Sign in to follow this  
shovelheadt

Why all the love for the Browns in free agency

Seriously, what have they really done?

- Cut D'Qwell Jackson..and sign Karlos Dansby to replace him (at a higher cost)

- Lose TJ Ward...sign Donte Whitner to replace him

- Sign Andrew Hawkins to an offer sheet that is worth 3 times more than his tender. I love Hawkins, but really?

- Still a huge hole at RB

A wash at best.

They got old and overpaid for guys past their prime. Kind of like what Redskins did a while back

Like you said a wash

A number of personnel people in the league love the talent of Hawkins so it's no surprise that he got that kind of offer or that the Bengals would match it. I wonder if him potentially going to a division rival tipped the scales...

I think he is overrated. There are a lot of similar wrs in the league that dont get the same love. What about andre roberts?

Because people, fans especially, love the early stages of free agency. Never mind that the early "winners" of free agency rarely amount to the real impact on the field.

Dqwell wasnt really that good. Hawkins has serious potential, super fast. Personally Its great the see the browns doing something. Dumping Banner and Lombardi, Working on FA, trying to get rid of some middle of the road talent.

Revis would be a great play, and he would be coming to the same system. but serious $$$

Im looking forward to the browns and seeing what they are trying to accomplish. I was hoping they would be able to work Alex Mack trade for Revis or some kind of package deal.

Ward was a 1 trick pony. Good guy, worked hard. Just wasnt in the cards for him in this system.

seems like typical browns stuff. they wont get hawkins and they badly overpaid Dansby. Last year in AZ he had as many sacks and more ints than he did in his 3 year stint in Miami, the last time he got paid. i actually like dansby but it doesnt bode well that last time he left AZ, he was basically average and went back to AZ on a one year cheap deal.

As expected, the Bengals declined to match the Hawkins offer.

The 4th receiver on most teams is enough for the browns to shell out a bunch of cash.

The 4th receiver on most teams is enough for the browns to shell out a bunch of cash.

Toss in Gresham, Eifert and Giovani Bernard and he was 7th. That contract would have had him right behind AJ as 2nd highest.

As a Browns fan I've long ago learned to temper expectations. Do I think Dansby is better than Jackson, yep. Do I think they overpaid for him at his age, yep. But when you are the Browns and haven't won since your team was stolen away from you, then you have to overpay to get talent in here. They have an insane amount of cap space, so why not front load all of these contracts to get some real players in here? I'm not the owner, I don't care what they get paid, just get some talent in here.

So I'll take it, atleast they are actually making moves this offseason. Plus, they have 10 draft picks (including 3 of the top 35 picks) to add to a roster that has 5 remaining Pro Bowlers from last season. Obviously QB is the glaring hole, but if they can grab a qb in the draft or Hoyer turns out to be an above average quarterback, there are numerous amounts of weapons on this team and there is no reason they can't challenge in a declining division.

I would love for the Browns to grab Watkins at 4 and they snag Carr or another QB with pick 26. An offense with Josh Gordon, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Cameron, Hawkins in the slot, and Ben Tate in the backfield has the potential to be extremely explosive.

As a Browns fan I've long ago learned to temper expectations. Do I think Dansby is better than Jackson, yep. Do I think they overpaid for him at his age, yep. But when you are the Browns and haven't won since your team was stolen away from you, then you have to overpay to get talent in here. They have an insane amount of cap space, so why not front load all of these contracts to get some real players in here? I'm not the owner, I don't care what they get paid, just get some talent in here.

So I'll take it, atleast they are actually making moves this offseason. Plus, they have 10 draft picks (including 3 of the top 35 picks) to add to a roster that has 5 remaining Pro Bowlers from last season. Obviously QB is the glaring hole, but if they can grab a qb in the draft or Hoyer turns out to be an above average quarterback, there are numerous amounts of weapons on this team and there is no reason they can't challenge in a declining division.

I would love for the Browns to grab Watkins at 4 and they snag Carr or another QB with pick 26. An offense with Josh Gordon, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Cameron, Hawkins in the slot, and Ben Tate in the backfield has the potential to be extremely explosive.

I don't mean to hate. I would actually like to see them do well, though not at the expense of the Bengals. Every time I hear mention of Art Modell, my temp goes up. No fan deserves the BS he put them through.