Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Dak Prescott stakes his claim to the cowboys backup QB job

Sometimes you got to go with the most sure thing though and they clearly thought it was Zeke. They would have drafted Bosa before him but he was taken. He's already a headache for San Diego. They went best available. Plus this was before DeMarcus Lawrence failed a drug test. It may have been before Gregory did too but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Lawrence had proven to be an injury prone problem heading into 2016... And both he and Gregory were both troubled players with a history of off the field issues before either were even drafted. Counting on them was stupid to begin with - to be all the sudden surprised is moronic.... Bosa is the 1 guy I did not want, least not at 4. Between he and Zeke there - I'd rather have Elliot.

Sometimes you got to go with the most sure thing though and they clearly thought it was Zeke. They would have drafted Bosa before him but he was taken. He's already a headache for San Diego. They went best available.

Jaylon Smith, 2nd Round... Best player available theory, really - on a defense this bad he was the 34th best player available???

I would assume a team believes their scouting department is pathetic if the 4 pick roles around and this is their reaction

Well it's our pick. Who we going to take?

Well there is probably a shut down corner, a sack machine, and a ray Lewis somewhere in this draft.

Oh yeah, who do you think those people are?

I have no clue. Let's draft a nice safe running back because we really can't identify talent anywhere else.

Awesome! Let's do this every year!

well, this team could certainly use a shutdown corner. There is no doubt about that.

well, this team could certainly use a shutdown corner. There is no doubt about that.

Even more than this - both Carr and Claiborne are gone after this season, then what? We will have Scandrick left and thats it. How nice it would of been to have a guy on the roster learning and readying for their replacement on the team now.

Jaylon Smith, 2nd Round... Best player available theory, really - on a defense this bad he was the 34th best player available???

I've been a Cowboys for 35 yrs.

When he was announced as the pick I almost threw up

I said he was a bad pick. Who knows if he will ever even be healthy enough to play.

I would assume a team believes their scouting department is pathetic if the 4 pick roles around and this is their reaction

Well it's our pick. Who we going to take?

Well there is probably a shut down corner, a sack machine, and a ray Lewis somewhere in this draft.

Oh yeah, who do you think those people are?

I have no clue. Let's draft a nice safe running back because we really can't identify talent anywhere else.

Awesome! Let's do this every year!

Ok name them.

I do regret the team passing on Jalen Ramsey .. but it will be fun to watch Zeke play anyway.

Jaylon Smith doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but hopefully some of his upside will solidify .. eventually.

I do regret the team passing on Jalen Ramsey .. but it will be fun to watch Zeke play anyway.

Jaylon Smith doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but hopefully some of his upside will solidify .. eventually.

Possible.. But I've been a fan since 1975, and it's been 20 years since we've sniffed a SB - how much more "eventually" do we have to take?

But Jerry has his $1B stadium, Jerry now has his $1.5B practice shrine and Jerry has 90,000+ asses in the seats every Sunday - winning is about 3rd on his priority list now.

He'a impressive. Happy Cowboys fan here.

and another here.

he's a rookie and he's going to screw up. if he's forced to start in the regular season, things are going to be a lot different. but if goff were playing like this, everyone would still be impressed.

i really like the kid, an not just because of his preseason numbers. am more and more happy about this pick.

Even more than this - both Carr and Claiborne are gone after this season, then what? We will have Scandrick left and thats it. How nice it would of been to have a guy on the roster learning and readying for their replacement on the team now.

book it--with any kind of decent season, claiborne will be back. i'll absolutely own it if not.

besides, DAL already had ramsay on their team. he's #31, and he plays safety just like ramsay should be.

smith makes a ton of sense if you're swinging for the fences. we're talking about trading the 2016 34th pick for the 2017th 1st overall pick. look that up on the harvard chart.

then consider that smith was the 4th choice.

1st was the trade package for lynch.

2nd was ogbah.

3rd was dodd.

at that point, DAL had a choice between 2 premium talents: jack and smith. i would have taken jack and won the draft. jerry made the bigger gamble.

Ok name them.

