Preseason Week 2 Observations

Kicking off Week 2 tonight...

Thursday -

Baltimore @ Miami
​Buffalo @ Philadelphia

Tampa Bay @ Jacksonville

Friday -

Minnesota @ Seattle

- Winston and Bucs offense looked good, except for a few red zone issues. Jags didn't start top 2 corners though.

- For what it's worth, I don't think Folk ends up the kicker for Tampa this year. Missed an extra point, then missed a 47 yarder in the 4th. I know kickers don't matter that much, but whoever gets this job could be a useful option.

- Bortles is still terrible. They pulled him in the two minute drill for Henne, which says something. Henne then threw 2 perfectly thrown passes that should have been td's, but the WR's dropped both. A-Rob on the 2nd one.

- Robinson was open for a couple big gains earlier, but Bortles couldn't hit him.

- Starters played the first half for the most part for both teams.

- I know it's been against 3rd string d-backs, but Dede Westbrook at WR for Jax was on fire tonight. He played well last week too. Kid has a ton of talent but fell in draft due to character issues.

- Blount put the ball on the ground for Philly, and didn't look very good for the 2nd week in a row. Corey Clement scored and looked decent.

- Wentz threw a couple of really bad balls that should have been picked, but he lucked out. Mixed in two or three really good passes as well.

- The Bills offense, particularly Tyrod, looked horrendous with the exception of Shady, who played well.

- Zay Jones didn't have great stats and was inconsistent, but was close on a few plays and got open a good amount.

- Bills starters played much longer than the Eagles.

- Cutler looked decent for a guy who probably hasn't thrown a football in months. Mostly short stuff and wasn't out there long, but I'm not sure that he or Moore are any worse than Tannehill (which isn't necessarily a compliment).

- Ravens D better be able to carry them, because two weeks in the offense can't run block at all and Mallett has looked really bad for the most part. Impossible to get a read on what this team will actually look like to start the year. Chemistry and timing is going to be an issue for the early part of the year, at least. West runs hard and looks like he belongs in there.

- Didn't see as much of this game when the starters were in, but wasn't too impressed with either offensive line.

• Like 3

Zay had 3- 42 yards in a half where his qb sucked. Wouldn't say that he didn't have good stars.

96 catches over 1300 yards if he did that every half this season

Zay had 3- 42 yards in a half where his qb sucked. Wouldn't say that he didn't have good stars.

96 catches over 1300 yards if he did that every half this season

You're right, 3 for 42 is decent, but he had opportunity for more, including a score he didn't get his foot down on. The assessment was mostly positive, but you could see that he was a rookie at points. Tyrod was awful, I agree.

I think Zay is a nice late sleeper at this point, so if he goes 96 for 1300 then I guess it'll work out. It'll be with 0 scores though, if he did that for every half this season. :P

Won't be shocked if we see Henne start Week 1 for Jacksonville.

Me neither.

I will not own a Jag once again this season. Never have I seen such an offensive regression. Arob forgot how to catch. The QB forgot how to throw. And they think they are gonna run the ball? Will their defense ever live up to the high draft investment hype?

I'm going to jump on the hate train -

Bortles looked like a P.O.S.

Henne could very well take over (maybe not wk 1(?) but sooner rather than later.

That Oline is very questionable..I like Fournette but he's going early round 3- mid round 4 (in the mocks I've been doing) & I'm not sold he can be a #2 (or #1 in some cases).

Chris Ivory is garbage.

Fitzpatrick is done.

Now for some positive feedback.

Winston to Evans looks as good as advertised. Dougie looked good enough & may be a nice value where he's going.

DeDe Westbrook could be a nice late round grab & obviously in a rookie draft, I'd move him up a little.

Are people starting to feel confident with Doug Martin as a number 2?

He looks good

He looks good

I'm not sure I'd go that far but he's a flex & bye week fill-in for sure.

how did rodgers look? Part of my hesitance on martin is the potential for the team and rodgers to be hot when martin returns and they leave rodgers in because "it ain't broke"

He looks good

how did rodgers look? Part of my hesitance on martin is the potential for the team and rodgers to be hot when martin returns and they leave rodgers in because "it ain't broke"

Jacquizz got some time after Martin with the first team, but didn't do much. It was obvious that they were trying to use Martin when he was in there; not so much with Rodgers, he was more of an afterthought in terms of play calling.

