Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 3 & 4 Commentary - July PPR **

After securing Leveon with a bit of risk at #1 I was chosen with a bit of a dilemma at the 2/3 turn. Do I go WR-WR and wait a long time to pick another RB again or do I secure a solid RB and wait on WR 2 some?

I think it could be argued both ways and I'd have to do more drafts from this position to see what team make up I might like but in the end I choose the second strategy.

Having my #1 WR, and only WR at this point, who is a somphore with a rookie QB does concern me but welll see what the 4/5 turn brings. :)

Not enthralled with Hilton at 3.03, but it's good value, not horrible but not all that spectacular either, still I would not find the same production later if I sprung for the otherr "values" available here

Psh. Give me players that are going to score lots of points, thank you. Enter the high-upside duo of Jeffery and Hopkins, who will probably catch 170+ balls between them. Fred Lane in the 18th, baby!

I just wonder how Hopkins handles #1 duties with that QB situation and nobody to speak of on the otherside? They still have Foster and I realize he is a #2 on Dan's squad.

In the first 3 rounds you want sure things and Rodgers is the most sure thing left at this point. Everyone else has at least some warts (RB that doesn't catch the ball, WR with a new QB/Offensive Coordinator/position etc...). It's too early to start taking players that you have to cross your fingers on when you pick 'em.

ICEMAN

Just catching up guys. Will pick shortly.

Are the forums slow/hanging for anyone else this morning?

Are the forums slow/hanging for anyone else this morning?

Yes. Driving me nuts. Oh how spoiled we are from the days of 28.8k

3.08 Frank Gore ... Will happily take him here as my RB2. Even though he's gone to a new team (something I usually dock players value for) I just don't see him not picking up the offense with Luck out there with him. He has no real competition for carries and has always had good hands so he won't come off the field on "passing" downs. His age and wear and tear are the concern. If he remains healthy he can be a work-horse in that offense, similar to Lacy's situation.

I think spiller is a nice back to get later in the third. I havent drafted later than the 6th spot yet so he hasnt landed on any of my teams so far. I always hope hes there in the 4th but hr never makes it quite that far. This is when i have my typical draft of rb wr wr. Now that i have 2 primary backs idk that i would take him in the 4th if he was still available.

Guys, can we please all use the requested format. I happy to help to keep the lists updated but it would be very helpful to only have to copy/paste rather than copy/paste/retype.

Reminder:

POS First Last, TEAM

QB Andrew Luck, IND

Much appreciated.

Am i putting too many commas in? Does this mean you do not want us to include the pick?

3.09 RB CJ Spiller, NO

RB CJ Spiller, NO

Sorry, see now that I messed up, but trying to do this from my phone is a challenge, vacationing at St Simons isle in georgia this week

Am i putting too many commas in? Does this mean you do not want us to include the pick?

3.09 RB CJ Spiller, NO

RB CJ Spiller, NO

The pick should be included. Whether it has a dash or not after it is fine either way. It's what comes after that we copy/paste, so what you have above (bold) is perfect. Thanks.

Sorry, see now that I messed up, but trying to do this from my phone is a challenge, vacationing at St Simons isle in georgia this week

No worries Ray. I know phones can autocorrect out of the format we type sometimes too. Thanks.

Sorry forgot he comma on my pick,

Was torn between Hyde and Ingram and I just preferred the offense in NEw Oreleans more

Sorry that took so long. I had Hyde crossed of my list, and as I was catching up with the picks I didn't notice his selection in the 3rd round. I double checked everything then selected him. I had another back queued for selection who I have ranked behind Carlos, so I was pleased to get the upgrade. I had Carlos and Gore neck and neck ahead of Spiller and Ingram. The 49er's will have to control clock this season and reel in their QB until he gets back on track. The QB is a vulture but these young legs should give the OC confidence he can bang it in and save his signal caller some of the abuse. I knew Robb needed backs bad and didn't want to wait on what he wittled down for my 4th round selection.

Morris as the 19th RB off the Board was a no-brainer for me. I needed a #1 running back, and he will have little competition for the job and if he performs like he is capable, certainly is a top 15 RB.

Murray, the Oakland MURRAY!) will be my "homerun" running back as he could perform like a top 10 back, or he could also be a RB25. But, he has little competition for the job (Richardson-come on) and the new HC DelRio likes to run the ball.

Two running backs who has the job and "it's theirs to lose" are what I am pleased with at the turn.

I would have taken Hyde here, but as always, RC snagged him right before me. Someday I hope to return the favor RC!!

I had Morris typed in until I noticed I had errantly crossed Hyde off. Good safe selection now that his vulture is gone, though that vulture is now in Oakland. Murray is gonna get a big shot at this job and you had to risk it with him in my estimation.

Like murray a lot. He is my rb 2 typically since i usually go rb wr wr.

