Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

UPDATED: Brandon Marshall to be traded - Jets

A player who is traded 3 times in 5 years.

How often do you see that in the NFL?

The guy is problematic enough that teams seek to get rid of him, and good enough that teams are willing to pay something to acquire him.

He can cruise right over to the NFL network show weekly anyway plus Bowles knows what he is getting into as he was on the Dolphins staff during Marshall's time there.

Next domino, Percy

the trade sure makes Marques Wilson's stock go WAY up! With bracket coverage on A.Jeffrey, should allow Wilson to take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage.. Just sayin...

Elite WR yet he's been traded on three occasions in his prime. Can you say "locker room cancer"?

Hes off my list entirely. Watch all year we will be saying how "Well he should still be a great no.2 and see x targets." No, thats just not how fantasy works. Hes done, pending of course the jets doing something at QB.

per ESPN

Good move for Marshall .

Alshon Jeffrey gets an even greater bump and so does Matt forte. If Marshall and harvin are in New York together it will be VERY interesting to see what happens. Two hot heads on the same team each with elite talent. Either the biggest blessing or the biggest curse

Well, at least Chicago had a few weeks of being excited about their new management.... that was fun! :music_guitarred: :music_guitarred:

Alshon Jeffrey gets an even greater bump and so does Matt forte. If Marshall and harvin are in New York together it will be VERY interesting to see what happens. Two hot heads on the same team each with elite talent. Either the biggest blessing or the biggest curse

Is Harvin really an elite talent? Proof?

Is Harvin really an elite talent? Proof?

When he played for the Vikings and when he was on Seahawks he was deadly.

for a 5th round pick :lol:

for a 5th round pick :lol:

Not so fast! Tom Brady was a 6th rounder..... maybe da Bears will get the next Tom Brady

But better.... because it's a round earlier! :banana:

Well, at least Chicago had a few weeks of being excited about their new management.... that was fun! :music_guitarred: :music_guitarred:

This was a brilliant move by the Bears brain trust. Marshall has no value to the team because they were not going to compete this year and he wasn't going to be a happy camper toeing the line. It was addition by subtraction on the slot alone, it opens a roster slot for someone else and gives a chance for Wilson to begin developing as a player this year.

They would have cut Marshall next year so they get a pick, salary cap space to pursue some medium to longer term FAs starting this year instead of next, the roster slot, a better locker room, and a chance for a talented young guy to start developing. This is what good teams do when they are holding the hand the Bears are now.

• Like 1

This was a brilliant move by the Bears brain trust. Marshall has no value to the team because they were not going to compete this year and he wasn't going to be a happy camper toeing the line. It was addition by subtraction on the slot alone, it opens a roster slot for someone else and gives a chance for Wilson to begin developing as a player this year.

They would have cut Marshall next year so they get a pick, salary cap space to pursue some medium to longer term FAs starting this year instead of next, the roster slot, a better locker room, and a chance for a talented young guy to start developing. This is what good teams do when they are holding the hand the Bears are now.

Oh yeah and while we are at it they insured the Jets will not take a WR in the slot preceding them. So now they have TWO potential scenarios for a trade down.

If Mariota drops to them or if any team that wants to trade up for whichever of White/Cooper the Raiders don't take.

Doubt they were thinking this tactical ploy but sometimes you get lucky when you make the right move.

This was a brilliant move by the Bears brain trust. Marshall has no value to the team because they were not going to compete this year

It was a brilliant move to get a 5th round pick for the best WR the Bears have had in their history? This takes brilliance?

Since you've determined that the Bears won't compete this year... what value does Forte and his old a$$ and his big contract bring to the Bears? How about Cutler and his bloated contract?

You can say that it is a move that needed to be done... and since Marshall is such a loon and a cancer that it was unfortunate they only got a 5th rounder for his talent.... but brilliant?

C'mon.... You sound like the same homer fans that were 2 years ago saying Tressman was a brilliant,out-of-the-box hire and that he was a "quarterback whisperer"

Gonna turn Jay into a star! :first:

It was a brilliant move to get a 5th round pick for the best WR the Bears have had in their history? This takes brilliance?

Since you've determined that the Bears won't compete this year... what value does Forte and his old a$$ and his big contract bring to the Bears? How about Cutler and his bloated contract?

You can say that it is a move that needed to be done... and since Marshall is such a loon and a cancer that it was unfortunate they only got a 5th rounder for his talent.... but brilliant?

C'mon.... You sound like the same homer fans that were 2 years ago saying Tressman was a brilliant,out-of-the-box hire and that he was a "quarterback whisperer"

I tend to agree with this. Your best wr for a 5th round pick is not a good trade. Yea it frees up some cap space but come on. You could have gotten more than that

Well you can check back and see that I wasn't.

