Sign in to follow this  
nikki2200

Recruiters - Looking for a New Job

So I'm looking for a new consulting gig again and I've sent a few resumes out to job postings. Every headhunter that calls me is Indian and I can't focking understand a word they are saying. I have to say "excuse me?" about 8 times during the conversation. It's probably because I haven't worked in a year so I'm not around Indian accents anymore and I lost my ability to understand what they are saying.

So annoying though. I'm trying to communicate with someone about a potential job opportunity and I can't do it. LMB? MLB? ABC? What did you just ask me???

On a side note... why do we apparently still have all these H1Bs when unemployment is so high? WHY?

So I'm looking for a new consulting gig again and I've sent a few resumes out to job postings. Every headhunter that calls me is Indian and I can't focking understand a word they are saying. I have to say "excuse me?" about 8 times during the conversation. It's probably because I haven't worked in a year so I'm not around Indian accents anymore and I lost my ability to understand what they are saying.

So annoying though. I'm trying to communicate with someone about a potential job opportunity and I can't do it. LMB? MLB? ABC? What did you just ask me???

On a side note... why do we apparently still have all these H1Bs when unemployment is so high? WHY?

Put a dot on your forehead. It's like majic. And you have a dot on your head.

I put my resume on monster for the 1st time in nearly 5 years last Friday.

Saturday at noon I get a call from some injun, can't understand a focking word. finally find out how much the rate is. i say its not enough, Im not interested. Calls me back 7 times between saturday and sunday. :mad:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/it-jobs/tech-companies-claim-more-h-1b-visas-will-fill-it-labor-gap-211929

The proposed legislation is reminiscent of proposals Microsoft made last year in a report titled "A National Talent Strategy: Ideas for Securing U.S. Competitiveness and Growth" (PDF). In it, the software giant called on the feds to issue 20,000 more H-1B visas and 20,000 additional green cards per year to help fill what it sees as an IT talent gap, stemming from a shortage of skilled tech workers. Microsoft's plan also suggested that the fees go toward improving STEM education at the kindergarten through college level.

My ass.

It should say:

to help fill what it sees as an IT talent gap, stemming from a shortage of skilled cheap tech workers.

Do you yell at them and then laugh with your boyfriend about how bad the customer service people have it?

I'm getting more and more pissed off. I'm going to turn into GFIAFP.

"It's critical that America address the shortage of workers with science, technology, engineering, and math skills. There are high-skilled, high-paying jobs being created by American businesses across the country that are being left unfilled because of this gap, said Microsoft General Counsel and Executive VP Brad Smith. "The country's economic and technology leadership are dependent on improving STEM education and implementing broader immigration reform."

Are you FOCKING KIDDING ME????

I know at least three kids that just graduated from college with engineering degrees who can't find jobs.

What's the focking unemployment rate again???

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:hyper:

Who wants to hold the Nikki sign?

I know at least three kids that just graduated from college with engineering degrees who can't find jobs.

I have no degree and I have too many people calling/emailing me.

I've been passively looking for a bit, I have a degree in math and my MBA.. Been getting some low ball offers but haven't talked to a guy from India

I've been passively looking for a bit, I have a degree in math and my MBA.. Been getting some low ball offers but haven't talked to a guy from India

I'm in IT as well, and I'm not getting the Indian guys either. Just people looking for piles of skills but only wanting to pay what guys with much smaller piles of skills make.

I call BS. I have a friend who just graduated from college with an engineering degree in December. He has had 4 interviews, and he currently has 2 job offers on the table and he is trying to decide between them.

I graduated with an engineering degree during the height of the recession and still found a good paying job in my field within 2 months.

If an engineer is unable to find a job it is because they are not trying to look for a job.

In the current job I am in, they found me through an Indian headhunter, who just called me out of the blue. I told them they could have gone onto Monster and saved a lot of money.

HEY JERRYSKIDS! Didn't you graduate from MIT? You should call Microsoft. They are telling Congress they have all these high paying jobs they can't fill with US citizens because people in the US have no math/science/engineering skills. Wanna work for Microsoft? They're a pretty good company right? Give 'em a call.

:overhead:

I know I'm being OTT but this shiit pisses me off. The last actually company I was an employee of was clearly pushing us out (the US citizens) to bring over a bunch of H1Bs from India and pay them half of what they were paying us.

