the bench?

I need

QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, DB, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Is this a money league? If so, I would invest in the Draft Buddy that is sold here on the website. Enter some basic information about your league and let the program calculate the cheetsheets, rankings and values for you. If its not a money league and you want to to RB, RB, QB in your first 3 rounds, you will find that you have no WR depth. I would suggest going RB, WR, QB instead. That way you get a top flight RB, WR, and QB.

"Can size" has been a staple here since the boards existance. It's just one of those things you get used to hearing.

:thumbsup:

Also the phrase "Useless without a pic."

|

|

|

|

J

Fly Girl pulling a fast one on all you boys. But instead of sending this to a little help board everyone is trying to be her hero. Ever cross your mind Fly Girl is really Fly Boy?

Fly Girl pulling a fast one on all you boys. But instead of sending this to a little help board everyone is trying to be her hero. Ever cross your mind Fly Girl is really Fly Boy?

Nothing wrong with helping a damsel in distress.

Besides, I don't think a guy would stoop low enough to talk about his "girl parts" for FF advice.

Thanks babymomma about what to draft last. Exactly what I was looking for.

Wall street. It was a $25 entry fee...wish I could let you draft for me but I'm sure you cost too much.

Thanks all for the advice. And laughs. I'm definately not a guy in disguise.

To whoever changed the title of my thread from 'I'm a Girl' to 'Draft Help'....I don't get it.

To whoever changed the title of my thread from 'I'm a Girl' to 'Draft Help'....I don't get it.

"Draft Help" gets you help, posting "I'm A Girl" gets you can size?, where's your pic? and fishing expedition talk

Draft D last (only draft one), if you can't get top 5 TE wait until end of draft

Best advice: draft the swiftest player available

OK so I've used the PPR big board top 200 in my draft listing. It includes my QB, WR, RB, TE, team DEF, K and I plan to put RBs on my bench or whoever is remaining as top ranking that seems appropriate at the time.

So do I need to draft the following positions too? My yahoo line up says I need to fill them, but why aren't they in the big board? W/T, W/R, D, DB, DL

OK so I've used the PPR big board top 200 in my draft listing. It includes my QB, WR, RB, TE, team DEF, K and I plan to put RBs on my bench or whoever is remaining as top ranking that seems appropriate at the time.

So do I need to draft the following positions too? My yahoo line up says I need to fill them, but why aren't they in the big board? W/T, W/R, D, DB, DL

I have never played in a yahoo league personally, so I am not sure how they work it. If your lineup says you need to draft those positions, I am guessing you have to. As far as why they are not there on your board, I have no ideal why. Rb's are key to the success of your tea. Wr's cna be drafted later on. They are dime a dozen. Gotta find some sleepers in thier as well. That helps. Get some big time Rb's in your first early picks, then you will be set. Not many good Rb's around after the 1st 2 rounds.

Fly Girl

View All.

Round

Pick

Player

Position

(7)

Tom Brady

QB

(14)

DeMarco Murray

RB

(27)

Darren Sproles

RB

(34)

Antonio Gates

TE

(47)

Doug Martin

RB

(54)

Eric Decker

WR

(67)

Torrey Smith

WR

(74)

Tony Romo

QB

(87)

Kevin Smith

RB

(94)

Rashad Jennings

RB

(107)

Nate Washington

WR

(114)

C.J. Spiller

RB

(127)

Stevan Ridley

RB

(134)

Michael Crabtree

WR

(147)

Houston

DEF

(154)

Kendall Wright

WR

(167)

Matt Bryant

K

(174)

Eric Weddle

S

(187)

Kyle Rudolph

TE

(194)

Bryan McCann

CB

(207)

Brandon LaFell

WR

(214)

Trevor Scott

LB,DE

Fly Girl

View All.

Round

Pick

Player

Position

(7)

Tom Brady

QB

(14)

DeMarco Murray

RB

(27)

Darren Sproles

RB

(34)

Antonio Gates

TE

(47)

Doug Martin

RB

(54)

Eric Decker

WR

(67)

Torrey Smith

WR

(74)

Tony Romo

QB

(87)

Kevin Smith

RB

(94)

Rashad Jennings

RB

(107)

Nate Washington

WR

(114)

C.J. Spiller

RB

(127)

Stevan Ridley

RB

(134)

Michael Crabtree

WR

(147)

Houston

DEF

(154)

Kendall Wright

WR

(167)

Matt Bryant

K

(174)

Eric Weddle

S

(187)

Kyle Rudolph

TE

(194)

Bryan McCann

CB

(207)

Brandon LaFell

WR

(214)

Trevor Scott

LB,DE

You have yourself a good set of Rb's. Murray if heathly is a stud. Martin is going to be a nice player too. He will be hard to gage from week to week. Love the Sproles pick and I have Smith on my team. I think he is a big time sleeper. You got Brady and he is one of the best Qb's to get. A little thin at the Wr spot but that's not too bad. Decker is going to be the #1 target of Manning this year. Love Smith to be Flacco's main guy. Washington is a good pick, if Britt is healthy all year, he will take some touches away from him.

Gates is a good player as is Rudolph. I liked him late in the draft but couldn't pull the trigger on him. He might be a nice late rd pick. From top to bottom it would appear you have yourself a nice well rounded team there. Some nice youngs players as well. Wright from Tennessee is someone to keep your eye on as the season progresses. I wish you luck in your season.