Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

First Non Official FFToday Mock Draft Discussion

You must not have noticed the games he played when FJax was out. He was week in-week out #1/#2RB those games. It was unreal they re-installed RBBC again after FJax got healthy. The new coaching staff won't make that mistake.

Obviously, I'm very high on Spiller this year. I think seven will be a huge discount over where he'll go next year.

As for Morris, it's PPR. And Rice is going the other way that Spiller is ... towards RBBC, not out of it.

Well said re: Spiller justification. He could be the steal of the draft, despite going in the first round. The biggest question is, can Kevin Kolb stay healthy and lead this offense? And if Kolb gets hurt...which he has shown a propensity for... who is under center?

someone get a leash on weepaws

In this mock draft, I decided to resurrect the oldest fantasy football strategy in the world, just to see if it still has some relativity. The "RB/RB" strategy to begin a draft. It's been a few years since I've used this strategy so we'll see if it pays off.

Alfred Morris began catching more passes as the season rolled along but I'd be a little more confident in the selection if RGIII was definitely the Week 1 starter for the Redskins. The only other player I was contemplating with the 2.2 pick was Brandon Marshall. I can't remember seeing a quarterback completely lock onto a single wide receiver as much as Jay Cutler did with "Baby TO" in 2012.

Oh well, I'm just looking forward to more of weepaws 6-team league analysis on this draft. Good stuff!

Took Dez Bryant at 2.03. Would've taken Alfred Morris if he was there. Thought about taking B Marshall but it was Dez's nearly 20pts/gm over the last 8 gms last year which was the deciding factor.

Took Dez Bryant at 2.03. Would've taken Alfred Morris if he was there. Thought about taking B Marshall but it was Dez's nearly 20pts/gm over the last 8 gms last year which was the deciding factor.

I wanted Dez. sob...

lot of WR's flying off the board. more than i expected with .5 ppr only and how deep the position is. but none of the picks have really been reaches

edit: after a few RB's fall, i'll take one of my man crushes. Julio Jones. 2 other WR's could be drafted this high but i trust Julio's situation more. And i expect his development to continue into magic year 3.

at the moment my WR rankings are

T1 Calvin

T2 Marshall

Dez

AJ Green

Julio

XXX

XXX

I think it's funny that I selected Alfred Morris, whom Buford wanted. Then Buford selected Dez with the next pick, whom Polecatt wanted. Then Polecatt selected Brandon Marshall, whom I wanted & should've selected in hindsight. I guess our rankings/needs were all very similar at the beginning of the 2nd round.

Good pace so far. Cant complain or over criticize any picks as of yet. The run on wide receivers is what I expected to happen after the 1st round completed. I'm curious to see what kind of talent will be available when the draft comes back around at the 3/4 turn.

It'll probably slow down today due to Easter but that's all right. Everyone should be spending time with their families today anyways. Happy Easter fellas!

Good draft so far ! Happy Easter !!

Agreed picks are generally going well. Solid players are being taken.

As we near the end of round 2 and an Easter lull in the action, my thoughts so far:

- Ray Rice falling to 10th is a shocker to me. I know people are worried about Pierce but I think we have seen what Rice can do for more than 1 year. So I am mildly surprised he fell that far past guys like Martin and T-Rich.

- Speaking of T-Rich, 4th overall is a mild surprise just because the guy has already shown as a rookie to get dinged up pretty quickly and does not play in a dynamic offense.

- the back end of round 1 is a nice place to pick if you think there is a dropoff after the first few picks of round 2. I don't think there is but its certainly nice to grab a player like McCoy, consensus top 5 in 2012 at pick 11 :shocking:

- i just can't get on the Alf Morris train. just doesn't excite me. Certainly produced last year and .5 ppr rather than a full point lessens the negative impact of his relative absence in the passing game.... so far Alf in the early 2nd is probably my least favorite pick.

- nothing too shocking in round 2. round 3 should get real interesting.

I love Roddy White. Honestly...he's just consistency at it's finest. The run on wide receivers was expected and with Thomas (Den) off the board I had Roddy White as the last player in that tier.

I've only had Brady one time. The year he blew out his knee. I could do a lot worse and for the middle rounds I'll plan on getting some undervalued backs and receivers.

