Sign in to follow this  
American Chewy

Calling it: Stacy breaks out this week

with everything aligning against Zac Stacy...his hurt calf and the bad matchup to go along with pedestrian numbers all year...I believe this will be the game he emerges with a big week.

reasoning? first off, its the first division game for the rams and they are at home and need to win. I think they pulled Zac quickly from the eagles game which was out of reach so they could have him for the big home division game. The rams are 1-3 but if they can do some damage in the division they could stay alive. Austin Davis has shown some spark, enough that teams will have to start respecting the pass, especially from emerging WR Quick. Zac has averaged 4.2 ypc, the problem is they aren't giving him the ball enough. Last season when given 20+ carries he delivered. In the rams only win this year against TB, Zac got 19 carries, his season high. I think the rams could come out with a gameplan to run right at the 49ers, despite their supposedly great run def.

And what of that defense? In week 1 Murray had no problem against the niners when he got 22 carries putting up 118yrds for a 5.4ypc avg and last week Charles had 80 yards on 15 carries for a 5.3 ypc avg. the other teams the 49ers have faced don't commit to the run like the cowboys and chiefs do. Arizona, Chicago, and philly are pass heavy teams (look at the run/pass ratios link on the fftoday homepage). I believe the niners can be run on and I think finally the rams will come out in a must win game and run run run and Zac will get 20-25 touches and put up 20+ points like we've been hoping for all season.

And if anyone is concerned about his injury last year Stacy was highly questionable before the titans game and had his biggest game of the year. he plays through injury and plays well. And as for Cunningham he will get some touches I am sure but it will be in the roll he's had all year which is to give Stacy a breather or when they run hurry up or in garbage time. I don't think this staff envisions Cunningham as any kind of workhorse. he's a great complementary player though.

Start Stacy with confidence and ride him to victory!!

with everything aligning against Zac Stacy...his hurt calf and the bad matchup to go along with pedestrian numbers all year...I believe this will be the game he emerges with a big week.

reasoning? first off, its the first division game for the rams and they are at home and need to win. I think they pulled Zac quickly from the eagles game which was out of reach so they could have him for the big home division game. The rams are 1-3 but if they can do some damage in the division they could stay alive. Austin Davis has shown some spark, enough that teams will have to start respecting the pass, especially from emerging WR Quick. Zac has averaged 4.2 ypc, the problem is they aren't giving him the ball enough. Last season when given 20+ carries he delivered. In the rams only win this year against TB, Zac got 19 carries, his season high. I think the rams could come out with a gameplan to run right at the 49ers, despite their supposedly great run def.

And what of that defense? In week 1 Murray had no problem against the niners when he got 22 carries putting up 118yrds for a 5.4ypc avg and last week Charles had 80 yards on 15 carries for a 5.3 ypc avg. the other teams the 49ers have faced don't commit to the run like the cowboys and chiefs do. Arizona, Chicago, and philly are pass heavy teams (look at the run/pass ratios link on the fftoday homepage). I believe the niners can be run on and I think finally the rams will come out in a must win game and run run run and Zac will get 20-25 touches and put up 20+ points like we've been hoping for all season.

And if anyone is concerned about his injury last year Stacy was highly questionable before the titans game and had his biggest game of the year. he plays through injury and plays well. And as for Cunningham he will get some touches I am sure but it will be in the roll he's had all year which is to give Stacy a breather or when they run hurry up or in garbage time. I don't think this staff envisions Cunningham as any kind of workhorse. he's a great complementary player though.

Ok

I disagree strongly - I think Stacy is ineffective and they work Cunningham in more. I could see Cunningham grabbing 5 receptions and getting like 10 carries.

Nice bunch of BS. Stop justifying your drafting him and lack of draft prep. :sleep:

Stacy is a "JAG" type. He's a warm body until they find something else which luckily for him probably isn't on the roster currently. He does everything OK but nothing well. There aren't many guys who make careers like that as a starter.

I've read that the two most effective topical remedies should contain either Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid.

Actually I could see Stacy as a buy low for a couple reasons - the injury and the emergence of Austin Davis, who should seriously free things up for the run game if he keeps this up (which I think he will).

