Sign in to follow this  
murf74

NFL is a bad product this year

I for one watch less due to the protests, and I know other people who don't watch at all because of them.

You're an idiot who buys too much into media hype if the protests have killed it for you. I don't care much one way or the other, haven't gone looking for it, don't listen to talk radio and the like... and I haven't seen a damn thing about protests on the field. Not once has it impacted my viewing experience in any way

You haven't "seen anything" because you are a stupid Libtard tool.

Lol at people who will stop watching a game they like because someone before the game is making a political statement. Thin skinned entitlement right there.

You haven't "seen anything" because you are a stupid Libtard tool.

I rest my case.

You know, I don't support the protesters. There's a time and a place and that ain't it. But in no way shape or form does it impact my enjoyment of the game.

I'm a Bears fan. The NFL has been difficult to watch for me since the day after they lost to Rodgers in the NFC Conference Championship. The true measure of the decline will be how I watch when the Bears are good again. In short, ask me in 2025 or so!

Lol at people who will stop watching a game they like because someone before the game is making a political statement. Thin skinned entitlement right there.

Some people weren't that invested in it to begin with. Made it easy to walk away. For me it's like playing golf. I didn't like it that much, but did it for social reasons. When I stopped caring about that, I stopped playing. I know plenty of people who paid attention to football for social reasons, but don't care enough to stick around for this nonsense.

I was close to walking away years ago but FF bought me back in. Now i pretty much watch only because of FF. Dont have a real allegiance to any teams, just players on my fantasy team

Some people weren't that invested in it to begin with. Made it easy to walk away. For me it's like playing golf. I didn't like it that much, but did it for social reasons. When I stopped caring about that, I stopped playing. I know plenty of people who paid attention to football for social reasons, but don't care enough to stick around for this nonsense.

That's fine if you do don't like football that much. It's just a matter of letting your emotions be dictated by what some guy does on the sidelines before the game. If you wanted to, you could choose to ignore it rather than letting those people decide for you how much you will enjoy it. If you want it to get to you, it will get to you. If you don't, it won't. :)

Some people want to be offended. You can choose if that's you or not.

That's fine if you do don't like football that much. It's just a matter of letting your emotions be dictated by what some guy does on the sidelines before the game. If you wanted to, you could choose to ignore it rather than letting those people decide for you how much you will enjoy it. If you want it to get to you, it will get to you. If you don't, it won't. :)

Some people want to be offended. You can choose if that's you or not.

We're talking about why ratings are down, but there seems to be some denial going on that the protests are a factor. My experience says different. Your's may differ. I'm still watching, just a little less. And the protests are not the main reason for me, but it's a part.

We're talking about why ratings are down, but there seems to be some denial going on that the protests are a factor. My experience says different. Your's may differ. I'm still watching, just a little less. And the protests are not the main reason for me, but it's a part.

I know, and I'm just commenting on people deciding to not watch something they enjoyed for a reason I find to be a bit silly. To be clear, I don't find the protests silly. I find it silly that someone who likes football will choose to get upset enough to not watch because of what these guys are doing. That's all I'm saying.

For the record, I also think it's entirely backwards to call those kind of protests 'unAmerican'. I think loving your country enough to face criticism and try to change its problems to be quintessentially American. But that's beside the point of people choosing to let themselves be offended. :)

Peace.

With all the money this league rakes in, with everything at stake, they should be doing better than this club of clowns in zebra suits.

This league needs full time refs, hell they need referee academies. What they have now is a joke.

Way to many commercials, to many running qbs that kill the exciting part of the game of passing downfield, to many players crying to the refs, to many stupid celebrations of first downs and ridiculous crap by players, no longer allowed to hit due to lawsuits by former players, protest hurt as well. If it wasn't for fantasy football I wouldn't care if I ever watched another game.

The product is watered down because of the CBA. Teams can only afford to pay a few players top dollar, and then save on other positions by using players that are restricted as to how much they can make through rookie contracts.

The protests haven't made me watch less, but the constant commercials have. I can't watch a Thursday, Sunday or Monday night game anymore. I tape it and fast forward through the commercials. Kickoff, commercial, play for no gain, flag, flag, incompletion, punt, commercial. Rinse and repeat.