The three receiver slots does make having a great receiving corps paramount and I almost went back to back, but late round fliers emerge almost every season at receiver. I just need to hit on one and limit my third slot to consistency.

s-jax was on my short list for round 3. nice selection

So Crabtree went at 3.3. How much does he rise between now and say the first day of September?

As we near the end of round 2 and an Easter lull in the action, my thoughts so far:

- Ray Rice falling to 10th is a shocker to me. I know people are worried about Pierce but I think we have seen what Rice can do for more than 1 year. So I am mildly surprised he fell that far past guys like Martin and T-Rich.

- Speaking of T-Rich, 4th overall is a mild surprise just because the guy has already shown as a rookie to get dinged up pretty quickly and does not play in a dynamic offense.

- the back end of round 1 is a nice place to pick if you think there is a dropoff after the first few picks of round 2. I don't think there is but its certainly nice to grab a player like McCoy, consensus top 5 in 2012 at pick 11 :shocking:

- i just can't get on the Alf Morris train. just doesn't excite me. Certainly produced last year and .5 ppr rather than a full point lessens the negative impact of his relative absence in the passing game.... so far Alf in the early 2nd is probably my least favorite pick.

- nothing too shocking in round 2. round 3 should get real interesting.

Why are you so down on Martin? He put up tons of points last year and his O-Line will be more healthy this year. Martin is #3 to me, right where he belonged. Far less mileage and already significantly outperformed Rice last year and also has no Pierce to worry about. I'd take him with great enthusiasm ahead of Rice.

With Rice, Pierce got more snaps/handoffs towards the end of the season and he more importantly, he did well with the handoffs he got. The guy's not going away, if anything he deserves more carries, he's earned them and they'll have to come at Rice's expense. Rice is older, they'll want to rest him. He'll make a Frank Gore-type departure from next year's first round. I'm letting somebody else draft him.

Agree that T-Rich at 4 is too high. Also, I don't think we'll see Morris on 3rd downs this year. He's lost in the passing game, he got those snaps because everybody else was gimpy.

Four picks away and three that I super want more than others ... isn't that so typical? Please let at least one slide fellas.

Four picks away and three that I super want more than others ... isn't that so typical? Please let at least one slide fellas.

Harvin was the top of that list. :wall: Bye.

Why are you so down on Martin? He put up tons of points last year and his O-Line will be more healthy this year. Martin is #3 to me, right where he belonged. Far less mileage and already significantly outperformed Rice last year and also has no Pierce to worry about. I'd take him with great enthusiasm ahead of Rice.

im not "so down" on martin.. i said i was mildly surprised. just not really into him yet at 3rd overall. he outscored Rice by less than 30 last year and thats with Rice basically not playing week 17.

Rice is 26 years old. im not yet worried about the mileage. i suppose i can see the case for drafting either guy but im likely to take the guy i know won't have the sophomore slump. Something to consider with Martin is that his week 9 and to a lesser degree weeks 8+9 were a fairly significant outlier in his per game stats.

DMC - im sure this pick will have its share of scrutiny. deservedly so. I have a group of backs rated about the same so i simply picked the guy i feel is most dynamic. he tears his labia each year but gone is the zone scheme that held him back in 2012 and it sounds as if Dennis Allen and the Raiders plan to build around him.

He is basically a more talented Demarco Murray at this point in the draft.

RUN DMC nice pick.

it sounds as if Dennis Allen and the Raiders plan to build around him.

Unless they're planning on building a leg formed from Robocop, McFadden is a DND for me

Unless they're planning on building a leg formed from Robocop, McFadden is a DND for me

that would be pretty awesome. being that its a mock draft i feel fine taking him in the 3rd. Normally I might pass and in hindsight I would have drafted S-Jax in round 2. So i'm going boom or bust in the 3rd with a guy capable of being a top 5 back when on the field.

that would be pretty awesome. being that its a mock draft i feel fine taking him in the 3rd. Normally I might pass and in hindsight I would have drafted S-Jax in round 2. So i'm going boom or bust in the 3rd with a guy capable of being a top 5 back when on the field.

I definitely agree with the logic. And quite frankly a different offensive philosophy might be just what the doctor ordered. If he can stay healthy, picking a guy like him up in the 3rd round is just plain silly and said team would more than likely be playoff bound from the get-go.

