Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Sleepers - Who you got?

I was thinking it would be cool if we could just talk about one guy at a time, and then move on to another one, but I know that's never going to happen. That being said, please don't just list a player, tell us why you think he will be undervalued in most drafts.

I'll start.

Brandon Myers, TE, NYG

Like Peyton, Eli has a way of making any TE look good. Last year, Myers showed that he can put up big numbers in one game, and in a situation where the DBs have to cover Cruz and Nicks, plus defend the run, I see him getting plenty of opportunities this year. I think his floor is really low, barring injury and his ceiling is a top 5 TE.

I really like the Bengal's rookie back, Gfiafp Bernard.

In all honesty I'm not impressed by a top 10 TE. After the first couple they all have similar low scoring in non ppr. Now if Cameron can crack the top five I will be interested.

exactly.

if you dont get a top 5 te, might as well wait till after you get your kicker and defense.

TY Hilton's ADP is climbing.

Heyward-Bey looks to be more involved than I had expected. Still like TY but I'm starting to wonder if there's enough to targets to go around. Although Luck is going to be throwing it 40 times a game since the Colts can't run to save their lives.

Wonder what Cameron's ADP will rise to. Could see him being the the 4th or 5th TE off the board at this point.

Wonder what Cameron's ADP will rise to. Could see him being the the 4th or 5th TE off the board at this point.

I'd take him over Cook.

Just like all rookies, he's an unknown commodity. We know what we are getting with Cook, who underperforms every damn year. I remember when Colston was a rookie, I was playing on Yahoo and picked him up as a "WR/TE" and then just plugged him into my TE slot ... that was so awesome ... getting to play a WR as my TE.

Jordan Cameron could be that next guy. Effectively, a really tall, big, strong, WR ... see: Jimmy Graham. Rookies, I think often go too early. There is too much romance, in snagging that one, unknown guy. I drafted Alfred Morris in my auction draft last year for one dollar. That's about the level of risk I am willing to take on an unknown guy.

I really think Gio Bernard is the best poised to break out, particularly in a PPR league ... but I am not the only one in my draft who knows about Gio ... so, I'm prolly gonna let someone else overpay for an unproven rookie.

I like Ty Hilton...but his hype has built pretty high. In my auction he went ahead of jordy, mike wallace, decker, torey smith, Hakeem nikcs, djax, steve smith, jennings, garcon,and stevie johnson. Now he may end up being better than most these guys, but he was hardly a steal

I like Ty Hilton...but his hype has built pretty high. In my auction he went ahead of jordy, mike wallace, decker, torey smith, Hakeem nikcs, djax, steve smith, jennings, garcon,and stevie johnson. Now he may end up being better than most these guys, but he was hardly a steal

That's outrageous inflation...there are at least 6 guys on that list I'd take all day ahead of Hilton.

Daniel Thomas. I don't care about the flaming, but I'm not convinced that Lamar Miller is all that. Call it gut if you'd like, but I don't think Miller lives up to the hype and billing, and Thomas is going to be more valuable by far than the undrafted free agent status he currently looks to hold.

Daniel Thomas. I don't care about the flaming, but I'm not convinced that Lamar Miller is all that. Call it gut if you'd like, but I don't think Miller lives up to the hype and billing, and Thomas is going to be more valuable by far than the undrafted free agent status he currently looks to hold.

I am telling you this for you own good, don't think of Thomas as any threat of taking anything away from Miller. He sucks, plain and simple. Even if he is the starting RB because of an injury to Miller, and you could guarantee bell cow touches, I would be skeptical in starting him unless it was against the most porous run defense in the league.

I'm gonna grab Justin Blackmon in most drafts if I can late. I think people are really overthinking him missing a couple games.

I've been thinking the same thing, I'd like to get him and Josh Gordon as maybe my #4/#5 WR's and just wait.

I've been thinking the same thing, I'd like to get him and Josh Gordon as maybe my #4/#5 WR's and just wait.

