Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Time for Bob Kraft to do the right thing. Fire Bill Belichick

as General Manager.

He has been god awful for many years as a GM.

Not signing Deion Branch and Ty Law which probably cost them the Super Bowl in 2006.

Not signing Welker and trading for Amendola.

There are a TON of examples.

And I just found this.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/01/20/bill-belichick-stepping-down-as-gm-is-key-to-new-england-patriots-future-success/

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick is in his 39th season as an NFL coach. Often times sporting his infamous cutoff hoodie, the stoic Belichick is widely considered to be one of the best head coaches in all of football for his intricate play designs and style of football — in other words, being a genius when it comes to the X’s and O’s. It was Belichick, after all, who is the only head coach in the history of the NFL to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span. Living by the motto “In Bill We Trust” after all these years, Patriots fans should now take a step back and consider the current situation of the team following the 26-16 loss to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship Game. In many eyes, the Patriots largely exceeded expectations this season.

Belichick is one of a very small group of NFL coaches who have general manager authority as well. Perennially regarded as a top team in the AFC, the Patriots surprisingly have not won a Super Bowl title since 2004. While they made it to the Super Bowl in 2007, following a perfect 18-0 regular season, and in 2011, they were unable to bring home the victories. Based on the culture that Belichick developed in New England, every season is “Super Bowl or bust.” In that sense, they have become the New York Yankees of the NFL.

However, they can’t be further from the Yankees’ methodology when it comes to payroll. In the offseason, Belichick refused to pay star wide receiver Wes Welker the extra few million dollars needed in order to keep him in New England. Tom Brady even took a pay cut and restructured his deal seemingly to allow for this to happen. But Belichick refused to budge and let him walk, opting instead to sign the injury-prone Danny Amendola in hopes that he could put up similar numbers. Welker caught over 111 balls five times during his six seasons in New England and amassed over 1,165 yards five times, including 1,569 in 2011. Amendola played every game of the season just once in his five-year career and only played 12 games this season, catching 54 balls for 633 yards and two touchdowns. That didn’t work out so well.

If you were watching the AFC Championship, you might have seen that Tom Brady was throwing to Austin Collie. Yep, that Austin Collie: the one who was washed up like five years ago. Ever since Randy Moss got traded in 2010 — which made no sense for Belichick to do — the Patriots have not had a vertical threat at the receiver position. Not a single one. With Tom Brady throwing the ball as well as ever, you can leave it up to your imagination what he could do with weapons like Peyton Manning has in Denver.

The Patriots have traded draft pick after draft pick and have not found any offensive playmakers in the process. Instead of drafting proven playmakers, it seems as though Belichick prefers to go with guys who he can “transform” like the Julian Edelman’s of the world. Unfortunately, not many of them turned out into the success that Edelman has.

When Brandon Marshall, Mike Wallace, Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon were all the trading block or free agents, Belichick didn’t give them the time of day. Can you just imagine how the whole landscape of the team would be changed if just one of those players dressed up in Foxboro alongside No. 12? Undrafted free agents and old veterans won’t get it done.

In conclusion, Belichick is a genius when it comes to the X’s and O’s but not so much when it comes to making personnel decisions. Often times caught up with the untapped potential of prospects, he seems to draft players out of what they might become and not who they currently are. His unwillingness to pay free agents who would undoubtedly make the life of his Hall of Fame quarterback a lot easier is questionable, and for those reasons he should step down as GM of the team at this point and stick to do what he does best: coaching.

Belicheat wants to be known as the coach who won SBs and not the Coach who rode Tom Brady. Sadly for him, HE IS the Coach who rode Tom Brady.

Belicheat wants to be known as the coach who won SBs and not the Coach who rode Tom Brady. Sadly for him, HE IS the Coach who rode Tom Brady.

That is an interesting take. I have never looked at it that way,

Holding the QB back and trying to take more of the credit.

That is an interesting take. I have never looked at it that way,

Holding the QB back and trying to take more of the credit.

Didn't you ever find it interesting the way WRs were run out of town? Welker was the latest, but what about Randy Moss, or Chad Johnson. It's as if their success was a slap in the face of Belicheat. Or maybe he just wanted to put them down. The dude is odd.