I also think I am finally over saturated on fantasy football.I'm in six leagues; two fun for a little money, and then I have over $1100 tied up in high stakes leagues. It has become a job. If I play next year I'm only doing one high stakes league and the fun leagues.

The talent pool is watered down on top of more injuries. They should contract 2 teams and go back to three 5-team divisions in each conf. Jax is an easy cut, not sure who the other team would be.

The talent pool is watered down on top of more injuries. They should contract 2 teams and go back to three 5-team divisions in each conf. Jax is an easy cut, not sure who the other team would be.

Probably San Diego.

It'll never happen, but I liked the NFL best when it was set up this way. The playoffs made sense, and it was a lot rarer that a wild card team with a better record had to play a division champ on the road.

IMO the football itself isn't bad.

I don't like Goodell and all his rulling this and that. I think he has been overall bad for the sport.

I don't like flags for a celebration. Come on, let them have a tiny bit of fun. Seriously! lol

Players acting like something other than a football player. Not cool. Get over yourself. You can barely beat out Blaine Gabbert to start on a terrible team.

Injuries. Would increasing padding or changing the protection gear reduce the number of injuries? Maybe not, but I think it's worth looking into. The injury rate continues to be alarming.

Perhaps counter-intuitively, the opposite is probably true. The equipment has gotten much better so the players feel more protected, thus take more chances. If they went back to the dinky helmets with a single bar for a face mask and the smaller shoulder pads, you'd probably see a lot fewer injuries. Same thing is probably true in hockey.

If they went back to the dinky helmets with a single bar for a face mask and the smaller shoulder pads, you'd probably see a lot fewer injuries.

Maybe eventually. All the current players who have no idea how to play with that gear, at a slower speed, will likely be paralyzed along the way first.

It should be Cleveland, put that city out of it's NFL misery.

LoL yea not many pups being born from the dawg-pound these days. Besides who wants to be in Cleveland or Chicago.

I rest my case.

You know, I don't support the protesters. There's a time and a place and that ain't it. But in no way shape or form does it impact my enjoyment of the game.

So you'll still watch if the players are allowed to give a Nazi salute?

So you'll still watch if the players are allowed to give a Nazi salute?

So you're equating a gesture born from a desire that people be treated fairly to a gesture born from a desire to murder people?

Excellent perspective on life. Yes, people who want racial equality are just exactly 100% like Nazis. Pure genius.

So you're equating a gesture born from a desire that people be treated fairly to a gesture born from a desire to murder people?

Excellent perspective on life. Yes, people who want racial equality are just exactly 100% like Nazis. Pure genius.

Maybe at one time the black power salute was about equality, but it has morphed into something else. Now its about disrespect and ingratitude. And besides, there are many, many other forums to express your political views. It's not 1968 anymore, with 3 networks as the only conduit to the populace. Let's just watch the games together for a few hours a week. You can give an interview, contribute to a cause, ect ect.

Maybe at one time the black power salute was about equality, but it has morphed into something else. Now its about disrespect and ingratitude. And besides, there are many, many other forums to express your political views. It's not 1968 anymore, with 3 networks as the only conduit to the populace. Let's just watch the games together for a few hours a week. You can give an interview, contribute to a cause, ect ect.

Hey, I'm not one of the ones who is having a problem watching the games. I'm able to separate my feelings about social injustice and political statements from my watching of a football game. So yeah, I can enjoy some football for a few hours, regardless of what these guys are doing pregame.

The people complaining, and turning the games off, are of course doing exactly what the protesters want. They want to further their political agenda, and they want to do it by calling attention to it, and hitting some pocketbooks. So the more people who get pissed and turn it off, the more people in power feel it, the more impact they are having, the happier they are.

I'm curious about what exactly African Americans are supposed to be so grateful about, however. The radical imbalance in crime statistics, for example? How is a gesture intended to symbolize empowerment of disenfranchised people actually about people who just aren't grateful enough? That sounds a lot like 'yes massah' sort of talk, on the surface.

