Sign in to follow this  
snatchit

Going RB, RB was stupid advice from the experts in a passing league

RB's dropping like flies and under performing, didn't listen to that BS and went WR, WR.... plenty of 3 rd to 5th round backs getting it done

of course you are going RB to start if you have like the 1st 4 or 5 picks... that's it. Who know we shall see, but I think when its over they may have wiffed on the RB, RB advice

Or you could get Jamaal Charles with the 9th pick...I went rb wr, based off every mock I did I hated every other scenario thus year

Actually, lot's of good backs slipped this year. I'm very happy with my RB-RB selections (Charles and McCoy) picking from the 8th spot in a 10 team league.

Actually, lot's of good backs slipped this year. I'm very happy with my RB-RB selections (Charles and McCoy) picking from the 8th spot in a 10 team league.

That is unusual. In many leagues both of those guys went before the 8th pick.

That is unusual. In many leagues both of those guys went before the 8th pick.

no kidding I had those guys in the top 4.... these 8 and 10 team guys are going to chime in on this tread, I don't get those leagues anyways

No excuse for Charles or Mcoy to be there past the 8th or so pick. Rnd 2 is stealing. Rb rb still a good plan, just needed to get lucky is all. Best plan prob to go Mcoy, graham, Peyton and get joique and knowshon late, but that's hindsight. Rbs are still as scarce as ever.

I went RB, WR, WR, QB, WR in PPR.

Trent Richardson, AJ Green, Vincent Jackson, Peyton Manning, Eric Decker

3-0.

3-0.

Be honest, who did u take Trent over and where did u rank Trent on ur rb list?

Be honest, who did u take Trent over and where did u rank Trent on ur rb list?

Team in sig. I also drafted Andre Brown, NYG and he got hurt later that day ... or the next day, as did Rob Housler, who I am still holding out hope for.

Trent was the best available RB in the 9 hole. Could be worse, I was hoping for CJ Spiller but he didn't fall to me. Then I drafted Bradshaw, who I am familiar with ... soild, good RB ... no idea they would both end up on the same team. It could be a really interesting option to start both of them, going forward.

Did not draft Ball, did not draft Hillman ... did draft Moreno in the 9th round.

How is Moreno compared to most top 2 round RBs? It's not the first 5 rounds that counts ... your picks should be obvious. It's the next 12 rounds.

One league, I am a part in, I demanded he draft McGahee in the 20th round. I wanted to do that too, but had some technical problems. That team also took Trent Richardson in the first, so it's really interesting to both teams I am involved in.

My friend kinda went QB crazy ... drafted Aaron Rogers, Matt Ryan AND Ben Rothlisberger ... that's how he rolls, he throws wrenches into people's plans. Since waived Rapistburger .... should be a hot pickup this week, while my friends team swoops in and get's LAfell cheap.

Note: You can't trade in this setup ... my buddy was just like, FU ... I am taking QBs off the board after the 5th round. Kind of a d!ckhead strategy but ... he's 2-1. Looks good going forward.

i said to avoid 2nd round rbs like the plague, only to be laughed at. ridley, cj2k, mjd, sjax, etc., blindly taking a position when better values can be had with no brainer stud wrs or Jimmy graham is the fastest way to lose in FF.

the daivd wilson at 2.05 thread is the funniest.

you shouldnt ignore Rbs, but keep value in mind when drafting

I went RB, RB, RB in a 14 man non-PPR drafting from the 10th spot. Didn't really plan it that way, but took players that fell to me; Ended up with McCoy, Forte and Murray.

My receivers are Amendola, Torrey Smith and Hilton.

2-1 and leading the league in points. My loss was to the guy that had Rodgers last week against the Redskins.

Pretty happy with my team.

I think you just need to watch the draft unfold and make the best picks available with an eye towards what you need. Let the other owners make the mistakes.

i said to avoid 2nd round rbs like the plague, only to be laughed at. ridley, cj2k, mjd, sjax, etc., blindly taking a position when better values can be had with no brainer stud wrs or Jimmy graham is the fastest way to lose in FF.

the daivd wilson at 2.05 thread is the funniest.

you shouldnt ignore Rbs, but keep value in mind when drafting

the leagues I play in are PPR, 2rb, 3wr leagues. its easier to hold off on RBs, as ppr deepens the pool. but you still had people taking 3 rbs in 4 rounds.

it is still early too.

3-0.

Your first and third rounders have both under-performed. You're 3-0 because Manning has been out of this world, not because you drafted well. Plus, I'll bet your opponents haven't scored much against you.