He also drafted Hernandez knowing his gang background and troubled past. His personnel moves in recent years have been terrible. Great coach, but he's lost it on the talent evaluation side. But, like Jerry Jones, he'd never relinquish that aspect.

Could you imagine the bidding war for a Bill Belichick on the open market! 5/50million would not be out of the question. Cleveland would probably even throw in ownership shares.

This thread has troll written all over it. Next the OP will try to convince us that water is not wet.......seriously folks, if they fired Belichick, there would be 31 owners offering him some kind of position in their respected organization. Lets move on..........

• Like 1

Could you imagine the bidding war for a Bill Belichick on the open market! 5/50million would not be out of the question. Cleveland would probably even throw in ownership shares.

This thread has troll written all over it. Next the OP will try to convince us that water is not wet.......seriously folks, if they fired Belichick, there would be 31 owners offering him some kind of position in their respected organization. Lets move on..........

The troll here is you.

You need to learn how to read, son.

as General Manager.

He also drafted Hernandez knowing his gang background and troubled past. His personnel moves in recent years have been terrible. Great coach, but he's lost it on the talent evaluation side. But, like Jerry Jones, he'd never relinquish that aspect.

Many Pats fans have been saying this for many years.

Edro makes some pretty good points. So far this is the only crap post in the thread.

The troll here is you.

You need to learn how to read, son.

An outside perspective from an NFC general manager: "I think it's the person, not the structure there. There are very few people like him. Belichick is very unique. You see how many guys come out of that tree who have failed. That's because it's the person, not the structure, that makes it go. You have to be unique to do it that way. I think he's just extremely smart, and very well-rounded; good in all aspects. Most people can't do it like that, in that structure. Again, you see the guys from that tree, and they get out there and can't handle some of the other facets of running a team, outside their comfort zone. So you look at it, and you say, 'It's Belichick.' And if it wasn't Belichick, that structure probably wouldn't work, because it hasn't with guys who've come out of that system.

...what makes Bill special is his ability to find the right people in every aspect of the organization.......he's not just a GM, but also understands the business aspect of the organization....he has the best staff in the business (until they eventually leave beacuse of how many teams want a Bill Belichick employee)

in addition, he probably has the best talent evaluator in the business "Nick Caserio".

Your trolling buddy. Not only is he one of the best coaches of all time, he may even be the best GM ever.

Edro makes some pretty good points. So far this is the only crap post in the thread.

honestly, I didn't even read Edro's points, I didn't have to.......Do you want me to go dig up statistical evidence on why Belichick is in the discussion as one of the best GM's of all time? because there are millions of numbers that say he is.

I like Bill B., but wouldn't call him the best GM ever. The best GM ever wouldn't have let Welker walk away, nor let their team go into the season with over $8 million in salary cap space when it was patently obvious they needed a legit WR. I think he may be the best coach of his generation, but he's far from perfect. I don't think he deserves the beating he regularly takes by the media, but he has faults like everyone else. When you have a once in a lifetime type of QB, why wouldn't you give him the best WR's you can? They could have traded for someone before the deadline, and it was apparent then they needed help. With all the injuries this team suffered through though, I don't see how anyone can blame this season on Bill. His guys didn't fold.

I also agree if he were ever cut loose from New England, there would be a boatload of teams offering him anything he asked for. The Raiders and Cleveland would likely give him a key to the city and a clean hoodie.

honestly, I didn't even read Edro's points, I didn't have to.......Do you want me to go dig up statistical evidence on why Belichick is in the discussion as one of the best GM's of all time? because there are millions of numbers that say he is.

The only statistical stat that stands out is that Belichick didn't start winning until Brady basically fell into their lap. We will see how much of a czar he is after Tommy retires.

I like Bill B., but wouldn't call him the best GM ever. The best GM ever wouldn't have let Welker walk away, nor let their team go into the season with over $8 million in salary cap space when it was patently obvious they needed a legit WR. I think he may be the best coach of his generation, but he's far from perfect. I don't think he deserves the beating he regularly takes by the media, but he has faults like everyone else. When you have a once in a lifetime type of QB, why wouldn't you give him the best WR's you can? They could have traded for someone before the deadline, and it was apparent then they needed help. With all the injuries this team suffered through though, I don't see how anyone can blame this season on Bill. His guys didn't fold.

