Sign in to follow this  
JT

Who are the guitar geeks?

I know some of you play. Let's discuss:

First got interested when my Cob Scout troop went to Al Albert's Steel Pier in Atlantic City, a big outdoor music venue. The Grass Roots played, and all I remember is that a bunch of girls REALLY dug the guitarist (who it turns out, years later, is Creed Bratton on THE OFFICE). Begged parents for a guitar; no dice.

Couple years later my BIL gave me an old 12 string, strung with 6, and showed me a couple open chords. Every song in the world , for the next year or so, would be played with those same chords.

First band in high school, but too busy with sports to do much with it. Found you got girls that way too.

Started playing with some bands after college when I moved to OK. Always some country outfit easily wowed by a guy who could play some decent lead guitar.

Messed around with it through the years. After my lung transplant, when my physical activity slowed, I found renewed interest. Started really working at it, learning to read music, picking up some keyboards, utilizing the new technology for home recording.

I've got a late-80's Les Paul Studio, a 2013 LP 60's tribute, 2000 Fender Tele hybrid, couple acoustics and a nylon string built for me by a luthier in OKC.

So what's your guitar or music story?

I have a fender bass I will eventually learn how to play on YouTube.

I was a gift, us dumb plumbahs play the drums.

Fender Strat, Fender amp (12" speaker), Zoom effects plug in

I'm not very good. :(

Fender Strat, Fender amp (12" speaker), Zoom effects plug in

I'm not very good. :(

Doesn't matter. Other people tend to think I'm better than I do.

I have a Mesa Boogie stack, an old Fender Champ, and use a Sonic Port to play through Garage Band, Apogee, etc.

Do you try to play other people's songs or just like to make your own sounds on the guitar?

my son is pretty good....started at 8 last year. i got him a 3/4 LTD ESP electric that's decent quality. i just restrung it for first time...not as easy as it looked :wall:

then i got him a 3/4 yamaha acoustic..FG-Jr?. then school had opening for bass (no guitar in band)...i got him an Ibanez Mikro. i guess as he gets bigger and sticks with it...we'll upgrade to quality full size stuff :headbanger:

i wish i started at his age and/or could play now. :(

eta: got the entry Line 6 amp for guitar and then got a peavey micro bass amp off craigslist

I caught the bug early listening to Cream and Hendrix when I was a little kid. Always had a great ear for music, but never could play for sh1t. I can strum some chords and plink a little, but there just isn't the talent.

My love of guitars has turned me into a collector. My inventory right now:

1959 Gibson ES 335 dot neck cherry red in amazing condition.It's my retirement. Very rare, very expensive. I bought two of these back in the mid 80s, one was a tobacco sunburst, but not the dot neck. I sold that one 10 years ago for 12K. It's got to be worth 2o by now.

1962 Strat reissue. Love this guitar, it looks and plays just like the original vintage.

1963 sunburst Strat that is beat to hell. It was played hard. I found it in a pawn shop in a small town. They just saw it as an old beat up guitar, got it for $200 back in the mid 90s.

1953 Martin accoustic D-28 with an Engelmann Spruce top. A work of art ans sounds sweeter than a mother's voice.

i have 3...a knockoff les paul, and a takamine (sp) like garth brooks first started with.

i learned 30 years ago, after piano. in the mid-80s, a teacher of mine loved that 70s "i'm stoned and this song is 15 minutes long" music ruined me on groups like the eagles. i hate "hotel california" even now.

i learned more after 30 on the electric guitar due to the tab sites on the internet. i wish that tab stuff had been around all along. it would have made playing a lot of fun.

currently, all 3 live in their cases under the bed.

i would like a prs custom 24, but they aren't cheap even on craigslist.

i have 3...a knockoff les paul, and a takamine (sp) like garth brooks first started with.

i learned 30 years ago, after piano. in the mid-80s, a teacher of mine loved that 70s "i'm stoned and this song is 15 minutes long" music ruined me on groups like the eagles. i hate "hotel california" even now.

i learned more after 30 on the electric guitar due to the tab sites on the internet. i wish that tab stuff had been around all along. it would have made playing a lot of fun.

currently, all 3 live in their cases under the bed.

i would like a prs custom 24, but they aren't cheap even on craigslist.