I am trying an experiment in my leagues this year. Since I pick 10 out of 10 in both leagues, then I think it is a good case study. Here are my top 5 picks in each:

Team A:

Calvin Johnson

Dez Bryant

Eddie Lacy

Demayius Thomas

Daryl Richardson

Team B:

Trent Richardson

Matt Forte

Larry Fitzgerald

Eddie Lacy

Jordy Nelson

My deeper players are about the same and these players include Jordon Cameron and Gio Bernard. So I am doing well with depth. So far, Team A is performing MUCH better than Team B. Both teams are doing well, but I have much more confidence in the stud receiver squad over the one with solid RB depth.

Just my thoughts so far.

Wouldn't it be smarter to go RB, RB in a passing league? If the choice for receivers is plentiful, and consistent RBs are rarer, wouldn't you want to use your highest picks and try to get the few consistent RBs you can, knowing there are a lot of WRs to choose from (as it's a passing league)?

• Like 1

I got Charles and Forte in Round 1 and 2. If I didn't completely mess up my WR picks, I'd be alright. I went V. Jackson and Bowe though.

No your top scorers in ppr now days are WR's, you want the best most consistent , especially contending with other WR's, and TE for touches. There are different ways to look at it, but I think that it was foolish of all these so called experts insisting on everyone go RB, RB... that's all

RB's dropping like flies and under performing, didn't listen to that BS and went WR, WR.... plenty of 3 rd to 5th round backs getting it done

Its sound advice usually but you have to use your head/own personal choices/beliefs when drafting. Example: I drafted AP #1 and used my 2nd/3rd round picks on MJD and Brandon Marshall. MJD has been god-awful so that was a mistake on my part. I wish I had drafted Peyton or Jimmy Graham there the way things are starting but I have too many years been chasing with NO RBs.

Last year I went Calvin Johnson and Roddy White in rounds 1 - 2 and sucked big time because my backs were DeMarco Murray, Stewart/DWill and Cedric Benson (remember him, that guy that was supposed to break out last year in Green Bay ?).

The guy leading our league in overall points this yeat drafted McCoy and Forte with the 12/13 turn so what's your argument again about the mistake with RB/RB ? Pair thosde with Matt Ryan and some solid others (Cobb, Decker, Antonio Brown and Jordan Cameron) and you've got a pretty good start. If you can't make your own decisions in FF, you shouldn't play.

Only 2 of the top 10 RB currently are outside of round 2 ADP. (Powell and Bell)

And 5 out of the top 10 WR falls outside of round 2+ ADP.

Source? It is as I expected.

No your top scorers in ppr now days are WR's, you want the best most consistent , especially contending with other WR's, and TE for touches. There are different ways to look at it, but I think that it was foolish of all these so called experts insisting on everyone go RB, RB... that's all

But if there are a lot of receivers scoring points (due to it being a passing league), why would you wait on RB, getting pretty much no production from those spots? Seems to me that if a position is going to be rare, then you better get the best you can at that position as soon as you can, because the remaining choices won't produce at all for you.

It don't matter which strategy you use when drafting. The most important aspect of FF is hitting on the right players that produce.

I wanted to draft RB heavy this year but the way some my drafts panned out, it didn't work that way.

What was your plan going into the draft? Was it RB RB? Or did you go that way based on the advice of the "experts".. As I have mentioned in other posts, take the term "expert" with a boulder-sized grain of salt. The vast majority of your FF experts, are working stiffs with a forum to pontificate. If you strongly feel a certain way, run with it. Don't run with the guys from CBS, or the guys from the 100+ fantasy sites out there.. Yes, it is wonderful help in pushing you over to one side if youa re on the fence, but to go a certain way because John Blablah said so on fantasywhatever,com is silly.

Because in most cases John is just like you with a forum. Doesn't make him an expert.

Wouldn't it be smarter to go RB, RB in a passing league? If the choice for receivers is plentiful, and consistent RBs are rarer, wouldn't you want to use your highest picks and try to get the few consistent RBs you can, knowing there are a lot of WRs to choose from (as it's a passing league)?

i think the exact opposite way that you do. sure the pool of wrs is deeper, but that just makes it harder to find one.

rbs, is a shallower pool, but when you find one, its an every week starter

there is no silver bullett but to each his own I guess

Next year, I pick my 1st RB in the 5th round. Value is totally gone. Getting 1 to 2 Rbs with 100 plus yards and 5 to 10 WRs getting the 100 each week. Receivers need not platoon. Sick of watching my top picks in the draft play 1/2 the game.

14 man league ppr, i drafted 11th. I basically followed doug orth's big 200 for ppr, all were around when they came to me.

