Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

Darren McFadden or Joseph Randle

I wonder why Cowboys needed to trade for Michael? It tells me they don't trust either McFadden or Randle over the long haul, despite being behind a great massive line.

I smell a three headed monster.

It seems it will probably start out that way until one of them begins to show they stand out above the rest. I'll be looking for a Julius Jones/Marion Barber/Felix Jones type situation where one back seems to get all the TDs and key on him if they are available.

I'll probably get laughed out of this thread but....

is it possible the D Murray made this offensive line look better than it is? There's a chance this Oline is just average. In my mind, Murray was that good. He's been an awesome NFL RB since he got his first real chance Week 7 in 2011. If memory serves, the Oline was "struggling" the first 6 games of 2011 then magically the Oline started to play better. The running game is gonna take a hit this year. Maybe it's the fault of untalented RB's or maybe the Oline is just an average one.

it's a fair question, but IMO the answer is no. there are a bunch of stats from 2014 to make this case (#1 in adj line yards, #1 in yards before contact, etc.), but to really see it, you have to go back to previous seasons. murray has always done well when given room to run, but he has never been able to make something from nothing. the STL game from a couple of years ago makes this point admirably. his stat line looked really gaudy, but when you go back and look at the tape, he was running untouched through gaping holes.

this doesn't mean he's mediocre--one of the strengths he developed was decisiveness. he would find a hole and commit to it. that works great when blocking is perfect, but doesn't work so well when things start breaking down. remember, DAL was absolutely atrocious in the short run game a couple of years ago. garrett has wanted to be able to play smash-mouth since he was promoted, but simply couldn't--the run game couldn't convert. again and again, we'd see murray running into filling LBs or the backs of his OLmen. this was partly the fault of the line, but it showed that he wasn't compensating for the line, either--he couldn't create, at least at the level of top RBs.

murray was an important player--not some bum running behind a gold-plated line--and there's no way DAL is going to simply replace his overall contribution through moneyball. but to say that he was the one making the line look better is wrong, IMO.

broaddus' quick scouting report on michael:

Michael is not going to make you miss in space, but when he gets a hole he is going to attack it -- downhill with a head of steam. But I would not call him a creator with the ball in his hands. He sees opportunities and goes. There were snaps where he tried to be nifty and wasn’t successful. Michael runs like he is on a track or a rail – which would be the opposite of what you see in Darren McFadden’s running style.

As a receiver, he always has good hands. He can work the screen or between the hashes. Has some pop as a pass blocker, but I worry about his overall technique. He is more likely to throw a shoulder at a rusher than sit square and take him on. But he is more than willing, because I saw him take a shot at a defensive end for the Raiders and come away undamaged. Gary Brown will need to help him improve in this area.

from http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/09/06/scouting-report-evaluating-game-tape-new-rb-christine-michael

I know you've got to be slightly optimistic about this. They took their time, they could have had any number of players that hit the wire. They saw something in the kid which fit their needs. Sure, he may be insurance or the third wheel on a committee, but you know the best one will stay on the field.

very much. his running style is exactly what the scheme calls for, and none of the other RBs truly provide. pedigree means something, and his SPARC numbers were quite impressive. but there have been some disturbing questions about his professionalism and drive--that has to get cleaned up in a hurry.

i think the guy he threatens most is randle. DMC is clearly the 3rd down back, and dunbar is a specialty player. if randle is going to succeed, it is going to be on 1st and 2nd downs. unfortunately for him, that's when you're going to see a new guy taking snaps. frankly, i can see michael taking some early down workload as early as week 3, so long as he can get assignment-sound.

so i feel a lot better about the run game than i did a couple of days ago.

It's a mess stay away warming signs are posted everywhere , it's now a four player position .

very much. his running style is exactly what the scheme calls for, and none of the other RBs truly provide. pedigree means something, and his SPARC numbers were quite impressive. but there have been some disturbing questions about his professionalism and drive--that has to get cleaned up in a hurry.

i think the guy he threatens most is randle. DMC is clearly the 3rd down back, and dunbar is a specialty player. if randle is going to succeed, it is going to be on 1st and 2nd downs. unfortunately for him, that's when you're going to see a new guy taking snaps. frankly, i can see michael taking some early down workload as early as week 3, so long as he can get assignment-sound.

so i feel a lot better about the run game than i did a couple of days ago.

I think week 3 may be possible, but I think its more likely to take more time (if it happens at all)

I personally think you gotta give a guy 4 weeks to become really well versed in the playbook. another week or two of practice to get timings down with the QB and the rest of the offense and to learn to trust his blocking.

yes it can happen sooner, but I think CMIKe isnt an ideal candidate for that.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any clue what will happen on SNF?

no--there has been no word about division of carries or responsibilities. the probable breakdown will be randle in normal packages with ~15 carries, and DMC in nickel packages with ~10 carries (DAL loves to run out of 3-wide). GL work is completely unknown.

division games are always hard to call, and there are too many moving pieces in this one to make a reliable prediction.