You're right about how the internet and access to tabs, lessons etc has made the process so much easier.

People get all "oooh, you play by ear" but my ears have always had to work really hard. Not like those people that can just pick up and play anything.

But you know, even after the tab stuff, I found that they were right all along: learn scales and it all makes sense.

I caught the bug early listening to Cream and Hendrix when I was a little kid. Always had a great ear for music, but never could play for sh1t. I can strum some chords and plink a little, but there just isn't the talent.

1959 Gibson ES 335 dot neck cherry red in amazing condition.It's my retirement. Very rare, very expensive. I bought two of these back in the mid 80s, one was a tobacco sunburst, but not the dot neck. I sold that one 10 years ago for 12K. It's got to be worth 2o by now.

1962 Strat reissue. Love this guitar, it looks and plays just like the original vintage.

1963 sunburst Strat that is beat to hell. It was played hard. I found it in a pawn shop in a small town. They just saw it as an old beat up guitar, got it for $200 back in the mid 90s.

1953 Martin accoustic D-28 with an Engelmann Spruce top. A work of art ans sounds sweeter than a mother's voice.

Wow! That's a hell of a collection for a guy who professes to not be able to play. My guess is you're probably not that bad. But I think people are reluctant to brag about their playing these days lest the dreaded "hey, post a video" request comes up. And no, I'm not posting any videos.

Some of the reissues are really nice guitars. The LP 60's reissue is so much lighter and more balanced than the originals, which can be like a weapon, but play wonderfully.

I have two 2004 American Series Fender hardtail Strats. Both sunburst. Only difference is one has a rosewood fingerboard and the other is maple.

1972 00-18 Martin

1986 MIJ Fender Esquire

1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. I had it modified by a well known amp builder when it wasn't so valuable to over 40 watts with 6L6's. I run it with 6V6's now. Also has a JBL K-120

1938 National Model B amp. Extremely rare. Actually too rare to be very valuable. Claims 20 watts. Has a replaced 12".

Live Guitar Effects:

Visual Effects V3 Delay

Pigtronix Philosophers Tone compressor

GST Geminus Negotium (double circuit overdrive) This is from a small builder in Denton, TX.

GST FantastiVibe (chorus and vibrato)

Practice:

AdrenaLinn III and or a Boss RC-300 looper.

Have a small room full of instruments. Not as many as I once had. Sold off $9500 of guitars and amps 3 years ago when I got married.

Still have a few decent pieces.

62 reissue Strat with the tweed case. Plays great.

63 Strat with original tweed case. Got it from Dan Toler of the Allman Brothers Band.

Couple of Les Paul's. one is a Gold Top, signed by Les on my birthday, backstage at the Iridum in NYC.

One SG.

Couple of archtops, a L4 and L5. Both are natural.

And maybe my favorite electric is my sunburst Explorer.

Run through a silver face Fender Twin, or this funky 100 watt snakeskin covered tube amp from Korea.

Handful of acoustics. couple J200s, which have to be the best sounding acoustics ever, Breedlove Concert series, Yamaha 12 string, and a couple cheap acoustics that play great and sound good- my Epiphone and Fender.

There's some other miscellaneous crap in there, never know what you'll find when you open a case.

Can't play for sh't, really don't have the time to pick it back up. Mostly just break something out and fire it up when I've been drinking a bit.

Nice collection.

That 335 sounds like a nice piece.

Funny, I've got a 62 reissue Strat that I love, and a sunburst 63 that I seldom play, just because its so old that I'd hate to tear it up.

Nice collection.

That 335 sounds like a nice piece.

Funny, I've got a 62 reissue Strat that I love, and a sunburst 63 that I seldom play, just because its so old that I'd hate to tear it up.

The beauty of the reissues.

I have two 2004 American Series Fender hardtail Strats. Both sunburst. Only difference is one has a rosewood fingerboard and the other is maple.

