Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

****The Official Seattle Seahawks Offseason Thread 2014****

Starting to look like Sea will wind up around $35mil under the cap. I think I saw somewhere that Thomas was already over $5 mil because of some kind of escalaters in his rookie deal, so upping him and Sherman would probably only use about $15 of that. Not sure how much they have to set aside for rookies

Starting to look like Sea will wind up around $35mil under the cap. I think I saw somewhere that Thomas was already over $5 mil because of some kind of escalaters in his rookie deal, so upping him and Sherman would probably only use about $15 of that. Not sure how much they have to set aside for rookies

Between the rookie salary cap, picking last in every round, and no 3rd round pick, I can't imagine they would need more than oh let's say about 2 million to sign all the rookies. And how many do we really expect to make the team?

Normally you would only need 2 to 3 mil for rookies.

Assuming your drafting from like #20 on.

Between the rookie salary cap, picking last in every round, and no 3rd round pick, I can't imagine they would need more than oh let's say about 2 million to sign all the rookies. And how many do we really expect to make the team?

hopefully we can trade down from #32 or #64 in order to recoup the 3rd round pick we gave to the Vikes. This is supposedly a really deep draft, so I would rather see more picks. Of course, everyone probably thinks this way, so I'm not sure how far down one would have to drop to pick up a 3rd.

hopefully we can trade down from #32 or #64 in order to recoup the 3rd round pick we gave to the Vikes. This is supposedly a really deep draft, so I would rather see more picks. Of course, everyone probably thinks this way, so I'm not sure how far down one would have to drop to pick up a 3rd.

I think it's going to be very difficult to trade out of 1.32 and go down. It's the last pick of the day. Everybody around the league has already packed up all their sh!t and is on their way home. If a player slipped, they will re-evaluate and try to trade up for the #2.1 pick the next day. Not rush to trade for the 1.32 pick. Since the league went to this 3 day format, I don't know if any team has been able to trade away a pick in the bottom 7 or so and been able to move down, off the top of my head. I think we will sit there and just take the pick.

Oh, I just looked one up. In 2010,

Minnesota gave up #30 (1st round), #128 (4th round)

Detroit gave up #34 (2nd round), #100 (4th round), #214 (7th round)

Meh, not excited by it. You gain a 7th and you slide up in the 4th. For trading out of the first round, but not that far. That let's you know that you won't get jack sh!t for moving down that late. Unless you deep dive into the middle to end of the 2nd. If you want to sit back and say that you are willing to not make your first pick until the end of the 2nd round to pick up a mid to late 3rd round pick, I guess that works. But I'm not crying over the loss of the 3rd rounder, since it was the end of the 3rd round pick, and we added the Raiders 5th round pick (Matt Flynn trade), a top of the 5th round pick. Not much harm done. I know we excel at picking late, but I don't want to move out of the first just to pick up a 7th rounder.

Looks like the salary cap will rise above 132 million. Good news.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013-nfl-offseason/2014/2/25/5447520/nfl-salary-cap-could-exceed-132-million

Let me throw out a thought here. As our cap number continues to expand naturally. I'm starting to think Clemons comes back. On his original deal.

With the exception of a one year wonder effort out of Raheem Brock, Chris Clemons has been the only pass rushing threat on Seattle the entire Pete/John era up until this year. Clemons knee injury in Washington in the playoffs last year likely cost us a Superbowl win as Matt Ryan had all day to throw against a non rushing Seattle defense for 20 seconds at a time. Let's recall, Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane are both part of like 4 guys leftover prior to the Pete/John days (Unger? Ryan?). So loyalty may sway the team to cut Red, resign Bennett, and don't do a damn thing with Clemons, to leave intact a pass rush keyed by Clemons, Arvil, and Bennet, which quite frankly makes me wet.

Clemons came back from his knee in months, was effective, and by the end of the year, was basically our best pass rusher. And he already signed his big deal the year before. If that doesn't show dedication, I don't know what does.

Let me throw out a thought here. As our cap number continues to expand naturally. I'm starting to think Clemons comes back. On his original deal.