Not my job. That's Dallas' scouting who is responsible to find them. There are studs on defense that come out of every single draft.

book it--with any kind of decent season, claiborne will be back. i'll absolutely own it if not.

Possibly - depends on the $. Jerry would love to keep him, justification for the insane move he made to go get him.

...at that point, DAL had a choice between 2 premium talents: jack and smith. i would have taken jack and won the draft. jerry made the bigger gamble.

When a guy with a destroyed nerve and who may never play a down of football again is the top guy on your board at 34 - you've got more stupidity in the room than a room should be allowed to have... This is the same team that took Gavin Escobar in the 2nd - now all of the sudden they're in the premium pick frame of mind in the 2nd rounds - since when?

20 years and counting - and the rose colored crowd still wonders why - incredible.

smith makes a ton of sense if you're swinging for the fences. we're talking about trading the 2016 34th pick for the 2017th 1st overall pick. look that up on the harvard chart.

then consider that smith was the 4th choice.

1st was the trade package for lynch.

2nd was ogbah.

3rd was dodd.

at that point, DAL had a choice between 2 premium talents: jack and smith. i would have taken jack and won the draft. jerry made the bigger gamble.

I was also wondering why they wouldnt go for Jack. Lots of upside there too.

When a guy with a destroyed nerve and who may never play a down of football again is the top guy on your board at 34 - you've got more stupidity in the room than a room should be allowed to have...

be accurate. the nerve was stretched, not destroyed. the prognosis for that injury is very good, meaning that more likely than not, you get a top 5 pick at 34.

i agree with your general point that combining the elliot pick (win now) with the smith pick (eye on future) was highly questionable draft strategy. but the smith pick had solid logic behind it.

I was also wondering why they wouldnt go for Jack. Lots of upside there too.

local insiders reported that the conversation in the room went like this:

"LB is the highest attrition position in the league. we have a choice of 2 guys. one guy can start this season, but whose knee is degenerative and who may not outlast his rookie contract. the other guy can't play this season, but whose knee will probably be as good as new. the second guy also has kuechly-level talent and instincts, and can be a long-time cornerstone player like ray lewis or urlacher. oh, and the second guy is a natural MLB, while the first plays lee's position."

now, i was on team 'pick ramsay', but i didn't mind the elliot pick at all. it was a definite win now pick, geared towards maximizing romo's last years. when jack was still on the board at 34, i was shouting at the TV. even out of position at mike (or sam--this was prior to romac's suspension), he still would have been an impact guy.

and like i said, elliot + jack would have won the draft.

be accurate. the nerve was stretched, not destroyed. the prognosis for that injury is very good, meaning that more likely than not, you get a top 5 pick at 34.

It doesn't matter if it was 100% guaranteed that he'd heal up and play in 2017 - you don't go 20 years not sniffing a SB, you don't go with a half ass non playmaking defensive unit and you don't go with "eventually" and "maybe might play next year" when you have the 34th pick in the draft - period... Even with Lee this LB group is average, more like below average. We need help now - especially considering we are starting a 4'9" middle linebacker.

i agree with your general point that combining the elliot pick (win now) with the smith pick (eye on future) was highly questionable draft strategy. but the smith pick had solid logic behind it.

Tell you another thing that infuriates me - this team's flip/flop, waffling stance on 'troubled' players risk taking.

Are we in the biz of taking quality character type players or are we not? We took Demarcus Lawrence and Gregory knowing damn good and well of their issues beforehand. We resigned the mental midget McClain - hell we even signed Hardy... The 34th pick rolls around, even b4 the Tank Lawrence suspension we were in desperate need of a pass rushing end, the best one in the draft (Noah Spence) is sitting there - and we pass, take a really nice, character guy who might or might not ever play a down of football... Why???? Bcoz of his off the field issues - when did that all of the sudden become a concern?

Btw - Spence is said to be tearing it up in Bucs camp.

Uh, Dak just led his team down the field for a td, which he threw, on the road, in Seattle, against their 1st unit.