1972 00-18 Martin

1986 MIJ Fender Esquire

1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. I had it modified by a well known amp builder when it wasn't so valuable to over 40 watts with 6L6's. I run it with 6V6's now. Also has a JBL K-120

1938 National Model B amp. Extremely rare. Actually too rare to be very valuable. Claims 20 watts. Has a replaced 12".

Live Guitar Effects:

Visual Effects V3 Delay

Pigtronix Philosophers Tone compressor

GST Geminus Negotium (double circuit overdrive) This is from a small builder in Denton, TX.

GST FantastiVibe (chorus and vibrato)

Practice:

AdrenaLinn III and or a Boss RC-300 looper.

Who/what got you started?

What guitarists have been the biggest influence on your playing?

I never picked up an instrument until I was in my late 30's. My little brother came to live with me in Dallas for awhile and he showed me some basics. I traveled for biz a lot back then so I'd take my guitar to have something to do while sitting around in a hotel room. Learned by playing along with songs and figuring them out as I went.

If YouTube had been around back then, it would have accelerated my learning 10-fold.

Started out with an Ibanez, then started buying different guitars just to see what I liked. At one point, I had 15-16 altogether.

I used to have a Les Paul. Loved the sound, but didn't like the weight of it. I've had a few Strats, which are great, but limited due to the single coils. I still have one, but it's nothing special or collectible. Had a Martin Parlor Guitar for awhile, but the sound wasn't very big, so I got rid of it. Also had Seagull acoustic/elec for awhile but I hated the finish on it so I sold it.

Right now, I've got one Strat, plus an Ephiphone Dot. My acoustic is a Taylor 210e.

I jam with a friend or two occasionally and I play in the contemporary service at my church every Sunday. We do a mix of acoustic/electric songs across all genres including a bit of secular music. This week we're doing Roll with The Changes and I Dare You to Move. I'm having fun with it.

I never picked up an instrument until I was in my late 30's. My little brother came to live with me in Dallas for awhile and he showed me some basics. I traveled for biz a lot back then so I'd take my guitar to have something to do while sitting around in a hotel room. Learned by playing along with songs and figuring them out as I went.

If YouTube had been around back then, it would have accelerated my learning 10-fold.

Started out with an Ibanez, then started buying different guitars just to see what I liked. At one point, I had 15-16 altogether.

I used to have a Les Paul. Loved the sound, but didn't like the weight of it. I've had a few Strats, which are great, but limited due to the single coils. I still have one, but it's nothing special or collectible. Had a Martin Parlor Guitar for awhile, but the sound wasn't very big, so I got rid of it. Also had Seagull acoustic/elec for awhile but I hated the finish on it so I sold it.

Right now, I've got one Strat, plus an Ephiphone Dot. My acoustic is a Taylor 210e.

I jam with a friend or two occasionally and I play in the contemporary service at my church every Sunday. We do a mix of acoustic/electric songs across all genres including a bit of secular music. This week we're doing Roll with The Changes and I Dare You to Move. I'm having fun with it.

That's great. I admire people that develop interests and pursue them "later in life" (ie during that time we're supposed to be working and forget all the fun stuff).

If you liked playing the Les Paul but disliked the weight, I'd encourage you to check out one of the "Tribute" reissues. They're lighter and better balanced than the originals and the difference in playability and sound isn't that pronounced. Still quality, USA built. I played one on stage virtually out of the box without any additional setup (though after I did take it to me tech for adjustment).

Keep having fun! My "jam sessions" have become playing multiple tracks myself for the most part. I sometimes miss the exchange of ideas. But usually I'm just anti-social.

Who/what got you started?

What guitarists have been the biggest influence on your playing?

I loved music and got into some high school bands, and then a college band. Later in SoCal, I played in a successful bar band long term. We did originals along with a wide range of covers from Chuck and Buddy to X, Johnny Rotten, Los Lobos, Squeeze; whatever. Lots of bands had guitar players who could play Page solos (we would double the leads sometimes) but we were lucky to have a vocalist who could nail Plant or Tyler.