I own one or both on most of my teams. I don't mind sitting them until their suspensions end and both could serve as WR3's or a flex.

I own one or both on most of my teams. I don't mind sitting them until their suspensions end and both could serve as WR3's or a flex.

yeah, it' s different than gambling on players returning from injury, because the suspended guys get the benefit of training camp and stay in shape.

Reuben Randle to me is an excellent sleeper as last or next to last WR to draft. He'll get catches as the 3rd WR in NY and if Nicks goes down AGAIN, he could be gold. I actually got him on waivers a week ago to replace Alexander when he got hurt.

Another is Josh Gordon. People are scared because of his suspension, but I'd take him as my 4th WR and take the 2 games out for the huge upside.

Josh Gordon ssshhhhhhh he could be a stud.

Josh Gordon ssshhhhhhh he could be a stud.

More so than anything is if Weeden can look as good when the games count as he is in the preseason. Personally...I'm tapering my expectations on both Cameron and Gordon due largely in part bc I flat out don't think Weeden is a sustainable NFL starting quarterback

I'll throw up some other sleepers and would like to hear feedback...

QB

Carson Palmer

Jay Cutler

RB

Joseph Randle -- if Demarco Murry can't stay healthy

Mark Ingram

Vick Ballard

Daryl Richardson

WR

Vincent Brown

Reuben Randle

Chris Givens

TY Hilton

TE

Jordan Cameron

Rob Housler

Coby Fleeener

Fred Davis

Definitely Richardson is on the list now with high upside. Announced as starter in St L.

Randle in NY, yes.

Don't see Ballard. Bradshaw will be starting and I don't see Ballard having the pass catching skills to play on 3rd down.

Givens has had a great pre season, but I want to see game one in regular season before making a move.

Same with Vincent Brown. Will he be #1 in SD and will Rivers have enough time to get him the ball?

I think Austin is the WR to own in STL. I like Givens too though. I like Bradford as a good matchup QB. He has great value.

The NFC west might be the toughest division this year. Its crazy. No free lunches for the 49ers or Seachickens this year.

Definitely Richardson is on the list now with high upside. Announced as starter in St L.

Randle in NY, yes.

Don't see Ballard. Bradshaw will be starting and I don't see Ballard having the pass catching skills to play on 3rd down.

Givens has had a great pre season, but I want to see game one in regular season before making a move.

Same with Vincent Brown. Will he be #1 in SD and will Rivers have enough time to get him the ball?

Ballard just plain isn't very good.

But I think you're wrong on Givens. He was a pleasant surprise last year as a rookie. What we're seeing this pre-season is steady progression from a talented young player. I think he's a great late-round choice.

• Like 1

Ballard just plain isn't very good.

But I think you're wrong on Givens. He was a pleasant surprise last year as a rookie. What we're seeing this pre-season is steady progression from a talented young player. I think he's a great late-round choice.

I wouldn't totally disagree. What worries me is whether he will be more consistent. Last year, he had a stretch mid season where he caught a lot of deep balls and got TDs, but the last 4 weeks he was almost invisible. I'd rather use the pick on Randle and then if Givens shows something in game one, pick him up on waivers. He wasn't drafted in half the leagues I'm in.

It may depend on how savvy your other players are. If they aren't keeping on top of things, he may be out there week 2. I had a similar situation with Alfred Morris last year ( people were afraid of him being "Shanahaned") and picked him up on waivers. Won me a championship.

I'll go David Gettis kinda long term. Gets some play this year and is at least the wr2 there next season..maybe higher.

I think Austin is the WR to own in STL. I like Givens too though. I like Bradford as a good matchup QB. He has great value.

The NFC west might be the toughest division this year. Its crazy. No free lunches for the 49ers or Seachickens this year.

Meh, I'll pass on Austin. Rookie WRs rarely excel, and if they do, they are physical freaks like Green or Julio, not someone like Austin IMO. I'll wait until he shows he can perform at this level and look at him next year.