Uh, Dak just led his team down the field for a td, which he threw, on the road, in Seattle, against their 1st unit.

It's starting to get serious...

It's starting to get serious...

Wilson was 3rd, Dak a 4th round pick - neither was their teams' 1st choice... Just saying.

There's already so many cowboy/Dak themed names you can pivot your team to with this guy.

Dak to the future

The Dakstreet Boys

Once you go Dak you never go back

The boys are Dak in town

Wow, maybe his most impressive play of the season.. Stood in against a full assault, delivered the ball, took the hit - completion to get his team in FG range. Won't show up on a stat sheet - but that was impressive.

And none of it means shite. He does this in Wk 1? Ok then.

Thanks Capt. Obvious...1st it was 'it was the Rams', then it was 'it's against backups', now it's preseason in general.. This is on the road in the hardest place to play, against the 1st unit of arguably the best defense in the league - that's nails no matter how you dress it up.

Wow, maybe his most impressive play of the season.. Stood in against a full assault, delivered the ball, took the hit - completion to get his team in FG range. Won't show up on a stat sheet - but that was impressive.

I agree. I haven't had a chance to watch this kid play til tonight but man it looks good. Kid could be really good.

Wondering if I should take Prescott as my backup qb. It's a limited move league. Like really limited, 7 moves. Probably too much risk to throw away a waiver move....

And none of it means shite. He does this in Wk 1? Ok then.

It does mean shite. It means a lot because he isn't even the starter. This isn't Goff about to be the teams franchise qb. This is just a mid rounder trying to make a career for himself. He looks like a pro in there and is making veteran throws while commanding the huddle. All against NFL defenses, it's relevant. No joke he is becoming a sleeper qb2 in fantasy worth a crazy flier just to have him rostered in case something wacky happens.

Wondering if I should take Prescott as my backup qb. It's a limited move league. Like really limited, 7 moves. Probably too much risk to throw away a waiver move....

Romo is another year older and proving to be as frail as ever. He's literally a glass chin out there.. It's risky with only so many moves allowed - but someone will do it.

Well, its nice to see nonetheless.

I like Dak. I liked his scouting report from day 1. It looked like he would eventually be a good pro. I just didnt think he'd look this good so soon.

yes, it is exhibition. but I think he has at least shown that he can be a decent #2 today.

and for the Cowboys situation, this is almost as good as it gets for now.

the kid looks to be for real. kept calm and eyes downfield against the SEA pass rush, even with 2nd team protectors.

3 of his 6 incompletions were drops. that weak effort by twill was just unforgivable.

Dak is the best Qb in the NFL!!!!!!... preseason. Last year Stafford was and he went from 15th to 9th. Year b4 Russel Wilson 8 to 3 (well he was 2nd but Connar Shaw doesn't count).

Could mean something or he can pull a Bradford who was 3rd last preseason.

There are already a few starting Qbs I can confidently say Dak is already better than. That's outrageous to say about a 4th round guy no one expected much from.

Dak is the best Qb in the NFL!!!!!!... preseason. Last year Stafford was and he went from 15th to 9th. Year b4 Russel Wilson 8 to 3 (well he was 2nd but Connar Shaw doesn't count).

Could mean something or he can pull a Bradford who was 3rd last preseason.

Are you talking about 3rd in preseason stats? I think we are going beyond stats here. Dak looks very good in that pocket. Now a big part of it is the offensive line letting him have so much time, but he still has to make the throws. Teams that go into the season without addressing a poor oline should be boycotted by their fan base. Invest all the resources in the qb and then watch him get hit play after play.

Russell Wilson tears up the Dallas 2nd team unit, at home, in the 2nd half - and everyone is gushing/giddy, ready to name streets after him... Dak does it, on the road, against their 1st unit - and it's just preseason....

Russell Wilson tears up the Dallas 2nd team unit, at home, in the 2nd half - and everyone is gushing/giddy, ready to name streets after him... Dak does it, on the road, against their 1st unit - and it's just preseason....

Amazing how one guy performs well and it's just preseason. Another performs well and it's a sign of greatness to come.