Roadblock - the schedule, starting with SF. The 9ers held Philly without so much as an offensive point. - Philly. Not even a FGA. - And then last week they did a damn nice job of limiting Charles.

I would probably take a flying shot at trading for him if I had the right bait, which I don't.

Nice bunch of BS. Stop justifying your drafting him and lack of draft prep. :sleep:

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing here, it wouldn't be much of a prediction if it were something obvious. but saying I had no draft prep is silly. on the night I took him Sam Bradford was still the QB and there was no indication that the rams would go from a team that were in the top 10 most run heavy in the run/pass ratio (46% run plays) to a team that is now top 10 most pass heavy (40% run plays). I didn't expect Bradford to play every game but after he was lost for the year apparently they decided they would sling it a bunch. It has made no sense because most thought they had an above avg defense and an improved line and would be able to play ball control, esp after showing they could pound it with success last year. maybe you had the crystal ball and you had a perfect draft and managed to avoid all the RB's that haven't panned out this year but I'll say this, at least Stacy is still playing and when he's had the ball he's had success.

RB's Yards per touch ranking-ADP 10th rnd or better (40 touch min):

Sproles 9.0

P.Thomas 6.7

F. Jackson 6.3

L. Bell 6.2

Vereen 6.0

Murray 5.5

L.Miller 5.4

Ellington 5.3

Gore 5.3

Lynch 5.3

Forte 5.2

Stacy 5.1

Foster 5.1

Jennings 5.0

Bernard 4.9

Bush 4.7

Charles 4.7

Lacy 4.5

T.Rich 4.4

Spiller 4.3

Morris 4.2

S.Jackson 4.1

C.Johnson 4.0

Ridley 3.8

Gerhart 3.7

Ball 3.7

Martin 3.4

McCoy 3.2

The highlighted players went in the 5th round or better. Stacy is 8th on that list. The guy just needs to get the ball. If Fisher wants to keep his job, he will go back to a more run first approach and I think it starts this week.

FYI Players taken after 10th rnd/waiver pickups:

Bradshaw 6.0

Ivory 5.9

Forsett 5.7

K.Robinson 5.2

Cunningham 4.9

Asiata 4.6

K.Davis 4.5

West 4.5

A.Williams 3.4

D.Brown 2.8

• Like 2

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing here, it wouldn't be much of a prediction if it were something obvious. but saying I had no draft prep is silly. on the night I took him Sam Bradford was still the QB and there was no indication that the rams would go from a team that were in the top 10 most run heavy in the run/pass ratio (46% run plays) to a team that is now top 10 most pass heavy (40% run plays). I didn't expect Bradford to play every game but after he was lost for the year apparently they decided they would sling it a bunch. It has made no sense because most thought they had an above avg defense and an improved line and would be able to play ball control, esp after showing they could pound it with success last year. maybe you had the crystal ball and you had a perfect draft and managed to avoid all the RB's that haven't panned out this year but I'll say this, at least Stacy is still playing and when he's had the ball he's had success.

Sproles 9.0

P.Thomas 6.7

F. Jackson 6.3

L. Bell 6.2

Vereen 6.0

Murray 5.5

L.Miller 5.4

Ellington 5.3

Gore 5.3

Lynch 5.3

Forte 5.2

Stacy 5.1

Foster 5.1

Jennings 5.0

Bernard 4.9

Bush 4.7

Charles 4.7

Lacy 4.5

T.Rich 4.4

Spiller 4.3

Morris 4.2

S.Jackson 4.1

C.Johnson 4.0

Ridley 3.8

Gerhart 3.7

Ball 3.7

Martin 3.4

McCoy 3.2

The highlighted players went in the 5th round or better. Stacy is 8th on that list. The guy just needs to get the ball. If Fisher wants to keep his job, he will go back to a more run first approach and I think it starts this week.

Bradshaw 6.0

Ivory 5.9

Forsett 5.7

K.Robinson 5.2

Cunningham 4.9

Asiata 4.6

K.Davis 4.5

West 4.5

A.Williams 3.4

D.Brown 2.8

You say "Start Stacy with confidence and ride him to victory!!"