With the exception of a one year wonder effort out of Raheem Brock, Chris Clemons has been the only pass rushing threat on Seattle the entire Pete/John era up until this year. Clemons knee injury in Washington in the playoffs last year likely cost us a Superbowl win as Matt Ryan had all day to throw against a non rushing Seattle defense for 20 seconds at a time. Let's recall, Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane are both part of like 4 guys leftover prior to the Pete/John days (Unger? Ryan?). So loyalty may sway the team to cut Red, resign Bennett, and don't do a damn thing with Clemons, to leave intact a pass rush keyed by Clemons, Arvil, and Bennet, which quite frankly makes me wet.

Clemons came back from his knee in months, was effective, and by the end of the year, was basically our best pass rusher. And he already signed his big deal the year before. If that doesn't show dedication, I don't know what does.

I find it strange that there has been very little said about both Miler and Clemons contract situations. Maybe they are both back with the cap rising along with Tate and Bennett. I also heard the Greg Scruggs has put on weight so he is a candidate to take over the Red Bryant role.

You guys hearing any names from the combine that we were really interested in?

The only thing I've heard so far was Aaron Donald DT out of Pitt. Don't know much about the kid but, but I heard we were very smitten with him.

The only thing I've heard so far was Aaron Donald DT out of Pitt. Don't know much about the kid but, but I heard we were very smitten with him.

Yea he's definitely a Seahawk type of player but he'll never make it to 32.

WR: will need some new starters

Sidney Rice: Goodbye. Cutting him saves 7.3 million to the cap.

DE: in flux

Red Bryant: He's in trouble. If no restructuring happens, he gets 3 mill roster bonus in March and 4.5 base this season, 6 next, 7 next. This contract is poison.

The Seahawks have officially released Sidney Rice and Red Bryant. Total savings to cap on Rice: 7.3 million, on Bryant 5.5 million.

No surprises yet.

The Seahawks have officially released Sidney Rice and Red Bryant. Total savings to cap on Rice: 7.3 million, on Bryant 5.5 million.

No surprises yet.

Very surprised we haven't heard more about Miller and Clemons.

Very surprised we haven't heard more about Miller and Clemons.

Mebane also.

Donald is the only guy I've heard of Seattle having interest in.

As far as who I'm interested in, Kelvin Benjamin is a dream. No way he's still there at 32 after his performance at the combine, but you never know.

Yankey wouldn't be a bad pick (Again if he's there). I'm hoping we cut ties with Carpenter (fock him) and draft somebody to either compete with Bailey and/or push Sweezy.

Donald is the only guy I've heard of Seattle having interest in.

As far as who I'm interested in, Kelvin Benjamin is a dream. No way he's still there at 32 after his performance at the combine, but you never know.

Yankey wouldn't be a bad pick (Again if he's there). I'm hoping we cut ties with Carpenter (fock him) and draft somebody to either compete with Bailey and/or push Sweezy.

If we draft Benjamin I would go on a Philly esk rant that would 1. make mr. bear look like a cuddly little care bear. And 2. go out and say Schnieder has the IQ level of Tim Ruskell, and hope for his immediate fireing.

He's the oldest WR of the bunch. And we're talking a great/deep class bunch.

He has only produced 1 good season. Has concentration issues. And could very well have the worst hands in this years draft class. He doesn't even body catch like some guys do, where they have good hands and you need to break that body habit on the pro level. He does use his hands (fundamentaly right) they're just that bad.

Think Devon Thomas/Stephen Hill but older entering the draft.

He'll be the worst WR drafted in the first 3 rounds this year.

If we draft Benjamin I would go on a Philly esk rant that would 1. make mr. bear look like a cuddly little care bear. And 2. go out and say Schnieder has the IQ level of Tim Ruskell, and hope for his immediate fireing.

He's the oldest WR of the bunch. And we're talking a great/deep class bunch.