If Rodgers is hot the first 3 games it could cut into Martin's time, but the Muscle Hamster looks like the better player to me. I couldn't take him as my #2, but I would as my #3.

Can someone please answer this question. The "professional" head coach and GM are both just now realizing that Bortles isn't just bad, but he is horrendous??? Why is Chad Henne the main backup?? Why didn't they address this issue earlier? I refuse to trust almost any head coaches or GM's judgement over my own. They are almost always pathetic at scouting player talent.

When Martin is on, he's a top 5 back in the NFL. However, when he is hurt, or otherwise unmotivated he's as pedestrian as they come. He seems to have gotten the message that he better kick it back into high gear and keep it there. I'd have him as a RB2 if it weren't for the suspension. So, I think RB3 sounds about right.

Can someone please answer this question. The "professional" head coach and GM are both just now realizing that Bortles isn't just bad, but he is horrendous??? Why is Chad Henne the main backup?? Why didn't they address this issue earlier? I refuse to trust almost any head coaches or GM's judgement over my own. They are almost always pathetic at scouting player talent.

We're talking about a guy who threw 35 TD passes his 2nd year in the league. He ranks right now as 13th in avg passing yards per game, that's in the entire history of the NFL. He's not fools garbage. He had it, and he seems to have lost it. I don't know if it's a confidence thing, a new offensive scheme thing or what? Though, if he doesn't find it, he'll be out of the league by this time next year. I hear RGIII is available. lol

DeDe Westbrook was ELECTRIC at Oklahoma. If I can't get good value drafting ARob I'll be targetting Westbrook as a late round dart throw. He could be this year's Tyreek Hill when you think about the similarities between the two both on and off the field. It all depends on how JAX chooses to deploy him.

I really like Zay Jones as another late round sleeper because of the opportunity with Watkins gone and the presence of Boldin.

I'm very high on Devante Parker breaking out this season and like him even more with the arrival of Jay Cutler. I just hope his price stays low.

• Like 1

I'm going to jump on the hate train -

Bortles looked like a P.O.S.

Henne could very well take over (maybe not wk 1(?) but sooner rather than later.

That Oline is very questionable..I like Fournette but he's going early round 3- mid round 4 (in the mocks I've been doing) & I'm not sold he can be a #2 (or #1 in some cases).

Chris Ivory is garbage.

Fitzpatrick is done.

Now for some positive feedback.

Winston to Evans looks as good as advertised. Dougie looked good enough & may be a nice value where he's going.

DeDe Westbrook could be a nice late round grab & obviously in a rookie draft, I'd move him up a little.

I'm happy to jump on the Bortles hate train.

I was on the wrong end of that Thurs night game vs the Titans where the Titans got up so big early that they just let Bortles go off in garbage time to the tune of 330 yards and 3 TDs. I stopped watching that game at half time and was livid the next morning when I saw the stat line.

F**k him. One more win means I would have won the regular season championship, and have had a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

Bortles never had it because he wasn't a winner. I'd be interested to see how many of those 35TDs were in garbage time with prevent defense.

Unless of course we're talking about FF only then I guess he had it. Even then you were pulling your hair out until the 4th quarter when he'd throw 2 TDs.

Henne is going to save ARob!

We're talking about a guy who threw 35 TD passes his 2nd year in the league. He ranks right now as 13th in avg passing yards per game, that's in the entire history of the NFL. He's not fools garbage. He had it, and he seems to have lost it. I don't know if it's a confidence thing, a new offensive scheme thing or what? Though, if he doesn't find it, he'll be out of the league by this time next year. I hear RGIII is available. lol

He has it and lost it??? I have never heard of this happening to an actual good qb. Lol!!! He has always sucked!!! He had an insanely easy schedule. Well he thew 35 tds so he must be good! Wow.

He has it and lost it??? I have never heard of this happening to an actual good qb. Lol!!! He has always sucked!!! He had an insanely easy schedule. Well he thew 35 tds so he must be good! Wow.

You know he's not the only QB in the history of the game that has had an easy schedule. You do know that throwing for 35 TD's is not easy right? You do know there's a LOT of really good QB's that have never thrown for that many TD's.

In the history of the game only 12 people have a better passing yards per game average. He was clearly doing something right at some point. I saw some of the "lowlights" from the preseason game and some of his passes were absolutely dreadful!

Clearly, he has regressed and I don't know why. Though, to say he has always sucked is laughable. Pretty easy to throw him under the bus now. Show me your posts from 2015 and 2016 where you enlightened us all that he has "always sucked." I'm guessing they don't exist.