You can honestly say that you would start Stacy with confidence against that Frisco defense who hasn't allowed a TD or more than a hundred yards to a RB since Week #1? You still confident?

Sproles 9.0

P.Thomas 6.7

F. Jackson 6.3

L. Bell 6.2

Vereen 6.0

Murray 5.5

L.Miller 5.4

Ellington 5.3

Gore 5.3

Lynch 5.3

Forte 5.2

Stacy 5.1

Foster 5.1

Jennings 5.0

Bernard 4.9

Bush 4.7

Charles 4.7

Lacy 4.5

T.Rich 4.4

Spiller 4.3

Morris 4.2

S.Jackson 4.1

C.Johnson 4.0

Ridley 3.8

Gerhart 3.7

Ball 3.7

Martin 3.4

McCoy 3.2

Bradshaw 6.0

Ivory 5.9

Forsett 5.7

K.Robinson 5.2

Cunningham 4.9

Asiata 4.6

K.Davis 4.5

West 4.5

A.Williams 3.4

D.Brown 2.8

Pay attention, hotgumbo1. This is what real research looks like - and this department, it doesn't appear that you can even hold a candle.

You can honestly say that you would start Stacy with confidence against that Frisco defense who hasn't allowed a TD or more than a hundred yards to a RB since Week #1? You still confident?

:rolleyes:

Yes - and the Patriots looked like hot dung @ KC, but smoked a VERY talented Cincy team - off their bye - @ home, right?

SF @ home is a teensy bit different an animal as SF away from home, wouldn't you say?

I tried to make it clear that SF has only faced 2 run heavy teams and if the Chiefs didn't bumble their play calling so badly last week they would have given Jamal enough touches to easily break 100 yards as he had over 5ypc on his 15 carries. The SF run def is overated I believe.

as for my confidence level, a part of it is based on the limited options for RB's both on my team and on waivers...but outside of the obvious plays I think Stacy represents a very good play this week and perhaps going forward if the Rams can pull their heads out and call more runs. my only concern is his inj situation but all indications so far is he will be fine. he's played through dings before.

Pay attention, hotgumbo1. This is what real research looks like - and this department, it doesn't appear that you can even hold a candle.

Could care less about your research. Stop avoiding my question.

You feel confident about starting Stacy against Frisco defense?

BTW let me share my draft prep regarding St Louis RB's. "Hmmm they've got NFC West teams about 6 times. Niners, Cards, Hawks pretty stout in 2013 against run. Last couple of years the same??? Yup. I'm staying away from Rams RB's unless they're a steal in later rounds." Took all of 4 seconds.

Even marked it in my FFToday Draft Buddy (that's called a plug).... "dont draft Rams RBs still late if avail."

Easy Weezy.

Could care less about your research. Stop avoiding my question.

You feel confident about starting Stacy against Frisco defense?

BTW let me share my draft prep regarding St Louis RB's. "Hmmm they've got NFC West teams about 6 times. Niners, Cards, Hawks pretty stout in 2013 against run. Last couple of years the same??? Yup. I'm staying away from Rams RB's unless they're a steal in later rounds." Took all of 4 seconds.

Even marked it in my FFToday Draft Buddy (that's called a plug).... "dont draft Rams RBs still late if avail."

Easy Weezy.

All well and good but San Fran and zona both lost significant players on defense so it was thought they would take a step back. TBD.

I wonder if owners that drafted McCoy, Charles or Peterson did their homework before their drafts? All are underperforming for where they were drafted. I guess lack of draft preparation prevented people from taking them there. :doh: Some statements just make no sense.....LOL.

I'm not starting him Monday night with him limited in practice this week not because of the San Francisco defense that hasn't been all that impressive. However I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams have some success running the ball and if that is a healthy Stacy he will put up over a 100 and at least a TD. But he will be doing it from my bench.

Stacy is only ever good if he gets a high volume of carries. Given how bad the Rams have been and how effective Cuningham has been, I don't see Stacy getting the volume he needs to put up good numbers. He's not a special back, he's just a guy that can carry the ball 20 times a game.

I'm not starting him Monday night with him limited in practice this week not because of the San Francisco defense that hasn't been all that impressive. However I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams have some success running the ball and if that is a healthy Stacy he will put up over a 100 and at least a TD. But he will be doing it from my bench.