He has only produced 1 good season. Has concentration issues. And could very well have the worst hands in this years draft class. He doesn't even body catch like some guys do, where they have good hands and you need to break that body habit on the pro level. He does use his hands (fundamentaly right) they're just that bad.

Think Devon Thomas/Stephen Hill but older entering the draft.

He'll be the worst WR drafted in the first 3 rounds this year.

Me barely watching any college ball shows again. :lol:

I knew he didn't have a very productive career and was just looking at his size and combine performance. Your strong opinion has been note. What receivers do you like? I'd really like to see us bring in a big, young buck who can potentially start alongside Harvin and move Baldwin back to the slot. I'm counting Tate as gone, and have faith in Kearse, but "always compete" ya know?

They did sign that 6'5" CFL rookie of the year.

Me barely watching any college ball shows again. :lol:

I knew he didn't have a very productive career and was just looking at his size and combine performance. Your strong opinion has been note. What receivers do you like? I'd really like to see us bring in a big, young buck who can potentially start alongside Harvin and move Baldwin back to the slot. I'm counting Tate as gone, and have faith in Kearse, but "always compete" ya know?

They did sign that 6'5" CFL rookie of the year.

Good news is this is the deepest, most talented WR class I can remember. The bad news was you picked the 1 guy I feel is vastly over rated.

Read some where today the the Steelers and heath Miller restructured his deal. Waiting for that with Zach Miller. I really feel we can't afford to simply cut ties with him and he isn't worth the money he is scheduled to make so a restructure seems logical.

Read some where today the the Steelers and heath Miller restructured his deal. Waiting for that with Zach Miller. I really feel we can't afford to simply cut ties with him and he isn't worth the money he is scheduled to make so a restructure seems logical.

And the Steelers have one of the worst cap situations in the league.

Ed Werder, Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen all linking Jimma one catch Graham to the Seahawks via trade. Not happening!

Two 1st rounders for that guy? Plus $10m per season when we'd be eating dead money on Zach Miller's deal after we cut him? No way. That's crazy talk.

(please let this be crazy talk).

Why in the world, when this is the deepest draft in 10 years and a pick at 1.32 is probably a VERY good player, and deep at WR when that is where we are thinnest, why would you trade away that chip?

Ed Werder, Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen all linking Jimma one catch Graham to the Seahawks via trade. Not happening!

:nono:

:nono:

I read what Schefter wrote. What it really sounds like is the guy floated a trial balloon so that he could become the news instead of just reporting the news. I will be pretty shocked if they do this. Miller could do with a restructuring but he's a good TE and Luke Willson has been coming along nicely. It's not that Graham couldn't fit into the offense (he'd be an awesome red zone target, which is an area we struggled with) but how much it would cost to get him. Not to mention having to give up two 1st rounders, after already relinquishing a 1st rounder for Harvin. We did the 1st-rounder for Harvin in what was a pretty weak draft class. Not this year. Just doesn't strike me that PC and JS are willing to give up major draft capital like this.

You have to wonder about the logic of the rumor. Why would the team that consistently leads the NFL in rushing attempts per game part ways with a superior blocking TE in Miller to bring in TE that couldn't block a tackling dummy. It changes the entire philosophy of the offense, never mind that Graham is a sissy. Makes no sense. Harvin is worth a 1st rounder, Graham is not worth 2 of them.

You have to wonder about the logic of the rumor. Why would the team that consistently leads the NFL in rushing attempts per game part ways with a superior blocking TE in Miller to bring in TE that couldn't block a tackling dummy. It changes the entire philosophy of the offense, never mind that Graham is a sissy. Makes no sense. Harvin is worth a 1st rounder, Graham is not worth 2 of them.

^This.

Again, I think Schefter is trying to drum up news in the slow period before rumors really heat up.

I have a feeling that we can get Miller to restructure. There are a LOT of good TEs in the draft this year so we have decent options. I have my eye on the Notre Dame kid, Troy Niklas, but there are plenty of others (Ebron, Amaro, etc.). With the cap rising by $8m per team, that's a little extra capital with which to resign Bennett and/or Tate, maybe do new deals for Sherm and ET. Losing Red and Rice buys us a little more cap room as well. Going over the top for Graham means probably losing another key guy, plus the loss of draft capital.