I also agree if he were ever cut loose from New England, there would be a boatload of teams offering him anything he asked for. The Raiders and Cleveland would likely give him a key to the city and a clean hoodie.

He might not be the BEST ever, but he certainly deserves to be in the discussion. Name a GM in Bill's era that has been better. I'd love to compare them.

He might not be the BEST ever, but he certainly deserves to be in the discussion. Name a GM in Bill's era that has been better. I'd love to compare them.

Since Scott Pioli left and no one was around to keep BB in check, he has been a less than average GM.

The only statistical stat that stands out is that Belichick didn't start winning until Brady basically fell into their lap. We will see how much of a czar he is after Tommy retires.

...no ###### sherlock......all great coaches and GM's have had great players.

Best NBA coach ever phil jackson------ best player ever Jordan

Best Coach/GM in NHL....Glenn Sather---------- had best player ever Gretzky

Best in football.......Belichick

...do u see a trend

Since Scott Pioli left and no one was around to keep BB in check, he has been a less than average GM.

Nick Caserio took over and he's regarded as one of the best

Didn't you ever find it interesting the way WRs were run out of town? Welker was the latest, but what about Randy Moss, or Chad Johnson. It's as if their success was a slap in the face of Belicheat. Or maybe he just wanted to put them down. The dude is odd.

Welker's success was a slap in the face to Belichick? Belichick is the the guy who saw his potential, traded for him, making a lot of people say "WTF?" and brought him into an ideal system for him to utilize his skills. I think maybe there was a personality clash there at times, but his "success" was not the problem. Belichick was a major reason for his success. I think he mostly didn't want to overpay for a 31 year old possession receiver with a lot of miles, when he had a pretty capable replacement waiting in the wings.

Moss always had the potential to become a cancer as everyone knew. He was a risk/reward balancing act from the start. Did Bill pull the trigger a little quick? Yeah, maybe, but none of us really know just what went on. I think it's telling that Randy had wanted to come back almost from the day he left.

Chad Johnson's success? We must be talking about a different Chad Johnson.

He went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. :dunno:

...no ###### sherlock......all great coaches and GM's have had great players.

Best NBA coach ever phil jackson------ best player ever Jordan

Best Coach/GM in NHL....Glenn Sather---------- had best player ever Gretzky

Best in football.......Belichick

...do u see a trend

Belichick was dog shiat in Cleveland - did he all of the sudden discover the secret to coaching when he landed in NE? We will see how genius he is after Secretariat is gone.

Welker's success was a slap in the face to Belichick? Belichick is the the guy who saw his potential, traded for him, making a lot of people say "WTF?" and brought him into an ideal system for him to utilize his skills. I think maybe there was a personality clash there at times, but his "success" was not the problem. Belichick was a major reason for his success. I think he mostly didn't want to overpay for a 31 year old possession receiver with a lot of miles, when he had a pretty capable replacement waiting in the wings.

Moss always had the potential to become a cancer as everyone knew. He was a risk/reward balancing act from the start. Did Bill pull the trigger a little quick? Yeah, maybe, but none of us really know just what went on. I think it's telling that Randy had wanted to come back almost from the day he left.

He also let Welker go, in lieu of bringing in Amendola :doh:

Good post, Ed. I dont agree with him losing the HC duties but GM duites? HELL yeah! Lets face it - Bill is an egomaniac and does NOT want to ever admit that he made a bad personnel decision which he has. Way too many good players have been sent packing from NE. I know you cant sign everyone but they hardly even try - they just dump em.

Ironically, the data clearly shows that since Bill has made lousy personnel decisions the Pats have NOT won a title or even made the Super Bowl. Those early 2000's teams would have went into Denver and likely won the game. They would have beat the Giants in at least one of those SB's and would have beat the Ravens last year too.

If Im a Pats fan, Im getting TIRED of wasting our HOF QBs goldne years with Danny focking Amendola, always Hurt Gronk, and whatever other focksticks they throw out there. Get real. Oh, and your defense isnt even close to being as good as they used to be either. Period.

• Like 1

Yes

Good post, Ed. I dont agree with him losing the HC duties but GM duites? HELL yeah! Lets face it - Bill is an egomaniac and does NOT want to ever admit that he made a bad personnel decision which he has. Way too many good players have been sent packing from NE. I know you cant sign everyone but they hardly even try - they just dump em.

