Sign in to follow this  
SMath3333

Zeke Without Romo

Is Zeke still first round worthy, or should he fall to second round?

I know that Dak looked awesome in pre season, but Cowboys offense really sputtered last year without Romo. Perhaps a healthy Dez will help keep the Cowboys offense on the field with Romo gone.

im not sure it matters. Dak is a threat to run a little bit which usually helps RB's. So this could be a good thing. Unless of course he can't do shiit as a passer and defenses stack the box. Dez going down would really drop Zekes redraft value.

Zeke ran thru and over the 8 man fronts Seattle thru at him Thursday night. And Dak was under center.

Oh my soul , please Zeke is a first rounder .

Rookie Aqaba tend to check it down a lot too. Zeke should see plenty of passes coming his way too.

I don't think this hurts Zeke much, but some. Last season, the defense played over their head to keep them in games, which gave DMC more carries. The Cowboys defense is without some important pieces now..... If they get behind, I don't think Zeke is going to do what we all expected. That said, if Dak can play well enough to keep them in games, then Zeke will be even better. Most RB's do even better alongside a running QB. I guess this all depends on what you think of Dak. If you see him as a team Savior, then draft Zeke even earlier. If you see him as a huge question mark, too raw or whatever, then drop Zeke in your rankings. I think it could hurt him some, but for me, I'll likely not move Zeke down at all. He's much more talented in the passing game than DMC and he will make up some of his points potentially lost in the running game through the air.

Zeke is going to get 25 carries a game now. Top 6 pick.

Which means he will shiiiiiiiiiiiit the bed for your playoffs imo

As a Cowboy fan and ex FFB player, I wouldn't draft Zeke early this year because of his off field problems that have yet to be resolved, also because he won't last long taking hits like he did last week.

Which means he will shiiiiiiiiiiiit the bed for your playoffs imo

Like AP?

As a Cowboy fan and ex FFB player, I wouldn't draft Zeke early this year because of his off field problems that have yet to be resolved, also because he won't last long taking hits like he did last week.

He was delivering hits though.

He was delivering hits though.

And? that doesn't count?

im not sure it matters. Dak is a threat to run a little bit which usually helps RB's. So this could be a good thing. Unless of course he can't do shiit as a passer and defenses stack the box. Dez going down would really drop Zekes redraft value.

Teams will stack the box until Dak burns em once or twice. He's a rookie QB, If you were a Defensive co-ordinator why wouldnt you stack the box and force him to beat you through the air?

I know I would.

I'd double up on Dez, have the rest stack the box and see what the kid can do.

I'd blitz in odd situations in an attempt to throw the kid off his game. This is what I see in the Near future.

if Dak plays well, they will try something different after a couple of games. And I'm sure Dallas knows what's coming too.

With the Monster O line they got, they should still be able to do okay running the ball. But it will be tougher sledding for a bit.

You all are trying so hard to talk yourself out of drafting Zeke .

In 2014, Dallas scored 30+ points ten times and failed to score 17 points only once.

In 2015, with essentially same O-line, they scored 30 points zero times and fell short of 17 points seven times.

I know Dez was hurt, and DeMarco Murray was gone, but Romo's absence was the main reason that offense stalled.

Romo might only miss half the season, then again Jerry is all about selling tickets so Romo might actually miss 10 games in reality and Jerry is just controlling the spin (recall Animal House scene,... "All is Well!"). Romo may even come back after six weeks and hurt his back or collarbone again.

I don't want to overreact and mindfluck my way out of pulling the trigger on Zeke, but I don't want my rose colored Cowboy homer glasses to fog my vision either.

You all are trying so hard to talk yourself out of drafting Zeke .

I'm drafting him if I can. I am only in keeper leagues. any potential keeper you dont worry about current production as much as future production (unless you feel this is your year to win)

That being said, the Dallas O line should be able to overcome the stacking of the box. they did last year with DMC. but you still need to take it into account.

I think Zeke has a real high floor and real confident he finishes as a top 10 RB; super low chance he does not. So as a late 1st, early 2nd round pick he is safe with the upside of running on that team. This is regardless of romo vs dak as QB. The guys is obviously talented. He will need to be a big part of their offense. Plenty of touches = he is going to be safe for you to draft early.

And? that doesn't count?

No. He was doling out punishment. There is a difference.

I dunno guys. We got a rookie RB running behind a rookie QB, and everybody and their mom is arguing for him to be an early first round pick. Good luck with that.

The Hype Train done gone runaway on this one.

• Like 1

I dunno guys. We got a rookie RB running behind a rookie QB, and everybody and their mom is arguing for him to be an early first round pick. Good luck with that.

The Hype Train done gone runaway on this one.

Good for me. Tonight he slipped to me at 2.04 and I'll take that anytime.

Read option reality. If you are incredible you are Russell Wilson. If you are great you are Kaep or RG3. If you are very good, you are in the CFL. In other words Dak better be incredible because great ain't good enough in the NFL.