I call BS. I have a friend who just graduated from college with an engineering degree in December. He has had 4 interviews, and he currently has 2 job offers on the table and he is trying to decide between them.

I graduated with an engineering degree during the height of the recession and still found a good paying job in my field within 2 months.

If an engineer is unable to find a job it is because they are not trying to look for a job.

Petroleum or chemical engineers-write your own ticket.

Civil engineers-get in line. Not a ton of infrastructure improvements/devrlopment going on.

It's probably some BS like they'd only accept a job in a certain city, in a certain small field, making over a certain amount of money, with certain opportunities for career advancement, etc., etc.

You gotta go where the jobs are in today's economy. Or be prepared to fight tooth and nail if you're only willing to stay in a certain area or specialized field.

I have no degree and I have too many people calling/emailing me.

You have a lot of experience though. That's the problem. These companies do not want to invest in new college grads anymore and give them training to build them into a skilled worker when they can import a whole bunch of Indians for a much lower cost.

I'm in IT as well, and I'm not getting the Indian guys either. Just people looking for piles of skills but only wanting to pay what guys with much smaller piles of skills make.

THIS!!!

It's probably a regional thing. You are in an area and field that is booming right now. Getting jobs straight out of college on the east coast isn't very easy. At least not like it was back when I graduated. Most kids I know that have graduated (cousins, children of co-workers, etc.) definitely spend some time at home not working before they can find anything. They'll eventually find jobs but what I am calling BS on is this SHORTAGE OF TALENT IN MATH AND SCIENCES SO WE MUST RAISE THE CAP ON H1Bs.

just had another recruiter call me.

every job is in Boston or Burlington. i want one closer to home.

just had another recruiter call me.

every job is in Boston or Burlington. i want one closer to home.

I shouldn't be b1tching because it appears this woman I can't understand is about to find me a job in the exact 10 mile radius I want to work in and it took me all of 10 minutes worth of effort.

You have a lot of experience though. That's the problem. These companies do not want to invest in new college grads anymore and give them training to build them into a skilled worker when they can import a whole bunch of Indians for a much lower cost.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2241200/vmware-facebook-and-microsoft-pay-interns-usd6-000-a-month

:huh:

I know I'm being OTT but this shiit pisses me off. The last actually company I was an employee of was clearly pushing us out (the US citizens) to bring over a bunch of H1Bs from India and pay them half of what they were paying us.

And then their visa runs out, they go back home and live like kings with the money they earned here, then send their cousins back here to take over their last job. A never ending cycle.

It's probably a regional thing. You are in an area and field that is booming right now. Getting jobs straight out of college on the east coast isn't very easy. At least not like it was back when I graduated. Most kids I know that have graduated (cousins, children of co-workers, etc.) definitely spend some time at home not working before they can find anything. They'll eventually find jobs but what I am calling BS on is this SHORTAGE OF TALENT IN MATH AND SCIENCES SO WE MUST RAISE THE CAP ON H1Bs.

No... I graduated from an area that had above average unemployment.

I looked at my options and applied for jobs in Texas. I dont want to live in Texas, but in the long term finding a job is more important.

People from the east coast can easily apply for jobs in Texas, Nebraska, OK, North Dakota, etc. It is their problem if they do not want to move where the jobs are.

And then their visa runs out, they go back home and live like kings with the money they earned here, then send their cousins back here to take over their last job. A never ending cycle.

It's not even their visas. It's their long term plan. I mean I'm not trying to be racist here. I've had a lot of really close friends that are Indians because I've worked with them so much since the early 2000s when they started coming over here in droves. But 9 times out of 10 (with the people I am friends with) their long term plan is to work here for about 10 years living extremely modestly, save a few hundred thousand dollars, and then go back to India and live like royalty for the rest of their lives. More power to them. That's a great idea. HOWEVER with the current state of affairs of unemployment in this country, this is probably not the wisest practice to be encouraging. I mean how does anyone in Congress say with a straight face that there is a shortage of talent in the US therefore we need to raise the cap on allowed Visas? RIGHT NOW? Are you kidding me???