Not impressive vs RBs???

Since Week#1

Forte 21 yards

Ellington 62 yards

McCoy 17 yards

Charles 80 yards

No TDs.

:shocking:

Not impressive vs RBs???

Since Week#1

Forte 21 yards

Ellington 62 yards

McCoy 17 yards

Charles 80 yards

No TDs.

:shocking:

Yep. You've convinced me. Pulling Asiata and starting Stacy with confidence MNF. It's time for that D to look extremely pedestrian.

BTW: your research about what Stacy faces fails on a couple of levels:

1) There was valid reason to question the Ds in the NFC West, and many felt that they were going to take a step back and be far more vulnerable to the run;

2) The Rams don't face 6 NFC West run Ds during fantasy; they face 5, and notably - the most important one they miss is @SEA week 17.

3) In week 8 last year - against SEA @ home - Stacy rushed for over 130 yards.

So it's stupid to scoff that he cannot put up good numbers against SF @ home, who he has never faced @ home (having rushed for 72 yards against them @ SF later in the year).

Glad to see some encouraging words backed up with a some solid reasoning. Count me in as an FF owner who is in a situation where I need to use Zac (the Rashad injury). I am feeling a lot better about it now.

And now thinking about it, I think an additional reason should be the Monday night game factor. It has to be one of his (if not the) biggest stage of the season. Largest audience TV-wise and in front of the rowdiest home crowd of the season. I don't think it would take much convincing for any player to be out there.

Glad to see some encouraging words backed up with a some solid reasoning. Count me in as an FF owner who is in a situation where I need to use Zac (the Rashad injury). I am feeling a lot better about it now.

And now thinking about it, I think an additional reason should be the Monday night game factor. It has to be one of his (if not the) biggest stage of the season. Largest audience TV-wise and in front of the rowdiest home crowd of the season. I don't think it would take much convincing for any player to be out there.

I also think its an absolute must win esp with this coaching staff needing to show real results this year...this slinging it all around the yard with a first year starter hasn't worked. run it and rely on your defense. make kaepernick make mistakes.

Stacy is not even practicing... he would be lucky if he gets 80% of his normal workload.

fisher said he wouldn't practice a lot...this is wednesday for them.

Yep. You've convinced me. Pulling Asiata and starting Stacy with confidence MNF. It's time for that D to look extremely pedestrian.

BTW: your research about what Stacy faces fails on a couple of levels:

1) There was valid reason to question the Ds in the NFC West, and many felt that they were going to take a step back and be far more vulnerable to the run;

2) The Rams don't face 6 NFC West run Ds during fantasy; they face 5, and notably - the most important one they miss is @SEA week 17.

3) In week 8 last year - against SEA @ home - Stacy rushed for over 130 yards.

So it's stupid to scoff that he cannot put up good numbers against SF @ home, who he has never faced @ home (having rushed for 72 yards against them @ SF later in the year).

Cool. Start him.

Odds are in your favor.

They sure are.

Cool. Start him.

Odds are in your favor.

They sure are.

How would you know? You haven't even asked what the alternative starter(s) would be. :rolleyes:

Yeah not so sure here... The Rams are like Jekyll and Hyde from last season, and I'm not certain the RB's have much to do about it. Basically Stacy and Cunningham are the same runner. They each go about 220 while standing 5' 10" or under. They're each running at a 4.2 ypc clip, which is the team average of course. They both have soft hands out of the backfield, and can pass block. Stacy probably has better vision as a runner, and has proven himself in a workhorse role. While Cunningham brings a little more burst to the table. My doubts about Cunningham dealt mostly with his ability to handle a full workload, though seeing the way he came back from his torn patellar tendon injury in 2012 does much to dispell such thoughts (he re-habbed what supposedly was a 12 month injury in about half the time, miraculously participating in the April combine where he ran a 4.51 40 while at probably 75% health). He's a tough kid.