Gurley did wonders with the Rams last year playing on a team that threw 11 TDs for the season. Their O-line was average, and I'd be hard pressed to name a receiver from the Ram's team circa 2015.

Translation: Zeke is, at worst, equally talented to Gurley, is in a better situation, with a better supporting cast than Gurley.

Zeke should sleepwalk his way to 1,100 yards and 8 TDs--AT LEAST.

Read option reality. If you are incredible you are Russell Wilson. If you are great you are Kaep or RG3. If you are very good, you are in the CFL. In other words Dak better be incredible because great ain't good enough in the NFL.

I would say he is more of a pocket QB than Kaep and RG3.

Gurley did wonders with the Rams last year playing on a team that threw 11 TDs for the season. Their O-line was average, and I'd be hard pressed to name a receiver from the Ram's team circa 2015.

Translation: Zeke is, at worst, equally talented to Gurley, is in a better situation, with a better supporting cast than Gurley.

Zeke should sleepwalk his way to 1,100 yards and 8 TDs--AT LEAST.

Honestly, Zeke is a rookie.

the best comparable I'd use is DMC.

While Zeke may be better than DMC, he doesnt have the experience of DMC

Most of the time DMC started, Romo was out of the lineup. So his production in those 12 games (or whatever it was) should be on par with what I expect Zeke to get in his rookie year.

Zeke is better in terms of durability and power, but DMC is better in terms of speed and experience. I acknowledge Zeke is fast too. the difference is rather small.

but the two will roughly offset each other to some degree. I'd use DMC's numbers (in terms of fantasy points per game) as a baseline, and add a premium to those numbers to account for Zekes better power. That is what I am expecting from Zekes rookie season. This is on the assumption Romo misses most of the season.

If you think Romo plays more than 5 games, you can bump these numbers up a bit more.

no looking at DMC's numbers for the games he started, the median looks to be just over 11 fantasy points a game .

So I'm projecting 12-13 fantasy points per game for Zeke in his rookie season. If Romo comes back sooner, that number could jump to 14 or so.

While Zeke may be better than DMC, he doesnt have the experience of DMC

RB experience is one of the most overblown qualifiers there is. That makes a huge difference with QBs, offensive lineman, WRs and certain defensive spots. But for RBs, outside of pass protection - it's exaggerated.

Gurley stepped into a bad supporting cast and ran for 1100 yards and 10 td's.

RB experience is one of the most overblown qualifiers there is. That makes a huge difference with QBs, offensive lineman, WRs and certain defensive spots. But for RBs, outside of pass protection - it's exaggerated.

There was a good article fftoday did on 3rd year rbs a few years back. It showed a correlation between experience and stats.

There was a good article fftoday did on 3rd year rbs a few years back. It showed a correlation between experience and stats.

Gurley stepped into a bad supporting cast and ran for 1100 yards and 10 td's.

Despite a corrolation, its still the position that matters least when it comes to experience and is indeed exaggerated. Compared to wr and QB, RBs have a far easier time transitioning from college to the pros. I do not bump a guy up at all for being a more experienced rb. you miss out on the Edgerrins, Ap, Portis etc when you do that.

This wasn't a Jonathan Bales article was it?

Despite a corrolation, its still the position that matters least when it comes to experience and is indeed exaggerated. Compared to wr and QB, RBs have a far easier time transitioning from college to the pros. I do not bump a guy up at all for being a more experienced rb. you miss out on the Edgerrins, Ap, Portis etc when you do that.

RB is the fastest depreciating position there is on a football field. Outside of pass protection, there really isn't a schematic learning curve. Your job is simple and it is defined - run in this hole and don't put it on the ground. Your ability to be quick, fast and strong far outweighs the probative value of being experienced. And of course, you're the fastest and quickest the younger you are.

I've always heard that the RB position is the easiest one to transition from college to pros. I think it makes sense too. How much of a difference is there other than speed of the game? Blocking is probably the most important thing they have to learn.

No. He was doling out punishment. There is a difference.

which could be another factor in him not making it through the yr. This isn't the big 10

which could be another factor in him not making it through the yr. This isn't the big 10

I wouldn't worry. Zeke isn't Iron Head Heyward - that's not his game. He will deliver a hit when necessary, but he will use his head too (pardon the pun).

I don't think he's gonna run like that all year.

the best comparable I'd use is DMC...

I couldn't read much more after this doozy of a statement.

Any more news on his domestic charge? Any chance it costs him time this season?

Seems to be a non issue at the moment. I haven't seen any news or rumors which is good. Last I heard it sounded in favor of Zeke.

Any more news on his domestic charge? Any chance it costs him time this season?

The accuser has been referred to the DAs office if she wants to pursue... Right now the authorities are not going after him bcoz (apparently) there were witnesses in the car that say she wasn't assaulted at all. [with her story being that zeke assaulted her while she was in the driver's seat of her car]

Math is hard.

I hope coordinators do math this way. We could split Williams and Witten out - one of them would be uncovered.