I never played with records much. Just enough to get the hooks and fill in the blanks with my own fills. I write songs. Although I don't claim to play like them, I like Clapton, Trower, and Santana for old school. I like a lot of blues with Freddie King and Mike Bloomfield at the top. Current stuff I like is The Black Keys and Jack White. I also like alternative country.

yo my son wants a wawa pedal for christmas. he's pretty good for his age and kicks out zep tunes. he says he wants to play voodoo chile :music_guitarred:

any tips? can i get one using his existing amp or do i need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$ for new amp, etc.

TIA

yo my son wants a wawa pedal for christmas. he's pretty good for his age and kicks out zep tunes. he says he wants to play voodoo chile :music_guitarred:

any tips? can i get one using his existing amp or do i need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$ for new amp, etc.

TIA

Get a Dunlop Crybaby, and and extra cord.

You can run it through your current amp.

• Like 1

I loved music and got into some high school bands, and then a college band. Later in SoCal, I played in a successful bar band long term. We did originals along with a wide range of covers from Chuck and Buddy to X, Johnny Rotten, Los Lobos, Squeeze; whatever. Lots of bands had guitar players who could play Page solos (we would double the leads sometimes) but we were lucky to have a vocalist who could nail Plant or Tyler.

I never played with records much. Just enough to get the hooks and fill in the blanks with my own fills. I write songs. Although I don't claim to play like them, I like Clapton, Trower, and Santana for old school. I like a lot of blues with Freddie King and Mike Bloomfield at the top. Current stuff I like is The Black Keys and Jack White. I also like alternative country.

Curious about song writing. I've always been able to put together lyrics, and always been able to come up with melodies/riffs. I just have very limited success imo in putting the two together.

What kind of stuff do you write? What's your songwriting approach?

I enjoy Jack White and any mention of Mike Bloomfield garners mad respect. :cheers:

TIA

Good tip on the Dunlop Crybaby.

Watch Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend etc online. They'll deep discount some stuff through the holidays. Should be able to pick one up for a decent price.

I used to play back in high school and college. Wasn't very good but I enjoyed it. After a long hiatus my wifey bought me an acoustic for Christmas. Played it for awhile and started to get back into it. Like to play acoustic Stones, Ozzy, Petty, Skynard, Eagles, Tesla, and just make sh!t up. I then put it down again because I can't play a bar chord to save my life. I've weird fingers that bend funny. The note isn't clean and because of it I have a hard time transitioning from a G to any bar chord. It's gotten so frustrating that I don't want to learn any song with bar chords.

My daughter picked up my acoustic a couple of years ago and said she wanted to learn. I taught her the first song we all learned and she was hooked. She took lessons for a year and played in a couple of concerts that a friend puts on at his restaurant. She's pretty good but gets down on herself when she sees Youtube"s of some ten year old nailing Malmsteen.

A friend told me about Songster. Any of you use it?

I used to play back in high school and college. Wasn't very good but I enjoyed it. After a long hiatus my wifey bought me an acoustic for Christmas. Played it for awhile and started to get back into it. Like to play acoustic Stones, Ozzy, Petty, Skynard, Eagles, Tesla, and just make sh!t up. I then put it down again because I can't play a bar chord to save my life. I've weird fingers that bend funny. The note isn't clean and because of it I have a hard time transitioning from a G to any bar chord. It's gotten so frustrating that I don't want to learn any song with bar chords.

My daughter picked up my acoustic a couple of years ago and said she wanted to learn. I taught her the first song we all learned and she was hooked. She took lessons for a year and played in a couple of concerts that a friend puts on at his restaurant. She's pretty good but gets down on herself when she sees Youtube"s of some ten year old nailing Malmsteen.

Songster is neat in that it offers rhythm track and instrumentation in addition to tab. A good tool for helping a young guitarist to learn phrasing, going beyond strumming chords.

Once she starts working with it, get her a Soundport, Line 6 Audio etc that she can run through GrageBand or similar on a laptop/phone and mix her own music. The fastest way I've ever been able to learn or to teach someone else was to encourage them to lay down a rhythm track of their own design and figure out riffs off of it. Really expands confidence and understanding of the fret board.