I mean this woman who I talked to on the phone earlier very clearly has recently come to the US from India. Are we literally saying there is not one US citizen that can sit there, review a resume, make a few phone calls, and send a couple of e-mails? I have an uncle out of work right now who would kill for a job like that. The thing is... a lot of these headhunting companies now are actually Indian companies. So their employees aren't even H1Bs. The are L1 transfers. Who knows how many L1s are out there floating around. This stuff just gets me POed.

Come be a pipe fitter. Though i think wimmens shouldnt be in construction because they usually suck ass at it, my local is required ti have a certain number of wimmens so they dont file lawsuits claiming its unfair to not hire them to do jack shlt all day. Then when you do fire them they file more lawsuits condeming the contractor for firing the worst person on the job.

Also, you cant say bad words around them because they are sensitive and apparently the word "######" or "pvssy" really really hurt their feelings. Fock i hate wimmen in construction.

Now in the office, thats a different story. Always nice to see a piece of decent ass when you have to go to the office.

It's not even their visas. It's their long term plan. I mean I'm not trying to be racist here. I've had a lot of really close friends that are Indians because I've worked with them so much since the early 2000s when they started coming over here in droves. But 9 times out of 10 (with the people I am friends with) their long term plan is to work here for about 10 years living extremely modestly, save a few hundred thousand dollars, and then go back to India and live like royalty for the rest of their lives. More power to them. That's a great idea. HOWEVER with the current state of affairs of unemployment in this country, this is probably not the wisest practice to be encouraging. I mean how does anyone in Congress say with a straight face that there is a shortage of talent in the US therefore we need to raise the cap on allowed Visas? RIGHT NOW? Are you kidding me???

I mean this woman who I talked to on the phone earlier very clearly has recently come to the US from India. Are we literally saying there is not one US citizen that can sit there, review a resume, make a few phone calls, and send a couple of e-mails? I have an uncle out of work right now who would kill for a job like that. The thing is... a lot of these headhunting companies now are actually Indian companies. So their employees aren't even H1Bs. The are L1 transfers. Who knows how many L1s are out there floating around. This stuff just gets me POed.

I'm sure the ACLU has your back on this one. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was looking through postings a few weeks ago and saw a Linux job where they were looking for 0-2 years of experience and paying 60K.

To me, having experience isn't all it's cracked up to be these days because they aren't paying the high end jobs enough. It's hard to find a job making a lot more than double that 60K job, but they certainly want way more than twice as much skill for those jobs. Over the last year and a half I've added about 7 highly recognizable certs, but it doesn't seem that anyone actually wants to reward me for those skills, including my present employer. Starting up something on the side as a result and hoping to get out of this BS system.

Who wants to hold the Nikki sign?

Will I catch herpes from it? :unsure:

HEY JERRYSKIDS! Didn't you graduate from MIT? You should call Microsoft. They are telling Congress they have all these high paying jobs they can't fill with US citizens because people in the US have no math/science/engineering skills. Wanna work for Microsoft? They're a pretty good company right? Give 'em a call.

You obviously don't have anything special to offer a future employer. What have you been doing the last year? It looks like you haven't been improving your job skills. :nono:

You obviously don't have anything special to offer a future employer. What have you been doing the last year? It looks like you haven't been improving your job skills. :nono:

Even if you do, they still aren't paying. Why bust your ass to acquire better skills when people aren't even going to pay you what that effort was worth? Over that space I have added VCP, VCP-Cloud, VCP-Desktop, CCNA and CCNP, CCNA Voice, RHCSA, and CISSP. I'll have the VCAP-DCD within a couple of weeks. I've been adding a new cert like every other month. Does that get me a big raise? Of course not. Once someone actually wants to pay some coin for these skills, I'll be done with my present employer. But right now the market seems flooded with people trying to take advantage of people on this end of the skill spectrum and get them for peanuts.

The work ethic of to many young Americans sucks. They feel entitled and that life owes them a job. They want a job but don’t want to work. Employers are just getting sick of it.

I found that employees that were here on visas were hard working and very dependable. They made my job easier. :dunno:

What in the world does this have to do with me getting a job? I've been looking for approximately 24 hours. I voluntarily took one year off and lived off of my savings. I did not decide to spend the rest of my life sucking off of the government teet.

Shut up.

