Sign in to follow this  
remote controller

MFL 10's and MFL 25's......and the Draft Buddy

If you haven't tried these leagues I strongly suggest you consider them and with Mike's drafting tool, have the best chance for success! Love these league! The drafts go fairly smooth....they are easy to enter, and competitive. FFToday board members do have the advantage of knowledge though!

Saw an article just a couple days outlining the optimal lineups for best ball. If I can dig it up I'll post here. Real interesting stuff, particularly having multiple defenses and kickers (I believe the optimal teams had 3 of each)

Since MFL 10s, 25s etc. are "slow" drafts the The MFL Integration feature inside the Draft Buddy is really a good fit for these leagues. Miss a few picks? No need to enter each pick individually... you can update all the picks at once with a click of a button.

I haven't jumped into any MFL10s yet but I might as we get a little closer to August.

• Like 1

Since MFL 10s, 25s etc. are "slow" drafts the The MFL Integration feature inside the Draft Buddy is really a good fit for these leagues. Miss a few picks? No need to enter each pick individually... you can update all the picks at once with a click of a button.

I haven't jumped into any MFL10s yet but I might as we get a little closer to August.

I have done a 10 the past two years and this past year did a 10 and a 25. You will enjoy them and the level of competition is just above average, so pretty good. We judge so much on our local leagues and some of them are real poor or excellent.

Thanks for the Draft Buddy props r.c. You're right, the MFL Integration in DB works really well for these drafts. Here are some quick thoughts of mine for MFL10 (best ball) leagues:

- 3 defenses - due to random nature of DEF gives optimal chance for high weekly score from this position

- stockpile WRs, but focus on guys who should earn a lot of catches, not so much the "long bomb and a TD in a blue moon" guys

- you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere - can't have great depth at RB and WR - attempt balance but understand if you go RB early, stockpile depth WR or vice versa

- to that end if you feel better about later picked WR, go RB early. if you feel you are better getting value RB, go WR early

- I like a star QB but it has to be at the right price, otherwise many will wait and wait and grab what they feel is a good pairing, so the later round ones can come at a better value than you would typically think

- I would typically pay for a top 3-4 TE, not Gronk usually (personal preference) but where Kelce goes is about right for me. Like 3 TE on the roster as they can fill the flex spot too

I got Luck at 2.07 in my first MFL 10 draft. I am taking near guarantee top scorer in the second round every single time.

Thanks for the Draft Buddy props r.c. You're right, the MFL Integration in DB works really well for these drafts. Here are some quick thoughts of mine for MFL10 (best ball) leagues:

- 3 defenses - due to random nature of DEF gives optimal chance for high weekly score from this position

- stockpile WRs, but focus on guys who should earn a lot of catches, not so much the "long bomb and a TD in a blue moon" guys

- you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere - can't have great depth at RB and WR - attempt balance but understand if you go RB early, stockpile depth WR or vice versa

- to that end if you feel better about later picked WR, go RB early. if you feel you are better getting value RB, go WR early

- I like a star QB but it has to be at the right price, otherwise many will wait and wait and grab what they feel is a good pairing, so the later round ones can come at a better value than you would typically think

- I would typically pay for a top 3-4 TE, not Gronk usually (personal preference) but where Kelce goes is about right for me. Like 3 TE on the roster as they can fill the flex spot too

Your advice is spot on. I've been playing in these since they started them. One thing to keep in mind though is that some people have 300+ teams right now. You can see the top team owners on the MFL homepage. By the time the season begins, you will have a small handful of owners who have 500+ teams. These guys have their strategy down pat. If you want some advice from me, look at how they draft. They win a LOT (some over 50% of their leagues) and they use the same strategy draft after draft. Many of them I'm friends with.

The top player in the MFL's is Aaron. His strategy is the same today as it was 2 years ago. In the first 8 picks, he typically takes 4 RB's and 4 WR's. This is the way I draft as well. You can get two legit starting QB's in the 9th - 12th rounds and since they take only the highest score of the 2, you aren't wasting a 1st or 2nd rounder on just one guy. You have to watch the TE's. You don't want to get stuck with crap at the position, but if you pay attention, you can get a pair of them in the middle rounds that will work.

ALWAYS check out the ADP of the actual drafts (NOT the mocks) before drafting. You'll get a good idea of where guys are going. Overdrafting will kill you in these leagues. I also highly suggest using something like the draft buddy. You can alter the rankings based on your own, but you don't want to get caught in the 16th round and not know who you want.

More info - Stick with two defenses. Taking three is a bit much unless one of them is a last round flier. Keep in mind, your defenses can make up for not having a top notch QB. I've traditionally not taken the top ranked defense, but I always get two in my top ten.

I don't draft my kickers until the final two rounds. Make sure you don't draft guys with the same bye week. lol Sounds simple, but I see it every year.

My biggest piece of advice - Draft HEALTHY players only. If you take a chance on an injury prone player, you are setting yourself up for failure. I see owners who will jump all over an injury prone player because he dropped a round or two and they think they are getting a tremendous value. Buyer beware. The player fell in the draft for a reason.

Lastly - Don't follow trends. If you played these last season, you know D. Freeman (Atlanta) was all the way up to the 9th round in his ADP during August. Avoid the hype train. Let someone else take the gamble. There are guys out there this year being hyped like crazy and I have no intentions of drafting them.