One thing to count on is that NYG vs DAL games are always shootouts.

pretty much. with all the injury/chaos on the NYG D, and beckham in the slot working against a 2nd year UDFA, with no hardy/mcclain, lee's first game back in over a year, hitchens having missed time, possibly starting a rookie at FS, and the newish giants offensive scheme...

...this could be one of the most entertaining games of the week.

if DAL can get pressure on manning and can get the ground game moving, they'll win. if both these conditions aren't met, it's anyone's game.

I think the Giants game could be very productive for the Boys defense, but my main question has to do with who will start and who will get the bulk of carries vs the Giants, Randle or McFadden. Right now it's anyone's guess.

I think the Giants game could be very productive for the Boys defense, but my main question has to do with who will start and who will get the bulk of carries vs the Giants, Randle or McFadden. Right now it's anyone's guess.

if i owned them both in standard scoring, i would start randle, who IMO will start and get more carries. PPR is a tossup--DMC is quite good out of the backfield.

we have nothing to go on as far as assessing GL. DMC has better size, while randle is more elusive. neither is well-suited for it, which i suspect is exactly why they brought michael in.

• Like 1

One of my opponents in Week 1 is sitting Randle and starting J Hill and A Blue as his RBs.

I assume he is waiting for DMcF to snap.

One of my opponents in Week 1 is sitting Randle and starting J Hill and A Blue as his RBs.

I assume he is waiting for DMcF to snap.

If Randle has been passed up by DMC and C-Mike was brought in it is pretty clear to me that Randle is not the guy.

if i owned them both in standard scoring, i would start randle, who IMO will start and get more carries. PPR is a tossup--DMC is quite good out of the backfield.

we have nothing to go on as far as assessing GL. DMC has better size, while randle is more elusive. neither is well-suited for it, which i suspect is exactly why they brought michael in.

Yep, IMO that's good analysis.

I buy it.

It's going to be the Randle show. He did well enough last year. Everything else is smoke and impending injuries.

One thing is for sure... it's crowded! I think this means that everyone is on a short leash... fumbles, blown blocking assignments, and mental errors might get you the hook real quick. I feel like randle, and DMC will split early, and then the staff will ride the hot hand. about game 4 i think CMIKE will be thrown in the mix for 4-6 carries to see what he's got. Who breaks out is anyone's guess. My personal guess is DMC wins out and is getting 12-15 carries by week 3... then he gets dinged which opens it up for CMIKE... I have a weird gut feeling that Dunbar could be a darkhorse come FF playoff time, but who knows.

Randle was fine, just fine. Add a TD, a Dallas lead, and he's a great RB2.

Who were the other 3rd to 6th round adp picks he was comped with?

Gore, LMurray, Abdullah, Martin, Jennings.... given the situation, and while Abdullah would be tempting, and Hyde who blew up, I think I'd still take Randle.

16 carries and 3 targets for Randle

6 carries and 1 target for McFadden

If that stat line continues a few more weeks, then the winner can be declared.

• Like 1

I think those who gambled on Randle left this Sunday with no reason to think that they screwed up. Dunbar is the Sproles of the DAL offense, but his impact was greatly magnified by Dez' absence. Dunbar is a good add in PPR leagues, though; I can see him putting up comparable stats for much of the year (at least the first half). I don't think Terrence Williams is all that good, mostly because he lacks consistent focus.

I think Randle is going to be good for 100 total yards every week, and a TD every other week. That's my thought.

• Like 1

16 carries and 3 targets for Randle

6 carries and 1 target for McFadden

If that stat line continues a few more weeks, then the winner can be declared.

Assuming that McFadden is still playing in a few weeks.

And quite possibly the best running back in that committee might not even have dressed for last night's game.

It's a bad situation to be in if you own Randle IMO , because I'm sure you over paid for him .

As a randle owner, I'm extremely happy given how bad it could have gone. That 1-handed catch 25 yard run sealed the deal in my eyes

As a randle owner, I'm extremely happy given how bad it could have gone. That 1-handed catch 25 yard run sealed the deal in my eyes

I've got no stock in Randle, but that was a nice play. DMC looked fast, though. Better than I've seen him run in years. (It's week 1, of course :))

C.hammer...your first name wouldn't be Chris, would it?

I think with the loss of Dez, we are likely to see a healthy dose of all the Dallas RBs. Randle, McFadden, and Dunbar should all see an increase in their touches/production. Michael will probably be worked into the offense as well when he gets up to speed on the playbook. At least for now, I would think you will get decent fantasy production out of both Randle, McFadden, and Dunbar. I think due to the situation, they will keep the RBBC with whoever is most productive getting the largest % of the load. Right now that appears to be Randle.