However it's all much ado about nothing as the Rams are not the team they were a year ago. In 2013 they relied on a power running game to team with a ferocious pass rush that wreaked mayhem on opposing QB's. Their front four shortened drives, caused errant passes, and forced turnovers. After four games this season, compounded no doubt by the loss of Chris Long, the Rams have exactly ONE sack, while their defense has given up a stunning 152 yards rushing per game. It's played well at times but has displayed maddening inconsistency. They held DeMarco Murray in check more than any other team has, yet Bobby Rainey did them for 144 yards. They lead the league in passing defense, yet blew coverages in two straight games which led to killer touchdowns.

To top it off the Rams are inexperienced, fielding the youngest team in the league, who's starting QB has 3 1/2 games of NFL experience. Laying aside who gets the rock, Stacy or Cunningham, they are simply not running the ball enough to render that question meaningful, averaging about 1 1/2 passes per game compared to rushes. This ranks them close to 20th in the league in such category.

Succeeding at fantasy football is about reading the tea leaves. One could point to Fisher's pre-season statement of "He's our running back," referring to Zac Stacy. One could assume the way to right this ship is get back to playing football as they did last season, pounding one featured back 20-25 times per game. Obviously Dallas has proved merit in such approach. But right now, regardless of the 49ers coming up at home, this team is too much of a mess to count on that.

Yeah not so sure here... The Rams are like Jekyll and Hyde from last season, and I'm not certain the RB's have much to do about it. Basically Stacy and Cunningham are the same runner. They each go about 220 while standing 5' 10" or under. They're each running at a 4.2 ypc clip, which is the team average of course. They both have soft hands out of the backfield, and can pass block. Stacy probably has better vision as a runner, and has proven himself in a workhorse role. While Cunningham brings a little more burst to the table. My doubts about Cunningham dealt mostly with his ability to handle a full workload, though seeing the way he came back from his torn patellar tendon injury in 2012 does much to dispell such thoughts (he re-habbed what supposedly was a 12 month injury in about half the time, miraculously participating in the April combine where he ran a 4.51 40 while at probably 75% health). He's a tough kid.

However it's all much ado about nothing as the Rams are not the team they were a year ago. In 2013 they relied on a power running game to team with a ferocious pass rush that wreaked mayhem on opposing QB's. Their front four shortened drives, caused errant passes, and forced turnovers. After four games this season, compounded no doubt by the loss of Chris Long, the Rams have exactly ONE sack, while their defense has given up a stunning 152 yards rushing per game. It's played well at times but has displayed maddening inconsistency. They held DeMarco Murray in check more than any other team has, yet Bobby Rainey did them for 144 yards. They lead the league in passing defense, yet blew coverages in two straight games which led to killer touchdowns.

To top it off the Rams are inexperienced, fielding the youngest team in the league, who's starting QB has 3 1/2 games of NFL experience. Laying aside who gets the rock, Stacy or Cunningham, they are simply not running the ball enough to render that question meaningful, averaging about 1 1/2 passes per game compared to rushes. This ranks them close to 20th in the league in such category.

Succeeding at fantasy football is about reading the tea leaves. One could point to Fisher's pre-season statement of "He's our running back," referring to Zac Stacy. One could assume the way to right this ship is get back to playing football as they did last season, pounding one featured back 20-25 times per game. Obviously Dallas has proved merit in such approach. But right now, regardless of the 49ers coming up at home, this team is too much of a mess to count on that.

good thoughts. my hope is that since this is the first division game and this team and staff knows they need a win they will go back to a winning formula. they beat the bucs by giving the ball to stacy and playing defense. I hope they will do that Monday. they need to. the rams playcalling has been one of the more baffling things I've seen this season from any team.

How would you know? You haven't even asked what the alternative starter(s) would be. :rolleyes:

You said you were pulling Asiata.

Go ahead start Stacy.

Let us know how it works.

I'm excited.

Very.

good thoughts. my hope is that since this is the first division game and this team and staff knows they need a win they will go back to a winning formula. they beat the bucs by giving the ball to stacy and playing defense. I hope they will do that Monday. they need to. the rams playcalling has been one of the more baffling things I've seen this season from any team.

Yup the Bucs are a scary good team. More reason to start Stacy. In fact Stacy is the start of the week apparently.

Debating going with stinking McFadden instead of this cluster fvck. Not practicing, who know what % of carries will be if he even plays and on Monday night when it's too late.