Ironically, the data clearly shows that since Bill has made lousy personnel decisions the Pats have NOT won a title or even made the Super Bowl. Those early 2000's teams would have went into Denver and likely won the game. They would have beat the Giants in at least one of those SB's and would have beat the Ravens last year too.

If Im a Pats fan, Im getting TIRED of wasting our HOF QBs goldne years with Danny focking Amendola, always Hurt Gronk, and whatever other focksticks they throw out there. Get real. Oh, and your defense isnt even close to being as good as they used to be either. Period.

:thumbsup:

When Belichick accepted the Patriots' head coaching position in 2000, Scott Pioli became vice president of player personnel. The two eventually became the first personnel director/head coach tandem in league annals to win three Super Bowls during a four-year span (2001–2004). He and Belichick split the duties usually held by a general manager on most other NFL teams, though Belichick had the final say

Since BB took over GM duties alone, he just hasn't got the job done.

The excuses made for sending these guys away are always mildly plausible and Pats fans are always 100% behind them, while the rest of the football world is scratching it's head. It's like a cult up there.

Welker is a cancer who dropped a difficult catch in the SB. Moss has 3 straight 1000-10 years and is suddenly cancer. Johnson has a solid year is Cincy, gets signed by NE to be a #2 at worst and can't find the field behind the ever mediocre (Belicheat fav) Deion Branch. Why even sign the guy?

He also let Welker go, in lieu of bringing in Amendola :doh:

Not "in lieu of", everything I've read indicates they were pursuing Amendola regardless of what happened with Welker. Amendola looks to be a huge error at this point.

I'm not disagreeing with the general point. Bill's drafting and free agent record are sketchy at best, but some arguments are better than others. Would Bill have been a better GM if he had signed a 31 yo Welker to 7 or 8 mill a year when he has Edelman standing on the sidelines able to do 90+ of what Welker can do at a fraction of the cost? I don't think so.

Not "in lieu of", everything I've read indicates they were pursuing Amendola regardless of what happened with Welker. Amendola looks to be a huge error at this point.

I'm not disagreeing with the general point. Bill's drafting and free agent record are sketchy at best, but some arguments are better than others. Would Bill have been a better GM if he had signed a 31 yo Welker to 7 or 8 mill a year when he has Edelman standing on the sidelines able to do 90+ of what Welker can do at a fraction of the cost? I don't think so.

If BB was so sure Edleman was Welker's replacement, why didn't he lock him up and not let him go to FA? Because he didn't know, that's why.

They could have locked Edleman up for many years for real cheap.

For better or worse, Belicheck is the guy to release someone a year early, rather than hold on a year too long... Welker is on his descent... I don't necessarily fault that strategy because with a hard cap you cant be blowing money on people for past performance. Thats how you become the eagles or the redskins or the cowboys....

I think he has been fairly average in draft evaluations, they should have better targeted good secondary guys like Prince Akumura... Honey badger would have been a good gamble. The 'draft only rutgers guys' strategy seems like a failure... and while I like the Jones, Hightower combo, that was the first time in as long as i could remember agreeing with what they did. They need to produce more starters and productive players than what they've been doing... Their lack of depth in the secondary was a killer all season long..

Yeah fire the greatest coach of all time. Who just took you to yet another conference championship game.

Brilliant, edjr :doh:

Yeah fire the greatest coach of all time. Who just took you to yet another conference championship game.

:doublethumbsup: :shocking: :first: :dunno:

Good grief. Read his first post . . .

The excuses made for sending these guys away are always mildly plausible and Pats fans are always 100% behind them, while the rest of the football world is scratching it's head. It's like a cult up there.

Welker is a cancer who dropped a difficult catch in the SB. Moss has 3 straight 1000-10 years and is suddenly cancer. Johnson has a solid year is Cincy, gets signed by NE to be a #2 at worst and can't find the field behind the ever mediocre (Belicheat fav) Deion Branch. Why even sign the guy?

Yes, "Pats fans are always 100%" this, and 100% that. :rolleyes:

Maybe things would seem less cultish if you addressed the points at hand rather than immediately jumping to gross generalizations and unfounded inferences.

