Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Any numismatists in here?

I inherited my fathers collection of coins and old paper money. I know nothing. All i know is i have 80 lbs of cans, boxes and medicine bottles of every denomination of coin, even some half pennies( who knew) several stacks of silver certificates. Some paper reichmarks from his ww2 days. So much to go through.

Ive been reading some websites about where to get started. Not really sure about selling any but need to make adjustments to insurance.

I imagine i will go through and sort by denomination first then date them and all that. Maybe get some albums to put the rarer stuff in.

What would you guys do?

Hi. Can you tell me more about what type of coins you have? That goes a long way in giving sound advise.

100+ silver quarters from the 30s and 40s

250 is mercury dimes from 1911 up

5 peace dollars

4-5 morgans

A whole bin full of wheat pennies.

Couple 100 silver certificates, barr dollars, about 2 grand in face value old bills from 2 to 50s

Thats all i have discovered so far...oh and 38 standing liberty quarters in bad shape

Your screwed. Theres gotta be a gold mine of value in there if you knew what to look for. But theres so much of it youd have to hire someone to go through it all and look up each piece. Theres no chance that person wouldnt just rip you off so your forced to do it yourself. Hunker down and make a project out of it. Go through it carefully, may take a month or more but will mine much more value.

take it to pawn stars and tell them you'll take nothing less $100,000.

take it to pawn stars and tell them you'll take nothing less $100,000.

Then they say $500 and you say how about we meet in the middle.

Then they say $500 and you say how about we meet in the middle.

Tell ya what, ill give ya a hundred bucks, hows that sound?

Ok a few points.

Mercury dimes did not start protection until 1916 so I assume you made a typo. If you have dimes from 1911 those are barber dimes.

A few questions:

1) How are these coins stored? Like for example are the Morgans or 'silver quarters' in rolls? Books?

2) Are all the coins raw?

'raw' means not graded. A graded coin will be in a plastic slab. It could say ANA, PCGS. NGC. IGC, ANACS and should give a grade.

3) ."..value old bills .."

When you say 'old' what do you mean? Currency is not something I collect a lot of. I am much more of a coin collector but I know enough to give an opinion.

The SLQ being in bad shape is very common. They were a bad series and wear out very easily.

It is unlike you have one but the 1916 SLQ is an extremely rare coin and even in very poor condition brings 4 digit numbers. Again is very UNLIKELY you have one but a 1916 SLQ can be identified even with the date so worn off you can't see.

I look forward to more information.

Yea you could have little value or something of great value. Carson City mint Morgan's for example are more desired than the San Francisco or Denver mints. Condition of the coins is important and don't clean them under any circumstances. Say you have an 1889 CC in decent shape than your in the money. It would take some research and if it is worth while to grade the raw coins. A 60-70 scale for uncirculated coins and then fine, good , extra fine, etc for circulated coins. It can become quite complicated and cut throat among dealers trying to screw you over and get the best deals for themselves. I have been there and done that you get some real slick dueds in the business. But if you find it interesting it's history and relaxing if you are not in it for investment or making a quick buck.

Thanks for the info guys and you are correct there were a few barber dimes in there. I think i have a 1917s SLQ since there is no stars ( type1 ) under the eagle on back. And the hair is thin and curled up on the back of the head.

Currency wise i mean old like 1920s thru 50's most look circulated.

There is one slabbed (im learning the terminology) 1901 morgan. The rest are all loose in plastic containers, old english leather boxes, jewelry boxes and ziplock bags lol. I ordered a bunch of cardboard flips.

There were some 1890's morgans and a walking liberty half dollar.

Quite a few nice 64 silver halfs

10 indian head pennies

Some steel war pennies..

Some of the silver certs look totally crisp..no folds and very clean

And a ton of various years 2 dollar bills

Im not looking to get rich or in any hurry to get rid of it but a few extra dollars isnt bad either.

Oh and found about six foreign bills full of signatures..i recognized a couple names from his flight crew. They are called " short snorters". Evidently guys traveling together overseas would sign bills and when you saw them again and if you couldnt produce the bill you bought em a shot (snort).