1. t.richardson
  2. cj- rb
  3. garcon
  4. bowe

0-3

Charles

Bush and joique bell

Graham

McFadden

Decker

Romo (qbs run early)

Tate later traded for Reece and Gordon

Mike Williams

This is a tough debate. As Buford T said above it is all about getting the players that produce at the right time!

Now, are there projections for how these players will do based on ADP? Sure.

Will they actually do what they are projected to do? Who knows.

I really think that this is why it is kind of a moot point. Because you can go by the book and get burned sooooooo easy. Even if you go about drafting the right way, it only takes a bit of bad luck----and your team can be crap.

It also takes just a bit of good luck for a crappy fantasy manager to have a successful season.

In the end, even the "right way" to draft can destroy your team if they don't produce as projected.

That may be the stupidest comment I've ever read (going rb/rb is wrong). If you drafted the wrong RB's, it sucks to be you. I have McCoy in nearly every league I'm in and Forte was my 2nd rounder on 90% of my teams. Yeah, life sucks. lol When I had the 1.01, I took Jamaal Charles over AP. Its about WHO you draft, not what position.

Look at the idiots who drafted WR/WR..... They were stuck with Lamar Miller, Steven Ridley, Ryan Matthews, Shane Vereen, David Wilson, MJD, or everyone's hype train out of contral that I told you would bust like no other, Laveon Bell, or another dud. Anyone can pick and choose what draft strategy "sucks", but it's much more about how well you draft than your overall method. Personally, I always go RB/RB and 80% of the time, I take 3 RB's in a row. It has always worked well for me and I'll likely always draft this way.

The people who went RB/RB/RB missed out on who exactly? Roddy White? Yeah, he's lighting it up. Ammendola? It was a given they would miss out on the top 5 or 6 best WR's, but they (we) knew that going in. If you were smart, you paid attention and got Garcon, Hartline, Smith, Gordon, Shorts, Brown, DeSean, Broyles, Boldin or Rice well after the 3rd round. It isn't rocket science. Those of us that have been playing for more than a few years knew full well to avoid the overhyped players from the preseason (Wilson, Bell, Miller and others) and even posted here telling people to avoid them. You can win using any strategy, you just have to select the right guys. I watched guys take Calvin in the first, Bryant in the second, then draft David Wilson and LaVeon Bell in the 3rd and 4th. How are those teams any better than guys who took Martin, CJ2K and followed that up with Cruz and Garcon? They aren't. lol

That may be the stupidest comment I've ever read (going rb/rb is wrong). If you drafted the wrong RB's, it sucks to be you. I have McCoy in nearly every league I'm in and Forte was my 2nd rounder on 90% of my teams. Yeah, life sucks. lol When I had the 1.01, I took Jamaal Charles over AP. Its about WHO you draft, not what position.

Look at the idiots who drafted WR/WR..... They were stuck with Lamar Miller, Steven Ridley, Ryan Matthews, Shane Vereen, David Wilson, MJD, or everyone's hype train out of contral that I told you would bust like no other, Laveon Bell, or another dud. Anyone can pick and choose what draft strategy "sucks", but it's much more about how well you draft than your overall method. Personally, I always go RB/RB and 80% of the time, I take 3 RB's in a row. It has always worked well for me and I'll likely always draft this way.

The people who went RB/RB/RB missed out on who exactly? Roddy White? Yeah, he's lighting it up. Ammendola? It was a given they would miss out on the top 5 or 6 best WR's, but they (we) knew that going in. If you were smart, you paid attention and got Garcon, Hartline, Smith, Gordon, Shorts, Brown, DeSean, Broyles, Boldin or Rice well after the 3rd round. It isn't rocket science. Those of us that have been playing for more than a few years knew full well to avoid the overhyped players from the preseason (Wilson, Bell, Miller and others) and even posted here telling people to avoid them. You can win using any strategy, you just have to select the right guys. I watched guys take Calvin in the first, Bryant in the second, then draft David Wilson and LaVeon Bell in the 3rd and 4th. How are those teams any better than guys who took Martin, CJ2K and followed that up with Cruz and Garcon? They aren't. lol

People could have just as easily drafted Spiller and Richardson and thought they were loaded and they're probably 0-3.

There is no 100% failsafe way of going into a draft. If someone decided to go WR, TE, WR, WR and ended up with Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Desean Jackson, and Jordy Nelson, they're probably kicking major ass this year, even if they ended up with Demarco Murray, Joique Bell, and Knowshon Moreno as backs. See what I mean? It's as much a crap shoot as it is skill.

Ridley was 2nd round, lets see here, Spiller, Jackson, CJ, MJD, Trent before he got traded, Alf, Rice... just off the top of my head.