Bortles has always had the same story, iffy play propped up by garbage time stats. If you can live with that, he can be a cheap and productive fantasy player.

They invested a lot in him. Can't just immediately move on without seeing if he gets better with experience

DeDe Westbrook was ELECTRIC at Oklahoma. If I can't get good value drafting ARob I'll be targetting Westbrook as a late round dart throw. He could be this year's Tyreek Hill when you think about the similarities between the two both on and off the field. It all depends on how JAX chooses to deploy him.

I really like Zay Jones as another late round sleeper because of the opportunity with Watkins gone and the presence of Boldin.

I'm very high on Devante Parker breaking out this season and like him even more with the arrival of Jay Cutler. I just hope his price stays low.

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!

100% Agreed

They invested a lot in him. Can't just immediately move on without seeing if he gets better with experience

I am not saying they should have cut him, but to have the backup plan be Chad Henne, when there were obviously major issues

You know he's not the only QB in the history of the game that has had an easy schedule. You do know that throwing for 35 TD's is not easy right? You do know there's a LOT of really good QB's that have never thrown for that many TD's.

In the history of the game only 12 people have a better passing yards per game average. He was clearly doing something right at some point. I saw some of the "lowlights" from the preseason game and some of his passes were absolutely dreadful!

Clearly, he has regressed and I don't know why. Though, to say he has always sucked is laughable. Pretty easy to throw him under the bus now. Show me your posts from 2015 and 2016 where you enlightened us all that he has "always sucked." I'm guessing they don't exist.

They do exist. I'm not searching for them, but I always thought he was overrated. I know I'm wrong my fair share, I thought Carr was overrated too. I was wrong on him, though I still don't think he is as close to elite as some do. Bortles, never liked him.

I am not saying they should have cut him, but to have the backup plan be Chad Henne, when there were obviously major issues

Henne's a serviceable gap year QB. It's not like top backups grow on trees :dunno:

Henne's a serviceable gap year QB. It's not like top backups grow on trees :dunno:

He is 18-35 as a starter... I don't know how that is serviceable.

I drafted him in dynasty. I'm sure jax will just let him ride the bench and give him an end around every 4 games.

Keep trouting hurns out there fellas!

Watching Vikings at Seahawks right now, and *bam!* there's WR Kasen Williams again, with yet another ridiculously beautiful catch.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Edited to add an iconic shot of Williams' catch https://twitter.com/bettinahansen/status/898733651587850240

Yeah, that first catch was highlight reel material. Had a chance for a long TD and just misjudged it a bit. Kid was impressive.

Wilson looked great against the Viking starters. May have to draft him in my redraft leagues coming up despite my dislike of the team.

Fant injury looked brutal. Just got rolled up by Britt who was hustling over to help out.

He is 18-35 as a starter... I don't know how that is serviceable.

It's all about being not so awful that people stop coming to the games.

Henne is above that line

It's all about being not so awful that people stop coming to the games.

Henne is above that line

33% winning percentage. Average of about 5 wins per season at 33%. That's pretty awful.

so - to put this in FFB perspective, can anyone touch on the likelihood of his breaking into the 2 wr sets for seattle? or 3 wr sets? right now he is LISTED pretty far down their depth chart, not that that necessarily means a whole lot

Watching Vikings at Seahawks right now, and *bam!* there's WR Kasen Williams again, with yet another ridiculously beautiful catch.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Edited to add an iconic shot of Williams' catch https://twitter.com/bettinahansen/status/898733651587850240

so - to put this in FFB perspective, can anyone touch on the likelihood of his breaking into the 2 wr sets for seattle? or 3 wr sets? right now he is LISTED pretty far down their depth chart, not that that necessarily means a whole lot

I wouldn't bet on it being anything worth a roster spot for now.

Seattle seems to rotate their not Baldwin receivers a lot, but Baldwin and Richardson have been listed as starters, Lockett will get some packages and 3 wide sets.. that leaves Williams competing with Kearse for rotation and 4 wide spots...with Prosise and Graham above him as well.

I think he's a hard swing at a long payoff, but crazier things happen especially when injuries start happening.

Trying to figure Kasen out. This is his 3rd year with the hawks, why the sudden emergance now?

I believe back to back injuries...that being said, the guy is a long shot. Monitor but I wouldn't add except in the deepest of league.