^This.

Again, I think Schefter is trying to drum up news in the slow period before rumors really heat up.

I have a feeling that we can get Miller to restructure. There are a LOT of good TEs in the draft this year so we have decent options. I have my eye on the Notre Dame kid, Troy Niklas, but there are plenty of others (Ebron, Amaro, etc.). With the cap rising by $8m per team, that's a little extra capital with which to resign Bennett and/or Tate, maybe do new deals for Sherm and ET. Losing Red and Rice buys us a little more cap room as well. Going over the top for Graham means probably losing another key guy, plus the loss of draft capital.

It really is a compliment that agents are whispering Seattle to the media to drive-up their client's value. We've come along way since Timmah Ruskell.

We've put a 2nd round tender on RFA Jeron Johnson, our backup Strong Safety and special teams contributor. He was hurt this year, but he's a very solid backup. I guess this is a move to try to keep him away from Gus Bradley, who isn't going to cough up a high 2nd for him. He's been grabbing all our other defensive back cast offs.

Last years cap was 123. This year it will be 133. Then I just read next year it will be 140 or so, and the year after 2016, it'll be at 150 mil.

So it looks like our timing is perfect in order to have to resign and extend guys.

Still some tough choices to make with guys like Miller and Clemmons. And then in the future with guys like Lynch and MeBane. Eventually guys do have to go. But to keep kids like Wilson and Baldwin on the O and Thomas, Sherman and Wagner on D looks very realistic.

Last years cap was 123. This year it will be 133. Then I just read next year it will be 140 or so, and the year after 2016, it'll be at 150 mil.

So it looks like our timing is perfect in order to have to resign and extend guys.

Still some tough choices to make with guys like Miller and Clemmons. And then in the future with guys like Lynch and MeBane. Eventually guys do have to go. But to keep kids like Wilson and Baldwin on the O and Thomas, Sherman and Wagner on D looks very realistic.

Maybe timing, maybe Schneider planned it this way.

Just below the surface, we have expiring contracts of KJ Wright and Okung to worry about next year, and Okung's position on the line dictates a hefty salary. Unger needs to bounce back this year or his contract could get him cut, but his injuries were affecting him.

Man, San Fran gave a fat contract to a really old WR in Boldin. Scratching my head at that one. But it sets the market for Tate, and I'm torn on whether he is coming back or not. I think resigning him is a luxury more than a need. But that extra cap space makes it tempting. We could draft a young WR this year, and not some bum like that Harper bust from last year. Sheesh. But, as always, we go best player available, and that's that.

Kaepernick wants how much? 18 million per? :lol: Geez, San Fran is going to be in trouble if they commit to this clown for their immediate future. He is a little b!tch, cries more than Justin Bieber, makes excuses and doesn't take responsibility, can't read a defense, started less than 2 years, and wants a max deal. Holy Toledo, the balls. Russell Wilson is cerebral. Kaepernick is a lunkhead.

Brandon Browner reinstated. What do you think?

All along I've thought Browner and Thurmand were as good as gone. Both being damaged goods. Maybe we get a 1 or 2 year low ball offer and keep 1 of them?

Brandon Browner reinstated. What do you think?

All along I've thought Browner and Thurmand were as good as gone. Both being damaged goods. Maybe we get a 1 or 2 year low ball offer and keep 1 of them?

For the right price, sure, I'd bring in anybody. This isn't about morality, ahem, Ruskell, but it's about winning titles. And the locker room is pretty tight knit where bad attitudes won't be allowed to fester. Browner wasn't forgotten, as his name kept coming up during Superbowl week whenever the Legion of Boom was discussed; the players wouldn't let the media forget Browner was part of the group.

I'm starting to have my doubts as to how effective Thurmond was. Was he really all that effective in slot coverage, because I don't know how noticeable he was in coverage or making plays. That Jeron Johnson tender makes me think, because JJ plays in dime coverage. Browner coming back would be the potential backup to Maxwell/Sherman, so you aren't really counting on him and you can give him an incentive based contract. Is Thurmond's role defined? Is he replaceable by Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon, DeShawn Sheed? Just spitballing.