Also - Just an aside - If you like these drafts, wait until the preseason. The guy with over 300+ teams right now may lose a key starter and be screwed in all of them. There are injuries every year and the depth chart changes in the preseason too much to not wait. Identify guys you want to keep an eye on and then adjust your rankings accordingly. It only takes one big player loss in these leagues to really screw you, especially if it is your QB.

One more - In the past, I've found the $50 leagues easier to win than the $10 leagues. You have more newbies trying to win the $50 leagues and most have never read the league scoring rules, so they make major mistakes. READ THE RULES before drafting. Seriously, they can make or break your season.

My personal way, which has worked for me is this - I try to get my starting RB's early, but will not overdraft them. This season, there are so many rbbc's going on that I think you can find GREAT value after drafting some elite WR's. Again though, DO NOT by the hype of unproven players. Save those risks for the last 5 or 6 rounds of your draft.

• Like 1

In the format i usually draft in the seahawks only scored 138 points last year. The top defense really doesnt have much of an advantage.

Edit: just realized seattle wasnt the top defense by a long shot. I thought they were at least in the top 2.

In the format i usually draft in the seahawks only scored 138 points last year. The top defense really doesnt have much of an advantage.

Edit: just realized seattle wasnt the top defense by a long shot. I thought they were at least in the top 2.

I don't think they even finished in the top 5. That's why it blows my mind when I see people drafting Seattle as the first D way too early.

Your advice is spot on. I've been playing in these since they started them. One thing to keep in mind though is that some people have 300+ teams right now. You can see the top team owners on the MFL homepage. By the time the season begins, you will have a small handful of owners who have 500+ teams. These guys have their strategy down pat. If you want some advice from me, look at how they draft. They win a LOT (some over 50% of their leagues) and they use the same strategy draft after draft. Many of them I'm friends with.

The top player in the MFL's is Aaron. His strategy is the same today as it was 2 years ago. In the first 8 picks, he typically takes 4 RB's and 4 WR's. This is the way I draft as well. You can get two legit starting QB's in the 9th - 12th rounds and since they take only the highest score of the 2, you aren't wasting a 1st or 2nd rounder on just one guy. You have to watch the TE's. You don't want to get stuck with crap at the position, but if you pay attention, you can get a pair of them in the middle rounds that will work.

ALWAYS check out the ADP of the actual drafts (NOT the mocks) before drafting. You'll get a good idea of where guys are going. Overdrafting will kill you in these leagues. I also highly suggest using something like the draft buddy. You can alter the rankings based on your own, but you don't want to get caught in the 16th round and not know who you want.

More info - Stick with two defenses. Taking three is a bit much unless one of them is a last round flier. Keep in mind, your defenses can make up for not having a top notch QB. I've traditionally not taken the top ranked defense, but I always get two in my top ten.

I don't draft my kickers until the final two rounds. Make sure you don't draft guys with the same bye week. lol Sounds simple, but I see it every year.

My biggest piece of advice - Draft HEALTHY players only. If you take a chance on an injury prone player, you are setting yourself up for failure. I see owners who will jump all over an injury prone player because he dropped a round or two and they think they are getting a tremendous value. Buyer beware. The player fell in the draft for a reason.

Lastly - Don't follow trends. If you played these last season, you know D. Freeman (Atlanta) was all the way up to the 9th round in his ADP during August. Avoid the hype train. Let someone else take the gamble. There are guys out there this year being hyped like crazy and I have no intentions of drafting them.

Also - Just an aside - If you like these drafts, wait until the preseason. The guy with over 300+ teams right now may lose a key starter and be screwed in all of them. There are injuries every year and the depth chart changes in the preseason too much to not wait. Identify guys you want to keep an eye on and then adjust your rankings accordingly. It only takes one big player loss in these leagues to really screw you, especially if it is your QB.

One more - In the past, I've found the $50 leagues easier to win than the $10 leagues. You have more newbies trying to win the $50 leagues and most have never read the league scoring rules, so they make major mistakes. READ THE RULES before drafting. Seriously, they can make or break your season.

My personal way, which has worked for me is this - I try to get my starting RB's early, but will not overdraft them. This season, there are so many rbbc's going on that I think you can find GREAT value after drafting some elite WR's. Again though, DO NOT by the hype of unproven players. Save those risks for the last 5 or 6 rounds of your draft.

At what point would these owners take the top qb if they fell? If andrew luck is there in the third, are they still passing on him because they feel 2 quality qbs can be close to luck most weeks? I am no expert at this, but it seems to me that the most likely highest scoring player in the third round is incredible value. Maybe luck never falls that far, just wondering what they do in that scenario.

• Like 1

I tried taking the approach of waiting until the 9th to take a qb. At my 7th pick i just did not think the available players at rb/wr were worth taking over Brees.

I've yet to take Luck yet but in one I got manning in 7 and Rothlesburg in 9. Seems crazy. I just took Wilson in round 6 in another league. He was dominant last year in their scoring. Also grabbed Brees in one in the 7th. I did nine last year and won two of them. One winner had Gronk 2nd and Manning in the third. I also had Sanders who won a lot of leagues lat year if I'm not mistaken. My RBs were not very good. Obviously you need a lot to break your way to win one. In another I won, I had Anderson who I drafted in round 14.