Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

What's the dumbest thing you've ever seen in one of your drafts?

Anyone have any good stories or something ridiculous that happened in their draft?

We had a first in our league this year a guy in round 13 + 14 took a kicker. We only start one kicker but he does have a backup.

So naturally the comments were pretty funny. S*** there goes the back-to-back kicker run we were all worried about. Good Times

Myself.

Last year some stoner bar tender in our bar league took Jesse James in the 6th round because she liked his name

Guy tried to take Troy Aikman with pick 1.01...

.. in a keeper league. He'd already kept Aikman.

2 years ago, a guy in one of my leagues drafted a kicker with his third-round pick. And then proceeded to defend his idiocy.

My first ever draft, years ago when fantasy football was still new, I took a defense in the 2nd round. Yeah I know, it's bad. I will say I had downed a pint of vodka in about 30 min before that so at least I have an excuse.

It at least ended up being the top Defense that season and I finished runner up so it didn't hurt me too much. Who knows though, maybe I would have won if I had drafted differently.

This just happened this past Sunday. I should start by saying there are like 4 Packer homers in the league, so strange sh!t happens because of that:

- Packer homer drafts Jared Cook early. How early? Third freaking round.

- Seahawks DST 3rd round (bad auto draft settings)

- Chandler Catanzaro (Kicker - Arizona) with the 36th pick in the 4th round (same guy as Seahawks DST)

That was it for this draft. 2 yrs ago we had an extremely drunk guy take QB's with 3 of his first 5 picks.

A guy took two kickers, the first was pretty early. His explanation was he needs an indoor kicker and an outdoor kicker.

I like this logic...

My buddy took a offensive lineman (well tried, messed a name up), took Steve/Chris Everett, something like that a long time ago, we still give it to him about that, and then later in the same draft, he took Ben Coates I think was his name, the TE for NE a long time ago, and proclaimed he was a bad white man (he's black!).

Oddest thing this year, two things come to mind, that same guy took Eifert way too early (like round 6 in a 10 team league, usually a 12, hate 10 teams), then grabbed his backup.

Someone also took V. Cruz in like the 9th round (seems crazy to me, that is like last round if you somehow think he is going to make it back).

Guy in our league took Jim Harbaugh back in the early days of fantasy in the first round.

While I'd lost interest in a 9th round selection of CLE's marquee rookie receiver after watching him and RG3 display little in the way of chemistry Thursday night, I still sent my bud an appreciative nod as he selected Coleman in the 10th. That changed abruptly to face palms and head slaps all around just 8 picks later though when the real Corey Coleman was selected. Turns out the first guy had secured the services of NO WR Brandon Coleman. :doh:

Some dope in my league took Paxton Lynch with Goff and Wentz still there, thinking he was going to be the week 1 starter lol then someone else scooped Semien.

May have you all topped.

Back in the 90's, had a guy in a 12-teamer (still active league today) take Al Freakin' Del Greco at 1.01.

If I'm lying, I'm dying

A guy took two kickers, the first was pretty early. His explanation was he needs an indoor kicker and an outdoor kicker.

I had a guy last year take 2 kickers as well. We have deep benches and pick-ups cost $5. So it's not too bad. Except one got injured and the other was cut a couple days beforehand.

My first ever draft, years ago when fantasy football was still new, I took a defense in the 2nd round. Yeah I know, it's bad. I will say I had downed a pint of vodka in about 30 min before that so at least I have an excuse.

It at least ended up being the top Defense that season and I finished runner up so it didn't hurt me too much. Who knows though, maybe I would have won if I had drafted differently.

"years ago"? My league was formed 27 years ago. It was basically unheard of then. Only one guy still in the league who has been in it every single year. We're at 14 this year.

May have you all topped.

Back in the 90's, had a guy in a 12-teamer (still active league today) take Al Freakin' Del Greco at 1.01.

If I'm lying, I'm dying

Thats fantastic.

On an old Message Board called AntSports if any of you are familiar... but there was a legendary story about the two Marc bulgers. As Legend goes somehow two guys managed to draft Marc Bulger and were placed onto their teams and the commissioner instead of seeing the problem and rectifying it just allowed two Marc bulgers in the league. I don't recall exactly how that happened but it's still pretty fantastic

May have you all topped.