I suspect that we better end this convo on this particular bored, however, or its likely to be ended for us. Not trying to 'get in the last word', or anything. I'm interested in this stuff, it's partially what I do for a living. So I can discuss this all day, and with someone intelligent like you, Troubadore, I enjoy it :) Just saying we'll likely get the mod smack down here soon :)

Peace.

So your saying there kneeling for people will turn off the games and therefore the NFL losses money and the players. You are a smart 1.

So your saying there kneeling for people will turn off the games and therefore the NFL losses money and the players. You are a smart 1.

If I can interpret your excellent grammar correctly as you insult someone's intelligence, then, yes.

The players right now are under contracts. The league losing money on TV contracts or merch, if that were to happen as a result, isn't going to affect what these players are making at all. That's not the way things work. The players will make just as much regardless if the league is hurt. Future players may make less, but that is little motivation.

Plus, you know, there's the whole notion that these are people making statements about things people think are more important than money. When you grow up, you might understand that sort of concept. For some people, principles, and the benefit of large numbers of people and society in general, is worth a possible pay cut. It's called integrity. Some people have it.

1) Stats based on people in the country dont support the kneeling.

2) Players already lost endorsement money.

3) Good luck on your crusade, I'm sure the country will hear your whining down the road from actions you brought on yourself.

1) Stats based on people in the country dont support the kneeling.

2) Players already lost endorsement money.

3) Good luck on your crusade, I'm sure the country will hear your whining down the road from actions you brought on yourself.

1) who cares? They are turning off games, which gets attention, which is what the protestors want. So thanks, thin skinned morons :)

2) which players?

3) not sure what you're mumbling about here. The ability to use punctuation would help you at least appear intelligent. But, me being a white guy, I'm fairly certain I'm not going to be suffering for my part in trying to explain social justice to some uneducated dude on the Internet :)

Funny thing is, all your statements are exactly what people said in response to civil rights, mixed race marriage, etc. So good luck with your head in the sand, bro. :)

I love it when fantasy football and unbiased politics get mixed together, especially on a topic that hasn't been covered nearly enough by the media.

I love it when fantasy football and unbiased politics get mixed together, especially on a topic that hasn't been covered nearly enough by the media.

Well, this whole thread was just begging for it, to be honest. How are you going to get out of a "the NFL sucks" thread without someone complaining that someone else is 'ruining it for them'?

Well, this whole thread was just begging for it, to be honest. How are you going to get out of a "the NFL sucks" thread without someone complaining that someone else is 'ruining it for them'?

Yeah, and how can we ever let someone post something we disagree with without a responding to it? I'm sure you changed his mind, he's changed your mind and you both discovered that there's no possibly way the truth is somewhere in the middle. Debating is as American as protesting. Just like protesting, some may not agree with the time and manner that it takes place, but you're free to do so and I'm free to ignore it. I'll go back to debating what I think this site should be debating, who's a bigger piece of fantasy football trash, ARob or Hopkins?

Yeah, and how can we ever let someone post something we disagree with without a responding to it? I'm sure you changed his mind, he's changed your mind and you both discovered that there's no possibly way the truth is somewhere in the middle. Debating is as American as protesting. Just like protesting, some may not agree with the time and manner that it takes place, but you're free to do so and I'm free to ignore it. I'll go back to debating what I think this site should be debating, who's a bigger piece of fantasy football trash, ARob or Hopkins?

Oh I have no doubts that I didn't convince him at all :) A discussion like that, in a place like this, is like batting practice.

FTR, Hopkins by a hair. I think he's a better overall talent with a better schedule (I think). But it could easily go Robinson, because they have no running game and Bortles is the one of the two QBs who had one good year. Coin toss maybe.

Probably San Diego.

It'll never happen, but I liked the NFL best when it was set up this way. The playoffs made sense, and it was a lot rarer that a wild card team with a better record had to play a division champ on the road.

No freakin' way.

Chargers are way too entertaining.

They pull games from their a$$, they shoot themselves in the foot regularly and have somehow managed to provide fantasy relevant players despite more injuries than Custer's men.

They could be 6-1, but they're the Chargers.

In terms of low fan base, yeah, the beaches are nice right now.