But to your problem: learn some songs in Drop D tuning. A lot of Stones, Faces etc stuff is in Drop D, with no full bar chords involved. It's a cool sound that automatically makes you sound like you can play, and all that's involved is either actually tuning the guitar to Drop D (not hard but hard on the guitar) or pick up one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kyser-drop-d-capo?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPWC4eOUqMICFQeVfgodMwMA_A&kwid=productads-plaid^82216909347-sku^361603000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

No detuning involved and you're set.

Songster is neat in that it offers rhythm track and instrumentation in addition to tab. A good tool for helping a young guitarist to learn phrasing, going beyond strumming chords.

Once she starts working with it, get her a Soundport, Line 6 Audio etc that she can run through GrageBand or similar on a laptop/phone and mix her own music. The fastest way I've ever been able to learn or to teach someone else was to encourage them to lay down a rhythm track of their own design and figure out riffs off of it. Really expands confidence and understanding of the fret board.

But to your problem: learn some songs in Drop D tuning. A lot of Stones, Faces etc stuff is in Drop D, with no full bar chords involved. It's a cool sound that automatically makes you sound like you can play, and all that's involved is either actually tuning the guitar to Drop D (not hard but hard on the guitar) or pick up one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kyser-drop-d-capo?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPWC4eOUqMICFQeVfgodMwMA_A&kwid=productads-plaid^82216909347-sku^361603000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

No detuning involved and you're set.

I am definetly going to check that out. Never heard of it before. :cheers:

I am definetly going to check that out. Never heard of it before. :cheers:

The cool bass sound you hear on Dear Prudence, The End, Black Hole Sun, Moby and tons of Stones stuff is in drop D. Like I said, you can easily tune the guitar but it's hard on the neck to constantly change. The capo is a cheap and easy way for someone that wants to play around a bit but sound like they play a lot.

I've never really checked out Rocksmith. Probably be jealous at how easy it is now to learn things that took me hours of trial and error, not to mention sacrificing my vision trying to figure out what the guitarists on MIDNIGHT SPECIAL or DON KIRSCHNER'S ROCK CONCERT were playing on sh!tty little tvs..

I've never really checked out Rocksmith. Probably be jealous at how easy it is now to learn things that took me hours of trial and error, not to mention sacrificing my vision trying to figure out what the guitarists on MIDNIGHT SPECIAL or DON KIRSCHNER'S ROCK CONCERT were playing on sh!tty little tvs..

don kirschner was an azzhole .. probably still is .. IN HELL !

Barre chords blow, especially on an acoustic. I can play them, but they really suck all the fun right outta the song. I try to avoid them as much as possible by using a capo. I used to think a capo was for wusses and cheaters, but when I discovered how much fuller and richer the chords sound when played with open strings ringing, I fully embraced it.

Play around with it for awhile and it will open your eyes to more possibilities.

whats this soundport/ line 6 audio you speak of? something else i should get him?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/line-6-sonic-port-guitar-system-for-select-apple-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-models-black-red/2742481.p?id=1219076962946&skuId=2742481&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2742481&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!79964594295!g!!55971784335&kpid=2742481&k_clickid=1de336f6-ab6c-8008-33e6-0000042e37da&kpid=2742481&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=1de336f6-ab6c-8008-33e6-0000042e37da&ksprof_id=10&ksaffcode=7706&ksdevice=c

The Sonic Port allows you to run a guitar directly through your laptop/phone and interface with applications like Garage Band, which offers some pretty amazing features (pre-recorded loops, virtual instruments, ability to record outside sources like voice or acoustic, mixing and editing software). So you can plug in with no amp needed, choose from a selection of dozens of virtual amps/sounds, and create your own music. To me, it's the best method to advance not only individual skills, but also general music theory, a little bit of engineering, song composition and a lot more.

I think Garage Band is still about $5, and the Sonic Port runs around $100. I love em.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/line-6-sonic-port-guitar-system-for-select-apple-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-models-black-red/2742481.p?id=1219076962946&skuId=2742481&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2742481&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!79964594295!g!!55971784335&kpid=2742481&k_clickid=1de336f6-ab6c-8008-33e6-0000042e37da&kpid=2742481&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=1de336f6-ab6c-8008-33e6-0000042e37da&ksprof_id=10&ksaffcode=7706&ksdevice=c

The Sonic Port allows you to run a guitar directly through your laptop/phone and interface with applications like Garage Band, which offers some pretty amazing features (pre-recorded loops, virtual instruments, ability to record outside sources like voice or acoustic, mixing and editing software). So you can plug in with no amp needed, choose from a selection of dozens of virtual amps/sounds, and create your own music. To me, it's the best method to advance not only individual skills, but also general music theory, a little bit of engineering, song composition and a lot more.