So lets see how much the Jets are going to get for Harvin for instance.

Best in the history of.....,...doesn't get you much for 2015 or more importantly 2016,17 when it really matters.

I could go throughout the logic but I'd be repeating myself.

If your argument is that they should keep him out of loyalty, because of all they he gave the team, or if its that they should keep him to put a better losing product on the field meanwhile blocking the development of another player worthy of playing time and put up with the likelihood that his focus off the field sends a poor signal to what will be a young and developing roster meanwhile sucking cap space that could be reassigned to players who are not currently on the roster for the new D scheme..........then we just disagree.

Don't get me started on Cutler, so you think the Bears should keep him for 2015?

They may have little choice but I hold out hope they are ballsy enough to straight cut him.

Its unlikely, but you really are going to defend the idea that he should be on the roster?

On a pure competitive evaluation of the roster going forward basis, sure they should move Forte as well, especially with the available FA pieces and rooks, and his contract not sure how you could possibly argue otherwise. But there is much more to the evaluation that that single item. Unlike the above punks he is the embodiment of what you want the young guys on a roster to aspire to be. He should be an outstanding role model- locker room presence and if the front office is actually able to get things started moving forward immediately its not ridiculous to think he could finish out his NFL career as a winner, just as Walter did.

Turnarounds can happen slowly over time, or they can happen quickly, its all about the mindset.

I tend to agree with this. Your best wr for a 5th round pick is not a good trade. Yea it frees up some cap space but come on. You could have gotten more than that

I understand why people think players are worth more. Certainly they are in FF but in the salary cap era its very different. The terms of a contract relative to the age and value of a player to a team all depend on perspective.

If they could have gotten more it would have happened already. If you are somebody who doesn't believe he was addition by subtraction then you're just not going to ever understand the point of view and that's cool but if you get to where you can fathom it, then getting anything for him, even giving up a pick for someone to take his contract was awesome.

Its possible they would have to give up a pick if someone was willing to take on Cutlers contract which is where the value lies. If he is cut they have dead cap space, if he is traded they get to use the cap space. Very big difference, especially to a rebuilding team.

I think the Jets are a bunch of morons for giving something up for marshall. Getting anything for him was a great move. Especially since they would have cut marshall most likely, thus getting nothing in return AND still having to pay him a chunk of guaranteed money.

A deadly WR generally has a 1000 yard season on his resume.

He was a nice little gadget player...when he got on the field

So are the Jets loading up at WR to give Geno Smith one last chance with some real receivers, or is this in preparation for drafting a QB at #6?

I think the Jets are a bunch of morons for giving something up for marshall. Getting anything for him was a great move. Especially since they would have cut marshall most likely, thus getting nothing in return AND still having to pay him a chunk of guaranteed money.

His last 2 injury-free seasons were 118 catches for 1500-plus yards and 100 catches for 1300 yards...That's just monster... That's with crappy-a$$ Cutler throwing to him. Statistically, he is the greatest WR in the history of the Chicago Bears. I really can't think of anybody who is close off-hand.

You got a 5th rounder for him. The poster I was quoting was saying this was a "brilliant" move.

When he's healthy, Marshall completely changes defensive coverages. He frees up Jeffery.

Alshon -- meet double coverage on every play

Jay -- meet even more INTs. I've seen Marshall bail Cutler out so many times with amazing catches on terrible Cutler throws that can only be made with Marshall's frame and athleticism. Now he'll be forcing it to double covered Jeffery, too.

He's a unique talent. We'll see who the Bears get in the 5th round to replace him.

But I'm gonna hold off on the new management's "brilliancy" just like I held off on Tressman's "brilliancy" and his "quarterback whispererness" :doublethumbsup:

• Like 1

He's a unique talent. We'll see who the Bears get in the 5th round to replace him

But I'm gonna hold off on the new management's "brilliancy" just like I held off on Tressman's "brilliancy" and his "quarterback whispererness" :doublethumbsup:

Well funny how people interpret things. I'm the poster and I didn't say anything remotely resembling the idea that "new management is brilliant".

One move in the history of a franchise does not a legacy make. One move in the year of a franchise cannot possibly even begin to assemble a grade for 2015. There are so many more roster decisions, contract negotiations, free agency evaluations, organizational front office acquisitions, draft picks,...... and beyond to be made before I would even begin to think seriously about what kind of job these guys are doing for this single year.

You do not seem to understand that am not an apologist for current or previous management but was simply evaluating this single move IMO. Then again you don't seem to understand that there is so much more to the move than looking at Brandon Marshall's game stats from his age 28 and 29 seasons and applying to what might happen in his age 31 season while ignoring all of the other much more important aspects of making such a move.