I never said Welker was a "cancer", I said there was a personality clash between him and BB, but I think that was primarily a financial decision, just like Law and Branch among other guys. The Patriots are a very hard-ball organization that doesn't pay for past performance. I'm not saying that's right, but they've been pretty successful with it. And sometimes it leads to them getting rid of guys when they still have some tread left.

People ridiculed Bill when he brought Moss in precisely because he had the potential to be a huge cancer. Bill got three productive and low-key seasons out of him, before those cancerous tendencies started to resurface, at which point he kicked him to the curb, at which point people criticized him again. It's almost like he can't win.

I don't have any idea why they signed Chad Johnson. By many accounts Bill really likes Chad, and I think maybe this is one time that he let his personal like of the player cloud his judgment to the fact that Chad maybe didn't have the football IQ to pick up the Pats system in a timely fashion. That was again, a huge miss by Belichick, but it had nothing to do with Chad's "success".

I for one was stoked when the Patriots traded for Moss and Dillon. I was livid when they let Ty Law, Branch, Welker go.

If BB was so sure Edleman was Welker's replacement, why didn't he lock him up and not let him go to FA? Because he didn't know, that's why.

They could have locked Edleman up for many years for real cheap.

Did he "know"? No. They didn't "know" when they brought in Welker or Moss either. You don't know until the guy gets on the field and does it on a consistent basis. But I think after 4 years in the system they had a pretty good idea what they had in Edelman - which is to say a fairly close approximation to Welker's skillset and toughness. I don't know why they didn't lock up Edelman beforehand, but I would guess that it's because they still hoped to resign Welker. People act like the cut Welker, when reports say they offered him 5 million a year with bonus potential to 8 mill a year. I think they also misjudged the interest he would generate in free agency.

Why are people talking about Welker when they could be talking about the 43 defensive backs Bill's drafted in the last few years only to cut almost every one. :doh:

I for one was stoked when the Patriots traded for Moss and Dillon. I was livid when they let Ty Law, Branch, Welker go.

I was too, but don't even pretend that there wasn't a whole lot of questioning it. I wasn't happy when they let law go, much less so with Branch and Welker. Branch simply wasn't worth the money that he was going to get in free agency, as I think his time in Seattle bore out.

Did he "know"? No. They didn't "know" when they brought in Welker or Moss either. You don't know until the guy gets on the field and does it on a consistent basis. But I think after 4 years in the system they had a pretty good idea what they had in Edelman - which is to say a fairly close approximation to Welker's skillset and toughness. I don't know why they didn't lock up Edelman beforehand, but I would guess that it's because they still hoped to resign Welker. People act like the cut Welker, when reports say they offered him 5 million a year with bonus potential to 8 mill a year. I think they also misjudged the interest he would generate in free agency.

Why are people talking about Welker when they could be talking about the 43 defensive backs Bill's drafted in the last few years only to cut almost every one. :doh:

They didn't misjudge the interest Welker would get, he had one team interested and he took less money to leave. Whatever happened between BB and Welker, no one will ever know. He should have never been benched for all the feet jokes aimed at Ryan either. That could be a small part of it.

I made this thread to call out BB for being a worthless GM. I assumed his lack of drafting talent would go without saying.

I was too, but don't even pretend that there wasn't a whole lot of questioning it. I wasn't happy when they let law go, much less so with Branch and Welker. Branch simply wasn't worth the money that he was going to get in free agency, as I think his time in Seattle bore out.

don't you wonder deep down if the Patriots hold on and beat the Colts in the AFC championship if they had Branch or Law, or both? They would have easily beaten Chicago, who had no business being there.

Don't give me the salary cap bs either, because that's not why they couldn't hang onto them.

They didn't misjudge the interest Welker would get, he had one team interested and he took less money to leave. Whatever happened between BB and Welker, no one will ever know. He should have never been benched for all the feet jokes aimed at Ryan either. That could be a small part of it.

I made this thread to call out BB for being a worthless GM. I assumed his lack of drafting talent would go without saying.

Link to him taking less money to leave? I thought the base contract with Broncos was $12 mill and the Pats $10 mill?

Good grief. Read his first post . . .

I did read it and dismissed edjr's "as GM

only" caveat out of hand.

Yeah, strip Belichick of his GM duties. I'm sure he'll stick around to coach for you, no hard feelings :lol: :doh: