Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Anti-Semitism Poll

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304655304579551974194329920

About a quarter of the world's population agrees that a number of negative statements about Jews are "probably true," according to a poll aimed at providing a statistical underpinning to the question of how widespread anti-Semitism is globally.

In the survey to be released Tuesday, which covered 101 countries plus the Palestinian territories, 26% of respondents agreed with at least six of 11 negative statements—what its sponsor called stereotypes—about Jews. The questions included "Jews are more loyal to Israel than [their home] country," and "Jews have too much power in the business world."

The only religious group with a higher unfavorability rating in the survey than Jews was Muslims. While 38% rated Jews favorably and 21% unfavorably, both numbers were higher for Muslims, with 47% rating them favorably and 24% unfavorably. In comparison, 62% rated Christians favorably and just 15% unfavorably, the survey found.

In a separate conclusion, the survey found that 35% of respondents had never heard of the Holocaust. And fully 66% had either not heard of it or didn't believe the historical accounts were accurate.

Younger people were significantly less aware of the Holocaust than older people. While 61% of those over 50 years old knew about the tragedy, only 48% of people under 35 were aware of it. That trend is expected to continue with the fading of the generation that lived through the Holocaust, which ended nearly 70 years ago.

Mr. Foxman said a survey of this kind would have been useful long before now, but the money wasn't there. The League declined to disclose the cost.

Among the statements listed were "People hate Jews because of the way they behave"; "Jews think they are better than other people"; "Jews have too much control over the U.S. government"; and "Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust."

The survey suggested that countries with fewer Jewish residents can be as anti-Semitic as those where residents are likelier to meet Jews. Of the poll's 26% of respondents who held anti-Semitic views, 70% had never met a Jewish person.

Always found antisemitism interesting, because as far as I can tell, most of the things Jewish people are criticized for aren't bad qualities - scholarship, attaining positions of power/influence, frugality, etc. Thoughts?

I never understood it either. It almost seems like a jealous thing to me. People always want to tear down those that are a success. as for 66% either not believing or had not hear of the holocost what in the are we teaching our kids these days. How do you get through any class dealing with ww2 and not go in depth about the holocost?

It's interesting in how they frame the discussion. It's really no different in many ways than the gays. i remember reading a business week article wherein they listed the top ten most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington. The AIPAC (or whatever) was the 2nd most powerful behind AARP.

My problem with that is, like the gays, they represent 3-4% of the population - yet have massive influence in (their case) US foreign policy. I couldn't give a shiit if they rule the airwaves or business, but that's just the opposite of democracy. Nobody who represents such a small percentage of the demographic should have such influence. - Whether it's foreign policy (jews) or (for example) education (gays).

The worst part is that the authors of the article actually confronted the AIPAC and they laughingly and dismissively said something to the effect of "Whenever someone says something (like what I've written above), we just brand them as anti-Semitic and they shut up pretty quickly. " They're not stupid. If it works, use it.

To me, this study is a pretty good landscape of AIPAC's strategy - To conflate (for example) those who deny the holocaust with others (not mentioned in this particular article, but I've read others based upon the same study) who believe that Jews/Israel have to much influence on American Foreign Policy is a great form of misdirection. And, like the gays, shames people from expressing an otherwise obvious truth.

I think the Jewish faith is fantastic - probably the closest to true religion one can find. But unfortunately, the Jewish faith is (for better or worse) conflated with Israel as a Nation-State. Those who criticize Israel's conduct find themselves on the dirty end of the "anti-Semitic" stick.

Related note: If you read the Israeli press, they're all over the Donald Sterling story. Sterling changed his name to sound less "jewy" so he could succeed in business. Then turned around and employed the same discriminatory tactics he was too cowardly to face. The American press won't TOUCH that third rail, but the Israeli press is all over it.

I never understood it either. It almost seems like a jealous thing to me. People always want to tear down those that are a success. as for 66% either not believing or had not hear of the holocost what in the ###### are we teaching our kids these days. How do you get through any class dealing with ww2 and not go in depth about the holocost?

That's what I assumed as well. Growing up around a lot of jewish kids/families, I saw first-hand how they instilled a sense of hard work/discipline. Without exception, they were excellent parents. Yet people complain they have "too much power," as if they didn't earn their positions?

It's interesting in how they frame the discussion. It's really no different in many ways than the gays. i remember reading a business week article wherein they listed the top ten most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington. The AIPAC (or whatever) was the 2nd most powerful behind AARP.

My problem with that is, like the gays, they represent 3-4% of the population - yet have massive influence in (their case) US foreign policy. I couldn't give a shiit if they rule the airwaves or business, but that's just the opposite of democracy. Nobody who represents such a small percentage of the demographic should have such influence. - Whether it's foreign policy (jews) or (for example) education (gays).

The worst part is that the authors of the article actually confronted the AIPAC and they laughingly and dismissively said something to the effect of "Whenever someone says something (like what I've written above), we just brand them as anti-Semitic and they shut up pretty quickly. " They're not stupid. If it works, use it.

To me, this study is a pretty good landscape of AIPAC's strategy - To conflate (for example) those who deny the holocaust with others (not mentioned in this particular article, but I've read others based upon the same study) who believe that Jews/Israel have to much influence on American Foreign Policy is a great form of misdirection. And, like the gays, shames people from expressing an otherwise obvious truth.

I think the Jewish faith is fantastic - probably the closest to true religion one can find. But unfortunately, the Jewish faith is (for better or worse) conflated with Israel as a Nation-State. Those who criticize Israel's conduct find themselves on the dirty end of the "anti-Semitic" stick.

Related note: If you read the Israeli press, they're all over the Donald Sterling story. Sterling changed his name to sound less "jewy" so he could succeed in business. Then turned around and employed the same discriminatory tactics he was too cowardly to face. The American press won't TOUCH that third rail, but the Israeli press is all over it.

I'm a fan of isolationism, especially regarding the Middle East. But don't you think our energy interests explain a huge portion of our involvement there, rather than some Jewish conspiracy? FWIW:

The survey didn't find a correlation between anti-Semitism and anti-Israel views. The relationship between the two attitudes is complex.

Though some Jewish leaders argue that only anti-Semitism can explain the harshness of some attacks on Israel, many critics of Israeli policy reject the notion that criticism of the country reflects an anti-Jewish bias.

In the Netherlands, for example, the survey showed that 43% of the population had a negative attitude toward Israel but only 5% accepted six or more of the anti-Semitic statements.

Good Post on your part.

I think the Netherlands has a much more intelligent and nuanced view than most of America. I'd like to think my post and my view falls more in that camp.

As regards your question on energy policy; Sure, the whole world is more or less interconnected on that subject. But, top of the head, look at the horrific things that Israel has done to innocent Palestinians (No, I'm not saying they're all innocent). If this were virtually any other country, we'd be down their throat with sanctions and UN protests over human rights abuses.

It's a complex subject, but I really am impressed by your addendum vis a vis The Netherlands. It's spot-on to the point I was trying to make.

Did you know the Statue of Liberty's nose is 4 feet, six inches long?

Clearly she's Jewish.

Why do we make fun of jews? Becasue you can't make fun of nergos, fags, injuns - feathers not dot, spicks, chinks, chunks, sux, halfbreads, mooslims, or wimmens. It's all thats left. <_<

Why do we make fun of jews? Becasue you can't make fun of nergos, fags, injuns - feathers not dot, spicks, chinks, chunks, sux, halfbreads, mooslims, or wimmens. It's all thats left. <_<

Wrong! There's still fat white guys. Pretty much, that's the only 'acceptable' target left.

See: Any commercial or sitcom in the world.

Did you know the Statue of Liberty's nose is 4 feet, six inches long?

Clearly she's Jewish.

Medstudents kind of woman.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304655304579551974194329920

Always found antisemitism interesting, because as far as I can tell, most of the things Jewish people are criticized for aren't bad qualities - scholarship, attaining positions of power/influence, frugality, etc. Thoughts?

The poll is interesting because it's called "Anti-Semitism" to think that Jews have great influence on world affairs. :dunno: It's also sponsored by the anti-defamation league. :dunno:

Never understood it either. We go and free the Jews and destroy the Nazi's and then return home and treat them like sh!t again.

I remember watching that movie School Ties and thinking, was being a Jew in the 50's comparable to being black?

I never understood it either. It almost seems like a jealous thing to me. People always want to tear down those that are a success. as for 66% either not believing or had not hear of the holocost what in the ###### are we teaching our kids these days. How do you get through any class dealing with ww2 and not go in depth about the holocost?

Acreed.

But at the same time, I don't think it's anti-Semetic to believe Jews have too much power in (insert area here), when they do have a disproportionate amount of power in many areas.

I'm not saying it's bad for a group to have a disproportionate amount of power, but it's a position that's not inherently racist.

What's the difference between a Jew and a Pizza? :ninja:

Pizza tastes better when cooked in an oven?

What's the difference between a Jew and a Pizza? :ninja:

A pizza doesn't scream when you stick it in the oven :ninja:

Focking Polock!

I think Jews get off pretty easily. Their stereotype is being smart and making a lot of money. What's the problem here?

Focking Polock!

That would be drobs, not me.

The poll is interesting because it's called "Anti-Semitism" to think that Jews have great influence on world affairs. :dunno: It's also sponsored by the anti-defamation league. :dunno:

Key words: "too much"

I think it's interesting at least from my experiences that the most persecuted group on the planet also happen to be the most racist.

Never noticed jewish people being particularly racist.

Acreed.

But at the same time, I don't think it's anti-Semetic to believe Jews have too much power in (insert area here), when they do have a disproportionate amount of power in many areas.

I'm not saying it's bad for a group to have a disproportionate amount of power, but it's a position that's not inherently racist.

What if they attained "disproportionate" power by hard work and scholarship - is it

"too much" if they earned it?

Should power be wielded in proportion to one's race/ethnicity/religion or effort/ability?

Never noticed jewish people being particularly racist.

Donald Sterling is just misunderstood.

Funny thing is there was a time Jews were considered low class in the United States. Like if the Jews started moving into your neighborhood property values were going to plummet.

Key words: "too much"

So the ADL believes it's not possible to have "too much" control/power? :dunno:

Ten-hut! My name is Lt. Aldo Raine and I'm puttin' together a special team; and I need me eight soldiers. Eight Jewish-American soldiers. Now, y'all might've of heard rumors about the armada happening soon. Well, we'll be leaving a little earlier. We're gonna be dropped into France, dressed as civilians. And once we're in enemy territory, as a bushwackin' guerrilla army, we're gonna be doing one thing and one thing only killing Nazis. Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the godddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily and jump out of a fuckin' air-o-plane to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain't got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Jew-hatin', mass murderin' maniac, and they need to be dee-stroyed. That's why any and every sumbitch we find wearin' a Nazi uniform, they're gonna die. Now, I am the direct descendant of the mountain man Jim Bridger, and that means I got a little Injun in me. And our battle plan will be that of an Apache resistance. We will be cruel to the Germans, and through our cruelty they will know who we are. And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us, and the Germans won't be able to help themselves but to imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, and our boot heels, and the edge of our knives. And the Germans will be sickened by us, and the Germans will talk about us, and the Germans will fear us. And when the Germans close their eyes at night and they're tortured by their subconscious for the evil that they've done, it will be with thoughts of us that they are tortured with. Sound good? [soldiers yell, "Yes, sir!"] That's what I like to hear. But I got a word of warning for all you would-be-warriors: when you join my command, you take on debt, a debt you owe me personally. Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps! And all y'all will get me one hundred Nazi scalps taken from the heads of one hundred dead Nazis, or you will die tryin'!

So the ADL believes it's not possible to have "too much" control/power? :dunno:

at its most fundamental level the adl is no different than the rainbow coalition or al sharpton or the catholic League all these organizations thrive on the idea of being discriminated against without discrimination they have no purpose they have no funding.

so, take whatever they say with a grain of kosher salt.

I never will understand how a white person can hate jews?

I work in an office full of them.

Not sure, but if it is earned and not abused, what's the problem?

Your anti-Semitic beliefs.

I never will understand how a white person can hate jews?

I work in an office full of them.

two words Harvey Fierstein

this Jewish song's not too shabby.

What if they attained "disproportionate" power by hard work and scholarship - is it

"too much" if they earned it?

Should power be wielded in proportion to one's race/ethnicity/religion or effort/ability?

I'm not going to argue with you because I don't disagree with you.

But you could say the same thing about whites having power and money in this country, and there's plenty of complaints about that with nary an accusation that the belief is anti-white.

Even throwing out race/religion, lots of people believe that the rich have too much money and power. Is that belief anti-wealthy?

I'm not going to argue with you because I don't disagree with you.

But you could say the same thing about whites having power and money in this country, and there's plenty of complaints about that with nary an accusation that the belief is anti-white.

Even throwing out race/religion, lots of people believe that the rich have too much money and power. Is that belief anti-wealthy?

As long as it is earned and the power isn't abused, I have no problem with it.