Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

FF playoffs...Dumb

I just don't get it. Why in the hell would you want to be in a league that relies of playoffs to determine the champion?

Granted, I'm in a couple of leagues that have them, but it just seems so dumb to me.

Work your ass off all season long on the waiver wire to put together a quality team, only to possibly lose in the first or after your bye round to 'bad luck'. :dunno:

Yea...FF at it's core has a lot do with luck (depending on who you ask), but doesn't it make more sense to reward the owner that has the best record at the end of the NFLs regular season?

No...I haven't been eliminated from the playoffs in the 2 leagues I'm in that do that, I just don't get it. (the playoff scenario)

We get money for winning our division - so it makes sense. Also, keeps interest or people would give up around week 8.

We get money for winning our division - so it makes sense. Also, keeps interest or people would give up around week 8.

The bolded, I totally get. :thumbsup:

fwiw, the below is the way we run my main $ league

Basically the way we do it is for regular season you draft

QB - 2

RB - 3

WR / TE - 4

K - 2

D - 2

Transactions cost $5.00 per and that money goes into the playoff fund.

By limiting the amount of people per position, there will always be someone good / decent on the waiver wire.

Once the NFL regular season is over and the 1st second and 3d place teams are paid, we draft a starting line up from the teams in the NFL that made the playoffs.

QB - 1

RB - 2

WR / TE - 3

D - 1

K - 1

The trick here is that with the draft, we don't do a standard serpentine draft.

Whomever took last place gets the first pick, 11th pick, 22, pick etc.

2nd to last gets the 2nd pick, 12, pick, etc.

While the playoff pool is not nearly as big as the regular season $$$ win, it gives the guys who did shitty during the year a better than average chance to win some money back.

Average 1st place with playoffs is around $350.00 or so, with second and 3d a couple of hundred less.

This way there is no down time for anyone from beginning of the season until the super bowl ends.

Been doing it this way for about 25 years. Works pretty good

Playoffs are fun, thats why. why have an nfl playoffs either? The Pats went 16-0 just to lose in the SB, is that not fair? Yes FF is mostly Luck, especially in the playoffs. Peyton and DT carried you to undefeated record? OOps, ooks like they took the day off, too bad so sad you lose see you next year. Its that 'any given sunday' factor that makes it exciting for everyone, not just the guy who happened to not have his top 2 RB picks bust.

Winning games in December shouldn't determine a champion. It's the games in September and October that really count. :thumbsup:

What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope (I) can win a game!

Because, you know, you play to win the game!

But in today's society, we want everyone to get a trophy. We don't want to keep score and everyone gets a trophy! Awesome.

I just don't get it. Why in the hell would you want to be in a league that relies of playoffs to determine the champion?

Granted, I'm in a couple of leagues that have them, but it just seems so dumb to me.

Work your ass off all season long on the waiver wire to put together a quality team, only to possibly lose in the first or after your bye round to 'bad luck'. :dunno:

Yea...FF at it's core has a lot do with luck (depending on who you ask), but doesn't it make more sense to reward the owner that has the best record at the end of the NFLs regular season?

No...I haven't been eliminated from the playoffs in the 2 leagues I'm in that do that, I just don't get it. (the playoff scenario)

Just get me to a bowl game. I don't need no stinkin playoffs.

• Like 1

Playoffs are fun, thats why. why have an nfl playoffs either? The Pats went 16-0 just to lose in the SB, is that not fair? Yes FF is mostly Luck, especially in the playoffs. Peyton and DT carried you to undefeated record? OOps, ooks like they took the day off, too bad so sad you lose see you next year. Its that 'any given sunday' factor that makes it exciting for everyone, not just the guy who happened to not have his top 2 RB picks bust.

That is just dumb

25 years and a grand prize of 350.00? Maybe you old men shoukd think about cracking open the wallet.

$350.00 is the average playoff 1st place payout, not the regular season 1st place payout. hth

Our league has been changed, but not entirely wisely. I'm the #1 seed @ 12-2 and winner of my division - and there are three divisions. Before, the best record in the regular season won the majority of the money, and there was an additional prize for winning the playoffs.

There were 4 teams in the playoffs, IMO primarily because there was only an extra $100 for winning the "Superbowl" - a two week playoff.

The commish - unilaterally - changed some things:

1) $100 for best record (won this)

2) $100 for highest points (won this)

3) $600 for winning the Super Bowl

4) $350 for second place

5) $100 for third

Ok I'm good with all those changes. Here's what I'm NOT good with, and it may cost me: he kept 3 divisions, and KEPT a two week playoff, and only 4 teams make it.

The second best team in the league is in my division, and is 11-3. We've split the regular season and I've outscored him by 200 points. The winners of the other two divisions are 7-7 and 8-6. So guess what? I, as the #1 seed, not only have no bye, but I have to immediately play the second best team, because in these addled rule changes, that 11-3 is the #4 seed.