I definitely agree with the logic. And quite frankly a different offensive philosophy might be just what the doctor ordered. If he can stay healthy, picking a guy like him up in the 3rd round is just plain silly and said team would more than likely be playoff bound from the get-go.

yes. i dont know how much i buy it but it has to be a good sign that they are going back to the north south run style and away from the zone blocking scheme. they recognize it did not play to DMC's strength.

I love doing these mock drafts. Nothing wrong with selecting the wrong player now. Especially if it helps you make the right choice the end of August early September.

At 3.12, I couldn't pass on V-Jax. I am not a huge fan, but he should be a top 10 WR. AJ Green and V-Jax will make a nice 1, 2 punch at WR. I almost went with another WR or TE at 4.1, but I couldn't bring myself to get through 4 rounds without a RB. Reggie should see his receptions go up this year and will face a lot less 8 in the box in Detroit. I am happy with getting him in round 4.

taking

so

long....

In the age of techonlogy where you can make a draft pick from your phone while taking a dump I was hoping we'd be a bit quicker but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

In the age of techonlogy where you can make a draft pick from your phone while taking a dump I was hoping we'd be a bit quicker but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

I haven't done a draft in a chat forum since 1999. We should be using a site. Actually, I knew better and I should have said something before we started but since you'd mentioned a site so I just assumed we'd do that. I was caught by surprise a bit then didn't want to step on your toes. I did that last year when TBBOM wanted to draft Twelve Geeks in the forums... no, No NO NO! NOOOO!!!

It's not too late to switch. I could set up a MFL site and enter all picks from this point.

Mulls thoughts on speeding this beast up:

This is a slow draft by nature but in the age of smart phones I am hoping that people can find a few minutes to check the site a bit more frequently.

If I was your draft advisor I would recommend checking when you wake up, once at lunch, once after work and once before bed. It will take just take a few minutes and keep us on some type of pace.

This goes out to no one in particular but we should be able to average out more than a round a day.

Especially for people picking at the turn, but for anyone really, I am happy to help make picks for you. Feel free to PM your top 5 or whatever it might be.

Additionally you can text me anytime.

If I had I my druthers we would each have each others cell phones and send a text when we are on the clock to each other but I digress.

I haven't done a draft in a chat forum since 1999. We should be using a site. Actually, I knew better and I should have said something before we started but since you'd mentioned a site so I just assumed we'd do that. I was caught by surprise a bit then didn't want to step on your toes. I did that last year when TBBOM wanted to draft Twelve Geeks in the forums... no, No NO NO! NOOOO!!!

It's not too late to switch. I could set up a MFL site and enter all picks from this point.

I am totally game with getting your help to set up an MFL site for the draft. I think that would be super cool.

I can't imagine anyone would be opposed unless it's just something else they would have to check.

I say move ahead. I can email your current rosters or anything if you need help.

Sorry fellas, I checked the draft this morning before I went to work. Just checked in on my lunch hour & saw throttlers made his picks right after I checked in this morning. Sorry for the hold up.

I am totally game with getting your help to set up an MFL site for the draft. I think that would be super cool.

I can't imagine anyone would be opposed unless it's just something else they would have to check.

I say move ahead. I can email your current rosters or anything if you need help.

http://www9.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/68390#0

It should be fully functional in about 30 minutes. As an added bonus, it'll keep track of how we did all year if you want to come back and check on it in December but we can't do any waiver moves. It's a free service.

Your password is 'team' and your draft location: team01 team02

http://www9.myfantasyleague.com/2013/home/68390#0

It should be fully functional in about 30 minutes. As an added bonus, it'll keep track of how we did all year if you want to come back and check on it in December but we can't do any waiver moves. It's a free service.

Your password is 'team' and your draft location: team01 team02

I couldn't quite hear you. New yearly FFtoday redraft league? 50 dollar buy in? Oh ok. :)

Excellent work!! :cheers:

it should be OK now. We can preselect to move things faster. There's a chat function.

I didn't put in scoring or starting lineup stuff yet. Just loaded team names, passwords, and filed out the draft.

I'm on deck, my picks are pre-selected in the site. This means when CStriker enters picks, mine will be made automatically at the same time and go on to Matt's turn immediatly.

We can put in contact info there and it's blocked from folks not participating. Make sure top change your team password.

Damn, I wanted Cruz badly. I had the next six or seven names under his scratched off. :pointstosky:

sorry guys give me a few minutes to see who has been taken. been sick all day