Meh, I'll pass on Austin. Rookie WRs rarely excel, and if they do, they are physical freaks like Green or Julio, not someone like Austin IMO. I'll wait until he shows he can perform at this level and look at him next year.

Colston, Boldin, Harvin, Moss, Hilton, Fitzgerald, Ty Hilton all had pretty good sleeper years as a rookie. I'm sure there are many others. I guess Moss and Fitz may not be considered a sleeper coming out, but rookies nonetheless. I think it's a myth that rookie WR don't produce. I don't foresee the Rams jumping out ahead on teams and playing ball control offense either.

Colston, Boldin, Harvin, Moss, Hilton, Fitzgerald, Ty Hilton all had pretty good sleeper years as a rookie. I'm sure there are many others. I guess Moss and Fitz may not be considered a sleeper coming out, but rookies nonetheless. I think it's a myth that rookie WR don't produce. I don't foresee the Rams jumping out ahead on teams and playing ball control offense either.

Harvin: 60/790/6 = 175

Hilton: 50/861/7 = 178

Those are about WR40 based on the PPR projections on this site.

The others you listed are more on the physical freak side.

As a bonus, here was Torry Holt's rookie line:

52/788/6 = 167

5'8, 174... I think he was overdrafted in the NFL draft. Maybe he'll be different though. :dunno:

Its a myth that rookie wrs don't produce? Wtf are you smoking?

Harvin: 60/790/6 = 175

Hilton: 50/861/7 = 178

Those are about WR40 based on the PPR projections on this site.

The others you listed are more on the physical freak side.

As a bonus, here was Torry Holt's rookie line:

52/788/6 = 167

5'8, 174... I think he was overdrafted in the NFL draft. Maybe he'll be different though. :dunno:

I had to run last night so I'll expand a little: the reason I included Holt was because he was a somewhat undersized, quick, highly-drafted WR by the Rams. In my deep keeper I drafted him as a rookie, as I did several others in my early years, only to be disappointed by pedestrian performance, and not seeing enough to justify keeping them the following year. I learned to expect very little from rookie WRs and to let others reach for them.

Threads like this just reinforce my thought processes this year.

After round 8 or so, there just aren't any RBs I'm interested in. I also do not love any WR to outperform their ADP once the 2nd tier guys (up through Roddy White or so) are gone... there's a very real chance that I draft 5 RBs and a QB with my first 6 picks this year and hope to strike WR gold late. I've done a ton of mocks over the past few weeks and I don't think I've drafted a WR between rounds 3-6 ONCE. Part of that of course is the way my keeper league is set up, but still...

Threads like this just reinforce my thought processes this year.

After round 8 or so, there just aren't any RBs I'm interested in. I also do not love any WR to outperform their ADP once the 2nd tier guys (up through Roddy White or so) are gone... there's a very real chance that I draft 5 RBs and a QB with my first 6 picks this year and hope to strike WR gold late. I've done a ton of mocks over the past few weeks and I don't think I've drafted a WR between rounds 3-6 ONCE. Part of that of course is the way my keeper league is set up, but still...

Bingo. I steer clear of WR unless a gem falls to me. It's RB, RB, RB all day long. Once I have the RB market cornered, I can know some desperate a-hole will offer me the world for one.

Tons of WRs end up on the waiver wire anyway so why waste a high pick on one?

that is the dumbest thing I ever heard, draft a bench RB in the 3rd for trade bait and pass on a stud WR

I think I may be looking through my keeper-league colored glasses here to a large extent. Only 1 guy per team, but it makes a huge difference as I'm sure you all know. After the first half of round 3, I am looking at guys like Bowe and Colston as being the best available. I'd rather stockpile RB talent and take my chances later in that scenario, wouldn't you?

That said, if I had my choice of VJax or Andre Johnson in round 3 over the Frank Gores and David Wilsons of the world, I would most certainly agree with you.