I like Wright, but to me the most important position is the MLB. We've seen this team be able to swap out weak and strong side LB's in the past very successfully, not so much at MLB. We know the D will have big bucks at DE and in the secondary. I think Wagner is a must. Sooooo picking your spots. LB and DT might have to be the cheaper, turnover spots.

I didn't even realise Okung was up soon, totally missed him. We all know what LT means to (forget about the RB) but to the QB position. But I'm gonna just trust what we have running the show for 2 positions.

What I mean by that is:

As long as Pete Carroll is our head coach. I'm gonna trust his judgement on the secondary. And as long as Tom Cable is our assistant head coach and O-Line guy, I'm gonna trust the direction he wants to go. I can couch potato everything else, but those 2 spots, we're in good hands. If he wants to pay for Okung. I'm good. If he wants something else, I'm good.

For the right price, sure, I'd bring in anybody. This isn't about morality, ahem, Ruskell, but it's about winning titles. And the locker room is pretty tight knit where bad attitudes won't be allowed to fester. Browner wasn't forgotten, as his name kept coming up during Superbowl week whenever the Legion of Boom was discussed; the players wouldn't let the media forget Browner was part of the group.

I'm starting to have my doubts as to how effective Thurmond was. Was he really all that effective in slot coverage, because I don't know how noticeable he was in coverage or making plays. That Jeron Johnson tender makes me think, because JJ plays in dime coverage. Browner coming back would be the potential backup to Maxwell/Sherman, so you aren't really counting on him and you can give him an incentive based contract. Is Thurmond's role defined? Is he replaceable by Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon, DeShawn Sheed? Just spitballing.

Doug Baldwin, Earl Thomas, Bruce Irvin are all on ESPN tweeting welcome back brother towards Browner.

Doug Baldwin, Earl Thomas, Bruce Irvin are all on ESPN tweeting welcome back brother towards Browner.

The NFL really focked Browner. Cost him a chance tomplayinthe SB. I would still sue the NFL if I were him. I would love to have BB back in Seattle although Maxwell is a better player. It was also nice to see BB voted a ring and a full SB share.

The NFL really focked Browner. Cost him a chance tomplayinthe SB. I would still sue the NFL if I were him. I would love to have BB back in Seattle although Maxwell is a better player. It was also nice to see BB voted a ring and a full SB share.

His second offense was from 2007 to 2010. He was supposed to take part in the nfl drug testing due to his 2006 weed fail with the Denver Broncos. But he was in the CFL and not the NFL during those years, so he didn't take any NFL tests and refused them all. The NFL used his refusial as a failed test? I still don't get that premise.

If I don't work for you, why should I take your tests?

Although he has proven to be an idiot. I don't blame him one minute for fighting that issue.

That being said. I just read part of his reinstatement is he will have to sit out some of the 2014 playing season.

He will be allowed to take part in FA and the full ofseason as this IS part of his livelyhood. But come regular season he will be out for some portion.

This is a great setup for a 2 year league min deal. We can say listen fella. We'll give you a 2 year deal, league min, and gaurantee it for you. Or you can take your chances elsewhere and probably not even get an offer. We treated you very well last year take it or leave it.

On Browner, I think the issue will be how many games he needs to sit out. If it's 2 games, I don't see an impact on people interested in his services. If it's 6 games? That would be a tall order. So his interest level in coming back to us too is going to be dependent on that. Missing 6 games but not having to learn a new defense will be different than 6 games in another town. I have seen estimates of either 2, 4 or 6 games missed. Sounds pretty arbitrary to me and maybe depends on how much the league is willing to risk legal action. Maybe they horsetrade a 'ok, we'll give you 2 games but you agree to drop the legal crap' deal.

Just creating news out of nothing. No way we dedicate that much cap space to a freak-eared sissy who disappears in big games.