Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

Question For Dynasty Commissioners

I am starting a new dynasty league. It will likely be 12 teams, PPR, IDP with salary caps and contracts. I have been in multiple dynasty leagues like this, but I have never been in one from the beginning. I have been league commish of several redraft leagues, but I have never run a dynasty league.

I am wondering about how to handle the initial draft. It will probably be a snake draft. I get the arguments for an auction at startup, but I just strongly prefer snake drafts. I can't give you a good reason, just a strong personal preference. After the draft, FA's will be handled through an auction bid system.

My initial inclination is to just have one draft the first year, and include rookies. Is there an advantage to doing a rookie draft separate the first year? What are your thoughts on when to do the draft. Should I wait until right before the season like a redraft, or would it be good to get things started right after the NFL draft? Does it matter?

I am starting a new dynasty league. It will likely be 12 teams, PPR, IDP with salary caps and contracts. I have been in multiple dynasty leagues like this, but I have never been in one from the beginning. I have been league commish of several redraft leagues, but I have never run a dynasty league.

I am wondering about how to handle the initial draft. It will probably be a snake draft. I get the arguments for an auction at startup, but I just strongly prefer snake drafts. I can't give you a good reason, just a strong personal preference. After the draft, FA's will be handled through an auction bid system.

My initial inclination is to just have one draft the first year, and include rookies. Is there an advantage to doing a rookie draft separate the first year? What are your thoughts on when to do the draft. Should I wait until right before the season like a redraft, or would it be good to get things started right after the NFL draft? Does it matter?

It Depends.

I like the idea of an actual draft to start the league off. I'd even consider doing the main draft now and the rookie draft just before the season begins.

but your league rules regarding keepers and such need to be considered in your decision here too.

Personally, i dont like separate rookie drafts. The first few picks end up with a massive advantage imo. I have had all 3 startup dynasty drafts include rookies and i wouldnt have it any other way.

Are all 12 owners in the same area? An auction seems really difficult to do if it isnt a live draft. Snake is you best option if you cant get everyone in the same spot.

Auction > Snake draft imo. By quite a bit. MFL auction is fine. Prefer rookies in with vets for start up then separate rookie/vet drafts starting year 2 and beyond. Have solid bylaws in place that cover everything. Consider mandatory cut downs along with escalating cap amounts for kept players - that will help prevent any one team from taking over and stock the vet draft with talent. 12 teams w IDP I'd imagine 22 active w 12 starters?

Auction > Snake draft imo. By quite a bit. MFL auction is fine. Prefer rookies in with vets for start up then separate rookie/vet drafts starting year 2 and beyond. Have solid bylaws in place that cover everything. Consider mandatory cut downs along with escalating cap amounts for kept players - that will help prevent any one team from taking over and stock the vet draft with talent. 12 teams w IDP I'd imagine 22 active w 12 starters?

I agree Auctions are more fun.

but for a startup sometimes a draft is easier because an auction will take at least 2x the amount of time. (possibly more) and starting from scratch with no keepers, this promises to be a long day.

I'd probably do a snake draft to get things started, and an auction yearly thereafter.

I guess it really depends on the priorities of the league and that's something only the league can answer for.

I agree Auctions are more fun.

but for a startup sometimes a draft is easier because an auction will take at least 2x the amount of time. (possibly more) and starting from scratch with no keepers, this promises to be a long day.

I'd probably do a snake draft to get things started, and an auction yearly thereafter.

I guess it really depends on the priorities of the league and that's something only the league can answer for.

An auction for dynasty rookie drafts? How does that work?

How are you going to have an initial snake draft AND a salary cap? Makes more sense to have an auction draft if you are going to have a salary cap.

How are you going to have an initial snake draft AND a salary cap? Makes more sense to have an auction draft if you are going to have a salary cap.

Makes no sense. Plus auction >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> snake draft.

Every owner should be able to acquire any player they want at anytime (if willing to pay).

If you like the long-drawn-out-ness of a multi-week draft, you can do the same for an auction on some sites (MFL, for example).

You can slot salary caps according to first/second/third/etc player taken. MFL auctions take around the same time as snake drafts in my experience, provided the clock and nomination process is run capably.

you want the best idea ever?

Here you go:

Start slow like our league did; we began as a keeper league.

year one: keep 6

year two: keep 10

year three: full dynasty

What I like about what we did is that no one was doomed by one year's bad draft, people became acclimated to player value, and mistakes were minimized in the creation process...

you want the best idea ever?

Here you go:

Start slow like our league did; we began as a keeper league.

year one: keep 6

year two: keep 10

year three: full dynasty

What I like about what we did is that no one was doomed by one year's bad draft, people became acclimated to player value, and mistakes were minimized in the creation process...

Yeah but isnt it inevitable for a few teams to be doomed no matter what?

Yeah but isnt it inevitable for a few teams to be doomed no matter what?

well, it worked out in our league. We started the dynasty in 03... at that point most of us had four or five years of experience...

the best advantage was learning what 'value' was within our particular league. for instance before last season andrew luck or aaron rodgers would cost you three first rounders, and no one else could get a first rounder; 4pts a td pass combined with 1 pt per 20 passing will do that to a league that only starts 12 guys...

one change we made last year was mandatory 2 kickers and 2 defenses. we did this because most everyone was streaming and the positions had no value. once they were mandatory, and you couldn't stream, we saw carson palmer traded for the rams defense this year... talk about league specific value right?

jdon

Thanks for all the input. I know a lot of people find auctions more fun. I'm just not one of those people. I'm a seasoned vet who has done a lot of both and I just prefer snake draft to auction, when drafting an entire team. I know all the arguments for auction, and I am not going to try and counter them, it's just preference. That being said, we will have FA's done by auction bid. We will have a rookie draft every year.

As far as the salary cap working with a draft, we already do this with rookies drafts in all of my salary cap leagues. We just use a sliding scale for the initial salary based on draft slot.

Jdon, I do like the idea of starting as a keeper and then morphing into dynasty. I have another keeper that I might use that idea for. However, it's just not what I am looking for with this particular league.

Again, thanks all. You have given me a few things to think about.

if it is a startup you created, do it how you want. owners joined your league.

yes you can bend things to help make things better, but they joined your league for your settings. people always join and try to change rules to their favorite or what they are good at.