Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***Geek Club History Draft***

I have a degree in math and wrote a paper in college on fundamental Markov processes as they apply to social influence.

Am i in the draft pool? I can shot gun a beer with the best of them

Yo! Volty, you got another live one. :thumbsup:

I was actually drafting Euler as a mathematician.

OK I'll do that. There's some overlap with this stuff.

Yo! Volty, you got another live one. :thumbsup:

I have some history (pun intended) with this guy.

I have a degree in math and wrote a paper in college on fundamental Markov processes as they apply to social influence.

Am i in the draft pool? I can shot gun a beer with the best of them

Shoot me two names to get caught up and you're in as well.

I'm interested to follow this, but I don't have the time or historical knowledge to do it justice. :thumbsup:

I'm interested to follow this, but I don't have the time or historical knowledge to do it justice. :thumbsup:

Yeah. I was a history major whereas you were an "I wanna get paid when I'm done with this" major so I have the advantage here.

Right now if TBBOM makes a pick I'll take it but if the draft gets back to me, no. I'll freeze it and not pick until I hear back from Mung to confirm he's in when he gives me two names.

Eh... I changed my mind regarding Mung. He's more than welcome to join but I see no reason to hold up the draft for him.

2.6 Michelangelo - Artist (visual)

You guys know the deal ... the statue of David and Pieta were both done when before he turned 30, in his 70s he was the archetect of St. Peter's Basillica and in between the list goes on and on including the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. A long career of unrivaled excellence

3.1 WIlliam Shakesphere - Poet

Another one that needs no introduction: 38 plays 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems. We're all fmilir with plenty of them.

We have a 'collabortor' clause in our rules and since some modern scholars raise doubts that it was the glovemaker wrote the plays credited to him,, there's various theories of who else it may have been. I'm going to invoke that clause to be safe.

Okay I'm not waiting either, give me The Wright Brothers and Henry Ford.

Um...you still have to wait for TBBOM (then in turn BPB and vudu) before you make picks. Mung was a special case. I thought Mung was maybe going to do what you did and jump in a bit late but, no. He was just joking about his eligability to be drafted.

TBBOM is the one picking and he can't be skipped.

He's doing some traveling for his job and is going to be hard to get ahold of for the next day or two until his schedule goes back to normal. He's a teacher overseas in China like I am so almost always it's a pretty stable job in that he stays in one place to teach classes. This is a one time thing he has to do to straighten his visa. I agree it doesn't make the wait any more fun or fast though.

...count down to me taking Henry Ford.

j/k.

(this does mean we have a gentleman's agreement that you won't take Mary Quant)

(Great Women, creator of the mini skirt)

That is not my next pick, Volty. :nono:

Wow new meaning to Geek Club

I smack shotsup upside the head with my warhammer.

A seventeen, I hit.

You take 4+2, total six points of damage. Now get out of this thread b*tch before I cast fireball.

• Like 2

90sb is already screwing this thing up. Jumping in late, picking outta turn, and taking away my ability to take 2 picks in a row at the turn.

Criminal - Nelson Mandela

Narrowly escaped a death sentence after being convicted of sabotage.

After serving 27 years in prison, he was released and went on to receive the Nobel Peace Prize and become the 1st President of post-apatheid South Africa.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/June/Nelson-Mandela-Sentenced-to-Life-in-Prison.html

90sb is already screwing this thing up. Jumping in late, picking outta turn, and taking away my ability to take 2 picks in a row at the turn.

actually, due to his offsides violation, we know who he's taking so you've got one more shot here to take two in a row.

Ok. Next pick.

Performing Artist: The Beatles.

Do I need to explain why?

No need to explain.

I'll take this opportunity to flush out a rule a bit. I think a music band is in bounds -no problem- but about the limits as we want to stretch the collaborator clause.

There can be some double dip if somebody claimed an individual member, say Paul McCartney.

"NASA" or "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" would seem to be on the other side of the line.

TBBOM is probably asleep so no need to check on us. He's back home from his vacation by the way. I got in touch with him at lunch time in China when he made his Tesla pick.

No need to explain.

I'll take this opportunity to flush out a rule a bit. I think a music band is in bounds -no problem- but about the limits as we want to stretch the collaborator clause.

There can be some double dip if somebody claimed an individual member, say Paul McCartney.

"NASA" or "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" would seem to be on the other side of the line.

Hmmm....Are we going to allow individual band members to picked in the same category?

I guess he had a decent solo career, but are we really gonna allow McCartney to be selected when I already have him as part of the Beatles?

I also wondered about selecting the same individual in different categories. For example, you selected Da Vinci in the jack of all trades category.

I take that to mean that he is now off the board for any and all other categories. Is that correct?

Ding, Ding. That category has its champion

Yeah, they're still out there. We're slowly trimming them though.

A couple of world changing discoveries on tap here...

4.5 Christopher Columbus - Explorer

With massive cojones, set off due west into the great unknown in search of China, found the Caribbean and a whole new hemisphere instead, triggering the Age of Exploration. This had been tantastic's pick at 1.3 before he bailed. I thought it was a solid #1 in the category.

5.1 Charles Darwin - Scientist (Biology)

Also sailed far to the west 350 years later and gathered evidence for the Theory of Evolution. Both of these guys set off many many changes and opened doors to great discoveries.

Hey Volty, two questions.

!) Can I select someone, and decide later which category I want to use them in? Say for example I take the Dowager Empress Cixi. She could be a great woman, or an advisor. If I put her in the advisor slot, and later there is a run on great women, I may be out of luck. See what I'm saying?

2) Could you explain the "talk show guest" categories please?

I was going to put Marco Polo in as my #1 talk show guest pretty soon. He may have the best life story of all time.

What my thinking with that category was that I wanted to have a diverse mix of interesting and brilliant people who can tell captivating stories of their life events or intereting things of their research or someting. Their thumbprint on history is less important than their coollness factor if that makes sense.

I'm thinking I may want to merge the two categories into one big category and encourage diversity of experience in it.

You can change categories, sure.

I was going to put Marco Polo in as my #1 talk show guest pretty soon. He may have the best life story of all time.

What my thinking with that category was that I wanted to have a diverse mix of interesting and brilliant people who can tell captivating stories of their life events or intereting things of their research or someting. Their thumbprint on history is less important than their coollness factor if that makes sense.

I'm thinking I may want to merge the two categories into one big category and encourage diversity of experience in it.

Good Lord you are a dork. :)

• Like 1

Good Lord you are a dork. :)

Yes I am. Shotsup was just saying the same thing. Thanks for reminding me.

You know, if you don't like the dorks in this thread, may I suggest The Poop Thread currently halfway down page one where you'll find the jokes and conversation topic far more suitable for you. There's a pickup line there that'll do for your dating life what Origin of Species did for Life Scieces discussions. Bye. :wave:

Thomas Edison, Inventor.

p.s. I tried two times earlier today to check in here, but got the internal error bs. I can live with it, but if we ever get tired of it, ed has a bored.

Really? I thought that was just a China problem.

If we went to ed's board, just think about all the love letters from JTB, shotsup, and others we'd be missing out on.

I have to say editing those first three posts in this thread all the time is far more a chore than it should be.