Even if you do, they still aren't paying. Why bust your ass to acquire better skills when people aren't even going to pay you what that effort was worth? Over that space I have added VCP, VCP-Cloud, VCP-Desktop, CCNA and CCNP, CCNA Voice, RHCSA, and CISSP. I'll have the VCAP-DCD within a couple of weeks. I've been adding a new cert like every other month. Does that get me a big raise? Of course not. Once someone actually wants to pay some coin for these skills, I'll be done with my present employer. But right now the market seems flooded with people trying to take advantage of people on this end of the skill spectrum and get them for peanuts.

You're crazy. Didn't you see the article I posted. They can't find any tech skills or talent anywhere in the US!!!!

That's rich, coming from our resident welfare loafer

The work ethic of to many young Americans sucks. They feel entitled and that life owes them a job. They want a job but don’t want to work. Employers are just getting sick of it.

I found that employees that were here on visas were hard working and very dependable. They made my job easier. :dunno:

:rolleyes:

Correct, right now it is an employer's market and it doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon.

I've found that the pay scale doesn't reward hard work because the people in HR and doing the hiring are very lazy. It's too hard to figure out who works hard and what that's worth, so they go about it the lazy way and try and use things like industry averages and normalized pay increases across the company. Why should someone bust their ass for 4% when you give everybody 3% no matter what? Doing as little as possible to get by gives the best work to reward ratio.

Correct, right now it is an employer's market and it doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon.

So in the meantime, I'm working as little as possible on things that advance their goals and spending my efforts advancing mine. No one will can me, because where else are you going to find this skill set when you actually need it? Besides, I'm doing the minimum, just like everyone else. And even assuming they do, I'll find another job that will be as unrewarding pretty easily. It's not that my skills aren't in demand, it's just that people are too lazy to spend time recognizing and rewarding talent properly.

So in the meantime, I'm working as little as possible on things that advance their goals and spending my efforts advancing mine. No one will can me, because where else are you going to find this skill set when you actually need it? Besides, I'm doing the minimum, just like everyone else. And even assuming they do, I'll find another job that will be as unrewarding pretty easily. It's not that my skills aren't in demand, it's just that people are too lazy to spend time recognizing and rewarding talent properly.

This has always been a problem that is why you have to make your own "splash" so everyone in the company knows who you are and what you do. You have to make people need you. Slacking off is not going to get you that and poor work habits are hard to break.

Most off my job offers came from "word of mouth" recommendations from people who had worked with me. I have been out of the job market since 2009 and still got a couple of good offers last year.

This has always been a problem that is why you have to make your own "splash" so everyone in the company knows who you are and what you do. You have to make people need you. Slacking off is not going to get you that and poor work habits are hard to break.

Most off my job offers came from "word of mouth" recommendations from people who had worked with me. I have been out of the job market since 2009 and still got a couple of good offers last year.

Working hard to advance your own goals isn't slacking, it's simply a better allocation of your resources if employers aren't willing to adequately pay you to advance theirs.

Well yeah, I did graduate from MIT. I don't want to work at Microsoft though.

You might not have been around at the time (last November), but I'm doing consulting helping clients with "people data." Basically using human analytics to help hire, retain, train, lead, etc. Fascinating stuff, and I'm very tied into the things being discussed in this thread.

One of the main things we do is to help companies hire when they can't find the ideal skill set. We identify who has the right natural behaviors for the job, and we also identify who has the learning agility to come up to speed fast. This approach shifts the focus from having the exact certifications (for example) to who will be a better long-term fit.

I had lunch yesterday with an IT manager at a large tech company. She is trying to hire two fresh-outs and, in her words, she is amazed at the crappiness of the resumes. She asked if colleges these days are giving any guidance on how to write them. She also was amazed that people graduating with CS degrees didn't seem to have basic experience in DB work; everything she sees is "web development."

I'm not that tied into the IT industry specifically, but I will say that there is a lack of technical people in the US, and over time there will be an increasing lack of qualified people for a lot of jobs. Boomers are starting to retire and are doing so at an alarming rate, and we as a country aren't replacing the bodies (thanks edjr) in the employment pipeline. Basically there are a lot of jobs out there and companies are having a hard time filling them with capable people. This is good for my business.