Asinine, and utterly unfair.

Our league has been changed, but not entirely wisely. I'm the #1 seed @ 12-2 and winner of my division - and there are three divisions. Before, the best record in the regular season won the majority of the money, and there was an additional prize for winning the playoffs.

There were 4 teams in the playoffs, IMO primarily because there was only an extra $100 for winning the "Superbowl" - a two week playoff.

The commish - unilaterally - changed some things:

1) $100 for best record (won this)

2) $100 for highest points (won this)

3) $600 for winning the Super Bowl

4) $350 for second place

5) $100 for third

Ok I'm good with all those changes. Here's what I'm NOT good with, and it may cost me: he kept 3 divisions, and KEPT a two week playoff, and only 4 teams make it.

The second best team in the league is in my division, and is 11-3. We've split the regular season and I've outscored him by 200 points. The winners of the other two divisions are 7-7 and 8-6. So guess what? I, as the #1 seed, not only have no bye, but I have to immediately play the second best team, because in these addled rule changes, that 11-3 is the #4 seed.

Asinine, and utterly unfair.

Divisions are dumb. You can maintain the exact same schedule yet allow teams with more points and better records a better seed without divisions. I guess folks do it to keep fantasy similar to real football....which is really stupid when you assign points for gaining yards and catching passes.

• Like 2

Divisions are dumb. You can maintain the exact same schedule yet allow teams with more points and better records a better seed without divisions. I guess folks do it to keep fantasy similar to real football....which is really stupid when you assign points for gaining yards and catching passes.

This. I got rid of divisions in my leagues years ago.

I hear ya' OP. 14 team league with divisions where the top 8 make the playoffs and no byes. I was the top seed, by far (record and points), finished the season by winning 8 in a row, but was absolutely killed in the first round of the playoffs and my season is done and I get nothing.

That's exactly what happened to me.

Top seed team, high scoring team week in week out. 10-3 going into the playoffs.

Manning, my defense and 3 RB all the bed. Nelson and CJ Anderson were good. Lost by less than 2 points to an Lost to a 5th seed crossover team who was 5-8.

Yeah it pisses me off, but that's the way it goes.

Benching any of Manning for Tannehill, or Bernard, Herron, or Mason would have won me the game, but who knew.

OP must be a Patriots fan. Still reeling about no titles since you got popped for cheating eh?

This is interesting, for you are making the argument that fostered how the FBS schools determined a Champion for a century.

Interesting in that they are now moving towards a playoff system.

Now all of this is fine well and dandy.

But there is no place in FFL for subjective champions.

Now that stated, if you league wants to operate without a playoff fine.

If they want to go away from head to head match ups fine

I just wouldn't suggest getting so worked up over it.

14 team league with divisions where the top 8 make the playoffs and no byes. I was the top seed, by far (record and points), finished the season by winning 8 in a row, but was absolutely killed in the first round of the playoffs and my season is done and I get nothing.

Ok, first thing, you guys play all season to eliminate 6 teams? That's less than half! What is this, the NHL!??! :lol:

The 2 leagues I'm in pay out to everyone who makes the playoffs. Both are 10-team league. 1 is top 4 and the other is top 6 (easy to make playoffs there). The one that is top 4 is each of those teams wins back their entry fee. Finish #4, lose int he first round, you still broke even. We also do a consolation playoffs (to keep everyone active and interested). The winner of that gets half their entry back. The bottom 2 teams are done after the regular season and win nothing.

The other league is top 6 and pays out a little more for each round of the playoffs in which you advance. I think if you make it to week 2 of 3, you get your entry fee back.

In any case, I think if you make the playoffs, you should get something back. But, that might be harder to do when it's 8 of 14 teams. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Waaaambulance en route!!!

I think people who are out of their depth intellectually say useless shiat like that. :rolleyes:

That is just dumb

How so? You can say the same about the nfl. The top teams get knocked off in the first game just like in fantasy sometimes. Its that anything can happen feeling that makes it fun in the first place. FF is 90% luck, wich adds to the fun factor of winners and lowers it for losers, just how it is. Winners pat themselves on the back even if they did nothing great, losers blame everyone but themselves, its just human nature.

We don't have play offs in my big money.. We go all 17 weeks and the best man wins... Of course that will be me again with a 3 game lead. I hate play offs too

The bolded, I totally get. :thumbsup:

fwiw, the below is the way we run my main $ league

Basically the way we do it is for regular season you draft

QB - 2

RB - 3

WR / TE - 4

K - 2

D - 2

Transactions cost $5.00 per and that money goes into the playoff fund.

By limiting the amount of people per position, there will always be someone good / decent on the waiver wire.

Once the NFL regular season is over and the 1st second and 3d place teams are paid, we draft a starting line up from the teams in the NFL that made the playoffs.

QB - 1

RB - 2

WR / TE - 3

D - 1

K - 1

The trick here is that with the draft, we don't do a standard serpentine draft.