Much of the move is unmeasurable and neither of us will be able to look at what would have happened in terms of locker room, off-field, whether his production this year would truly have made any difference, how much his starting would stunt the growth of Wilson or another WR,............... but at a VERY MINIMUM you could understand that its not a 5th round pick in return. Its a 5th round pick PLUS whomever or multiple FAs the Bears sign using his salary cap numbers.

You are either purposely bring a "checkers mentality" to asses what is a game of chess in order to dig yourself out, or..................... then again are you the guy who said in another thread you wished a team would trade a ILB for Cobb?

You do understand he is an FA and the Packers do not hold his rights.......... such that no other team would have any reason to give up value for him right?

:doublethumbsup:

A deadly WR generally has a 1000 yard season on his resume.

He might not have had it in receiving yards but his rushing and receiving yards he's had it. The guy was a playmaker and had homerun ability. He got a douche bag personality and is injured all the time so I can understand teams wanting him gone.

Brandon Marshall to be traded - Jets

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!

Surely he deserved to go to a team that has a decent quarterback. Damn, damn, damn.

Well funny how people interpret things. I'm the poster and I didn't say anything remotely resembling the idea that "new management is brilliant".

One move in the history of a franchise does not a legacy make. One move in the year of a franchise cannot possibly even begin to assemble a grade for 2015. There are so many more roster decisions, contract negotiations, free agency evaluations, organizational front office acquisitions, draft picks,...... and beyond to be made before I would even begin to think seriously about what kind of job these guys are doing for this single year.

You do not seem to understand that am not an apologist for current or previous management but was simply evaluating this single move IMO. Then again you don't seem to understand that there is so much more to the move than looking at Brandon Marshall's game stats from his age 28 and 29 seasons and applying to what might happen in his age 31 season while ignoring all of the other much more important aspects of making such a move.

Much of the move is unmeasurable and neither of us will be able to look at what would have happened in terms of locker room, off-field, whether his production this year would truly have made any difference, how much his starting would stunt the growth of Wilson or another WR,............... but at a VERY MINIMUM you could understand that its not a 5th round pick in return. Its a 5th round pick PLUS whomever or multiple FAs the Bears sign using his salary cap numbers.

You are either purposely bring a "checkers mentality" to asses what is a game of chess in order to dig yourself out, or..................... then again are you the guy who said in another thread you wished a team would trade a ILB for Cobb?

You do understand he is an FA and the Packers do not hold his rights.......... such that no other team would have any reason to give up value for him right?

:doublethumbsup:

Yeah, exchanging Cobb for an ILB was clearly a joke... I don't know if I'm dealing with a 12-year-old here or not... but I'd like to save time if I am and not have to explain every joke.... especially if I wasn't talking to you in the first place. :lol:

You said the new move was "brilliant" "This was a brilliant move by the Bears brain trust."

It's not. It's just a move. Overall, it's kinda "meh"... It's a fifth round pick.

Marshall paired with Jeffery presents a very unique match-up problem for defenses. Jeffery by himself does not.

Maybe on a team with an awful, overpaid quarterback (under contract!), an RB that is 96 years old in running back years, and a defense that is one of the worst in the history of the NFL, getting a fifth rounder for your all-time greatest WR in his prime is a "brilliant" move.

But for the rest of us... it's just kinda meh. Sorry.

We'll see how it all works out.. Maybe it will be the key "brilliant" move that returns the Bears to greatness they've been seeking for 3 decades... Good luck. :cheers:

I like it for the Jets. They can roll with Marshall for a year and see what happens. I don't believe he has any guaranteed money on his contract so the Jets can bail on him pretty easily if it doesn't work out.

As a Packers fan, I am happy about this trade. Marshall can be a poor locker room guy, but he has a ton of talent. Besides, the root of the team's offensive chemistry problems comes from Culter more than Marshall.

• Like 1

This deal sucks. Seattle just got kicked in the balls. Instead of a 4th round pick in their trade, as soon as Harvin gets cut, it's now a 6th rounder.

This deal sucks. Seattle just got kicked in the balls. Instead of a 4th round pick in their trade, as soon as Harvin gets cut, it's now a 6th rounder.

Nobody really cares about Seattle any more.... They had their shot.

They'll always be one of my favorite one-hit wonders! :banana: :banana:

Nobody really cares about Seattle any more.... They had their shot.

They'll always be one of my favorite one-hit wonders! :banana: :banana:

Sadly, if Seattle wins the Superbowl next season, nobody will ever talk about 2 Superbowls in 3 seasons. The story line will be one play short of Back to Back to Back, and failing.

Dissappointed.