On morris, i disagree that he has no competition. The coaches like what they see out of matt jones. Plus morris isnt a good option for receptions, though after watching him catch the ball his stone hands stigma is over blown. Its almost like the coaches heard all of the talk about his poor receiving skills and took it at face value. I think they should throw to him a little more than they do. A multidimensional rb gives the defense more to think about. If morris is as bad at catching as people say, he should get less plays because its easier to defend one dimension than multiple dimensions.

Normally wouldn't take two WRs from the same squad but it was hard passing on Sanders he's got the potential to be a top 10 WR this season again. And it's best ball format so give me points!!

Like murray a lot. He is my rb 2 typically since i usually go rb wr wr.

On morris, i disagree that he has no competition. The coaches like what they see out of matt jones. Plus morris isnt a good option for receptions, though after watching him catch the ball his stone hands stigma is over blown. Its almost like the coaches heard all of the talk about his poor receiving skills and took it at face value. I think they should throw to him a little more than they do. A multidimensional rb gives the defense more to think about. If morris is as bad at catching as people say, he should get less plays because its easier to defend one dimension than multiple dimensions.

I'm in the same boat on Morris. He just doesn't catch passes and it hurts his value. I do think he can catch, but don't think he's the type of back that can take advantage of catching in space and doesn't get his head around quickly. That's why I think he's not utilized in that capacity.

Normally wouldn't take two WRs from the same squad but it was hard passing on Sanders he's got the potential to be a top 10 WR this season again. And it's best ball format so give me points!!

Dam you Nic !!

Thought for sure Sanders would get by you, since you had DT. Was just hoping Guru didn't take him.

First you get Forte (1st round value) in the 2nd, and now you get Sanders (3rd round value) in the 4th. You're cleaning up.

:mad:

I know Sanders is going higher than last year but I still feel people are underestimating him again. I loved him going into last year and made sure to draft him on most of my teams. He paid off well but I was getting him pretty late. This year he's not slipping past the 4th round but he is still capable of producing WR1 numbers and you can get him as your WR2. I was considering taking him as my WR3 if he was still available at my turn.

Loved Sanders last year when he could be found later and the value was strong, it is not suprising to see his value thus year going a bit higher than he real worth, but it might open up things for others later

I can't wait to see what AJ does with Luck!!! I just haven't had the guts to take him yet but feel he could easily be the #1 WR there.

I think a lot of people have high expectations for him. I'm excited to see what he will do too but not sure I want to pick him too early. Tons of potential.

I can't wait to see what AJ does with Luck!!! I just haven't had the guts to take him yet but feel he could easily be the #1 WR there.

An Andre without hammy issues? Sign me up. The Andre that burns me every time i draft him? Thats the receiver who will show up if he ends up on one of my important squads.

People (experts?) have been quick to say that Andre Johnson is getting old and isn't separating as much anymore. OK? Last year's 85-catch campaign was his worst effort in a season in which he played at least 13 games since 2005 and that was with arguably the worst quarterbacking in the league, a coach that was de-emphasizing his role in the offense while also trying to get his tag-team partner (Hopkins) more involved. Let's also not forget that Houston ran the ball as much as any team in the league. Now, he will play for the best young quarterback in the league, is arguably the only "possession" receiver in an offense that throws it as much as any team in the league, should benefit from players like Hilton stretching the field and probably won't be the focus of many defensive game plans anymore. I think a 90-catch, 1,000-plus yard, eight-TD season is within reach for him, enough to make him a WR1 in all leagues. As I stated earlier, however, I only need him to perform better than most other teams' TE1 for this move to pay off since Gronk is essentially a low-end WR1 himself.

People (experts?) have been quick to say that Andre Johnson is getting old and isn't separating as much anymore. OK? Last year's 85-catch campaign was his worst effort in a season in which he played at least 13 games since 2005 and that was with arguably the worst quarterbacking in the league, a coach that was de-emphasizing his role in the offense while also trying to get his tag-team partner (Hopkins) more involved. Now, he'll play for the best young quarterback in the league, is arguably the only "possession" receiver in an offense that throws it as much as any team in the league, should benefit from players like Hilton stretching the field and probably won't be the focus of many defensive game plans anymore. I think a 90-catch, 1,000-plus yard, eight-TD season is within reach for him, enough to make him a WR1 in all leagues. As I stated earlier, however, I only need him to perform better than most other teams' TE1 for this move to pay off since Gronk is essentially a low-end WR1 himself.

I had Sanders, Andre and Graham on my radar approaching my pick. With Luck and Gore already in the fold, taking Andre would have been a little worrisome (eggs/basket), but I project 90-1200-9 for him. Well worth a 4th round grade.

As for Graham, yes he's now in the run-first offense of SEA but I still see him getting double-digit TDs and at least 80 receptions and 1K yards. With the potential for more. Who else does SEA really have to throw to? With all the talk of Graham having to block, what I see out of that is more seem routes from the in-line formation. Play action to Lynch popping quick hitters to Graham for long yards, catching teams with 8 in the box. He's been going late 2nd to mid/late 3rd so happy to get him mid-4th.