Whomever took last place gets the first pick, 11th pick, 22, pick etc.

2nd to last gets the 2nd pick, 12, pick, etc.

While the playoff pool is not nearly as big as the regular season $$$ win, it gives the guys who did shitty during the year a better than average chance to win some money back.

Average 1st place with playoffs is around $350.00 or so, with second and 3d a couple of hundred less.

This way there is no down time for anyone from beginning of the season until the super bowl ends.

Been doing it this way for about 25 years. Works pretty good

2 kickers and 2 defense it doesnt get any dumber than that.

DUMB

We don't have play offs in my big money.. We go all 17 weeks and the best man wins... Of course that will be me again with a 3 game lead. I hate play offs too

This doesn't really fix the problem he's illustrated. I went 9-4 in the regular season with the 4th lowest total points in the league. Bottom line i was really lucky due to head to head matchups. In your format, I'd still be in the title hunt just like i am with a playoff. What they are suggesting is how to take the luck out of crowning the winner.

We've split our pot between the best regular season power rating (a summed ranking of overall record, all play record and total points) and a playoff champion. The problem with only using total points or a power rating is that so many teams are eliminated and have no hope. The playoff format keeps everyone competitive, usually at least until a few weeks prior to the end of the season.

So to me there's no perfect system. A format rewarding season long dominance will kill some of your league interest and a format that rewards a hot team will not always crown the best team throughout the year as the champion. You just have the find the best balance for your league based on your members, there isn't a right or wrong answer here.

So to me there's no perfect system. A format rewarding season long dominance will kill some of your league interest and a format that rewards a hot team will not always crown the best team throughout the year as the champion. You just have the find the best balance for your league based on your members, there isn't a right or wrong answer here.

Who's name is on the Lombardi Trophy as the winner (the league champions) for SB XLII? Is it the team that dominated all season or the team that actually won?

Who's name is on the Lombardi Trophy as the winner (the league champions) for SB XLII? Is it the team that dominated all season or the team that actually won?

Playoff winner goes on the Trophy. So yeah, technically it's the playoff winner that is acknowledged as league champ, but financially there's not difference.

Started the season 0-5. Through trades and working the wire I was able to turn my team around, take over the point lead, make it into the playoffs, and have a chance to win some cash.

Playoffs keep more teams in it. Otherwise half the league would quit by week 12.

And if your team is so dominant then why are you so worried about playoffs.

I think the right way to structure a league to get the best of both worlds is to split the prize money equally between regular season results and a playoff bracket. No divisions, and in 12 team leagues, the top 6 make the playoffs; the top 2 get byes and automatic 'wins' in week 14. Tie-breakers to make the playoffs can be determined by each league, but should revolve around best record, total points and breakdown.

The way I see it: if a team is 11-2 and #1 going into week 14, they get another 'win' (they still post a lineup, as their points accrue that week towards total points), and the following week, they play the lowest seeded winner of the two playoff games - and so on.

Bottom 6 teams still play a 'toilet bowl' bracket structure (top 2 non-playoff teams still get a 'bye', but still post rosters as above), as they are still in the running for total points, and best record.

The key to BOTH brackets is that ALL TEAMS KEEP PLAYING THROUGH WEEK 16, because - whether they lose in the playoffs or not - their TOTAL WINS, TOTAL POINTS and BREAKDOWN strength still factor into half of the overall purse. All teams will have a full 16 game season record, and their metrics determine their eligibility for prize money.

This way, it is feasible to be the #1 seed and be bounced from the playoffs in week 15, but still be eligible for best record, total points, etc. They can still win half of the pot. It's also feasible to not make the top 6 in the playoffs but still win half the pot.

IMO that is how it should be.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It is completely stupid. I am 10-4 in one league this year. Next best team is .500, 7-7. First round of the playoffs I get bounced. Happens most years. Hell, one year I did not lose a game the entire year only to get smoked in the first round of the playoffs by a team that won 5 games all year.

Funny thing is when I play in total points leagues, have zero problems like this.

Head to head focking BLOWS and is for folks who only have luck and zero skill.

If you want the entire year to matter you have to go roto. It's by far the most "fair" fantasy system. H2H really doesn't make much sense if fairness is your goal, and if you want to be credited for everything that happens all season long.

But most people want H2H and a simpler playoff system because they're casual about it and also can understand it's all luck.

I dunno how old OP is, but I'm too old to care that much about fantasy. It's just a fun little hobby, nothing more. There are more important things to obsess over in life.

Split money between Roto and Playoffs. Transaction fees go to weekly high scores. Keeps everyone in it until the end and the best team is guaranteed good money though they may not win the Super Bowl. Best team will win my Super Bowl as my team and my opponent are separated by 7 points for the season, 300 ahead of the rest of the league. Pure Roto leagues have had half the team quit participating after week 10 or before. That is why playoffs became standard.