I think Garage Band is still about $5, and the Sonic Port runs around $100. I love em.

im on it. thanks!!!

im on it. thanks!!!

You might want to invest in some good headphones too. For him or both of you.

Barre chords blow, especially on an acoustic. I can play them, but they really suck all the fun right outta the song. I try to avoid them as much as possible by using a capo. I used to think a capo was for wusses and cheaters, but when I discovered how much fuller and richer the chords sound when played with open strings ringing, I fully embraced it.

Play around with it for awhile and it will open your eyes to more possibilities.

At the risk of sounding stoopid, how different are the chords you need to play when playing with a capo? "Wild Horses" has a couple of bar chords. What chord would I play if I'm not playing the bar chords?

At the risk of sounding stoopid, how different are the chords you need to play when playing with a capo? "Wild Horses" has a couple of bar chords. What chord would I play if I'm not playing the bar chords?

OK, so something like WILD HORSES isn't a great example of a capo song, in that it's designed to be played in open chords. I'm guessing you're talking about the Bm. If you really can't barre the chord, play the 4 string version of it and mute the 1st and last string with your fingertips. So you'd play 5th string 2nd fret; 3rd & 4th string 4th fret; 2nd string 3rd fret. Same notes, you've just eliminated the high and low.

Another cool thing with that song: if your kid can play that part, a second acoustic guitar plays open GDGDGBD throughout (just play the B across the 234 string on the 3rd fret).

OK, so something like WILD HORSES isn't a great example of a capo song, in that it's designed to be played in open chords. I'm guessing you're talking about the Bm. If you really can't barre the chord, play the 4 string version of it and mute the 1st and last string with your fingertips. So you'd play 5th string 2nd fret; 3rd & 4th string 4th fret; 2nd string 3rd fret. Same notes, you've just eliminated the high and low.

Another cool thing with that song: if your kid can play that part, a second acoustic guitar plays open GDGDGBD throughout (just play the B across the 234 string on the 3rd fret).

I play the 4 string Bm all the time. If you're playing with others, you can even get away with playing only the 3 higher strings of that chord since the bassist and/or keyboard player are on those bass notes.

I play the 4 string Bm all the time. If you're playing with others, you can even get away with playing only the 3 higher strings of that chord since the bassist and/or keyboard player are on those bass notes.

One of the biggest mistakes that players make, imo, is once they start to play barre chords they think everything should be barred. Muting strings/notes that aren't necessary is just as effective in many cases as trying to wrestle with a full barre chord. In a band setting, a good guitarist uses more three note combos/phrases than chords.

• Like 1

The band leader I play with constantly changes the key for the songs we play to suit the singer, or to help transition between songs.

To get around using all those barre chords when he does that, I use a capo conversion chart (google search) to transpose the song so I can play the classic chord shapes I'm comfortable with.

I'm no expert, but you basically find the key of the original tune and write down the chord progression. Then, go to the chart and find the capo position that allows you to play all the chords in the song using the classic chord shapes you already know. Once you find the correct capo position, write down the new chord shapes in the progression, put your capo in place and play those chord shapes.

So if you capo at the 2nd fret and play a G shape, you're actually playing an A. Play a C shape and you're actually playing a D. Play a D shape and you're actually playing an E, and so on.

You won't always find a capo position that eliminates every single barre chord, but it does help tremendously. Once you do this a few times, a light will come on and you'll start to understand how a capo can be your friend.

Good luck

• Like 1

One of the biggest mistakes that players make, imo, is once they start to play barre chords they think everything should be barred. Muting strings/notes that aren't necessary is just as effective in many cases as trying to wrestle with a full barre chord. In a band setting, a good guitarist uses more three note combos/phrases than chords.

Yeah. I learned this the hard way.