Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

August Mock How do you like your team?

Favorite pick?

Least favorite pick?

Who did you miss on?

Sleeper pick?

Overall thoughts on your final team?

Favorite pick? This is tough because I really like a lot of my guys. I think I'm going with Brees since he was such a surprise for me to be there.

Least favorite pick? Don't have a least favorite pick but it would've been nice to have a true stud WR. Not sure I do.

Who did you miss on? With the 7th pick I missed on the top WRs so I felt I needed to take a RB. The one that sticks out though is Cam. I really thought of taking him with how late he was available but I waited and he got picked.

Sleeper pick? Washington and Snead

Overall thoughts on your final team? I ended up drafting completely different than I'm use to but I really like the results. I prefer going WR heavy in PPR leagues but when Gurley was there I felt I needed to grab him and in the second when Miller was there I couldn't pass up that combo. My are not as solid as I generally like but I feel the RBs I have and the depth I have at WR will offset it. As you can see I did not draft a K since we were not required to. When there are a few weeks before the season I do not want to waste a valuable roster spot on my team with a kicker unless it's Gostkowski. I'd rather keep as many depth players as possible and then the day before the first game I'll drop my worst player for a kicker.

QB Drew Brees

RB Todd Gurley

Lamar Miller

Duke Johnson

Gio Bernard

Jay Ajayi

DeAndre Washington

WR Demaryius Thomas

Jeremy Maclin

Larry Fitzgerald

Kevin White

Willie Snead

Tavon Austin

Travis Benjamin

TE Zach Ertz

DST Kansas City Chiefs

Favorite pick? The 2/3 turn worked out nicely I thought with ARob and Ingram. If Ingram continues to be used in the passing game he's a bargain at that spot.

Least favorite pick? Matt Forte. If I had a redo I would probably pick Demarco instead.

Who did you miss on? Missed out on a couple QB runs, nearly missed getting Jordy, Gates, and Coates.

Sleeper pick? I'll say Dwayne Allen. Very TD dependent, but no more Fleener and I think he's in for a bounce back season with Luck back at the helm.

Overall thoughts on your final team? Pretty solid I think (hard not to be in a 10 team IMO), my only weakness I see is Forte, but if Jones comes into his own he can be a fine RB2.

QB: Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor

RB: Mark Ingram, Matt Forte, Matt Jones, Theo Riddick, Darren McFadden

WR: Antonio Brown, Allen Robinson, Doug Baldwin, Desean Jackson, Torrey Smith, Michael Thomas

TE: Jordan Reed, Dwayne Allen

D/ST: Rams

I had been planning a different thrust for my post-mock summary, but I’ll throw in my favorite and least favorite picks at the end.

Here are the top 8 adjustments that the August Mock inspired as I fine-tune my rankings in preparation for the real draft:

1. If I really want Duke Johnson, I should probably be pulling the trigger a half-round early. When Hawkeye got him at #54 (which is pretty much in-line, actually), there was a ripple wave of responses from other interested parties.

2. As much as I might try to fit a square peg into a round hole, Frank Gore is not Ahmad Bradshaw because he’s unlikely to be getting the receptions Bradshaw did. Aim for Giovani Bernard in that spot instead. (and consider Ferguson for later)

3. I’ll be keeping Le’Veon Bell. No matter how un-sexy it strikes me, I must choose a middle round in which I pair him with DeAngelo Williams. Think of it as a punch-out from the trees that gets me back on the fairway.

4. I’m higher on Doug Baldwin than most drafters are and he slid a few spots south of his ADP in this mock. It may pay for me to target him a round later and pick up a Maclin, Decker, Reed or Wilson in the earlier round instead.

5. Having suffered extreme frustration as a Jordan Matthews owner last year, I took note that experienced posters such as Giraldi and Frozenbeernuts still had good things to say about him. I’m probably undervaluing him.

6. I’m also undervaluing Jonathan Stewart. I chose Ivory in that round but Stewart may get more total touches than Ivory. While Cam vultured a lot of goal-line TDs, I didn’t realize Stewart got as many red zone carries as he did, relative to other RBs.

7. Don’t assume Bilal Powell will be there in the super late rounds.

8. After seeing Giraldi’s advocacy of Clive Walford, I’ll be keeping an eye on Walford’s performance in the preseason.

My favorite pick was Sterling Shepard as responses flowed in from other interested parties. I felt a certain electricity in striking a chord that resonated with close to half the room.

My least favorite was Arian Foster. Not that I mind getting Foster, or mind picking him in the 5th but that he was an unplanned pick based on my pre-mock gameplanning. It threw me off my stride emotionally, but my ship got righted before things got back around to me.

Overall thoughts: It may be a longshot, but if Foster can regain his 2014 form, along with Bell, then watch out !!