If I'm lying, I'm dying

Close the polls, folks! We have a winner!!!!! :thumbsup:

"years ago"? My league was formed 27 years ago. It was basically unheard of then. Only one guy still in the league who has been in it every single year. We're at 14 this year.

The team I alluded to earlier is 36 years old this year (started in 1985), and still has 3 original owners. I got in in 1999.

• Like 1

The team I alluded to earlier is 36 years old this year (started in 1985), and still has 3 original owners. I got in in 1999.

Yeah, gotta love old school fantasy football back before the internet when it was all done on paper. lol

I think the buy-in for the our league started at $25. It's at $100 now. I've been in it for about 12 years with a couple years off early on.

Auction league where money counts all year long for things and we just had a guy pay $15 (5% of cap) on a kicker.

In 1998, the second year of my fantasy football tenure, a guy took Tony Gonzalez in the 2nd round (no ppr), and followed him up with Adam Vinatieri in the 4th.

One guy in big money league took John Kitna with the 1st pick in the 4th round. I guess it was possible he could have had a good year, but everyone knew he wouldn't and just laughed at the guy. That one still gets brought up.

We did have a guy this year try to take 4 different guys who were already drafted. Kept scratching out the names. He finally settled on Ladarius Green.

In one of my live draft leagues it is a tradition to drink at least one 40oz Old English. Last year one guy finished his 3rd 40 before the end of the 5th round and passed out before his pick in the 6th. We could not wake the dude up to make his picks for the rest of the draft. Every so often we made sure he was still alive and took turns making the picks for him. Needless to say he did not make the playoffs.

May have you all topped.

If I'm lying, I'm dying

Thread over.

this year's draft I saw a team forfeit their second pick to keep the Seattle Defense. That's a good D/ST combo... not quite sure I'd have done that given that just about every year I can find a decent D/ST sitting on the WW as no one predicted they would do well.

Gronkowski going for $60 (of a $200 cap) in our .5 PPR league.

Oh, I forgot to mention that TE isn't a required position and can only be played in the one RB/WR/TE Flex. Only Brown and Beckham went for more money.

Oops, misread thread title and posted dumbest thing this year.

A guy in a $300 draft 2years ago picked Seattle D 3rd overall and followed up with Wilson rnd 2 (his adp was around 8th rnd). Standard normal scoring.

Bonus followup to that story: I played that guy week 1 with my all star team (lacy 10th pick even though he had adp of like 4th overall, Graham had his highest adp, just a sick team.). This guy was such a numbnuts he forgot to set his lineup for the thursday opener in which the seahawks were playing! So he wasnt even starting his first two picks and had to pick up scumbag free agents! Yep you guessed it, he beat me by 2 points. I missed the playoffs by 1 game that year. I missed the playoffs in a league where I had the best team because week 1 I lost to a guy who picked a defense rnd 1 and didnt even start them. FF is skill lol.

Another story from a dif league: You all remember the year Boldin became a Raven? That year he had some adp I forget, but it wasnt that high, and Flacco was pretty low too. Anyway, the slow witted village idiot in our league (who has won 2 championships to my 0) Took Flacco/Boldin back to back rnd 1/2, again normal scoring. Pretty sure he made the playoffs that year too, but I cant remember for sure.

We're starting our 18th season and still going strong.

Good thing is we have 8 of 12 that are originals, myself included, and 2 more that have participated since like our 2nd or 3rd season. So we're an experienced group at this point.

Draft day is by far my favorite day of the year, lol

Had a guy show up to our draft, a competitive league that's been going for 10+ years now. He was the fill in after an owner dropped out, because he was "a huge football fan". The guy bragged about being knowledgeable etc. 1st pick was Steve McNair...the Ravens McNair in 06'. 2nd round was Chargers team D, 3rd round was San Diego kicker. At this point we were just angry we had to spend the season with this guy in a competitive league, focking everything up for the rest of us.

Last year some stoner bar tender in our bar league took Jesse James in the 6th round because she liked his name

Looks like a good pick this year

We did have a guy this year try to take 4 different guys who were already drafted. Kept scratching out the names. He finally settled on Ladarius Green.

This is why I love our live draft,you pull this sh!t you do a shot of whiskey each time.

Got asked to join a league some years ago,guy said it was quite competitive,an owner takes San Diego D 1st round,10th pick,I fell off my bar stool laughing.